Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

illectro posted:

Looking forward to trying TrackIR whenever the plebs get access to new builds :)
Edit: It seems to work great. But that overheat mechanic seems a wee bit aggressive.

Nice! Yeah I'm still getting a feel for what's correct. It's also going to be more forgiving in some ways on lower difficulties. I have some ideas to make it more interesting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Yep I was really wanting to make an update video, but I noticed the comment in the patch notes, so I'll be patient.

The overheat sound effects are just a bit too intrusive, I kept finding myself with both weapons overheating, and also sitting with a missile lock tone just waiting for things to cool off. In general the sound mix seems off to be honest, it seems to have lost a lot of low end rumble, perhaps it's the new cannon sound? I'll try and quantify that statement a bit more lucidly if I get a chance to look at it tonight.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

Kairo posted:

Hahaha. If you're joking, I hate you.

If you're not joking, I still hate you.

FWIW, surround works ok aside from some UI panel placement for unit info. It's not stretched or anything. I may try to ask the player if they are using Eyefinity/Surround and just divide by 3 for monitor placement.

Edit: One of my testers confirms my TrackIR implementation works great, so that's good to go.

Some of us do play with eyefinity setups. Here's mine, with bonus cats. 3600x1920 is awesome for games - everything from X3 to Civ 5 to Wasteland 2.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

oogs posted:

Some of us do play with eyefinity setups. Here's mine, with bonus cats. 3600x1920 is awesome for games - everything from X3 to Civ 5 to Wasteland 2.

I see three screens but only two cattes, what gives?

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

mirarant posted:

I see three screens but only two cattes, what gives?

The wife won't let me get more cats. Or screens. Or wives for that matter.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
This looks pretty sweet!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm guessing all the stream archives were deleted in the Great Twitch Copyright Wipe or whatever. Are they available anywhere else?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I think those cats are sunning themselves to your monitors.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That controller sure is excited to be there. :haw:

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
That's... why doesn't everyone do that?!!!!! Is that on one of the analog sticks?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
What are we even seeing there? I don't really know what the interesting point of that gif is. Something to do with controller tilt affecting the ship...?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Supraluminal posted:

What are we even seeing there? I don't really know what the interesting point of that gif is. Something to do with controller tilt affecting the ship...?
That's just the control reference menu which shows you what all the buttons on your controller do. He hooked it up so that you can wiggle the controller around. Why? Because he could.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
PS4 sixaxis support!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Essobie posted:

That's... why doesn't everyone do that?!!!!! Is that on one of the analog sticks?

Yep, right stick lets you wiggle around the control diagram. It's a cute little touch, although hardly practical.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Hey dudes -- yeah without context that image is kind of dumb. I was working on the controller map menu and decided to take a few minutes and add goofy wiggle support for the controller model. Turns out it's actually useful to inspect the controls, even if I didn't originally consider it like that.

This menu was implemented because it very quickly tells players what they can do in the game. It's a really cost-effective way of teaching them until I can spend time finishing the real tutorial mission(s) (which are notorious time-sinks on every project).

I am working on Starmap generation and unit placement for it at the moment. I used a minimal spanning tree algorithm for the first pass, but it doesn't provide enough choices or links, so I'm modifying that as best I can.

Hold me.

Edit: As with most of these algorithms, I have no idea they even exist until I google for stuff like, "How to link random points or nodes." I love the internet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Every game should let you wiggle around ui elements IMO

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That controller sure is excited to be there. :haw:

It looks more like it's desperately trying to break free of the label webbing. It's stressing me out!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm now actually a little surprised that nobody's made a controller setup screen that lets you control something on it... but not very since UI is often a get-it-done sort of process.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

I'm now actually a little surprised that nobody's made a controller setup screen that lets you control something on it... but not very since UI is often a get-it-done sort of process.

I think you're right about it being get-it-done, but I also think they normally just use 2D elements. Starfighter is super geared around putting UI geometry out in space anyways, so it was easier to make it readable/working like this.

Anyone remember Riddick's crazy UI? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwNok2lj4xs

This is still amazing to me.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

dupersaurus posted:

On Goldeneye's control screen, the analog stick reflects its actual position.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Kairo posted:

I think you're right about it being get-it-done, but I also think they normally just use 2D elements. Starfighter is super geared around putting UI geometry out in space anyways, so it was easier to make it readable/working like this.

Anyone remember Riddick's crazy UI? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwNok2lj4xs

This is still amazing to me.

I'd never seen Riddick, that's pretty rad. Just window dressing for all the usual stuff, but still cool.

In a lot of stuff there's a pretty strong line between menu world and game world, which is probably a big reason why. Obviously you don't have that problem (would it be much of a reach to make that ship in the gif controllable, instead of the controller?), but that requires a design decision that probably happens long before anybody is thinking about main menu screens. But I'm now thinking about Assassin's Creed and their white room during loading; you'd think it wouldn't be too terrible to make that available on the setup screen.

(Who am I kidding, it would be terrible.)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This isn't quite the same thing, but BioShock Infinite's graphics settings screen had a dude sitting there getting his shoes polished, and as you changed the graphics settings he and the scene would update in real time, so you could see what the different graphics options looked like. That was cool.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cicero posted:

On Goldeneye's control screen, the analog stick reflects its actual position.

This is exactly what I was thinking about. Didn't the buttons move also? I'm old.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This isn't quite the same thing, but BioShock Infinite's graphics settings screen had a dude sitting there getting his shoes polished, and as you changed the graphics settings he and the scene would update in real time, so you could see what the different graphics options looked like. That was cool.
Pretty sure this is the reason almost every single Valve game since Half-Life 2 has had a real-time scene rendered behind the main menu.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Great Joe posted:

Pretty sure this is the reason almost every single Valve game since Half-Life 2 has had a real-time scene rendered behind the main menu.
Which would be great if the menu didn't gray that out whenever you go to the graphics options and also Dota 2 doesn't have this nor does Team Fortress 2 or Day of Defeat Source or Counterstrike Global Offensive. But yeah that might be the reason. Bioshock does it much slicker though because you don't have to it "apply" either.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dupersaurus posted:

I'd never seen Riddick, that's pretty rad.

Do yourself a favor, and play Butcher Bay.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Butcher Bay is a legit great game. It's not even very long, so you really should give it a run through. It's without a doubt the best piece of the Riddick franchise.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Butcher Bay is a rare case where the game is arguably better than the movies it's based on.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Here's a fun look at the state of Enemy Starfighter's development...

back in October of 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqDb834sPjw

Orv
May 4, 2011

TerminalSaint posted:

Butcher Bay is a rare case where the game is arguably better than the movies it's based on.

Dark Athena on the other hand. :smithfrog:

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

Here's a fun look at the state of Enemy Starfighter's development...

back in October of 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqDb834sPjw

Still pretty awesome.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Which would be great if the menu didn't gray that out whenever you go to the graphics options and also Dota 2 doesn't have this nor does Team Fortress 2 or Day of Defeat Source or Counterstrike Global Offensive. But yeah that might be the reason. Bioshock does it much slicker though because you don't have to it "apply" either.
Fair point (though to be a complete rear end in a top hat: I did say almost :v:). I like it and I wish more games did it.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Some cool stuff from twitter:

http://i.imgur.com/vZEpub5.webm

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

mad.radhu posted:

Some cool stuff from twitter:

http://i.imgur.com/vZEpub5.webm

Aaand now I want TV-cam missiles as an anti-cap/subsystem option.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Fishstick posted:

Aaand now I want TV-cam missiles as an anti-cap/subsystem option.

:Mace flashbacks intensify:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
there was an invite-only VR event in Seattle:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/19/inside-seattle-vr-summit/

ZOOM, ENHANCE

"Seattle-based Marauder Interactive showcased its space combat title Enemy Starfighter."

sweet.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Something to tide people over until this comes out?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

TheMostFrench posted:

Something to tide people over until this comes out?

Awesome, but is FS2 still a pain in the rear end to get running on modern machines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Fart Car '97 posted:

Awesome, but is FS2 still a pain in the rear end to get running on modern machines?
Not really, no.

• Locked thread