Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I can't speak to the health of the TCG but Pokemon is still a massive, money-printing IP.

I'm going to start sorting all of my WoW TCG cards tonight and... I don't know... find something to do with them. I don't even know what to do with all this random bullshit. Maybe I can do the thing where I practice for hundreds of hours and eventually I can throw them into watermelons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
There isn't a Pokemon TCG thread right? My friends got some more recent cards and we got nostalgic about the game so we want to play again, but the cards I had in 2004 have been lost/sold. What's the easiest way to get back into the game (as in what should I buy)? (I've already tried the free online version, it was OK, but I want the actual cards)

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

radlum posted:

There isn't a Pokemon TCG thread right? My friends got some more recent cards and we got nostalgic about the game so we want to play again, but the cards I had in 2004 have been lost/sold. What's the easiest way to get back into the game (as in what should I buy)? (I've already tried the free online version, it was OK, but I want the actual cards)

Easiest way to get back in right now is to go buy 2x of the red genesect collection starter deck. That should give you 4 of almost all the must have trainer cards for the set. Then just toss in any old pokemons. I really like the new machamp which comes in the dark hammer precon,

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
E: Going to put this in the LCG thread, wrong place.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 14, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I preordered a starter deck box and booster box of Panini DBZ. Hopefully I can find somewhere in Denver that will support the game.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

If there is any Florida (Pinellas County) people looking to play Pannini DBZ, we have a location and a good group of people! Really excited to crack some packs today.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is there enough interest out there to get a Score/Panini DBZ thread started or should we just congregate here for the tine being?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I would like a dedicated thread, but I can't speak for anyone else.

This time around, it seems like the starter personalities are written with a specific style in mind. I got Goku in my starter, and I feel like if I don't make an Orange deck, I'm using him wrong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The starter deck Goku is definitely designed almost exclusively for Orange, but the promo Goku works really well in lots of decks (black, blue, and red [beatdown] all tested well).

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I would like a dedicated thread, but I can't speak for anyone else.

This time around, it seems like the starter personalities are written with a specific style in mind. I got Goku in my starter, and I feel like if I don't make an Orange deck, I'm using him wrong.

Probably not enough interest to get a thread going for now.

While I agree that the MPs are certainly most obviously useful with certain styles, I think there's a lot of potential for mixing them up. Goku, especially, strikes me as extremely flexible with his ability to get Drills out. I wouldn't mind having the ability to get Black Smoothness Drill or Red Forward Stance Drill out at any time. I'd like to give Krillen a spin with Orange Mastery, too, considering his higher PUR and the large number of Energy attacks in Orange.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oi. I went out to a store listed on Panini's website today to find out if they have any events planned in the future. They almost had no idea what I was talking about. Good thing I pre-ordered a box of starter decks, so I'll have decks to demo the game with to pull some people in with.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There was a sealed tourney near me this weekend; I wasn't able to go, but my friends all did, and most of them placed really well, or even won (though considering their pedigree as GKI winner I can't say I'm shocked, haha). The decks that did best were Blue Frieza since it really neutered anger decks and just had all around solid options and Namekian piccolo/gohan. Excited to see where things go from here!

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Star Man posted:

Is there enough interest out there to get a Score/Panini DBZ thread started or should we just congregate here for the tine being?

As someone who's considering just making a thread for a card game that hasn't even been mentioned in here, :justpost:.

If it ends up dying, just bring the discussion back in here. After all, this thread was pretty much the Doomtown Thread for a while until it's thread was made.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'll get started on something this weekend. I'll include as much as I can about the game during 2000-2004.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Why does Vegeta lvl 3 have the lowest max power level of any lvl 3 in the game. Vegeta lvl 3 is 150k, while everyone else's lvl 3 (apart from Ginyu) are at least twice that. Is it because of his ability?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Got my DBZ stuff today. Learned that every starter deck comes with a random high tech card that can be a personality or a mastery card alongside the other five high tech cards in the pack. And for some reason all of my starter decks came with an extra copy of Blue Round Through instead of Orange Truck Lift.

Got quite a bit of nice things out of my booster box as well. Stare Down, Namek Dragon Ball 7, most of the rare named cards, and several other staples for each style. Among my foils were Dragon Radar, Black Reflection, and MOTHER loving VILLAINOUS VISAGE.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure Orange Truck got pulled from the set because of legal issues (the truck in the picture says Chevrolet)

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
PANINI DBZ POST:

I played two games earlier tonight against a friend of mine. We played the Score version fanatically until the Buu sets. Due to our limited card pool, we each had 2 45 card decks that adhered to all of the other deck construction rules. That said, the games were short, brutal, and this testimony should be considered unreliable at best.

First game was Orange Goku (Me) vs Red Vegeta. Goku got to lvl 2 thanks to Orange Devouring Drill, then went back to lvl 1 in a couple of turns via his ability. Vegeta was stuck at lvl 1 for the entire game, and all of the Drills I had in play really let me dictate the flow of the game. Goku came out on top.

Second game was Blue Frieza (Me) vs Saiyan Vegeta. Frieza was able to slow down Vegeta's leveling considerably, but Vegeta was still able to reach lvl 3. Vegeta was able to trample over Frieza's defensive measures. Vegeta was triumphant.

It was a fun experience and I felt like the changes to card types really helped smooth out the gameplay. Even when I was losing, it still felt fun. We will see who triumphs in our grudge match of Orange Goku vs Saiyan Vegeta.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

We had a 16 man sealed event tonight of Pannini Z. We did a starter plus 3 boosters for spice. Had a great time myself, pulled Goku/Orange. Went 2-1 losing to Frieza Blue. Love the way the game plays minus some rules hiccups that we had, Im excited to get to building a constructed deck. I think I will probably build Blue Captain Ginyu.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I tried the DBZ game. It being fun aside, the designers really need a lesson in templating. If a card has more than one ability, it's a mess of words and all the abilities are written in one block of text. They should have used some big, clear symbols on the cards for things like endurance. Also there's a reason Magic has abilities written as "Cost: Effect". You could probably write things like "an energy attack costing 2 stages to perform" in a much more succinct way.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BJPaskoff posted:

I tried the DBZ game. It being fun aside, the designers really need a lesson in templating. If a card has more than one ability, it's a mess of words and all the abilities are written in one block of text. They should have used some big, clear symbols on the cards for things like endurance. Also there's a reason Magic has abilities written as "Cost: Effect". You could probably write things like "an energy attack costing 2 stages to perform" in a much more succinct way.

Strangely enough, there were things like that when Score was printing cards for Dragon Ball GT (which are also compatible with Panini's cards!). Observe:

The type of attack and what kind of damage it deals is in that box on the right. The field with that big white numeral was for endurance. Cards that didn't have endurance used a zero, but there was always something listed there. In the text box, a number followed by a colon indicated the cost in power stages required for the card. Sometimes it would be a different requirement, but it was always followed by a colon.

But instead, the Panini people are following too closely to the old templating.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

We had a 16 man sealed event tonight of Pannini Z. We did a starter plus 3 boosters for spice. Had a great time myself, pulled Goku/Orange. Went 2-1 losing to Frieza Blue. Love the way the game plays minus some rules hiccups that we had, Im excited to get to building a constructed deck. I think I will probably build Blue Captain Ginyu.

I've been wanting to make a Piccolo Namekian Dragon Ball deck, but my starter decks contained Goku and Frieza. Here's hoping a community forms in my neighborhood so I can get some trades going.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I really want to buy into the game. We have an established LGS and quite a few games do well there ( magic, yugio, UFS, weis schwarts ) but i am reluctant as the buy in seems a little high on this game, and i dont want to drop $200 and have there be no community.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I was considering running some events at my LGS to foster some kind of community, then I realized this game is ostensibly for kids as well as adults.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I was considering running some events at my LGS to foster some kind of community, then I realized this game is ostensibly for kids as well as adults.

Do kids even know what Dragonball is anymore?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's not Naruto, but yeah DBZ is still a thing with kids.

I'm going over to my friend's place for a box-opening party tonight, woop. Apparently one of them already pulled Heroic Energy Sphere; If it were me I'd have that poo poo on Ebay within minutes, but he's actually A Good Player who could feasibly use it to win events so he'll probably hold onto it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
From what I can tell, Piccolo Namekian and Trunks Saiyan are pretty good decks so far. Still need to try out Goku Orange and Krillin Black.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Star Man posted:

From what I can tell, Piccolo Namekian and Trunks Saiyan are pretty good decks so far. Still need to try out Goku Orange and Krillin Black.

A friend of mine built a crazy Piccolo Namekian DB/Anger deck, it's super weird and cool. Blue Krillin has also been real strong. Trunks Saiyan seems good, but I'm not sure if it can compete with the raw damage of Vegeta Saiyan.

e: Speaking of, my mostly-complete Vegeta Saiyan deck seems to be going pretty smoothly (just missing two Stare Downs and as many Villainous Visages as I can get). It's a lot less auto-piloty than I expected, which I like - Beatdown was always my least favorite style in old Z. Built Blue Ginyu Ally too, but haven't played it (and it's missing a few more cards than saiyan). Fun fact: Ginyu's level 1 and 2 powers don't say "You may search for an ally," so it's actually a hazard to run Nappa in the deck since Blue loves set-ups so much and you can hit situations where you MUST put him into play.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 26, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I heard Namekian Gohan is an absolute beast

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bowmore posted:

I heard Namekian Gohan is an absolute beast

It's probably the fastest anger deck. Definitely has the best matchup against Blue, which is obviously anger's weakest.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've been playtesting with Vegeta in a red deck and relying on critical hits to quickly gain anger is just not enough. I just love how the style that's built around winning the game by MPPV can't compete with the style built around discard pile manipulation at its own game. Namekian Knowledge Mastery is just so good. It's a style that supports all three victories.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

I definitely feel Red Mastery is flawed. It being reliant on critical effects is pretty silly when Namekian Knowledge Mastery is bonkers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Apparently each of the styles (including masteries) were designed by a single person, with only a bit of checking between each to make sure there wasn't anything wildly - or at least obviously - broken about each. It resulted in each style having a very unique, distinct playstyle, but unfortunately I think each sorta became their creator's baby, and from what I've heard the guy who designed Namekian was a huge baby who got pissy if anyone tried to change his stuff. The original mastery had it so your final ball couldn't be stolen at ALL, which basically make it a hard counter to dragon ball decks since you'd just steal one ball and then their win condition didn't exist (barring double/triple victory decks). It's not much better now, since only Blue has a dragonball capture, but at least it's semi-future proofed.

Still, that doesn't even get at the actual problem with the mastery and how it interacts with anger. There's plenty of easy fixes, and I expect Aik to listen once good players come out and start complaining (with tournament and playtest evidence), but hopefully it happens sooner rather than later.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am not looking forward to seventeen pages of card changes again. They have got to figure this poo poo out before it goes to print.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I sorta don't mind that DBZ is a broken game, it having such lopsided matchups and distinct styles makes it feel like an old fighting game, and that's cool to me. With the new game playing so fast that feeling is only enhanced. But you still need a more than one or two Tier 1 decks, especially if there's going to be a huge gap between 1 and 1.5. What's particularly maddening is that they have no shortage of possible playtesters - Score was a lovely company who just happened to make a good game, but Panini seems like a pretty decent company and gave full creative control to the staff barring a few decisions handed down from Funimation (ie God Goku being a thing), there's really no reason for them to not just grab people they knew were good players and testers from the old game. They didn't even approach any of the Michigan players apparently, despite there being numerous World, National, and GKI champions here.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm okay with certain decks being the best until the next set comes out.

I guess my problem is that I used to carry a copy of the CRD with me everywhere that I played. My playgroup was almost entirely made up of high schoolers in 2001-2004, and it was always a loving killjoy to everyone, even during sanctioned events, whenever I had to point out a card's ability being changed. I'd really rather that Aik and friends don't let this become a habit again.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Panini has put up a new FAQ for DBZ on their blog. Nothing too big, but they clarified the "playing" vs "putting into play" thing that I'm familiar with from FFG LCGs. Makes all those Namekian cards that put Dragon Balls into play a little less ridiculous, at least.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Panini has put up a new FAQ for DBZ on their blog. Nothing too big, but they clarified the "playing" vs "putting into play" thing that I'm familiar with from FFG LCGs. Makes all those Namekian cards that put Dragon Balls into play a little less ridiculous, at least.

Namekian Knowledge Mastery reads, "whenever a Dragon Ball enters play". So it gets around the rule. What's also entertaining is that it doesn't specify who controls the Dragon Ball, so the Mastery triggers if your opponent plays a Dragon Ball.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm sorry, but with how many years of cards to go off of and how much money they've had to build this game, it's really pretty loving shameful that they couldn't get basic templating down at all. I mean, I was actually considering picking up a box of this when I heard they were rebooting this because my first expectation was that they'd be relaunching the game without the poo poo awful templating they had the first time, and yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Star Man posted:

Namekian Knowledge Mastery reads, "whenever a Dragon Ball enters play". So it gets around the rule. What's also entertaining is that it doesn't specify who controls the Dragon Ball, so the Mastery triggers if your opponent plays a Dragon Ball.

I got that, but at least they don't get the Dragon Ball effects unless they play them outright or use Dragon Radar.

• Locked thread