Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Speaking of Adventure Time, where is it?

I think it might be back next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don't forget...about the kids in...the old Charlie Brown tv specials. The weird pauses...that make their performances so memorable...are because...the kids could only read so many lines at once...without having to take a brake.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack Gladney posted:

Don't forget...about the kids in...the old Charlie Brown tv specials. The weird pauses...that make their performances so memorable...are because...the kids could only read so many lines at once...without having to take a brake.

Should've seen the tool they got to play the adults, drat.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jack Gladney posted:

IIRC some of them also couldn't read, so they had to be told what to say off-mic.

The only kid voice actor I can think of from an 80s/90s TV show is the one who voiced Slappy's nephew on Animaniacs. I remember they had some making-of special on once and they made a big deal about that and the fact that he came up with the line about Bill Clinton in the theme song (which they changed up later, of course).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

When did Nicktoons become "Nick Sports" at night? I don't mind because the entirety of the block seems to be the Speed Racer movie, but odd that Nickelodeon is rebranding all of their channels Nick At Nite style for a couple of hours overnight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

raditts posted:

When did Nicktoons become "Nick Sports" at night? I don't mind because the entirety of the block seems to be the Speed Racer movie, but odd that Nickelodeon is rebranding all of their channels Nick At Nite style for a couple of hours overnight.

Not sure exactly when it happened but right now its the time of year when failing cable networks tend to get overhauls to make them more viable after upfronts dash their final dreams. Boomerang for instance will now run more recent content, have ads, and produce original programming.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Barudak posted:

Not sure exactly when it happened but right now its the time of year when failing cable networks tend to get overhauls to make them more viable after upfronts dash their final dreams. Boomerang for instance will now run more recent content, have ads, and produce original programming.

I wish Boomerang played stuff like Toonheads. I used to enjoy staying up late and learning facts about old cartoons while watching them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I wish Boomerang played stuff like Toonheads. I used to enjoy staying up late and learning facts about old cartoons while watching them.

Holy poo poo I loved that show! I was trying to remember what it was called a few days ago but couldn't remember the name.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaunab posted:

That groovy as gently caress Manilla Gorilla bump

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Acquire Currency! posted:

That groovy as gently caress Manilla Gorilla bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Cwxes1qo4

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Does Boomerang play those rad music videos CN had back in the day? Because Pain's "Jabberjaw" set the precedent for my musical preferences.

http://youtu.be/Vn1pf0Xi3nU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Barudak posted:

Well that's a shame to hear, although they've been showing recent stuff for a while (as recent as Teen Titans, at least). No idea what they're thinking with the original programming, I'm about as interested in watching Boomerang original programming as I am in watching it on TV Land.

Gaunab posted:

I'm pretty sure they used to way back when Boomerang spun off into its own channel. I used to love those shows when all CN had to show was stuff like that, Late Night Black & White, and Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

El Tortuga posted:

Does Boomerang play those rad music videos CN had back in the day? Because Pain's "Jabberjaw" set the precedent for my musical preferences.

They did between shows, yeah. Who knows if they still will after this overhaul. I liked the Jonny Quest one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BPtcHeByqc

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 23, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This one is cool too

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Speaking of station rebrandings, is there any noticeable difference in The Hub's daytime programming now that it's Discovery Family? Looking at the program guide it's mostly the same poo poo they've always shown. Just that instead of showing 80s / 90s sitcoms in the evenings / overnight it's giant blocks of all the Discovery Network dogshit that nobody wanted to watch on other channels, like Auction Kings and DC Cupcakes.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 23, 2014

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

raditts posted:

Speaking of station rebrandings, is there any noticeable difference in The Hub's daytime programming now that it's Discovery Family? Looking at the program guide it's mostly the same poo poo they've always shown. Just that instead of showing 80s / 90s sitcoms in the evenings / overnight it's giant blocks of all the Discovery Network dogshit that nobody wanted to watch on other channels, like Auction Kings and DC Cupcakes.

At this point, the entire channel's seen as a failure. The only reason the schedcule isn't enirely Discovery's leftovers is because the Hasbro shows still get them ratings. Although, obviously not good enough for them to have to rebrand.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

cartoons123 posted:

At this point, the entire channel's seen as a failure. The only reason the schedcule isn't enirely Discovery's leftovers is because the Hasbro shows still get them ratings. Although, obviously not good enough for them to have to rebrand.

I kind of figured they'd been staying afloat on the strength of creepy bronies alone. Too bad for them nobody cares about any of their other toy lines from the 80s and they canceled all the shows that were remotely good, I guess.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

raditts posted:

I kind of figured they'd been staying afloat on the strength of creepy bronies alone. Too bad for them nobody cares about any of their other toy lines from the 80s and they canceled all the shows that were remotely good, I guess.

That's pretty much it. By the end, they thought that toy shows and nostalgia alone would be enough, but the thing is in this day and age you need something more. It's not like the 80s and 90s when there was more reruns and such typically added into programming. Kids programming is already crowded with known names like Nickelodeon and Disney Channel, so if you want to compete, you really have to hit the ground running. The Hub kinda started out like that, but by the end, it fizzled. Fun Fact: An executive for the network said when it first started said that they expected to be half the size of Cartoon Network in five years. That's basically 500,000 total viewers. By the end of the network's lifetime, they were barely hitting 100,000.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Wow, Clarence just showed a gay couple.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, that was a little intense. Not the gay couple, that was impressively subtle, but Clarence going into near creeper territory trying to crawl under the stall and making that guy lose his eye. :ohdear:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Crabtree posted:

Okay, that was a little intense. Not the gay couple, that was impressively subtle, but Clarence going into near creeper territory trying to crawl under the stall and making that guy lose his eye. :ohdear:

I like how that guy gets more hosed up every time he shows up.

Clarence is weird because every single commercial for it makes me want to hate it, but then I happen to watch it when it comes on and it's really funny.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clarence owns hard as gently caress and I missed gay couple whoops

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

El Tortuga posted:

:hfive:
I defined a bunch of my current musical tastes by searching around the internet for "that Jabberjaw song from Cartoon Network" 3 or 4 years ago.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Jsor posted:

:hfive:
I defined a bunch of my current musical tastes by searching around the internet for "that Jabberjaw song from Cartoon Network" 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm not trying to derail the thread, but dude, dude, DUDE! Pain is legit one of the greatest punk/ska bands to ever have recorded music and it's a crime that they disbanded right before the step up the real mainstream music.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Groovies were the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4tIiZcJgmU
Devo :allears:

I still can't believe this exists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNBMHl3-Nco
Dexter's Lab had a whole rap album

I also enjoyed the little videos in between commercials where all the Cartoon Network characters hanged out around a town/office.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The thing with Clarence is, if you don't keep in mind at all times that he is a very young, very hyperactive child it's impossible to like him; he doesn't know any better and even with the very best motivations he still manages to do a lot of collateral damage.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

achillesforever6 posted:

I still can't believe this exists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNBMHl3-Nco
Dexter's Lab had a whole rap album

I also enjoyed the little videos in between commercials where all the Cartoon Network characters hanged out around a town/office.

Love Back to the Lab. Looks like you can get a used copy on Amazon for a reasonable price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2EKZ4J5t4c

I remember reading a breakdown of how this spot was made in Entertainment Weekly back in '99 or thereabouts. The writing process was something along the lines of "Well, Fred Flintsone's a crank, Chicken's a crank, so all we needed was an idiot to play off of them..."

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The intro to over the garden wall.

Edit: A lot of the music is done by the petrojvic blasting company.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 26, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thelaughingman posted:

drat those guys groove

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

thelaughingman posted:

Okay, that actually seems pretty cool. A jazz musical miniseries is something I can get behind. Still feels to me like it's trying a little too hard, but fine

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
I'm actually looking super forward to this, it kind of reminds me of the Little Nemo comics from the early 1900s meets Folk tales and old ghost stories of the south.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The whole series is on iTunes for :10bux:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

http://www.avclub.com/article/carto...eview:1:Default

Oh, aw.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Baby steps, people. One of these days it's going to stick.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it sucks it was watered down but it's better than nothing :unsmith:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think "censored" is a bit if an exaggeration. It wasn't super graphic or anything, but it was definitely unambiguous and way more than I expected CN to approve.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

I think "censored" is a bit if an exaggeration. It wasn't super graphic or anything, but it was definitely unambiguous and way more than I expected CN to approve.
I saw it and wondered if they were gay or if they were just acting in a greeting that they do in other countries. Mission accomplished, CN.

All the same, knowing what it is now makes me happy. :unsmith:

raditts posted:

They got rid of The Aquabats Super Show? Man, they suck.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

I saw it and wondered if they were gay or if they were just acting in a greeting that they do in other countries. Mission accomplished, CN.

All the same, knowing what it is now makes me happy. :unsmith:

They got rid of The Aquabats Super Show? Man, they suck.

Yeah, the second season was only like 5 episodes too :(

It's kind of funny how the same day I saw that Clarence episode, earlier that day they had a Looney Tunes block where Bugs crossdresses and kisses dudes on the mouth like it ain't no thing. I guess it's okay if they're different species.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Gumball is a great show and Clarence is pretty good when you realize that the energetic always positive main character isn't always proven right and most people treat him like they should.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Clarence is very hit or miss for me. Some times I do find it to be a bit much and find the obnoxiousness of the characters overwhelming (though never really untrue to an actual kid), but when it's good, it's really, really good.

I will say the opening theme is god damned amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

I miss Dan Vs :smith:

What a weird show to be on the Hub of all things