Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Quick poll, who bothers with antistatic gear when opening up a machine? I always use it because one of my teachers was very serious business about it, but I've always been dubious about its usefulness when the machine is off and unplugged.

I think I have only bothered on gear that is practically impossible to repair or replace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
When I was a lot younger and working in a repair shop, my boss insisted that I wear decent shoes instead of rubber-soled trainers. We'd go back and forth on it until one day he threatened to fire me, so I came in the next day with leather-soled black shoes, showed them off to him and he seemed pleased.

He was a lot less pleased after I'd scuffed my feet on the floor and blown up three brand new desktops. :v:

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Cthulhuite posted:

When I was a lot younger and working in a repair shop, my boss insisted that I wear decent shoes instead of rubber-soled trainers. We'd go back and forth on it until one day he threatened to fire me, so I came in the next day with leather-soled black shoes, showed them off to him and he seemed pleased.

He was a lot less pleased after I'd scuffed my feet on the floor and blown up three brand new desktops. :v:

"Decent shoes" meaning "leather sole dress shoes"? In a repair shop? That's ridiculous.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I keep a non-coiled anti-static strap with me, and I will use it on any vendor hardware I have to open up, like Sonus' Media Gateways or Smart's Lync Room System hardware. It's really just a CYA thing, I doubt Sonus' DSP modules are as delicate as they say. That being said, I am usually in a cool dry environment at the point I have to go inside the case, it's just better not to risk it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sneakers/trainers just look less professional when dealing with clients/users/whatever, it's not totally unreasonable to want an employee to wear something else. There are plenty of black or brown rubber soled shows that basically feel like sneakers without making it look like you're coming back from a jog.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

larchesdanrew posted:

I guess I'm just e-mail program opposed, rather than specifically Outlook. At least if everyone is using the web interface, there's at least one loving thing at this place where everyone is using the same version.

This is a wholly unreasonable outlook regarding email. :hurr:

If you can't keep your email clients consistent and implement policies to keep things running decently, then it's a systemic failure if your IT department. You're wanting to solve the problem from the wrong end, guaranteed this userbase on a web based system administered by the same people would still find ways to make your live suck while using it.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think it'd be a very bad idea to wear an ESD strap if the equipment is plugged in and on. The only time you should use one is when the equipment is off and unplugged.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if your strap is not connected to a separately grounded mat and you're clipping it to the chassis, then unplugging the system will leave no means to ground out any charges via the chassis and render the wrist strap a lot less effective.
We were always told to leave the machines plugged in if possible for this purpose.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

AlternateAccount posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but if your strap is not connected to a separately grounded mat and you're clipping it to the chassis, then unplugging the system will leave no means to ground out any charges via the chassis and render the wrist strap a lot less effective.
We were always told to leave the machines plugged in if possible for this purpose.

This is what I've been taught as well. I guess if you're worried about getting zapped, you could always clip off the prongs for Hot/Neutral from a spare cable so that only the ground prong remains.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sneakers/trainers just look less professional when dealing with clients/users/whatever, it's not totally unreasonable to want an employee to wear something else. There are plenty of black or brown rubber soled shows that basically feel like sneakers without making it look like you're coming back from a jog.

I've quit jobs because of mandatory ties.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

CaptainJuan posted:

"Decent shoes" meaning "leather sole dress shoes"? In a repair shop? That's ridiculous.

That was my point. Customers never saw me, I spent most of my time on the floor plugging things in and he expected me in shirt, tie and shoes every day.

He also sold the lead tech's personal laptop to a customer. That guy was crazy. :v:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

AlternateAccount posted:

This is a wholly unreasonable outlook regarding email. :hurr:

If you can't keep your email clients consistent and implement policies to keep things running decently, then it's a systemic failure if your IT department. You're wanting to solve the problem from the wrong end, guaranteed this userbase on a web based system administered by the same people would still find ways to make your live suck while using it.

I wholly agree with this sentiment. I have no doubt that Outlook in a highly regulated environment is fantastic, but this is the polar opposite of a regulated environment and the longer I spend here the more I realize that nothing is ever going to change. My last two jobs have been me being the entirety of the IT department, but still having a cheap as poo poo supervisor, residing ankle deep in the general manager's rear end in a top hat, not allowing any sort of changes towards the band-aid laden system that has accumulated over the decades. I guess I'm just getting burnt out and subjecting the thread to E/N levels of venting.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TWBalls posted:

This is what I've been taught as well. I guess if you're worried about getting zapped, you could always clip off the prongs for Hot/Neutral from a spare cable so that only the ground prong remains.

I wonder if anyone manufactures plugs like this, three prongs so that the plug fits nicely into a socket but only the ground is actually wired. INVENTION IDEA: DO NOT STEAL!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

I wholly agree with this sentiment. I have no doubt that Outlook in a highly regulated environment is fantastic, but this is the polar opposite of a regulated environment and the longer I spend here the more I realize that nothing is ever going to change. My last two jobs have been me being the entirety of the IT department, but still having a cheap as poo poo supervisor, residing ankle deep in the general manager's rear end in a top hat, not allowing any sort of changes towards the band-aid laden system that has accumulated over the decades. I guess I'm just getting burnt out and subjecting the thread to E/N levels of venting.

What are you using for your email server? Exchange or some POP3 or IMAP based host?
One comment I have heard about Outlook, was it is a terrible email client but it is the absolute best Exchange client.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Varkk posted:

What are you using for your email server? Exchange or some POP3 or IMAP based host?
One comment I have heard about Outlook, was it is a terrible email client but it is the absolute best Exchange client.

We're using Rackspace email. I'd prefer google apps, but my requests have been denied repeatedly, even though we're paying way too much for too few available users with Rackspace. I mentioned Exchange at one point, but just got laughed at.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

larchesdanrew posted:

It's time to get a new job.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I wonder if anyone manufactures plugs like this, three prongs so that the plug fits nicely into a socket but only the ground is actually wired. INVENTION IDEA: DO NOT STEAL!

It would be easy enough to make for yourself, just use two pieces of plastic for the hot and neutral leads, and then metal into the ground receptable.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't use ESD period and I deal with open circuit boards all day. I just touch a grounding plane on the power supply first. :v:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One of my esd bracelets has a ground-pin-only IEC socket instead of the typical banana plug or clip.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Way back when I was a wee lad I was playing Doom 2 on my 386/40 (gently caress you, the 486/33 dx was too expensive) with in-ear headphones plugged in directly to the Soundblaster line out. I touched the monitor screen to brush off some dust and shocked myself with static electricity through my loving ear canals. It hurt like gently caress and fried the goddamn motherboard.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I've never had a situation with static charge when dealing with computers... except for that one time last February when my supervisor handed me a netbook that was open and running. The second I touched it I loving saw electricity shoot out of my fingertips like I was a Sith lord and the drat netbook immediately powered off.

Forever.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Did the same thing plugging a data cable into an (consumer) UPS. Autopsy revealed the micro-controller or whatever was really loving close to edge of the board and the connector I was touching (zapping the poo poo out of).

Got it replaced under warranty though :toot:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Imagine having to wear dress shoes and visit clients where you have to wear steel-toes. It took me for-loving-ever to find steel-toed dress shoes.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I've worked at a pretty big european IT outsourcing company that had a 80MB no PST policy (in 2006). If somebody asked you for an email forward from 3 months ago it was an acceptable answer that that email simply did not exist anymore. For some reason this led to a lot of discussions with customers on past agreements and responsibilities :iiam:

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Hoping for some YOTJ news today; either way I'm getting sloshed tonight.

EDIT: wrong thread but I'll post a ticket I got yesterday.

"We need you to install three copiers at a place today"

So I look it up. Great, 30 miles away.

I meet the delivery driver at the location. He walks up with a confused look on his face.

"This lady says we are at the wrong location, the one we are supposed to go to is another 60 miles away"

Awesome. So I get there, and the delivery driver is 45 minutes late because he got lost.

Then we discover, this place has 4 flights of stairs and no elevator/ramps because it's a historical landmark.

Oh, and two of the power outlets weren't rated for the size copier we installed.

Also, one of them was supposed to be able to fax and nobody installed the fax board.

On TOP of that, one of the copiers was missing an entire transfer roller because someone forgot to check the machines before we shipped them.

Lareous fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 24, 2014

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

m.hache posted:

Never used it.

That being said I've heard numerous times that static buildup can be enough to mess with hardware.
It supposedly can lead to non-immediate issues through static damage to semiconductors, reducing the lifespan of processors.

I guess it's conceivable, but I have no idea to what degree it might affect components.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
The helpdesk that I'm supported by is based out of country. I got this yesterday:

Hello Oyster,

I need your assistance with this asset number x00bptv0 to update the records. The machine is currently out of scope which I need your assistance to have this machine added. The below information is provided to help you locate the machine.

Thank You.

Serial Number
· Address
· Floor
· Room
· Contact Name
· Contact Email
· Phone Number
· IP
· MAC Address

And the machine in question wasn't X00BPTV0, it was X00BPTVO, which is completely in-scope. A very common mistake and I'd really love to strangle whoever thought including 0's and O's on the same tags would be a good idea.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Oyster posted:

The helpdesk that I'm supported by is based out of country. I got this yesterday:

Hello Oyster,

I need your assistance with this asset number x00bptv0 to update the records. The machine is currently out of scope which I need your assistance to have this machine added. The below information is provided to help you locate the machine.

Thank You.

Serial Number
· Address
· Floor
· Room
· Contact Name
· Contact Email
· Phone Number
· IP
· MAC Address

And the machine in question wasn't X00BPTV0, it was X00BPTVO, which is completely in-scope. A very common mistake and I'd really love to strangle whoever thought including 0's and O's on the same tags would be a good idea.

Whenever I write down 0 vs O I put a slash through the number to differentiate.
I also write in all caps when it comes to serial numbers so I and L are different.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

And if you're typing a message where there might be confusion, change at least that string to a terminal font that makes the difference obvious.

code:
0O0O0O0O0O

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Lareous posted:

Hoping for some YOTJ news today; either way I'm getting sloshed tonight.

EDIT: wrong thread but I'll post a ticket I got yesterday.

"We need you to install three copiers at a place today"

So I look it up. Great, 30 miles away.

I meet the delivery driver at the location. He walks up with a confused look on his face.

"This lady says we are at the wrong location, the one we are supposed to go to is another 60 miles away"

Awesome. So I get there, and the delivery driver is 45 minutes late because he got lost.

Then we discover, this place has 4 flights of stairs and no elevator/ramps because it's a historical landmark.

Oh, and two of the power outlets weren't rated for the size copier we installed.

Also, one of them was supposed to be able to fax and nobody installed the fax board.

On TOP of that, one of the copiers was missing an entire transfer roller because someone forgot to check the machines before we shipped them.

This is all a sign from the god of common sense logistics saying "These people should not get copiers"

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

sfwarlock posted:

Imagine having to wear dress shoes and visit clients where you have to wear steel-toes. It took me for-loving-ever to find steel-toed dress shoes.

Jesus Christ! You IT people can find ANYTHING! :D

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Some lady is complaining that she is getting failures recalling emails in Outlook. She said its been happening for months.

I am so tempted to tell her "stop sending emails you regret" and close the ticket

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And if you're typing a message where there might be confusion, change at least that string to a terminal font that makes the difference obvious.

code:
0O0O0O0O0O

I had a friend declare a variable using entirely I l ! and | just because he knew it would be impossible to visually parse.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

God why?

Although for true fuckery youd have several like that all the same lengths of different types in a strongly typed language declared at various, random points in a several hundred line function.

But who did he hate so much?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Kurieg posted:

I had a friend declare a variable using entirely I l ! and | just because he knew it would be impossible to visually parse.

Kill your friend. No jury would convict you.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

God why?

Although for true fuckery youd have several like that all the same lengths of different types in a strongly typed language declared at various, random points in a several hundred line function.

But who did he hate so much?
Bad programmers use this for obfuscating code as if search and replace didn't exist.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

I like your friend, we should go drinking together.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

nthalp posted:

I think I have only bothered on gear that is practically impossible to repair or replace.

I never use it - last time I was required to was at an old computer shipping place I worked for, where I was in the warehouse doing PC assembly and testing. I've killed more hardware with fumbling fingers, dropping, stabbing with a screwdriver (Socket A CPU days), or spillage than with ESD.

Galler posted:

Did the same thing plugging a data cable into an (consumer) UPS. Autopsy revealed the micro-controller or whatever was really loving close to edge of the board and the connector I was touching (zapping the poo poo out of).

Got it replaced under warranty though :toot:

drat right - I had a client get zapped by lightning a couple months back and it took out almost all their hardware, including some Dell and HP laptops. Called Dell and HP both, stretched the truth a bit and said that they had a site wide power outage and everything but these pieces of hardware came back up. Got all of it replaced under warranty, the only thing we had to get new was their Mitel phone system server, main DC server, and a 48 port network switch.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 24, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think the way he did it was code the program normally and then find replace the variables before submitting it to the professor for review.

The response was basically "cute, now no-one do this again".

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So there's problems with Lync 2013.

Massive problems.

One of the biggest problems we have is a memory leak. When Lync runs for a few days (because no one ever logs their computer off), Lync eats up 600mb of RAM.

600mb. For a glorified chat program.

Microsoft just recommended us to open a $200/hr ticket with them to fix the issue. To fix their OWN GODDAMN PROGRAM.

This isn't even mentioning the 2 crashes I had yesterday for no goddamn reason...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The problem with lync is it allows people to talk to me when I am busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigPaddy posted:

The problem with lync is it allows people to talk to me when I am busy.

If I don't answer my phone, I know an IM will pop up within a minute or so.

• Locked thread