Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I lost a tank donut in Sturgis changing my jetting and my killswitch no longer clicks in because I took it apart to clean it after I landed upside down in a mud puddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
My 2011 DRZ SM has almost 10k km on it. After it warms up, when I let it idle on the kickstand (leaning left), everything sounds normal. When I lift the bike upright, or lean the bike to the right, I hear an extra clicky clicky vibrationy sound, coming from the left side of the engine.

I'll try and grab an audio recording next time. It's subtle, but it's there.

Any idea what this could be?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does it go away when you pull the clutch in?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does it go away when you pull the clutch in?

Nope.

Here's a recording. I'm sitting on the bike holding my phone near the left side of the motor, slowly swaying the bike left and right with my feet on the ground. The phone was mostly kept at a fixed distance from the motor. At the 0:04, 0:08, and 0:13 second mark, the bike is leaned right.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4220513/moto/New%20Recording%203.m4a

epswing fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 23, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Have you done the locktite fixes?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Those aren't really needed past 2005 model bikes I thought? You can still red loctite the countershaft sprocket (and hate your loving life when it comes time to change it) but I thought the other stator fix had been taken care of by 2006 or so?

E: It seems TT suggests they can be done on all years.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/548456-stator-and-starter-clutch-loctite-fix/

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 23, 2014

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
People put the -red- loctite on the CS nut/sprocket? I just used a little of the blue stuff and thought I was going to hurt myself getting that thing off.

Seems a bit overkill, but that's thumpertalk I guess.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

Have you done the locktite fixes?

Actually, no. Uh oh :ohdear:

Edit: So...how do I know if I'm boned or not.

epswing fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 24, 2014

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Marxalot posted:

People put the -red- loctite on the CS nut/sprocket? I just used a little of the blue stuff and thought I was going to hurt myself getting that thing off.

Seems a bit overkill, but that's thumpertalk I guess.

Weak. My CS sprocket is made of Red Loctite.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
According to TT there's a specific type loctite that should be used on the countershaft splines to keep them from turning to cheese.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
There's something odd about my DRZ that I've been wondering about for a while now. If I let it sit for a few days without running the drat thing takes a while to actually start.

If I've used it the day before, it'll cold-start almost immediately without choke. If it sits for a few days I have to turn the choke on and lay on the starter for 5-7sec. Could the carb be slowly draining itself/gas evaporating? Petcock slowly flooding the carb? Fuel mix screw way off?

E: It's an sm with the fcr carb, if that answers anything.

e2: I realize the obvious answer is "try it with the prime on" but that would involve having it sit for a week :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 8, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

There's something odd about my DRZ that I've been wondering about for a while now. If I let it sit for a few days without running the drat thing takes a while to actually start.

If I've used it the day before, it'll cold-start almost immediately without choke. If it sits for a few days I have to turn the choke on and lay on the starter for 5-7sec. Could the carb be slowly draining itself/gas evaporating? Petcock slowly flooding the carb? Fuel mix screw way off?

E: It's an sm with the fcr carb, if that answers anything.

e2: I realize the obvious answer is "try it with the prime on" but that would involve having it sit for a week :v:

The obvious answer is actually to ride everyday.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

After mine sat for a while i had to turn it to prime while starting then back to on. It's normal

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Did my first track day yesterday with a big SuperMoto group I ride with. We went to IMI in Dacono, CO and ran on their Go Kart track. First few laps were I was kind of nervous, but the second and third sessions I was more focused on maintaining my lines and getting low in the turns. Scraped toe a few times because I'm still trying to get a knee down instead of kicking my foot out.

It was a blast, and well worth the $40 price of admission. As the day wore on it got more crowded, with several really aggressive guys on Sportsbikes. They weren't a problem for most of the more seasoned guys (including one who was a pro AMA Supermoto racer, and he spanked the poo poo out of them) but it was a bit off-putting to have them undercut me in a corner.

Eventually they started flagging us in after 15 minutes so all the Go Karts could go for an hour, so we packed it in.

Probably 4 guys went down all day, two low-sides early that the guys walked away from (worst damage was a broken brake reservoir). On the last session, a guys YZ went boom as he was passing me. The oil slick took out two bikers, a KLX and a Panigale. KLX got a bent brake lever, Panigale got a broken mirror and a bit of scuffing on the clutch cover.

Pic of the blown up YZ motor.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/husqvarna-701-concept-headed-for-production/25772.html

I don't much care for the bodywork, but :drat:

e: Seriously it reminds me of the xbox 360 for some reason.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 23, 2014

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Marxalot posted:

e: Seriously it reminds me of the xbox 360 for some reason.

Great; now I can't unsee it.

Yeah, the bodywork is just OK and the headlight is a bit weird, but I LOVE the color scheme for some reason, especially with the high-viz greenyellow and I really like the seat/"tank".

If they release a 690 SMC in the states under the Husky brand and it looks like that, I may just have to abandon my reasonable plans to get an FJ-09 or a Ninja 1000 with saddlebags.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I'm not a big fan of the Half-Life Combine styling, especially the headlight, but anything that brings new supermotos to NA is good with me. I'm in the market for a new bike but I probably wouldn't be able to justify cost over my current 690SM, unless they crammed an 1190 RC8 in there. If KTM did that, I'd be selling my car/organs/treasured possessions to preorder.

Color scheme owns.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Going down to my buddies place to get my DRZ back tomorrow. He did the 3x3, FCR39MX and jetted it for me. Guy is a broker and has had a ton of DRZ's had had this to say "This is the strongest DRZ motor I have seen".

Apparently it power-wheelies in 2nd pretty easily now.

So excited. Been a week since I've had any Brap in my life.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just tossing this out there, now that I have a versys and no drz, if anyone wants an fcr-mx with all the bells and whistles, let me know

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Akion posted:

Apparently it power-wheelies in 2nd pretty easily now.

front tire lifts half inch off the ground menacingly

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

Probably. :(

I live in the city, so wheelies are a bad idea anyway.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
You're probably gonna have to yank those bars pretty hard in second to get it off the ground.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

Poor DRZ, ain't never gonna gets some respects from Spiff.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This thing is fuuuuuuuuun. I think I might have a little bit of something floating around in the carb, though. I have an intermittent issue where at low RPM the bike stumbles. If you snap the throttle open ~1/8 it will kind of bog when this is happening, and holding the throttle open 1/8 under load (IE, driving down the road) causes it to stumble as well.

Gonna run the poo poo out of the bike and see if I can blow whatever it is out of the carb. I don't think it's an AP or jetting issue because the bike runs great otherwise, and the issue isn't constant.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
bogging down in the low end like that is p much always a dirty pilot jet

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Well it happened. Someone hosed with my bike.

I didn't ride a lot this year because of a back injury. I went out to reattach the trickle charger, and it appears someone decided to steal some bodywork. Problem is, I bought the bike with the current aftermarket parts, and I'm not even sure if there was a filter in there and I don't know what that panel is called so I can replace it. Any help? It's either UFO or Acerbis plastics. The bike also has the 3x3 airbox mod and FCR39 if that helps.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Might check for piss in your intake...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
An entire new set is like 130 bucks or something if you want to go that route from Acerbis or UFO. I like the Acerbis front fenders I've had so I'd trust them.

You're looking for the air box cover. If you don't have a filter you can buy a UNI or TwinAir filter or something. I forget if that filter needs a cage or not but that's something you can look up on a microfiche or whatever.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Baller Witness Bro posted:

An entire new set is like 130 bucks or something if you want to go that route from Acerbis or UFO. I like the Acerbis front fenders I've had so I'd trust them.

You're looking for the air box cover. If you don't have a filter you can buy a UNI or TwinAir filter or something. I forget if that filter needs a cage or not but that's something you can look up on a microfiche or whatever.

I should've gotten a better picture - there's a caged circular filter inside, I just don't remember if there was another loose filter in the opening pictured.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

robotsinmyhead posted:

I should've gotten a better picture - there's a caged circular filter inside, I just don't remember if there was another loose filter in the opening pictured.

Nope. Just that one. Here is a pic of mine with a TwinAir installed:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Speaking of Acerbis, black zip ties are the heavy duty ones right?

after about 3 hours of dremeling and drilling and sanding later I finally get the rear fender to fit, only problem is the hole for the screws dont line up :argh:. Also while I was shoving the fender in a wire came loose out of one of the connectors and I spent 20 minutes trying to hold 2 wires and a connector in place while I wrapped it in electrical tape :smithicide:. Just need to find a black gas tank and a black headlight assembly and I should be set!

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Oh, late update/edit: tried to start my bike to move and park it for the winter and found out they slashed the fuel line, opened the petcock, and drained the tank.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

robotsinmyhead posted:

Oh, late update/edit: tried to start my bike to move and park it for the winter and found out they slashed the fuel line, opened the petcock, and drained the tank.

They took the time to cut your fuel line and drain a DRZ's worth of fuel? Are you posting from post-apocalypse Australia?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

ReelBigLizard posted:

They took the time to cut your fuel line and drain a DRZ's worth of fuel? Are you posting from post-apocalypse Australia?

Time? On the SM you literally just unplug the exposed line (or cut it) and set the petcock to Prime.

e: It's how I got gas for my lawnmower the other day. I really didn't feel like going to the gas station, so the bike just donated a bit.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Sure it's not a lot of effort, but you'd need the forethought to bring a container that wont melt and you're only going to get a few quids worth of fuel out of a dirt bike. I could see doing it on a large car or something where you might at least get a couple of jerry can's worth.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
It has an aftermarket Clarke 3.8ish gallon tank. You can see the fuel line cut in the picture I originally put up. I didn't try to start it at that time because it was cold as gently caress outside and the battery was flat.

There's a new one-man repair shop in town, so I hopped over there and he cut me off a 1ft piece of Tygon hose so I could repair it. Finally got it fixed, pushed it to a gas station, topped it off for the winter, and took it to my parents' house. Apparently, parking under a deck downtown in a small Indiana town is just asking for trouble.

I was thinking about selling the bike next year and upgrading, but I'm super paranoid about it being outside anymore, and parking it full-time at my parents' house is inconvenient at best.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It's about time to put the DRZ in my living room for winter. I also need to finish my minitruck's wood flatbed so I can take it down south to visit some friends and ride some trails in December.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That truck owns

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Yerok posted:

It's about time to put the DRZ in my living room for winter.

Bit of a crosspost from the questions thread, but I'm planning on doing this with mine for the winter as well. Instead of draining the tank I'm going to remove it, should I bother draining the carb as well? Would leaving the carb without gas for ~4 months be any sort of corrosion/rust risk? I'll be running stabilizer through before storage.

The bike will be scrubbed and wrapped up in a cover, any other tips/suggestions for hiding it away indoors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Well I'm planning on taking mine back out in December for an enduro trip so I'm just gonna leave the no-ethanol 93 in my tank/carb, throw a tender on the battery, and have it uncovered on a stand in my room/living room. I didn't drain my FCR last year, didn't use any stabilizer, and I didn't have any problems at the beginning of this season.

• Locked thread