Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Alternatively, watch it and experience 20 minutes of bij. :gowron:

Oh my god. I had that board game. Horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What is so terrible about Kuvira? The governor of Yi was not happy with the terms of annexation but they didn't say what they were.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Goons sure are eager to jump on board with fascism, I guess!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rincewind posted:

Can't wait for Korra to institute a constitutional monarchy and have the people elect Kuvira as Prime Minister, then president, or however Putin stays in power.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Baron Bifford posted:

What is so terrible about Kuvira? The governor of Yi was not happy with the terms of annexation but they didn't say what they were.

Desire for political autonomy

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah this was a step down but, like, they JUST HAD an episode that was focused entirely on Korra dealing with trauma, and this show was made for Nickelodeon, and the scripts were definitely sent to them for approval before the whole ONLINE ONLY thing.

Also the whole thing is that Korra's going to see that Kuvira just wants order and peace but is going to fascist lengths to get it, and now that she's able to understand that she'll be better able to fix the situation.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rincewind posted:

You know it!

Anyway, definitely agreed with the consensus on this episode. The only tolerable parts were Toph and those wonderful soldiers.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

You know it!

As Paradox LPs go, so goes the Korra nation.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Bad people sometimes have good ideals at the core of what they do, and you should try to learn from them even when they hurt you" is a really good lesson to teach kids (and adults!), and they put it in the mouth of one of the most badass women in television history, so for that alone I like this episode.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Hauldren Collider posted:

Does anyone actually like Meelo, Ikki, Jinora, or Kai? Anyone? At least Kai's balls dropped, but his VA is still terrible.

Jinora is pretty cool. Meelo and Ikki are annoying kids, though. Meelo is aggressively unfunny in addition to being annoying.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"Bad people sometimes have good ideals at the core of what they do, and you should try to learn from them even when they hurt you" is a really good lesson to teach kids (and adults!), and they put it in the mouth of one of the most badass women in television history, so for that alone I like this episode.

Very true.

I didn't mind the Airbender kids hijinks and shenanigans. I can see how the episode is supposed to be a bit more lighthearted after the past few episodes have all been political maneuverings, coups, rumors of prison camps, etc. It felt like an early ATLA episode with Aang's shenanigans. Ikki and Meelo definitely take after their grandfather.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah this was a step down but, like, they JUST HAD an episode that was focused entirely on Korra dealing with trauma, and this show was made for Nickelodeon, and the scripts were definitely sent to them for approval before the whole ONLINE ONLY thing.

Also the whole thing is that Korra's going to see that Kuvira just wants order and peace but is going to fascist lengths to get it, and now that she's able to understand that she'll be better able to fix the situation.
Where did you get this?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I liked the episode enough but Meelo went from funny, if a bit too forced and annoying at times to grade-A insufferable.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm going to miss blunt object Korra intimidating judges, breaking into town hall to bully a councilman, beating up police officers, threatening to kill her foes, and generally just bludgeoning her way through life. Good times.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

I'd think the prison camps would indicate she's not exactly an ideal ruler.

Rosalind posted:

I'm going to miss blunt object Korra intimidating judges, breaking into town hall to bully a councilman, beating up police officers, threatening to kill her foes, and generally just bludgeoning her way through life. Good times.

Don't forget beating up spirits in Yue Bay!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sato posted:

I'd think the prison camps would indicate she's not exactly an ideal ruler.
Oh yeah, that too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zedd posted:

I liked the episode enough but Meelo went from funny, if a bit too forced and annoying at times to grade-A insufferable.

This is pretty much my opinion. I liked his interaction with Toph tho.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I do hope that Zaheer makes an appearance at some point. As the only living villain, and Kuvira's diametrical opposite, it would make sense for Thea to seek out wisdom from him, especially given what Toph just taught her.

Plus we can always use more Rollins :rock:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Rosalind posted:

I do hope that Zaheer makes an appearance at some point. As the only living villain, and Kuvira's diametrical opposite, it would make sense for Thea to seek out wisdom from him, especially given what Toph just taught her.

Plus we can always use more Rollins :rock:

I hope so too, though you're forgetting Hiroshi, who has been confirmed for this season

It's funny that we were talking about bad child actors because I felt that Henry Rollins's acting wasn't always that great as Zaheer. Some of his lines were a bit off, especially in the beginning episodes.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
so we are all just skippin' over the spot where Toph goes "yo those other villains you fought had good points, but they got really out of balance with how they went about achieving it"

'cause I thought that was something you all wanted pointed out by someone.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Man. I really did not need that much Meelo in my life.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
After this episode, I have a newfound appreciation for Pema.

Though it was she and Tenzin who created that monster, I guess.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Baron Bifford posted:

Where did you get this?

She almost stole Mussolini's gimmick of stealing power from a monarch.

Kuvira is clearly a fascist and they're not even being subtle about it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
1. lol @ Meelo's drawing skills

2. Glad they finally addressed that Amon and Zaheer had points. And Unalaq I guess.

3. I spent the first 18 or so minutes convinced it would turn out Toph was dead all along, and when the show made a point of showing the kids ignoring her, I thought I had called it. :geno:

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I'm kind of surprised people in this thread turned so hard against Meelo. It feels like we always have our share of apologists for the wacky "comedic" male characters (Meelo, Bolin, Varrick, Bumi).

That said, gently caress Meelo. I don't know what's worse, his fartbending or the awful plodding cadence of his speech (something he shares with Bumi).

I actually thought Ikki was fine. Jinora seems to be a lot better off when she's away from her siblings though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope Kuvira personally visits Toph's treehouse.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

TheModernAmerican posted:

She even makes the trains run on time.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Of all the villains so far, Unalaq's motives made the least sense.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The kids are know-it-alls, especially Jinora. And maybe it's just the way I grew up (I'm Asian), but I feel like they come off as rude when they address elders by just their name. Korra, whatever, but I feel like should have at least called Toph "Auntie Toph".

Yes, I know that would have would set up a shipping firestorm, and yes, I know the show is made by two white guys.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TheModernAmerican posted:

Well she hasn't shown any of the extreme nationalism or other beliefs that characterize Fascism yet. So far I'd say she's a military dictator and her political agenda hasn't been fleshed out yet. Definitely has the potential to develop into fascism though.

Wildeyes posted:

I'm kind of surprised people in this thread turned so hard against Meelo. It feels like we always have our share of apologists for the wacky "comedic" male characters (Meelo, Bolin, Varrick, Bumi).

That said, gently caress Meelo. I don't know what's worse, his fartbending or the awful plodding cadence of his speech (something he shares with Bumi).

I actually thought Ikki was fine. Jinora seems to be a lot better off when she's away from her siblings though.

Meelo is just really obnoxious and a total rear end in a top hat to everyone. Without the charm and badassery that Toph has when she does it. Alot of his dialogue was him being dismissive, bossy or sexist.

Also he's not funny, so there's nothing to apologise for his bad qualities.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 24, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
As with Amon, with Kuvira we can sort of fill in the blanks by referencing history. I wish, though, that the show would give more details rather than mere allusions.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Great episode, I love the kids they're fun and have great chemistry.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yes, I know that would have would set up a shipping firestorm,

What? Between the kids and Toph?

(Oh, you mean it would imply Toph and Sokka got together?)

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp - very nice episode, overall! Meelo was a bit grating (his VA really isn't that great...), but he had some funny lines, and I like how he is pretty much an unrepentant jackass. Even got a chuckle out of the glorious return of fartbending. Still, yeah, low point of the episode. He was basically a collection of one-liners that turned annoying the longer it went on; hopefully he either has a decent arc later on and some goddamn insight, or he never shows up again... Apparently I'm easier to entertain, though - he didn't ruin the episode or anything, and we had better scenes (like the two guards) to save the episode! :haw:

I did like pretty much anything else, though. Ikki was really entertaining - especially with those two soldiers. I hope they enjoy their snacks. While Korra's recovery did come rather quick, I don't mind - I don't think the whole point of it needed more time than this. Who knows, it might lead in to some even more interesting scenes - others said so earlier: this might be the reason Korra actually tries talking to earlier villains. Man, I hope she seeks out Zaheer.

Oh, and Toph, oh course. Also thought she'd turn out to actually be dead, but oh well. Toph stories, best stories.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

NextTime000 posted:

so we are all just skippin' over the spot where Toph goes "yo those other villains you fought had good points, but they got really out of balance with how they went about achieving it"

'cause I thought that was something you all wanted pointed out by someone.
I blame the thread title.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Not sure why everyone is so angry at this episode. I guess the kids don't really annoy me as much as everyone else. I thought it was enjoyable!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nephthys posted:

Meelo is just really obnoxious and a total rear end in a top hat to everyone. Without the charm and badassery that Toph has when she does it. Alot of his dialogue was him being dismissive, bossy or sexist.

Also he's not funny, so there's nothing to apologise for his bad qualities.

Yeah, most of the early part of this episode is like "Meelo is a bossy sexist jerk who makes life unpleasant for those around him...but he's a kid, so isn't it funny and adorable?". I could have really done with Jinora or Ikki telling him to stop being such a brat.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Not sure why everyone is so angry at this episode. I guess the kids don't really annoy me as much as everyone else. I thought it was enjoyable!

Same here.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Seriously, the kids weren't that bad. I found that one dumb guard obsessed with macaroons to be more obnoxious than Meelo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Fun episode. Wasn't put off by an episode with the kids and at least they didn't make a big deal about the fart thing.

It's just a shame they had to fix Korra so quick. Though I get why they have to- they don't have the luxury of a 20 episode season. It was either fix her now or fix her during some final battle (like they did with the LAB finale). Having her have serious PTSD for four episodes was good enough for me.

• Locked thread