Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surfwriter1
Oct 17, 2014

Isn't Carter supposed to take place in the 50s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

surfwriter1 posted:

Yes. I think we will get more of Whitehall's backstory in it.

surfwriter1
Oct 17, 2014

Ack. Phone reposted. Disregard.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
So wait, does Bobbi like the martini stirred with the olives, then removed?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

surfwriter1 posted:

No. It's set in 1946 and on. Which is a much more intriguing setting because not only is it when the SSR is transitioning into proto-SHIELD, it's also a much more dynamic time in European political history what with the growth of the Soviet Union, the partitioning of Berlin, etc, etc.

Any confirmed Howling Commandos appearances in it?

Also, regarding spoilers for the next episode: doesn't it sound a bit over the top? Hydra doing a fake 9/11 on UN HQ and blaming SHIELD? I feel like the show might gently caress up its current tone if it goes for something that big on the world stage.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
Sorry if this has been discussed before but does anyone else have a feeling ward will become an agent of shield again at some point? The scenario I see happening the force field gets shut down with enemies hydra on board and ward saves the team and makes a moving speech about how he knows he can't be trusted and to just lock him up again at which point coulson looks at him and says welcome to the good side.

I'm joining the thread late and I didn't feel like reading 44 pages so I'm sorry again if it's been tackled.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

6-year plan man posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed before but does anyone else have a feeling ward will become an agent of shield again at some point? The scenario I see happening the force field gets shut down with enemies hydra on board and ward saves the team and makes a moving speech about how he knows he can't be trusted and to just lock him up again at which point coulson looks at him and says welcome to the good side.

I'm joining the thread late and I didn't feel like reading 44 pages so I'm sorry again if it's been tackled.

If Ward tried that I can think of at least three people who would immediately shoot him in the head, and Coulson is one of them.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

6-year plan man posted:

I don't see Ward joining short of some kind of reincarnation event like having him disappear into a wormhole for some team goal only to later return. That isn't very far off though in terms of scifi tropes. It would be much more interesting to see him become an actual super villain. He would be the perfect Task Master.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?

Bruceski posted:

If Ward tried that I can think of at least three people who would immediately shoot him in the head, and Coulson is one of them.

I wholeheartedly agree but it just seems like the writers want to get him back plus he'll do anything to protect skye.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't think they'll ever make Ward an outright villain again. That ship may have left port. My completely unsubstantiated guess is that they'll eventually be going for a "chipped Spike" situation where they figure out a way to enforce his loyalty and maybe even trust in that enforcement, but he'll never be part of "the team" either.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

I don't think they'll ever make Ward an outright villain again. That ship may have left port. My completely unsubstantiated guess is that they'll eventually be going for a "chipped Spike" situation where they figure out a way to enforce his loyalty and maybe even trust in that enforcement, but he'll never be part of "the team" either.

Tipping Ward will get sprung and end up working for Sky's dad, who has his own agenda over Hydra.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Trainspotting's reaction was pure gold

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Ward is 100% guaranteed to become an agent again before the end of the season.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Jayisspecial posted:

I don't see Ward joining short of some kind of reincarnation event like having him disappear into a wormhole for some team goal only to later return. That isn't very far off though in terms of scifi tropes. It would be much more interesting to see him become an actual super villain. He would be the perfect Task Master.

People keep saying this, and I have no idea why. Has he ever mimicked someone's skills at any point? Or is there more to Taskmaster than that?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Carrasco posted:

People keep saying this, and I have no idea why. Has he ever mimicked someone's skills at any point? Or is there more to Taskmaster than that?

Not as far as I can recall, no. I think it's more that:

1) Taskmaster is cool
2) Evil Ward is also cool
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Carrasco posted:

People are trying to force existing characters into the show. Ward will never be Taskmaster. Skyedad will never be Mr. Hyde. Skye won't be... whoever they were trying to say.

They're pretty much their own characters. For the most part, Powered People will only show up as cameoes/guests. They won't be Full Time Cast Members.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Taskmaster is a person with feelings and a moral center and a perfect reason for being who he is, it'd be a shame to waste him just to give a sociopath something to do.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Kheldarn posted:

People are trying to force existing characters into the show. Ward will never be Taskmaster. Skyedad will never be Mr. Hyde. Skye won't be... whoever they were trying to say.

They're pretty much their own characters. For the most part, Powered People will only show up as cameoes/guests. They won't be Full Time Cast Members.

With Ward, I agree with you, but didn't they say along the way that MacLachlan was definitely playing an existing character?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tuxedo Jack posted:

With Ward, I agree with you, but didn't they say along the way that MacLachlan was definitely playing an existing character?

Yeah, I can't remember what they said about him. That's why I added in the "for the most part" part...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That reminds me I wonder if Dethlok will show back up at some point.

"We have the obelisk!"
"We have a Dethlok"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, I can't remember what they said about him. That's why I added in the "for the most part" part...

So, bottom line, you are also just speculating with the available information.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

greatn posted:

That reminds me I wonder if Dethlok will show back up at some point.

"We have the obelisk!"
"We have a Dethlok"

Yeah, you don't have a character like that wander off into the sunset, never to come back again. I'd bet they're keeping him for the second half of the season though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

e X posted:

So, bottom line, you are also just speculating with the available information.

No, I'm going by them saying that this show isn't about Supers, but about Regular People in a world of Supers.

I guess I should have said that there will be no Powered People on the Team as permnent cast members.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Kheldarn posted:

No, I'm going by them saying that this show isn't about Supers, but about Regular People in a world of Supers.

I guess I should have said that there will be no Powered People on the Team as permnent cast members.

Which really, has nothing to do with Skye's father, then. The show already had plenty of super powered foes and Mr. Hyde would simply fit his behavior rather well. Also, his back story leaves plenty of room for alien interference. And the point you bring up is exactly why people go to Taskmaster, since he is a character whose 'powers' are low profile enough to actually be done on a tv show budget. Though, there are plenty of Hydra goons or associates who would also fit the bill, but Taskmaster is sort of a fan favorite. In any event, it's not that people forcing characters into show, it's just people speculating on something the show did all along: Name dropping existing Marvel characters and incorporating them into the story.

And that quote is pretty obviously for the people who were allegedly whining about the lack of the big name superheroes on the show.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

Skye has powers. We haven't seen them or know what they are, but she has them.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Codependent Poster posted:

Skye has powers. We haven't seen them or know what they are, but she has them.

And once they manifest she'll leave the show and either join the Avengers as Captain Marvel, or get her own movie first.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
There is no reason for her to leave the show if she has powers. Disney is taking it easy for now, but if having a super powered person on the team proves popular, then they will have a super powered person on the team. There is literally not a single reason for why they couldn't have a powered character in the main cast.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ToastyPotato posted:

There is no reason for her to leave the show if she has powers. Disney is taking it easy for now, but if having a super powered person on the team proves popular, then they will have a super powered person on the team. There is literally not a single reason for why they couldn't have a powered character in the main cast.

Her powers could be "aptitude with computers" or something boring like that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Error 404 posted:

And once they manifest she'll leave the show and either join the Avengers as Captain Marvel, or get her own movie first.

Ahahahaha, you think SKYE getting a Hollywood blockbuster movie is more likely than having a character on the show with super powers?

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Apart from the CGI budget.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Who says any given powers require CGI? Not everything is shoot a beam of fire/ice/Gatorade at a dude.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Who says any given powers require CGI? Not everything is shoot a beam of fire/ice/Gatorade at a dude.

Skye mind reading powers confirmed

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If she is quake, they just have to shake the camera and have some interns throw poo poo around. Also it would be funny if someone named Skye has earth powers.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
A couple folks in here don't recognize a joke.

Skye possibly being Captain Marvel was one of the dumb theories from last season. It was third place behind 'did ward shoot the dog', and 'did May and Ward bone'.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If Skye really does end up being Daisy Johnson then it would be the easiest dang powers to depict on TV.

I agree with whoever that said Mr. Hyde is totally feasible for this show, and could very conceivably be Skye's dad.

(Now watch the show do something completely different)

greatn posted:

If she is quake, they just have to shake the camera and have some interns throw poo poo around. Also it would be funny if someone named Skye has earth powers.
Yeah this.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Captain Marvel a blonde. Skye is a brunette. It doesn't fit.

Are there are brunette superheroes? A Captain Bland, maybe?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Scapegoat posted:

Apart from the CGI budget.

There is currently a Flash series with a lower budget than this. They could 100% do superpowers on this show. And have, actually; Absorbing Man looked great.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Xealot posted:

There is currently a Flash series with a lower budget than this. They could 100% do superpowers on this show. And have, actually; Absorbing Man looked great.

They can have a super powered character but I guarantee you their "power" won't be breaking the bank every episode.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So... um... what's the deal with HYDRA? I've been assuming up until now, their plan was to infiltrate every major agency, get all the science, and take over the world somehow. But now, Dad says "Hey let's use the Diviner to kill everyone, mmmmkay?" and Whitehall gets a boner. WTF?

Sure, in Winter Soldier, HYDRA was intending to kill 20 million or so, but that's still a drop in the bucket compared to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't think he meant everyone everyone, just everyone in SHIELD.

• Locked thread