Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

That will go swimmingly for him if Nikki Haley ends up getting indicted on corruption charges.

Hasn't that been swirling now for quite a long time with nothing coming of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ snyped :)

SubponticatePoster posted:

That will go swimmingly for him if Nikki Haley ends up getting indicted on corruption charges.

This won't matter at all, nobody on either side of the aisle cares for Nikki Haley. If she goes down for corruption the Serious People here will quickly pivot to indictments of her Femaleness and Obviously Not Conservativeness. And then nobody anywhere else in the country cares about South Carolina, so welp.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RE Jebchat, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they ran him because if it comes down to him, Rand Paul, or Ted Cruz he'd be the best option :shrug:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Isn't Chris Cristie still an option? It sounds like bridghazi didn't really stick and honestly I'm not sure what kind of scandal would scare away Republican voters at this point as long as he's not actually going to court over one.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

loquacius posted:

RE Jebchat, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they ran him because if it comes down to him, Rand Paul, or Ted Cruz he'd be the best option :shrug:

When was the last time the GOP primary selected the best option for a general election?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

loquacius posted:

The real reason is that everyone actually wants Bush vs Clinton 2016. Surely there's a Quayle/Cheney and a Gore to run with those candidates.

mdemone posted:

When was the last time the GOP primary selected the best option for a general election?

Unless you're arguing for the general election power of Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, Herman Cain, or the Sky Admiral, the primary does still pick the best option for the general. The only exception might have been 2000, but they did ok anyway.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 24, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

mdemone posted:

2012 I think.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mdemone posted:

This isn't meant to be facetious or anything, but who would have been better than McCain and Romney?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Radish posted:

Isn't Chris Cristie still an option? It sounds like bridghazi didn't really stick and honestly I'm not sure what kind of scandal would scare away Republican voters at this point as long as he's not actually going to court over one.

You're right that nobody gives a poo poo about Bridgegate, but they all hated him anyway for daring to work together with B. Hussein Obola over such a piddly little thing as "hurricane relief".

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gradenko_2000 posted:

This isn't meant to be facetious or anything, but who would have been better than McCain and Romney?

Exactly. Unless you're going to posit that someone not running should have been nominated (which was never going to happen anyway) the Republicans have managed to pick the most electable option of their lovely options in both of the last two elections, so there's no reason to believe that can't happen again.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fried Chicken posted:

Now gently caress off back to your tumblr

Oh, snap! Man, they're really gonna need some ice for that burn.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Exactly. Unless you're going to posit that someone not running should have been nominated (which was never going to happen anyway) the Republicans have managed to pick the most electable option of their lovely options in both of the last two elections, so there's no reason to believe that can't happen again.

Their VP candidates, on the other hand, really could have used some work.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Khisanth Magus posted:

Their VP candidates, on the other hand, really could have used some work.

Yeah Ryan should have used 40s instead of those weany 20s or whatever.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I guess I just meant that in a vacuum*, someone like Huntsman would have been more electable. Like, on paper he was a more palatable choice to the general electorate.

* obviously this is a dumb way to think about political hypotheticals, but I haven't slept in a long time so this is what you get.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

loquacius posted:

You're right that nobody gives a poo poo about Bridgegate, but they all hated him anyway for daring to work together with B. Hussein Obola over such a piddly little thing as "hurricane relief".

That's true but I figure once he's up against those other guys and is deemed "most electable" they'll forget about that since the alternative is Hillary. Also because Obama will suddenly be ok and he worked with Republicans unlike Hillary which will be the Worst President Ever.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If a politician had troubles with girls from college (harassment accusations, accidental), would they never get elected?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

gradenko_2000 posted:

I still think John Huntsman could have beaten Obama. He could have really gone after the POTUS in the debates given his lack of political and personal skeletons. Can you imagine the conservative circlejerk that would have happened if Huntsman answered a foreign policy question at one of the debates in Mandarin Chinese? "OMG look how dumb are GOP hero made Obumbler look!" forever.

He would have had the GOP vote on lockdown and could have peeled away enough dissatisfied 08 Obama voters to win. Of course since he didn't win the primary there's no real research to back any of this up, it just seems like any GOP candidate that could feasibly appeal to moderates (I know it's controversial to assume moderates even exist in the US) without Romney's shortcomings could have won. Again this is talking straight out of my rear end but the moment the GOP manages to get a candidate out of the primaries having not said a load of horrendous poo poo, they've got the election in the bag.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Grouchio posted:

If a politician had troubles with girls from college (harassment accusations, accidental), would they never get elected?

Hmmm, let's see.

quote:

GQ reported that one day [Rand] Paul and a fellow NoZe-er abducted a female student who was on the swim team with Paul. According to the woman, who asked not to be identified, Paul and his pal blindfolded her, tied her up, took her to their apartment, and tried to force her to do bong hits. Next, they drove her to a creek outside Waco and, as the woman put it, "They told me their god was 'Aqua Buddha' and that I needed to bow down and worship him."

Looks like, yes, they can still get elected and be a serious candidate for President in the next cycle.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Unzip and Attack posted:

Can you imagine the conservative circlejerk that would have happened if Huntsman answered a foreign policy question at one of the debates in Mandarin Chinese?

I wouldn't be so sure this would go over well.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I still think John Huntsman could have beaten Obama. He could have really gone after the POTUS in the debates given his lack of political and personal skeletons. Can you imagine the conservative circlejerk that would have happened if Huntsman answered a foreign policy question at one of the debates in Mandarin Chinese? "OMG look how dumb are GOP hero made Obumbler look!" forever.

He would have had the GOP vote on lockdown and could have peeled away enough dissatisfied 08 Obama voters to win. Of course since he didn't win the primary there's no real research to back any of this up, it just seems like any GOP candidate that could feasibly appeal to moderates (I know it's controversial to assume moderates even exist in the US) without Romney's shortcomings could have won. Again this is talking straight out of my rear end but the moment the GOP manages to get a candidate out of the primaries having not said a load of horrendous poo poo, they've got the election in the bag.

Was he actually that squeaky-clean or was it just that no one gave enough of a gently caress to dig it up on him? He was basically the Ann Veal of the 2012 GOP primary.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

When your the Democrat is polling 25 points ahead of your Republican pick..organizations get desperate

quote:

A Virginia-based group that opposes gay rights has sent out a postcard to New Jersey voters opposing U.S. Sen. Cory Booker’s re-election. But it spells the Democratic senator's name wrong. The postcard was sent out by Public Advocate of the United States, a non-profit group. On the front, it shows two men kissing and, in big white letters on a pink background, these words: “Is this Cory Brooker’s (sic) plan for New Jersey?” The president of the group, Eugene Delgaudio, said that was intentional.

“It’s a tactic to get attention, which we did get. You’re calling me,” he said of the ad campaign, which he said was “very low budget” and included about 50,000 postcards. His group is attacking candidates in other states as well. The back of the postcard says that Republican U.S. Senate candidate Jeff Bell filled out the group’s survey and “earned a 100% pro-family rating.” The postcard also incorrectly calls Bell, who has never won an elected office, a senator. It goes on to say that Booker did not answer the survey “and has earned a 0% Pro-Family rating due to his praise for homosexual ‘marriage’ and co-sponsoring the Gay Bill of Special Rights.”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Unzip and Attack posted:

Can you imagine the conservative circlejerk that would have happened if Huntsman answered a foreign policy question at one of the debates in Mandarin Chinese?

He did this several times in the primary debates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Warszawa posted:

Was he actually that squeaky-clean or was it just that no one gave enough of a gently caress to dig it up on him? He was basically the Ann Veal of the 2012 GOP primary.

He's politically clean, but mostly because he's the son of a billionaire and hasn't had to ever worry about where the money's coming from. He dropped out of high school to play keyboards in a prog rock band named Wizard.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

He did this several times in the primary debates.

Yes but doing this against the POTUS in a one on one situation would be drastically different in terms of optics. Surely you all realize that making Obumbler look dumb or inadequate is basically the highest achievement anyone can accomplish in the conservative mindset, right? This is why conservatives lost their loving minds after the first debate. It's not that Romney "did well" (he actually straight up lied over 30 times that night) it's that he made the POTUS look vulnerable, which is every angry white wingnut's wettest dream

As for him being squeaky clean, I don't know for sure but the guy was a diplomat to China and is a Mormon, so I doubt there are any showstoppers in his personal life.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yes but doing this against the POTUS in a one on one situation would be drastically different in terms of optics. Surely you all realize that making Obumbler look dumb or inadequate is basically the highest achievement anyone can accomplish in the conservative mindset, right?

Sure, until Obama fires back in any of the languages he learned while traveling as a kid

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Obama speaking Arabic would more or less end the Tea Party movement through mass apoplexy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Soo....you'd never be forgiven for college harassment later in life, even as a changed man who learned from mistakes?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

zoux posted:

Obama speaking Arabic would more or less end the Tea Party movement through mass apoplexy.

Then all the mainstream Republicans would go "oh god, he really is a Mooslum!" and become the new Tea Party.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Grouchio posted:

Soo....you'd never be forgiven for college harassment later in life, even as a changed man who learned from mistakes?

Quit trying to assign sensible reactions to the American electorate.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fried Chicken posted:

Jeb Bush...

They are really gonna try running him after his shitbird brother, huh?

Don't laugh. Jeb could win. He's no dummy like his brother and, as Republicans go, wasn't the worst thing that ever hit Florida, meaning he wasn't a complete monster or a big hurricane. He also has the advantage of the low bar being set for expectations in as much as if he can go on camera with the last name Bush and avoid picking his nose and eating it while pronouncing "nuclear" correctly, he'll come off looking smart.

Besides, who else are the GOP going to run?

loquacius posted:

Exactly.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 24, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I missed watching the VT House candidate debate last night. Cris Ericson, who you might remember from the Gubernatorial debate because she's running for that office too, raised the bar for hats in debates.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did she set it down at any point and do a festive dance around it?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I saw George P. Bush on the ballot here in Texas for land commissioner :suicide:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

I saw George P. Bush on the ballot here in Texas for land commissioner :suicide:

He's also half Hispanic so he's immune to allegations of racism! They keep improving the Bush models.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yes but doing this against the POTUS in a one on one situation would be drastically different in terms of optics. Surely you all realize that making Obumbler look dumb or inadequate is basically the highest achievement anyone can accomplish in the conservative mindset, right? This is why conservatives lost their loving minds after the first debate. It's not that Romney "did well" (he actually straight up lied over 30 times that night) it's that he made the POTUS look vulnerable, which is every angry white wingnut's wettest dream

As for him being squeaky clean, I don't know for sure but the guy was a diplomat to China and is a Mormon, so I doubt there are any showstoppers in his personal life.
He was a decent governor. He's also rich enough that the pay to play corruption that's infested our state government didn't affect him - he's got more money than all of the companies who would've tried to grease him combined. On a personal level he seems like a decent guy. All his problems come from the fact that he's richer than Croesus and so his economic policy positions are poo poo.

Joementum posted:

He's politically clean, but mostly because he's the son of a billionaire and hasn't had to ever worry about where the money's coming from. He dropped out of high school to play keyboards in a prog rock band named Wizard.
That's pretty baller, honestly.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I'll vote for this Bush family member

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nonsense posted:

Jeb's son. And apparently he ran a national style campaign, railing against Obama, Pelosi, and Hillary Clinton, bashing them over the ACA and Benghazi. This instead of the usual land commissioner pitch of "you have a good thing going here, I won't gently caress it up"

Charitably, he was getting help from family friends who were running national level campaigns and just reused their suggestions. More likely, he's aiming for a bigger career

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

More likely, he's aiming for a bigger career

Haha ya think? Dewhurst was Land Commish before he was Lt. Gov. It's like the entry step to state wide office for political dilletantes.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Grouchio posted:

Why, planning on running for elected office?

History has shown that people who are once assholes generally stay that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/23/politics/jeb-bush-south-carolina/index.html

Jeb Bush, who has previously been "vacationing" in Iowa and New Hampshire, met with a bunch of donors and CEOs in South Carolina.

Coincidentally he also campaigned with Nikki Haley, meaning he ended up meeting with the local party leaders and key members.

They are really gonna try running him after his shitbird brother, huh?

Called it! Hil V. J.E.B. 2016! Hope y'all are ready for the Floridization!

• Locked thread