Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Hm. They don't usually admit this sort of thing until the cards are out of Standard, do they? (At least not if the cards have avoided being so unhealthy as to eat a ban.)

That's sort of misrepresenting the point.

quote:

Two of our mistakes in Theros block were Thoughtseize and Courser of Kruphix, and not just because of the cards' power level. Both cards are very powerful, but also reveal a ton of information. It wasn't uncommon for both players to know every card in his or her opponent's hand by the end of turn three and for the game to then play out face up. I don't think we will be shying away from powerful discard in the future, but I don't expect us to print powerful cards like Courser of Kruphix that reveal a lot of information about the top of the library very often.

He's not saying they were too powerful to print, but that they reveal too much information that's supposed to be hidden, taking away strategy and bluffing potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Hm. They don't usually admit this sort of thing until the cards are out of Standard, do they? (At least not if the cards have avoided being so unhealthy as to eat a ban.)

He's also more down on Miracles and says we might not see them again, while MaRo's said they were popular and he thinks they'd come back.

Well, Maro is a noted idiot. I'd be more inclined to side with Sam.

Miracles were unfun garbage and nobody but a 12 year old wants them back.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Chamale posted:

Is there a creature that can untap Feldon and give you three mana when you reanimate it?

Intruder Alarm + Priest of Urabrask?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Just wanna say now that this dude is bound to be called "Hagrid."

jassi007 posted:

So on non-cheaty talk, how do you all decide what deck to take to events? There is an IQ coming up next weekend in modern format and the prizes are pretty good.

Prize Payout:
1st - $400, Modern Masters Booster Box, Qualification for a StarCityGames.com Invitational, 6 Points, IQ Playmat, Top 8 Pin
2nd - $200, Modern Master Booster Box, Qualification for a StarCityGames.com Invitational, 5 Points, IQ Playmat, Top 8 Pin
3rd-4th - $100, 1/2 Khans Booster Box, IQ
Playmat, Top 8 Pin
5th-8th - $50, 1/4 Khans Booster Box, IQ
Playmat, Top 8 Pin
9th-12th - 1/4 Khans Booster Box, IQ Playmat
13th-16th - 1/4 Khans Booster Box, Dice Bag

I have 4 decks, affinity, GR Tron, UR Delver, and Burn. I have played affinity the longest, tron 2nd, burn a bit (mostly as a test deck) and delver I just jumped on the treasure cruise bandwagon to see what it is all about. My favorite deck, independant of a meta is Tron. I honestly don't know what I should play, but I really would like to do well in this event.
Play affinity. Knowing your deck and how to play it well is huge. I doubt you have the time to playtest a deck your less familiar with before the event, so just go with what you know.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The flavor is super awesome - Feldon was a red-aligned artificer who tried to resurrect his dead wife as an automaton.

BJPaskoff posted:

That's sort of misrepresenting the point.

He's not saying they were too powerful to print, but that they reveal too much information that's supposed to be hidden, taking away strategy and bluffing potential.
I complained about people knowing your hand a bit too much in the last standard with seize, Lifebane and Duress.

But he says that and then they printed Mardu Charm (instant speed discard) and Despise to go along with Thoughtseize.

Without seeing his article, I don't get the problem with Courser. It gives away information, sure, but that's a a drawback for the person playing Courser getting Courser's effect.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
poo poo, put this dude in some gifts piles or something even. Feldon, Snapcaster, two spells you want to cast!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

The flavor is super awesome - Feldon was a red-aligned artificer who tried to resurrect his dead wife as an automaton.

An explanation seems redundant.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Oh cool, Feldon can do that at instant speed, so Emrakul shenanigans are go

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Well, Maro is a noted idiot. I'd be more inclined to side with Sam.

Miracles were unfun garbage and nobody but a 12 year old wants them back.

I'm twelve years old and play Countertop.

Seriously, I'd love to see Miracles back in a set with something like Scry or some other top of deck control.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Feldon is an incredible Magic card and an incredibly good designed one. Bravo Wizards.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
E: Nevermind, I am dumb.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chamale posted:

Is there a creature that can untap Feldon and give you three mana when you reanimate it?

Best I can think of is Grinning Innis giving you 2R, but you have to pay R and bounce it to do so.

I love that art, it reminds me of old school hand drawn Magic art but maybe it's because I'm looking at it on my phone.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Cactrot posted:

i really like that it doesn't, ball lightning every turn!

I'll be over here, being the guy firing Blightsteel Colossus tokens around (right, since he can do it as an instant this works? I hope.)

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Sarcastro posted:

I'll be over here, being the guy firing Blightsteel Colossus tokens around (right, since he can do it as an instant this works? I hope.)

Blightsteel is a replacement effect so you don't have an opportunity to target it.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Chamale posted:

Dunno about untaps, but Priest of Urabrask?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Holy poo poo I really want to make a Feldon deck now.

That card is incredibly cool.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sarcastro posted:

Blightsteel gets shuffled away "instead" of being put into your graveyard, so that doesn't work. The Eldrazi, on the other hand, shuffle "when" they are put into the graveyard, so they do land in the graveyard just long enough for you to build a robot Emrakul.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Blightsteel gets shuffled away "instead" of being put into your graveyard, so that doesn't work. The Eldrazi, on the other hand, shuffle "when" they are put into the graveyard, so they do land in the graveyard just long enough for you to build a robot Emrakul.

Emrakul, Father of Machines LIVES

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
"I have no idea what you're talking about, and I don't care." -Marshall Sutcliffe talking to Frank Lepore on commentary at this TCG thing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hell yeah terrible 4 card combos.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Wtf, I walked away for 10 minutes and there are over a hundred posts. For once it was legitimate "poo poo went down plus spoilers".

gently caress Bertoncini. I was so irrationally angry every time I saw his name on SCG's player championship leaderboard thing. How amazing is it that now he can't go when I'm pretty sure he had his spot locked up?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

gang sines posted:

Blightsteel is a replacement effect so you don't have an opportunity to target it.

Oh, right. Goddammit.

Eldrazi it is, then!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

We need to find a monored/artifact combo...for science EDH

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

We need to find a monored/artifact combo...for science EDH

Obviously the chombo is Feldon and a Bearer of the Heavens in the graveyard.

:getin:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Boco_T posted:

"I have no idea what you're talking about, and I don't care." -Marshall Sutcliffe talking to Frank Lepore on commentary at this TCG thing.

Context?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Marshall obviously and rightly dislikes Frank.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Frank was making reference to Raksha Golden Cub vs. Rakshasa or something.

Now Frank had to do an ad for TCG's HeroClix events and Marshall said "I don't even know what that is." This is the best, Marshall is the best.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The worst thing about Frank Lepore is when people somehow confuse Frank Karsten for Frank Lepore.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
alex Bertoncini 1205286779 cortlandt manor NY United States 2014-10-24 2017-10-24

:frogout:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

The worst thing about Frank Lepore is when people somehow confuse Frank Karsten for Frank Lepore.

I've never even tried to sit through the TCG player material, is he that bad?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Madmarker posted:

Most of it is him picking a bad line, saying something that is delivered like a joke but isn't a joke, Melissa telling him a better line of play, and then him ignoring her and making his bad play anyway.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
^ Sadly, you still need a way to filter to red.

mango sentinel posted:

It's trivial to make it one fewer card (with another 2U enchantment, even!) by using Intruder Alarm. Does mean you have to use the attack step to win, though, and it still isn't mono-red.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Madmarker posted:

Yes. Frank is making this broadcast painful to listen to. The dumb things he is constantly saying that this loving scarf is just comboing me out of this stream.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

You're spending red mana and only gaining colorless mana. Sooner or later your colored mana will run out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I might try him in my Purphoros deck, especially if I can hit something like Myr Battlesphere or Chancellor of the Forge :iia:

Needs a way to produce red mana but otherwise yes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

You could even use Wormfang Manta and something like Hushwing Gryff.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You're spending red mana and only gaining colorless mana. Sooner or later your colored mana will run out.

Probably about the time you steal their best dude and punch them in the face.

Oh right, EDH games aren't supposed to end. We just cardboard wank at each other for 3 hours.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I get so many warm fuzzies from how much commentators hate Bertoncini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

[–]Nyjin 556 points 3 hours ago

I guess Alex Bertoncini will have 2 Explore some other hobbies now.

This is great!

• Locked thread