Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

(my wife is a lawyer).

This explains a lot.

also. holy poo poo you must put up with a lot of venting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

meatpimp posted:

Note to kids: Don't become a lawyer, they don't make as much as you think they do (my wife is a lawyer).

Law schools are also churning out graduates at an alarming rate, so job placements is a shitshow, and you'll be saddled with an enormous amount of debt. Don't do it unless you really love it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I am a systems information technician. All I do is run cable.

I'm a Systems Administrator....

....I do more helpdesk work than actual administration.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, its okay, enjoy the return of Intel based math calculation errors
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sandy-bridge-sata-error-pentium-fdiv-bug,12115.html

Ha, I jumped to AMD as soon as the athlon skt A came out (900, 1700+, 2600+, the skt 939 with the 4400+), my current desktop is a now very dated 1090T.
The old celerons/pentiums were just a toy I played with as AMD were poo poo with the k6.
The only intel CPUs I still use are laptops.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 24, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

goatse guy posted:

Law schools are also churning out graduates at an alarming rate, so job placements is a shitshow, and you'll be saddled with an enormous amount of debt. Don't do it unless you really love it.

In CA, the same could be said for any major. It's all a shitshow right now.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

keykey posted:

CA [...] It's [...] a shitshow.

fixed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Ha, I jumped to AMD as soon as the athlon skt A came out (900, 1700+, 2600+, the skt 939 with the 4400+), my current desktop is a now very dated 1090T.
The old celerons/pentiums were just a toy I played with as AMD were poo poo with the k6.
The only intel CPUs I still use are laptops.

Intel does make good stuff, and my i7 in my laptop is awesome, but my AMDs are still my favorite machines.

I still have an AMD 1.2Ghz Thunderbird sitting around somewhere, and an old AMD K6-2 350Mhz that runs and still has my original copy of Half Life.
My wife has a AMD Phenom II Black that she has overclocked to 4.2Ghz and liquid cooled. She loves it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Are Nissan Frontiers poo poo or no?

They seem to check all the boxes for me. Midsized, great towing capacity (would like to eventually tow a car) and has a manual trans. Tacomas have less power, less tow rating. (and only some models got 'tow' packages that upped the rating from 3500. Whereas all Frontiers are 6000+.)

Towing with a mantran might be poo poo, but I still wanna try it.

There are some nice Nismo Frontiers near me. And having a pushbutton rear locking rear diff is pretty sweet.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I'm running cables at the Lenox tool factory. So. loving. Dirty.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Ziploc posted:

Are Nissan Frontiers poo poo or no?

My ex had a manual 1998 Frontier for towing his formula 500 car and trailer. It had the smaller engine and it got the job done. It wasn't great, but it was adequate and good for the price. The Frontier was also loving unkillable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm running cables at the Lenox tool factory. So. loving. Dirty.

I was running fiber for a hospital, only to have a pissed off raccoon come out of the ducts and chase us. That was fun.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I tow a trailer every single day with a manual. It seems weird to me when people make a big deal of towing with a manual.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
People make a big deal of just driving a manual. At one of the shops I worked at our truck/tow vehicle was a 1-ton dodge diesel with the 6-speed. I liked that truck.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cursedshitbox posted:

This explains a lot.

also. holy poo poo you must put up with a lot of venting.

I know... and that's just from this thread...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

I tow a trailer every single day with a manual. It seems weird to me when people make a big deal of towing with a manual.

Manual or GTFO for me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Google was taking a picture of me taking a picture of it taking a picture of me.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Yay! I'm in the emergency room with my wife because she possibly has either appendicitis or gall stones. In either case her Dr said she can go there and he'd send her to the emergency room or she can just come straight here.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

keykey posted:

Yay! I'm in the emergency room with my wife because she possibly has either appendicitis or gall stones. In either case her Dr said she can go there and he'd send her to the emergency room or she can just come straight here.

My brother was in the ER yesterday. Passed out at work because he was dehydrated, apparently. He's alright now. Hopefully your wife ends up also alright.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Heh, I just found out my Vibe is affected by both the 'airbags randomly deploy for no reason' recall as well as the now-infamous 'airbags will kill your rear end when they deploy' recall. I thought it was only the former. Guess I ought to get my rear end to a stealership, my fatal attraction to vehicles that actively try to kill me only applies to my projects, I'd rather my boring DD wasn't also homicidal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
ISIS and the USAF are having a fun day:

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 24, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
The .gif shows one good bit, first strike dead on the flag.
Misses the last best bit. The prick closest to the camera on the right running down the hill looks like he might get away, (he doesn't because there's more bombs, one right direct on the fucker)

E: You got the better .gif in.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 24, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

The .gif shows one good bit, first strike dead on the flag.
Misses the last best bit. The prick closest to the camera on the right running down the hill looks like he might get away, (he doesn't because there's more bombs, one right direct on the fucker)

E: You got the better .gif in.

The video showed it better, the guy is just kinda walking around and suddenly he starts jogging...and then he freaking runs hard.

Too late.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rscott posted:

Um excuse me celeron 300As were faster than the equivalent pentium II and could easily be over clocked to 450 with a simple 66 to 100 fsb change, via never had a cpu that wasn't unmitigated garbage

Still have a soft spot for the old 300A. The last pre-built desktop we'd ever bought was a Pentium II 350, and shortly afterwards my dad decided he wanted to have a second desktop and heard how cheap / easy it was to put together something with the 300A and an Abit BH6. Put it together for about 1/4 of the cost of the prebuilt box and when we finished overclocking both of them, they ran neck and neck in any benchmark you'd throw at them.

We eventually swapped the CPUs between the two because while the 300A would do 450MHz on stock voltage (which was all the pre-built box would supply)... the PII 350 would do 466 with a couple tenths extra. 133MHz FSB on a 440BX and PC100 RAM :getin:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Tommychu posted:

Heh, I just found out my Vibe is affected by both the 'airbags randomly deploy for no reason' recall as well as the now-infamous 'airbags will kill your rear end when they deploy' recall. I thought it was only the former. Guess I ought to get my rear end to a stealership, my fatal attraction to vehicles that actively try to kill me only applies to my projects, I'd rather my boring DD wasn't also homicidal.

Sounds like you are pretty much guaranteed to get them replaced then. Other folks only get their death-bags replaced if they live in Florida

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

goatse guy posted:

I took an even lazier way out. I got a set of cat ears and a tail. :effort:

I'm even worse. I'm fat and I'll wear a bright orange polo shirt on Halloween. Tell people I'm dressed as a pumpkin.

I should get a green hat or something.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Slung Blade posted:

I'm even worse. I'm fat and I'll wear a bright orange polo shirt on Halloween. Tell people I'm dressed as a pumpkin.

I should get a green hat or something.

Several years ago I found a large white plastic housing, 10 minutes with a dremel turned it into a helmet. Toss on a white painters jumpsuit and a black turtleneck underneath and I'm an rear end in a top hat. I've used it for the past 4 years at least.

guy in the middle

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I was talking about self-driving cars with some guys here at work and the weird ethical problems that arise, ie driving you off of a cliff vs into a pack of schoolgirls.

And I got to thinking, each car will have to know what's in it, either with sensors or with you typing in what and who is on board.

And then I got to thinking, it will be a thing in the future to hack into that system and convince other cars you're a bus full of nuns.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

I was talking about self-driving cars with some guys here at work and the weird ethical problems that arise, ie driving you off of a cliff vs into a pack of schoolgirls.

And I got to thinking, each car will have to know what's in it, either with sensors or with you typing in what and who is on board.

And then I got to thinking, it will be a thing in the future to hack into that system and convince other cars you're a bus full of nuns.

More than likely, much like fighters converted into target drones, self driving cars will have some sort of mechanical override for the brakes and steering.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CornHolio posted:

My brother was in the ER yesterday. Passed out at work because he was dehydrated, apparently. He's alright now. Hopefully your wife ends up also alright.

How does this happen, really? I mean I know the importance of hydration and work out a lot so I'm swigging water all day, but I recognize that not everyone's like that. Still though, people have to eat and drink, so how does one let oneself get so dehydrated (outside of a desert environment or somewhere you'd expect that to happen) to the point of passing out?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Depends if you drink a lot of caffeine and/or alcohol.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

The Midniter posted:

How does this happen, really? I mean I know the importance of hydration and work out a lot so I'm swigging water all day, but I recognize that not everyone's like that. Still though, people have to eat and drink, so how does one let oneself get so dehydrated (outside of a desert environment or somewhere you'd expect that to happen) to the point of passing out?

Caffeinated pop dehydrates you. You may be drinking liquids, but if they aren't the right liquids you can still get dehydrated. There are still a lot of people out there who don't know their bodies well enough to know what their hydration level is or should be.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Happens to me a bit.
A lot of water intake is from food, sometimes people drink things that a diuretic mainly as well, eg tea/coffee/soft drink/alcohol. So people that don't eat much but drink fluids that are diuretic may dehydrate easily.

In summer I was sometimes in 60 deg celcius ceiling spaces. I don't eat much because I'm a fatty, and probably drink too much coffee. No matter how much water I drank, I could still be dehydrated because of the variables.
In the cooler weather, I don't drink much water since I'm not feeling hot, and still of course not eating much, so I am easily dehydrated
poo poo, sometimes I get parkinsons like shakes/tremors and feeling like I'm going to collapse when I stand up after hours of sitting down and nothing to eat drink for the day (I would collaspe if I didn't have something to hold on to)
E_Cigs make it worse for me too as they are dehydrating, but the bad spells I have happen whether using them or not. Strange no matter how bad I've been (eaten or drunk water recently Y/N, had alcohol or used a e-cig recently Y/N, it just happens and no matter how much I abuse myself either way, only happens once a day. I could go nuts on drinking, using a e-cig, and not eating or drinking water after the first violent shaking/collapsing fit, it just will not happen again that day...Happy days)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 24, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CornHolio posted:

Why? Other than some method of allowing authorised operators to start the machine (keys) why does it need to know who's inside?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

Caffeinated pop dehydrates you. You may be drinking liquids, but if they aren't the right liquids you can still get dehydrated.

false:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140402-are-coffee-and-tea-dehydrating
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965

But Brawndo does have electrolytes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

But Brawndo does have electrolytes.

Its what plants crave!

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Cakefool posted:

Why? Other than some method of allowing authorised operators to start the machine (keys) why does it need to know who's inside?

My best guess is at a minimum it might need something setup for weight sensing and position in the car, as for who the occupants are, I have no idea why that would be needed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Several years ago I found a large white plastic housing, 10 minutes with a dremel turned it into a helmet. Toss on a white painters jumpsuit and a black turtleneck underneath and I'm an rear end in a top hat. I've used it for the past 4 years at least.

guy in the middle

I knew it! I'm surrounded by assholes!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The Midniter posted:

I get dehydrated a lot easier than most but overall it is pretty easy to get dehydrated. My biggest problem is when I'm really busy with projects or work and when I'm traveling. High heat in the summer and being outside makes it even easier. You can even drink too much water and make yourself dehydrated.

As Pham mentioned drinking caffeinated stuff isn't great but there isn't enough diuretic effect to offset the volume of liquid consumed so it's a net positive. I'm guessing alcohol is similar.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I knew it! I'm surrounded by assholes!
This is hanging in the office I'm working out of this week, I snapchatted it at some point I believe.

Alighieri posted:

My best guess is at a minimum it might need something setup for weight sensing and position in the car, as for who the occupants are, I have no idea why that would be needed.
Why would it even need to know weight sensing and position for general driving down the road. Sure it will effect braking/acceleration as well as possible cornering speed but it isn't like the drat thing is going around a race track or pushing the tires in any way. Sure you could argue in bad conditions (snow/ice/flood) it may be useful. The car is going to have pretty similar handling capabilities for commuting duty whether there is a 125lb woman or 500lb worth of people in there.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 24, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm guessing alcohol is similar.

Nah, alcohol is enough of a diuretic that you piss out significantly more than you consume, about 60% more according to this:

quote:

So if you drink 200 millilitres of beer, the end result is 200 millilitres of water. But you don't urinate just 200 millilitres of urine. No! You urinate a total of about 320 millilitres of urine.

So in general, each shot of alcohol makes you urinate an extra 120 millilitres of urine on top of your normal urine output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Most people don't realize that they're dehydrated as a general rule. You're supposed to drink a lot more water than most do...

Also, appetite and thirst are similar and confused by a lot of people so they end up eating instead of drinking water. Presto, fat people. It's not the whole answer but it certainly is a part of it.

I usually go through 3-4 quarts a day in the winter and more in the summer. There have been days working on the house or various vehicles in the summer where I went through 3 gallons and still felt parched.

• Locked thread