Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i tried sil briefly but then i was like why play this when i could play crawl. but idk maybe its good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Parallax Scroll posted:

i tried sil briefly but then i was like why play this when i could play crawl. but idk maybe its good

It's shorter, the skill and talent system is a lot different, and the combat is more consistent and easier to understand. It's also harder. Crawl gives you a lot more freedom to do different things, Sil streamlines everything to concentrate on core gameplay. They're both really good IMO, but I focus on Crawl because I'm better at it and enjoy the experimentation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Sil's combat can be fully explained (to a degree in which a programmer could write it themselves) in a few paragraphs, crawl's requires talking about a million variables and lognormal distributions. Crawl has been slowly cutting out the archaic bits of linley's crawl with a scalpel, the sil devs hacked off the bad parts of angband with a triple sword on day 1. (Okay I don't actually know sil dev history but that's what it seems like.)

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
It's cool how Sil managed to make the Angband formula somehow good and not incredibly tedious.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

you guys are making it sound aight. it doesnt have a tiles version does it

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Parallax Scroll posted:

you guys are making it sound aight. it doesnt have a tiles version does it

I think it got tile support just recently but I don't remember for sure.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Ah...Magic Cake ftw

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
wtf is magic cake

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

I AM BRAWW posted:

wtf is magic cake

:iiam:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

I AM BRAWW posted:

wtf is magic cake

It's very rare.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Jeffrey posted:

Sil's combat can be fully explained (to a degree in which a programmer could write it themselves) in a few paragraphs, crawl's requires talking about a million variables and lognormal distributions. Crawl has been slowly cutting out the archaic bits of linley's crawl with a scalpel, the sil devs hacked off the bad parts of angband with a triple sword on day 1. (Okay I don't actually know sil dev history but that's what it seems like.)

I liked zangband when I played it a while ago, maybe I'll try Sil

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

the yikes guy

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

RIP

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

That feel when you get a floor like this but two of the upstairs are right next to each other

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Tho, in your case you coulda lived if you ran back up the stairs when you saw all that nasty poo poo coming your way

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Tho, in your case you coulda lived if you ran back up the stairs when you saw all that nasty poo poo coming your way

all those were on the steps when i went down :negative:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Swelter Discharge posted:

all those were on the steps when i went down :negative:

Oh wow. Yikes

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
might have been able to use a scroll - blink or fear, maybe. a potion or ring of invisibility, or item that evokes for blink, *might* have helped.

was that the first set of stairs you went down on that level?

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

might have been able to use a scroll - blink or fear, maybe. a potion or ring of invisibility, or item that evokes for blink, *might* have helped.

was that the first set of stairs you went down on that level?

nah i went down another one and it had an invisible monster so i ran away from that went back upstairs then came down the steps in teh pic

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

If they didn't kill you on turn 1, scroll of fear definitely would have saved you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Here is another combo for you to play if you are bored

ocotopod monk

you sneak around and strangle everything to death with your tentacles
you can strangle like 8 things at once

you get no armor but you can wear 8 rings

strangle all the rats

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

i bought bayonetta 2 but spent all day playing crawl instead. :sweatdrop:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

story of all the games I buy

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I haven't bought many games recently since they're all worse than Crawl

Well, I bought Earthbound on the VC but that's different

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Almost every game I play I eventually put down, Crawl I might play forever.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Swelter Discharge posted:

nah i went down another one and it had an invisible monster so i ran away from that went back upstairs then came down the steps in teh pic

there's a secret crawl fact: when you go down the stairs into a level for the first time, all monsters start at zero 'action energy', meaning that you basically get roughly a free turn to act. (nearly, but not quite, enough to ascend the stairs safely, for example.)

you don't get this any other time you enter a level, meaning that leaving & re-entering a level elsewhere is much much scarier than entering it for the first time. (because you can end up in situations like the pictured one!)

this is a weird mechanic and idk how I feel about it but it does exist, so, now you know.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

there's a secret crawl fact: when you go down the stairs into a level for the first time, all monsters start at zero 'action energy', meaning that you basically get roughly a free turn to act. (nearly, but not quite, enough to ascend the stairs safely, for example.)

you don't get this any other time you enter a level, meaning that leaving & re-entering a level elsewhere is much much scarier than entering it for the first time. (because you can end up in situations like the pictured one!)

this is a weird mechanic and idk how I feel about it but it does exist, so, now you know.

It's important to have that to keep people from getting 1-shotted going down stairs.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

got a cool vampiric scythe from Sigmund. then i drank a potion of beneficial mutation and resisted the effects... Fail.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

is this any good?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

It's important to have that to keep people from getting 1-shotted going down stairs.

there's a big dumb argument about it that starts around midway down the first page here; "crate" has most of the interesting posts. I don't know how I feel about it but it's not 100% straightforward.

not planning on changing it anytime soon, anyway.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

is this any good?

it's real real good, if you plan to hit things in melee or with a ranged/throwing weapon.

if you're a pure caster it's not mind-blowingly amazing but still probably better than anything else you'll find any time soon.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

what if you are a carpenter

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

what if you are a carpenter

hard hats are very important for construction work.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I died to a rare named snorg. RIP

i had alot of cool loot too...........

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nice boots, both pairs.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got the assassin's boosts from a scroll of aquirement, and didn't know boots of running are apparently insanely good so i just wore the sneaky ones for the rest of my guys life. prob would have saved me from snorg.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I got the assassin's boosts from a scroll of aquirement, and didn't know boots of running are apparently insanely good so i just wore the sneaky ones for the rest of my guys life. prob would have saved me from snorg.

Boots of the assassin let you stab with any weapon as if it were a short blade, they are pretty nice on the right character as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 25, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

boots of running is one of the more rare items that I remember

i think i've gotten the singing sword more times

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there any other good newbie combos because after that i kind of want to try something new. (was playing a gargoyle barbarian)

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

there's a big dumb argument about it that starts around midway down the first page here; "crate" has most of the interesting posts. I don't know how I feel about it but it's not 100% straightforward.

not planning on changing it anytime soon, anyway.

It's actually completely straightforward, and crate's points are retarded. Unavoidable, random and instant deaths are not fun regardless of whether they adhere to "Crawl's design philosophy", and the free time after going down stairs the first time is an incredibly minuscule and unimportant spoiler. It's not even the most spoilery thing about stairs. It makes no sense to make the game objectively less fun in the name of reducing "spoilers" that don't matter and almost never affect gameplay, while also adding nothing to any other facet of the game beyond more random unavoidable deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

kobold berserker

you can eat anything and go berserk when ever

• Locked thread