Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
You clamp those on the butt of a SG to improve neck dive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What exactly is it supposed to do? How would it improve tone at all?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

You clamp those on the butt of a SG to improve neck dive

No no no, if you put weight on the bottom it sucks away all your tone.

Heath posted:

Improve sustain, somehow. Possibly magic.

Speaking of magic, I just tested the 1meg pot on that lovely Romanian guitar. 720k. Then 800k. then 957k, then finally 720k. No idea what's going on with that thing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Heath posted:

Add more mass which will affect the dampening of the vibrations caused by the string.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Heath posted:

Guitar players are stupid and will do any number of stupid things thinking it gives them Eric Clapton tone.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

White Dog Eggs posted:

:spooky:

Also, someone had just made me aware of this on facebook;

You clamp it on your headstock and it totally helps with sustain.

Or just spend an extra $30 on locking tuners that actually will improve sustain, tuning stability, and add 3oz of metal to the headstock.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

No no no, if you put weight on the bottom it sucks away all your tone.

Tone is all about feng shui

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

Add more mass which will affect the dampening of the vibrations caused by the string.

That's the theory. It's easy to try out for yourself though, just tape some coins to a headstock and strum away. You could even just hold the headstock and strum.

Clitch posted:

Or just spend an extra $30 on locking tuners that actually will improve sustain, tuning stability, and add 3oz of metal to the headstock.

I had a metal kid lecture me on why locking tuners are bad for tone, I can't remember it now though, basically this;

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Guitar players are stupid and will do any number of stupid things thinking it gives them Eric Clapton tone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm against a lot of the stupid snake oil bullshit a lot of people claim as Law but I do admit that a high mass bridge does make a difference.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Honestly, I've not really noticed much difference. I'll get around to testing it one day, I've got a shitload of chrome-plated brass wrap-around bridges I brought cheap, I've seen aluminium bridges od the same design, I'm just too cheap to spend £80 for science.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
At least on a jazz bass it made a huge difference.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

At least on a jazz bass it made a huge difference.

I imagine it has as much to with basic material quality as anything else. That being said, I would absolutely try a brass trem block on any trem equipped guitar I have.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Interesting that this came up. At the risk of going all Scott Groves on you all I've done some testing of bridge weight and have the audio files to do a blind trial in this very thread. We up for it?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
hit me with it m8

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

hit me with it m8

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cartoon posted:

Interesting that this came up. At the risk of going all Scott Groves on you all I've done some testing of bridge weight and have the audio files to do a blind trial in this very thread. We up for it?

Hella yes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
locking tuners are great and actually serve a function

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cartoon posted:

i would be no good at a sustain double blind but i'm still proud that i did an internet double blind for a stradivarius versus a new violin and got it right

(the strad sounded just slightly shittier but in a way that was pleasant, like an old record's hiss and pop)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cartoon posted:

Goons buying tone capos itt

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

hey guitar buddies, i'm borrowing a baritone from a friend and there's a gap between the bolt-on neck and the body. this is fuckin wrong, right?

also here is a consolation prize for my goofy question

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

bunky posted:

hey guitar buddies, i'm borrowing a baritone from a friend and there's a gap between the bolt-on neck and the body. this is fuckin wrong, right?

nah m8 it's fine, the fretboards on boltons sometimes hang over the body like that. as long as the actual neck is seated alright it's fine.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

bunky posted:

It looks a bit sloppy, but as long as the action is fine, then don't worry about it. This is actually pretty common in stratocaster type guitars, the pickguard just go under the gap.

bunky posted:

I love alixpress. It's like a heaven for insane Chinese guitars.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

bunky posted:

It took me 4 times looking at this image to notice the body. I thought it was just got a neck/electronics set :toot:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

White Dog Eggs posted:

ive literally never been there before.

how is it possible for a website to offer counterfeit goods on such a grand scale?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

White Dog Eggs posted:

I didn't even know they sold guitars.

...until now. :ohdear:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

shiksa posted:

how is it possible for a website to offer counterfeit goods on such a grand scale?

China.com

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

It looks a bit sloppy, but as long as the action is fine, then don't worry about it. This is actually pretty common in stratocaster type guitars, the pickguard just go under the gap.

thank you and godspeed. it's one of these goofy esps just for clarification. it plays fine

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I googled allixpress and:

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

oh that ibanez monstrosity was from this site btw
http://thetopguitars.com/custom-double-neck-ibanez-acrylic-green-led-light-electric-guitar.html

bunky fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 24, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

shiksa posted:

I don't want to encourage counterfeiting, but some of those copies are (almost) indistinguishable from genuine guitars. The Gibsons in particular can be VERY high quality. Easiest way to tell is the finish, those Chinese factories love that rock-hard poly. You can seriously pick up some nice quality guitars off alixpress or dhgate, however there is a LOT of poo poo on there and even the good sellers send out a few lemons. I've not brought anything myself but a friend of mine loves blowing his wages on whacky-rear end guitars from China.

Edit: I spell and do grammar good.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 24, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I think aliexpress is gonna be my new best friend, right up there with rondo

so much crazy awesome cheap poo poo

e: theoretically i just bought a white JEM for $40 no shipping, trip report on the horrors if the thing shows up in a month

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 24, 2014

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Haha, some of them even have "fender" on the headstock.
How dilligent are fender/gibson about catching these? And how many get intercepted in customs?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Pondex posted:

How dilligent are fender/gibson about catching these? And how many get intercepted in customs?

thats what i was getting at. not "whaaaaat china makes counterfeit merchandise?!?!" more like how the hell can such a mega-massive online store do it pretty openly. hell, my exposure to online counterfeit shops has been mostly sports jersey sellers, and those get shut down pretty regularly.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dewgy posted:

e: theoretically i just bought a white JEM for $40 no shipping, trip report on the horrors if the thing shows up in a month

Calling it now: High 6th fret, wimpy pickups. Everything else surprisingly ok.

Pondex posted:

Customs are generally ok with single orders (at least in the UK). Any more than one at a time and they'll probably get suspicious though. It's worth asking the seller if they can send you one without a logo on the headstock, a few sellers will even put a custom decal on there if you ask.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

White Dog Eggs posted:

I've not brought anything myself but a friend of mine loves blowing his wages on whacky-rear end guitars from China.

Know of any particular sellers/models your friend has been particularly successful with?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

shiksa posted:

thats what i was getting at. not "whaaaaat china makes counterfeit merchandise?!?!" more like how the hell can such a mega-massive online store do it pretty openly. hell, my exposure to online counterfeit shops has been mostly sports jersey sellers, and those get shut down pretty regularly.

Alixpress/Alibaba is based in China. China does not give a toss about counterfeit stuff, at all.

Something else I forgot to mention, a lot of those guitars use Epiphone hardware, rumour has it that a few of the more prolific sellers are actually based in an Epiphone factory and bash these guitars out on the side/after hours.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

Know of any particular sellers/models your friend has been particularly successful with?

Eh, I'd rather not sorry, probably not a good idea for me to be seen endorsing fakes on the forums, you know?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dewgy posted:

Links!

e: found it, placed a $40 bet as well.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 24, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i don't really want to narc on anybody but this seems super unkosher or something idk

anyway, weird/bad music stuff, here is my new guitar with a headstock like a droopy dinger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

holy moly

• Locked thread