Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Quick cab question: I've been in the US for five weeks and I'm sort of getting the hang on tipping, but today I went to JFK and the driver said I could have a flat fare of $40, which sounded good to me, and he turned off the meter. In Australia this means the driver is going to personally pocket the entire fare and the cab company is none the wiser (which makes no difference to me, the passenger) but I was unsure if that was what was happening and if I should still tip. (I did anyway.) What's the deal there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

freebooter posted:

Quick cab question: I've been in the US for five weeks and I'm sort of getting the hang on tipping, but today I went to JFK and the driver said I could have a flat fare of $40, which sounded good to me, and he turned off the meter. In Australia this means the driver is going to personally pocket the entire fare and the cab company is none the wiser (which makes no difference to me, the passenger) but I was unsure if that was what was happening and if I should still tip. (I did anyway.) What's the deal there?

NYC taxis have an official flat fare to airports and such. You should still tip, the drivers not pocketing the fare (at least, he shouldn't be).

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I'm not completely done reading through all the post in the thread, but I'll still ask for advice if anyone wants to help while I'm catching up with the thread.

I'll be on vacation from the 20th to the 26th and we plan to go from Quebec City to New York by car stopping in a few other places on the way. (We won't use the car in New York itself)

Of that time, we'll be in New York for 4 days.

Current plans include :
Watching Aladin on broadway
Going to the Moma
Obvious tourist spots (empire state building, WTC memorial, brooklyn bridge, time square, central park, chinatown)
Wandering around the city

I know I'm looking for :
the best traditional Thai food restaurant (not really looking for something super fancy, just best actual thai food.)
Alternatively, I could settle for a Vietnamese place to eat the best Pho of my life
Best ramen would also be nice. Momofuku? Minka Ramen?

Also looking for places I might not know but really should see. We're still planning so I'll be asking more specific questions soon, but last time we went to Boston I really loved all the suggestions people gave us. Led to some of the best things we've done while we were on the trip.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 7, 2014

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I was just there visiting a couple of weeks ago. So I can give some recent thoughts.

We ate at Pure Thai cookhouse on 9th Ave (it's between Hells' Kitchen and the Theater district) and it was better than any Thai food I've had in the SF bay area. Can't speak exactly to "authentic", but it wasn't a fusion restaurant or anything like that.

I'm a big fan of Hakata ramen (from spending 10 years in southern CA), and had stuff almost as good as there at Menchanko-Tei Restaurant, which was near Grand Central. Had some friends recommend Ippudo Ramen, but the wait was insane and it seemed like Hakata wasn't their specialty.

I wasn't super impressed with the Moma, and much preferred the Met, but that may be personal taste. Moma is open for free from 6pm-8pm on Friday nights. It's a bit crowded, but didn't seem moreso than everywhere else in NYC. If you do go, head straight for the top 2 floors; that's where the more famous stuff is at and then work your way back down.

The empire state building was cool to go up in. You can pay an extra ~$17 and go up from the normal 86th floor to the 102nd floor, which was worth it. I actually preferred going to the top of rockefeller more though.

Go to the WTC early! We were staying next to it and it was a ghost-town in the mornings but became a madhouse starting around lunchtime on. You can make reservations online too to avoid having to stand in long lines. I thought the memorial would be a short thing, but it was quite large and takes place mostly underground, so plan for a few hours at least. If you are eating around the WTC area, there's an amusing little street called Stone street towards the financial/Wall St district that had a good pizza place and tons of food places along a small cobblestone alleyway. It had a very cool vibe and was very popular. Trinity church was also a really pretty and close by the WTC.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I liked the met more than the moma as well, but i'm a big history dork. Also you can drink on the roof which was rad.

I went the Ippudo ramen (by nyu yeah?) and wasn't too impressed. I think it's a difference style of ramen than I'm used to so maybe that was the issue.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Thanks for the info. We'll consider the Met, especially if we are unfortunate and it rains.

That pure thai place looks like it could fit the bill, still looking for other suggestions if there is any taker. Also going to put Menchanko-Tei on the list of places I try to convince my girlfriend to go to.

We were already planning on doing top of the rock (rockefeller) also, so we probably won't pay for extra floors on the empire state building.

About the WTC memorial, did you do the whole museum thing to spend that much time there?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
If you're interested in the Met, you ought to check out The Cloisters.

Fungal Hi-Fi
Jul 26, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

I'll be on vacation from the 20th to the 26th and we plan to go from Quebec City to New York by car stopping in a few other places on the way. (We won't use the car in New York itself)

When I drove from Montreal to New York a couple of years ago, I used the “avoid tolls” option of Google Maps which meant taking the Taconic State Parkway past Albany. It doesn’t add a lot of time to the trip and makes for a much more interesting ride compared to staying on the I87 all the way. Of course that’s if you plan on crossing the border at Lacolle rather than Stanstead.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

inklesspen posted:

If you're interested in the Met, you ought to check out The Cloisters.

Great suggestion. I added that to our map of New York and we will probably check it out.

Fungal Hi-Fi posted:

When I drove from Montreal to New York a couple of years ago, I used the “avoid tolls” option of Google Maps which meant taking the Taconic State Parkway past Albany. It doesn’t add a lot of time to the trip and makes for a much more interesting ride compared to staying on the I87 all the way. Of course that’s if you plan on crossing the border at Lacolle rather than Stanstead.

We are crossing at Lacolle so I was interested, but we're planning on stopping at the wooodbury outlets on the way to New York so we'd have to cross the river twice therefore it would probably be quite a bit longer. That was a good suggestion though, is the 87 ultra-boring?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

KingColliwog posted:

Great suggestion. I added that to our map of New York and we will probably check it out.

We are crossing at Lacolle so I was interested, but we're planning on stopping at the wooodbury outlets on the way to New York so we'd have to cross the river twice therefore it would probably be quite a bit longer. That was a good suggestion though, is the 87 ultra-boring?

I actually just drove from New York to Montreal this past weekend (I'm writing this from my hotel in Laval). There's nothing much to do on I-87, but the scenery is pretty beautiful, especially in the Adirondack region. Once you get south of Albany it's more of a standard interstate, but nothing awful. I recommend stopping at the New Baltimore rest stop if the weathers nice, it smells like wonderful pine trees, and there's an informative display about loons.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I've been the both the MoMA and The Met (in fact, I'll be going to The Met again tomorrow) and I can honestly say that the MoMA, while it's good for more current artist, it's pretty small and can be done in an hour and a half. The Met however, can take hours and you won't see it all. The Met is also not just an art museum, it's more of a history museum that an art museum. They've got armor, guns and full on dioramas of old rooms that they brought from other parts of the world.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Toebone posted:

I actually just drove from New York to Montreal this past weekend (I'm writing this from my hotel in Laval). There's nothing much to do on I-87, but the scenery is pretty beautiful, especially in the Adirondack region. Once you get south of Albany it's more of a standard interstate, but nothing awful. I recommend stopping at the New Baltimore rest stop if the weathers nice, it smells like wonderful pine trees, and there's an informative display about loons.

Thanks for the info. I noted the New Baltimore rest stop, we'll want to stretch our legs sometime anyway so might as well do it somewhere nice. And loons are nice I guess.

screenwritersblues posted:

I've been the both the MoMA and The Met (in fact, I'll be going to The Met again tomorrow) and I can honestly say that the MoMA, while it's good for more current artist, it's pretty small and can be done in an hour and a half. The Met however, can take hours and you won't see it all. The Met is also not just an art museum, it's more of a history museum that an art museum. They've got armor, guns and full on dioramas of old rooms that they brought from other parts of the world.

Cool, we might end up going to both museums anyway since it's supposed to rain. I'm a history teacher so the Met certainly appeals to me, but the MoMa has some cool stuff I need to see.

nobody-
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'll be in Piscataway, NJ for a couple weeks for a training seminar and was thinking about checking out Manhattan or Brooklyn over a weekend when I'm not in class. What's the best way to get to the boroughs from there? I really don't want to drive my rental car everywhere and have to deal with parking, but according to Google Maps, Midtown Manhattan is still an hour's drive up the NJ Turnpike from Piscataway. Are there park and ride lots where I can drive to the outskirts of the city and catch a train or subway into the boroughs for reasonably cheap?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I wouldn't drive your car into the city if you can avoid it - most NJ Transit stations have parking lots, so you can leave your car and take a train or bus in. If you'd like to drive most of the way, the Secaucus Junction station has a large pay lot with weekend specials, and a cheap shuttle train directly into Manhattan. Just make sure that the train you take back stops at Secaucus (it'll show SEC on the board)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
First thanks to everyone for the help, we had a great trip and a ton of fun.

Nobody : Do not drive a car in NY. First, it'll probably be more expensive than using the NJ transit anyway even without parking because of the tolls. I don't know anything about your location, but it was easy to find parking close to where we took the bus. Just be aware that the NJ transit wasn't all that reliable in our experience. It was sometime late and they would not always follow their schedules at the station. You'd get to the gate where the bus was supposed to be, but for some reason they would end up changing it (and we were 100% certain that we were at the right gate at the right time, there was also multiple locals who were pissed) so we'd miss the bus and have to wait 1 extra hour to get back home. This happened 2 times on our short trip so it's probably pretty common. Also make sure you ask drivers if they go to your specific stop so 1 they remember to actually stop there 2 you don't get the wrong bus because it can be confusing sometimes (letters attached to your bus n# might mean it's an express that won't stop everywhere, etc.). We saw one guy get out of the bus on the loving highway (seriously looked wayyyyy dangerous and illegal) because the driver forgot his stop.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 11, 2014

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

nobody- posted:

I'll be in Piscataway, NJ for a couple weeks for a training seminar and was thinking about checking out Manhattan or Brooklyn over a weekend when I'm not in class. What's the best way to get to the boroughs from there? I really don't want to drive my rental car everywhere and have to deal with parking, but according to Google Maps, Midtown Manhattan is still an hour's drive up the NJ Turnpike from Piscataway. Are there park and ride lots where I can drive to the outskirts of the city and catch a train or subway into the boroughs for reasonably cheap?

Take NJTransit from the New Brunswick Station (or Metropark, or Edison). New Brunswick has a nice garage where you can park. It goes directly to New York Penn Station. From there you have a lot of choices to get around Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Alternatively, you can drive to Jersey City and park at Journal Square. Parking is usually empty during the weekends and you can take the PATH to 33rd Street that way too. This should be the cheaper option, but you'll have to drive up to Jersey City.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

End of September I'm going to be heading to New York. Staying just south-east of Central Park and want to try and tie a weekday day trip to the Bronx Zoo / New York Botanical Gardens / Yankees Game together.

As my hometown literally has less than 10 stops on it's subway I wanted to make sure I was wrapping my head around NY's transit.

Usually a pretty fast walker and if had to cut down on time would skim through the NYBG.

How does below sound for a plan?

9AM Lex Ave 59 #5 express green line north
Exit at E180ST, walk to Bronx Zoo
10AM-2:30PM Bronx Zoo
Walk to New York Botanical Gardens
3PM-6PM - NYBG
Train - Botanical Gardens to Yankees E153
7PM - Yankees Game
Green line #4 south express - Yankee Stadium to Lex ave 59

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 16, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So a friend from Europe wanted to fly to NYC from 12/28 to 1/8 and found a cheap flight. Except now she's looking at sleeping costs and can only find 80EUR/night Airbnbs which is surprising to her cause well she's European and is used to max like 20EUR/night even in Paris.

Are these prices pretty much gonna be the best thing she can do during those dates?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Boris Galerkin posted:

So a friend from Europe wanted to fly to NYC from 12/28 to 1/8 and found a cheap flight. Except now she's looking at sleeping costs and can only find 80EUR/night Airbnbs which is surprising to her cause well she's European and is used to max like 20EUR/night even in Paris.

Are these prices pretty much gonna be the best thing she can do during those dates?

People coming to NYC for New Year's is a Thing, sorry. That's the price I'd expect to pay for a private room airbnb in a good location in NYC. (Though you don't specify what neighborhood she's looking in.)

If she's up for a hostel, I had a good experience at NY Loft.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'll be in NY the first 3 weeks of March (February 27th to March 22nd); I'm staying in NY from the February 27th to March the 8th, and then again from March 14 to the 22nd, when I head back home.

So, in the time between the 8th and the 14th I'm planning on visiting other cities. My plan was to go from NY to Washington on the 8th, stay there until the 10th or 11th, go to Boston on the overnight train, and go back to NY on the 14th.

Does this sound like a good idea? I'm going by friend's suggestions, since it'll be my first time there; are there "better" options than Boston/DC close by that I'm not taking into account? And finally, is the train the way to go to get from one city to the other?

Thanks, I'll probably have some more questions down the road.

schweg
Nov 15, 2004
Yes.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'll be in NY the first 3 weeks of March (February 27th to March 22nd); I'm staying in NY from the February 27th to March the 8th, and then again from March 14 to the 22nd, when I head back home.

So, in the time between the 8th and the 14th I'm planning on visiting other cities. My plan was to go from NY to Washington on the 8th, stay there until the 10th or 11th, go to Boston on the overnight train, and go back to NY on the 14th.

Does this sound like a good idea? I'm going by friend's suggestions, since it'll be my first time there; are there "better" options than Boston/DC close by that I'm not taking into account? And finally, is the train the way to go to get from one city to the other?

Thanks, I'll probably have some more questions down the road.

Sounds like a good plan.

Train is fine. Buses (e.g., Megabus) are usually slightly faster and cheaper. https://www.wanderu.com should search most of the options (bus routes for some carriers won't be set until a month or two out so wait to book).

Philadelphia is also very nice, though it would probably feel more like New York than Boston or DC so those two are probably good choices for most variety.

If you're visiting from out of the country it might be worth checking to see if you can find a cheap flight to New Orleans.
https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=JFK,EWR,LGA;d=2015-03-08;r=2015-03-14;mc=m

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I was to be taking a taxi from Greenwich Village to go to Newark Airport for a flight that departs at 9 am on a Wednesday, how would that cost and what time should I leave? I'm thinking 7 am and I understand that there's a flat rate to Newark from NY but I'm curious to know how much?

nyquil
May 1, 2003

I would do NJ Transit from Penn to Newark Airtrain. Hell of a lot cheaper.

schweg
Nov 15, 2004
Yes.
I don't think it's flat rate to EWR, only from it. Not sure exactly but I think it would be at least $60 - $70 + tip.

nyquil posted:

This, unless you have a lot of people or luggage. Go to Penn Station, buy a NJ Transit ticket to Newark Airport, and look on the boards to find the next train with an airplane symbol (or EWR for the non-electronic board). Airtrain uses the same ticket so be sure to save it after the conductor stamps it.

If you do take the cab, two hours sounds like it would be cutting it a little close if anything goes wrong.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

nyquil posted:

This. Trains that run on the Northeast Corridor, are just going to Rahway, or run on the North Jersey Coast Line are going to stop at the airport. It's only two stops too. If you can, catch a PATH train to Newark Penn and take the train one stop and you're there. If you already have a metrocard that is.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
So how crazy would I be if I wanted to go into the city the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a few hours? I'm thinking about maybe going in around 10 and coming back around five.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

My wife and I are headed to NYC in about 2 weeks, kind of spur of the moment and trying to build our trip itinerary but wondering about transportation times.

We contemplated doing a broadway show but looking to a) fit it into our schedule and b) not spend $200/ticket.
So first A)...

We're leaning towards getting a week pass for the subway and using that to get around Manhattan for the 5 days we're there. We have 3 nights in Midtown East and one night in Time Square for hotels. How long is the subway ride from LaGuardia Airport to Midtown East at 5pm on a Saturday? We thought about Saturday for a Broadway show at 8, but I think landing at 5pm is pushing it to get to our hotel, ready, subway to where show is, etc.

If we're staying primarily in Manhattan, is subway the best mode to get around or by foot? It doesn't look THAT big but maybe traffic is always a threat to crossing the street or delays walking?

B) I think we were edging to get musical tickets and not play tickets for on broadway shows. Wicked was one my wife mentioned. Lion King, Aladdin, BoM, Chicago, Matilda, etc. Most of the more known ones we were willing to try. Tickets seem pricey and we were rather eeeeeeh about spending that much vs. getting back rear mezzanine tickets for $100 some each. How is the seating? Are the far back seats worth it or do we need to splurge for the more costly ones for a better view and experience?
That TKTS website posted pages back didnt look cheaper by the prices they had online? Chicago tickets looked like the same price on TKTS's website and broadway.com. Are the above shows on the TKTS same-day ticket lists or was I perchance looking at the wrong thing?

Edit: I've also been gungho about seeing an Upright Citizen's Brigade improv show. Looks like Chelsea is the better of the two locations? Eyeing up "Harold Night" on Tuesday night. Worth it?

Edit2: I'm from WI but planned to come in jogging sneakers. Is it wet and sloppy walking conditions and boots better to avoid wet socks?

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 6, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
There is no subway connecting to LGA. There are several connecting buses; the M60 goes to upper Manhattan, the Q70 connects to several subway lines in Jackson Heights (as well as the LIRR), and the Q48 connects to Flushing (irrelevant to you). If you want to use public transit to get to your hotel, you should probably plan on taking the Q70 to Jackson Heights and taking the 7 subway "train" (elevated through most of Queens, then underground through Manhattan) to your hotel.

The subway is great for getting around Manhattan, and walking is also easy, except for uptown where Central Park is in the way.

I can't comment on your ticket questions except to note Disney shows do not get discounted anywhere near as much as other shows.

I wear sneakers and am fine most of the time. Sometimes I regret it and wish I had boots.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Upright Citizens Brigade is a great time; I've never been to that particular show but it's hard to go wrong. Get there a little early, you'll want to be able to get a good seat.

funkmaztafox
Dec 9, 2007

"What's it going to be then, eh?"

Duxwig posted:

How long is the subway ride from LaGuardia Airport to Midtown East at 5pm on a Saturday? We thought about Saturday for a Broadway show at 8, but I think landing at 5pm is pushing it to get to our hotel, ready, subway to where show is, etc.

IF you land at 5, taking the bus+train in shouldnt be that bad. About 1.5hrs.

Duxwig posted:

I think we were edging to get musical tickets and not play tickets for on broadway shows. Wicked was one my wife mentioned. Lion King, Aladdin, BoM, Chicago, Matilda, etc. Most of the more known ones we were willing to try. Tickets seem pricey and we were rather eeeeeeh about spending that much vs. getting back rear mezzanine tickets for $100 some each. How is the seating? Are the far back seats worth it or do we need to splurge for the more costly ones for a better view and experience?
That TKTS website posted pages back didnt look cheaper by the prices they had online? Chicago tickets looked like the same price on TKTS's website and broadway.com. Are the above shows on the TKTS same-day ticket lists or was I perchance looking at the wrong thing?

I cant help you with tkts, ive never used it. But i can educate you about "lottery".

First, go to this page and read. http://www.nytix.com/Links/Broadway/lotteryschedule.html

^best deal on broadway. But if youre willing to give it a shot, then you could win amd avoid having to pay full priced tickets. But you may miss your tkts window since the drawings are done 2h before showtime (and youd never make friday). Basically you (and your wife) put your names in a bin like the hundreds of other people. And then at the time posted on that site they draw names. If your name is drawn you can select id you want 1 or 2 tickets, so only you or your wife need to win (but most ppl are here in doubles also). Typically the seats will be in the side boxes (balconies) with very slight viewing obstruction (mostly just the extreme sides), or maybe in the mezz around a column or something. And because of that, its also harder to score a win. Some shows (BoM, Wicked) give the first 10 tickets (5 names drawn, typically) to front row. I won wicked this way.

Likewise, there's "rush", which requires you to arrive at the box office before it opens in the morning.

http://www.broadwayspotted.com/rush-report-12714/ supposedly tracks statstics for both rush and lottery but i really doubt the accuracy of it, but ive never verify/validated.

Ive not seen nearly enough but ive seen wicked, lion king, and bom from those youve listed and all three are extremely different in production. As off-shoot as it sounds, i would definitely throw kinky boots into that rotation for considerations. Sounds like a lame rear end show based on the title, but had it not been for a 11degree and snowing like crazy night, allowing me to easily score lottery tickets, i would not be going to see it for the third time this coming christmas. It is a solid show and billy porter is a loving phenom.

Lion king has NO discounted tickets. Sorry. (Oh, and not every musical does the lottery, as you can prob tell from the schedule at the above site. That schedule is relatively accurate but you may want to call the theatre the day before and see if they do it just to be sure.)

Regarding the actual seats, way back is fine too. Some of these prices ARE crazy. But some of the smaller theatres have tiny drat seats w/no leg room, so if youre over 6' tall, aisle seat is a MUST.

Duxwig posted:

Edit2: I'm from WI but planned to come in jogging sneakers. Is it wet and sloppy walking conditions and boots better to avoid wet socks?

Lots of walking tends to lean towards sneakers BUT if it's going to be rainy, it sucks. Check the weather just before you come: if it's little to no rain, leave the boots and umbrella. If it's 3+ days or rain forecasted, bring both. The roads are kinda poo poo (but slowly improving) and drainage at cross-walks blows. Its actually quite entertaining watching businessmen accidentally step ankles-deep into a water puddle in ferragamo's.

funkmaztafox fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 8, 2014

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I'm taking my family up to NYC after Christmas, this will be my third time there. I'm looking for the following:

1) Recommendations on cemeteries. My wife loves to photograph them. The older-looking, the better.
2) Recommendations for lunch on Staten Island not far from ferry launch
3) Recommendations for kids' stores where they can horse around (ala Fao Schwarz)
4) Recommendations for open market-types of streets where we can shop and eat and enjoy ourselves
5) Overall feedback on my :airquote: child-friendly :airquote: (ages 4,5) itinerary below. I tried keeping things geographically sensible.

THU. fly in, dinner somewhere in UWS up Broadway, Levain Bakery for dessert
FRI. Day 1: 9/11 Memorial, Battery Park, Staten Island Ferry (for free views of SoL), [afternoon] Brooklyn Bridge, South St Seaport, Sony Wonder Tech Lab, [night] Fao Schwarz, Apple
SAT. Day 2: Central Park (CP) - CP Zoo, Wollman Skating Rink, [afternoon] stroll/playgrounds, CP Museum of Nat. Hist., [night] Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Lego Store
SUN. Day 3: White Castle (brother in law's request :v), Bryant Park/NY Public Library, Grand Central, [night] Window display tour (Bloomindales, Barneys, Bergdorf Goodman, Saks 5th Ave, Lord & Taylor, Macy's)
MON. Day 4 - Little Italy, Chinatown

Our schedule is top-heavy as that will be when we have the most energy but we're totally fine with moving things around depending on the weather, so we're not married to the schedule. We're staying on the upper-west side (?) near Lincoln Center, and plan on using the subway whenever it makes sense to do so.

edit: updated schedule (removed dinner @ The View as it is expensive and not kid-friendly and re-ordered stuff around)

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 12, 2014

funkmaztafox
Dec 9, 2007

Good looking itin. Youre going to exhaust yourself day 2 so i'd keep day 3 relatively light. Dip into the lego store at rockefeller center and let them look around. When they hound you to buy the $150 lego movie kit, instead find the little kiosk where you can custom-build your own lego person ($5 gets you 3 individual lego characters iirc). Then they'll leave happy (and with souvenirs), and you wont be broke.

Also, look into the sony wonder technology lab. I took my little there and it was interesting enough for me. I think the ideal range is prob 6-10 or adult (lots of interesting stuff on development of technology), but again free, and maybe theyll enjoy it. Some of the exhibits are cool. (https://www.sonywondertechlab.com) - ADVANCED RESERVATIONS REQUIRED (and no food/drinks/starbucks allowed inside).

Im sorry that i cant help you with the cemetary/staten island recommendations. Also, given your location (UWS), make sure you stop by levain bakery on 74/amsterdam for the best cookies you'll ever eat.

Also, reserve 9/11 memorial tickets online instead of at the door. You wont regret it.

funkmaztafox fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 8, 2014

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Thanks! Great suggestions particularly the Lego stuff, which my kids love. Me and the other dad going will be on the prowl for good eating anywhere in the UWS, so if you come up with anything else, let me know as I imagine him and I will do some walking about for brew or snacks.

9/11 requires ticketing? Man its been a long time since it was just a hole in the ground (2004). I'll need to research that.

looks like the 9/11 Memorial is free, but the 9/11 Museum is what requires a ticket.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 8, 2014

funkmaztafox
Dec 9, 2007

sorry, I should've prefaced by saying that last time i went to the memorial, the museum was still closed, so there was no "museum ticket". But you still could reserve tickets (for a slotted time) in advance for $2/ea I believe and skip the horrendously.long.line. So if they still offer that I'd still do it.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with UWS restaurants. Jacob's Pickles is an excellent comfort food choice, and Sarabeth's West is up there (for brunch). Whatever you do, don't miss Levain.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
We may skip the Museum altogether and just walk around the Memorial itself - is there a line to access the Memorial itself if we just wanted to walk around?

funkmaztafox
Dec 9, 2007

Im hesitant to answer. (There used to be, ~1yr ago, but since then the museum has opened) It may be wide open now with no ticket/metal detectors/entry point required. Just checked the webaite and its pretty vague, but seeing as there are no more advanced tickets, maybe its more open now.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I was there in July and the outside reflecting pool area is wide open, albeit crowded. There were no lines or tickets required to wander around there. Lines and tickets were to go down into the museum area, which was quite extensive and impressively done, although I'm not sure 4/5 years olds would get that much out of it. There was a lot of construction in the area around there and battery park though too.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Thanks. I spoke w/ my family and we're probably just going to visit the reflecting pools on our way down to Battery Park/Statue of Liberty. Between the two families we have 3 kids under 5 so we'll need to be realistic about their attention spans and being considerate to those around us.

V noted! Thanks, I really appreciate these suggestions. It sure beats a shot in the dark hoping you hit a good restaurant.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 12, 2014

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

If you're going to Little Italy, eat at Parm. It's pretty family friendly, and has great food unlike a lot of the touristy places around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

funkmaztafox posted:

Im hesitant to answer. (There used to be, ~1yr ago, but since then the museum has opened) It may be wide open now with no ticket/metal detectors/entry point required. Just checked the webaite and its pretty vague, but seeing as there are no more advanced tickets, maybe its more open now.

I think they've changed it but I'm also pretty hesitant to answer. It's been about a year for me too, and I had to go through bag check/metal detectors/security before entering the memorial. You also need a free ticket which you can get from the Visitor Center a few blocks down on Vesey St. However more recently, I went on a night after work and was able to just stroll right into the memorial without a security check nor a ticket.

• Locked thread