Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
I've shot quite a few rolls with the N9000. They used to be in the toycamera thread before that got archived. I've got a bunch of them on my blog posted here. I almost always shoot with a small flash for some fill in and either 200 and 400 film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I accidentally knocked my Olympus XA off a shelf and now it's metering exactly two stops too slow compared to the light meter app on my iPhone or in my Canon AE-1 Program, no matter the light conditions. I tried a different set of batteries, but I got the same results. Generally, I would just set the ISO control to a different setting, but the control doesn't go high enough to shoot the ISO 400 roll that's in there right now.

I'm wondering if it is worth it to try to get my XA fixed or if I should just get a BGN XA from KEH for $99.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

mulls posted:

I accidentally knocked my Olympus XA off a shelf and now it's metering exactly two stops too slow compared to the light meter app on my iPhone or in my Canon AE-1 Program, no matter the light conditions. I tried a different set of batteries, but I got the same results. Generally, I would just set the ISO control to a different setting, but the control doesn't go high enough to shoot the ISO 400 roll that's in there right now.

I'm wondering if it is worth it to try to get my XA fixed or if I should just get a BGN XA from KEH for $99.

You can paint and scratch the DX codes so the camera will identify the film as two stops slower (faster?) and thus meter "properly"?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Miike posted:

I've shot quite a few rolls with the N9000. They used to be in the toycamera thread before that got archived. I've got a bunch of them on my blog posted here. I almost always shoot with a small flash for some fill in and either 200 and 400 film.

Awesome, thanks!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Primo Itch posted:

You can paint and scratch the DX codes so the camera will identify the film as two stops slower (faster?) and thus meter "properly"?

The XA has a manual ISO selection dial that only goes up to 800. No DX.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

deaders posted:

I got an Olympus XA3 and loving love it.

aww yiss

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 24, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Wow that rocks - was it late evening or just really heavy cloud?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
late arvo on a rainy/cloudy day. bit of a dodge on the middle building.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Gotta get the Stylus Epic out again for some Tri-x fun.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MrBlandAverage posted:

The XA has a manual ISO selection dial that only goes up to 800. No DX.

However, the highly sophisticated meter system involves physically moving a disc with progressively larger holes punched in it. There's a little wiggle room - you can have the meter disc adjusted up one stop so it'll meter 1600. Mine reads exactly one stop fast (ISO 800 is actually 1600), so I suspect this was done at some point. That's got it on the shortlist of cameras I'll never sell - once it goes to 1600 it's more or less a perfect camera so far as I'm concerned. It's one of my best low light shooters, it's a tough choice between my XA and my Lynx 14E.

By the way I rather suspect this is what's gotten mis-set on muffs' camera. If the meter's not actually borked, just consistently reading 2 stops low - I have a strong suspicion that that disc got mis-aligned in the fall. I don't know how you would actually adjust it though, and I'm sure the XA is full of a million tiny parts...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 24, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

The XA3 reads DX codes (only difference from the XA2 apparently) but if you cover the contacts with a piece of paper when loading the film you can set it manually up from 100 - 1600 ISO.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't know how you would actually adjust it though, and I'm sure the XA is full of a million tiny parts...

As someone who bought a $5 thrift store XA in rough shape, I can confirm that it is full of tiny parts. I can also confirm that if the shutter button falls off it's pretty hosed.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I had to pull my orange shutter button off to readjust the range finder. It's stuck on with some kind of glue and the only way I could get it to stay on again is with a piece of scotch tape draped over the whole thing. It only fires when it wants to now. :(

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Saint Fu posted:

I had to pull my orange shutter button off to readjust the range finder. It's stuck on with some kind of glue and the only way I could get it to stay on again is with a piece of scotch tape draped over the whole thing. It only fires when it wants to now. :(

That's pretty much exactly what I was talking about. You would think just sticking it back on would work, but it doesn't. Oly stuck that shutter button on with some kind of liquid voodoo.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey folks, so I just bought a Nikon F3, and want to shoot some color photos in an urban space. Do people have any good recommendations for what brand of film to go with? Sorry if this is an annoying or overly asked questions.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

hi liter posted:

Hey folks, so I just bought a Nikon F3, and want to shoot some color photos in an urban space. Do people have any good recommendations for what brand of film to go with? Sorry if this is an annoying or overly asked questions.

Kodak Portra 400

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

hi liter posted:

Kodak Portra 400.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ansel autisms posted:

Kodak Portra 400

MrBlandAverage posted:

Kodak Portra 400.

this

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What about Fuji 400? Or is that just used for overexposing to get pastel colors?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You can do that on Kodak Portra 400 while avoiding 400H's tendency to shift magenta.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Well that seems like a pretty strong consensus. Thanks.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

hi liter posted:

Well that seems like a pretty strong consensus. Thanks.

hence the title of the thread

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

You can do that on Kodak Portra 400 while avoiding 400H's tendency to shift magenta.
If I could only ever shoot one type of color film it'd be portra.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
What's wrong with Tri-X? Why do you want colour? What does colour do for you? gently caress colour.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Mrenda posted:

What's wrong with Tri-X? Why do you want colour? What does colour do for you? gently caress colour.

Colors are pretty. Not that I think B&W isn't pretty, but I like colors and colorful things, and want to make colorful images.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
imo you should try Velvia 50

jk

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
ektar 100 is fun imo but I dunno if it gets much love on these forums

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

ansel autisms posted:

Doesn't Portra shift kinda yellow/orange if you overexpose it?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Should just rename this thread The Portra 400 Thread

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

404notfound posted:

Can't say I've ever noticed that, no. The colors do get pretty flat.

Tony Two Bapes posted:

For better or worse, it's like if Velvia were a negative film, including crazy color and handling underexposure poorly.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

handling underexposure poorly.

I found this out on the last roll I shot

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Tony Two Bapes posted:

Ektar has some sweet colors, but I wonder if it might be a little slow for urban shooting, which could require working with some rapidly changing lighting conditions. But yeah, at ISO 400 I can't imagine using anything other than Portra or 400H.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

404notfound posted:

When I had a bunch of portra at the ice I was bracketing like mad and was getting really heavy yellow and blue shifts with over and under exposing. Really noticeable in all-white icy scenes.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Tony Two Bapes posted:

I like Ektar 100, it's quite sharp and has punchy colors that you can mute down a bit to get something saner -- but not Portra level quiet.
But, yeah, it doesn't like underexposure; also for me the shadows always will be blue. No matter the light conditions. I guess sometimes I like the "consumer film" look for my colors.

Not the best shot, but something I had readily at hand.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 25, 2014

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Provia 100F :D

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Portra was 10 bucks a roll at my camera shop, Superia 400 was 5 bucks. I went with Superia. I think I'm gonna buy film online next time.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Superia is still good :)

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've been shooting black and white film for the past two years. It's how I started in film photography. In reality it's how I started in any photography. I like it. I like some of the photos I get out of it. I've been avoiding digital. Partly because I like the process of shooting film. I like not having 468 shots free on my memory card. 467 (after I've taken one shot) that need to be filled. I feel 36 photographs is a manageable amount. I've actually felt embarrassed on photowalks by the lack of pictures I've been taking. People were rattling off their shutters and I was standing doing nothing. I've learned to take multiple shots on film now, knowing I won't get the one I'm thinking of in the first attempt. But still, 36 frames is enough for me. I like the dirty, grimy texture of a black and white film photograph.

I like the look of black and white film. I like the simplicity of black and white. I like not needing to understand colours. Mainly though I don't feel I understand how colour works. Ultimately I think it's that I like some of the black and white pictures I took and I don't like anything I've done in colour.

It could be because my city is built with a lot of stone. Sure there are shop fronts, but any of the grander and more interesting buildings are made of stone (and that's even negative thinking about the more commercial store fronts, where people have done amazing things on this forum with those commercial, everyday buildings.) I am very much limited to my city. I don't have the confidence (nor the lighting equipment) to do portraits. I don't have the confidence to force myself into a gig situation and photograph them. I could never be hosed going shooting a team I don't care about on a wet and windy Saturday morning after I've been drinking. Ultimately, the city is accessible and that's where I go.

I know I have to push myself to shoot colour film. Possibly the cost of shooting colour is holding me back. To pay for development on top of film costs seems prohibitive. I could easily shoot digital colour but my lovely 18-55 Nikkor makes me feel like I have a tiny dick. Like I lack authenticity.

All in all, how the gently caress do you shoot colour? I bought Understanding Exposure, and that showed me how to use my camera (not that I read it the entire way through before giving it to a friend who wouldn't do anything but look at the pictures briefly.) I know how a camera works. I don't know how the gently caress colour works? (Shoot more.)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Mrenda posted:

It could be because my city is built with a lot of stone. Sure there are shop fronts, but any of the grander and more interesting buildings are made of stone (and that's even negative thinking about the more commercial store fronts, where people have done amazing things on this forum with those commercial, everyday buildings.) I am very much limited to my city. I don't have the confidence (nor the lighting equipment) to do portraits. I don't have the confidence to force myself into a gig situation and photograph them. I could never be hosed going shooting a team I don't care about on a wet and windy Saturday morning after I've been drinking. Ultimately, the city is accessible and that's where I go.

re: confidence

Force yourself to be uncomfortable and fail. I'm sure you were uncomfortable when you first picked up that film camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Shoot more, make a lot less excuses?