Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Hyrule Warriors is awesome. My favorite characters to play are Fi, Impa and Agitha what's yours?

Lana with the book is easily my best character (I also like the gate in theory but in practice it's a very stiff weapons). I also like Midna, Zant, Sheik and Link (Fairy).

Unrelated, man the Peach/Daisy costume in Bayonetta is an odd combination of embarrassing and absurdly ugly.

Also, quick tip for anyone playing the first Bayonetta for the first time: when you get the claw put them on your feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do you mean Bayonetta's feet or my feet?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Whichever.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I woke up with The Claw on my feet this morning, got appointment with the podiatrist on Monday.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

If you haven't had a Nintendo console since the SNES but got a Wii U for Bayonetta(and assorted other things) how much money should you set aside for downloadable HD ports of old games and the like? I would assume a lot but I've also heard that Nintendo's eshop is incompetently managed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Roflan posted:

If you haven't had a Nintendo console since the SNES but got a Wii U for Bayonetta(and assorted other things) how much money should you set aside for downloadable HD ports of old games and the like? I would assume a lot but I've also heard that Nintendo's eshop is incompetently managed.

I won't say 'incompetently managed' exactly, it's just that Nintendo seems incapable of implementing a proper account system so everything is tied to the console, making it a total pain to get your stuff back if it breaks or is stolen.

So far the VC only contains NES, SNES and GBA games and the only HD port of anything is Wind Waker.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bayo2 is good, but I have the strange urge to play my copy of W101 instead. Gamer choices.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I still need to play Hyrule Warriors, both Dankey Kangs, and I want to get Bayonetta 1+2, but I just spend all my time playing Smash :geno:

Maybe I need my circle pad to break

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

So far the VC only contains NES, SNES and GBA games and the only HD port of anything is Wind Waker.

Wind Waker is the one Zelda they thought desperately needed an HD release? Well, maybe I can get all those Castlevanias I used to like?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Roflan posted:

Wind Waker is the one Zelda they thought desperately needed an HD release?

Actually in an interview, the dude said it was because WW already looked great and the style took less work to make look good in HD as opposed to, say, Twilight Princess or Majoras Mask.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

AzureRequiem posted:

Remember to respect other people's opinions and have a nice day, friends!
As a Gamer, I am compelled to state my opinions in an obnoxiously inflammatory manner, then responded to other people's obnoxiously inflammatorily stated opinions in kind.

Roflan posted:

Wind Waker is the one Zelda they thought desperately needed an HD release? Well, maybe I can get all those Castlevanias I used to like?
I think that Wind Waker visually benefited from the new, hard shadows, higher resolution, and sharper textures, but yeah, Twilight Princess, especially with its wealth of dark, shady areas, probably would have been a much better fit for a WWHD-style makeover. Maybe they felt that there was a lot more streamlining that could be done with Wind Waker? I'm not sure they could have made nearly as many quality-of-life changes to Twilight Princess as they did to Wind Waker. Oddly enough, they haven't done many HD collections, perhaps in part because the Wii U lacks any sort of analog triggers, which a number of GC games actually used, and the system is backwards compatible with the Wii. Maybe the GC controller adapter will make this possible, I'm not really clever enough about tech to know that.

Also, as far as VC CV offerings, Aria of Sorrow is an absolutely stellar Castlevania game. Of the three GBA Castlevanias, it's easily my favorite, though Circle of the Moon isn't too bad. I'm pretty sure all the NES Castlevanias are released, as well? Not sure about Dracula's Curse.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ultigonio posted:

Also, as far as VC CV offerings, Aria of Sorrow is an absolutely stellar Castlevania game. Of the three GBA Castlevanias, it's easily my favorite, though Circle of the Moon isn't too bad. I'm pretty sure all the NES Castlevanias are released, as well? Not sure about Dracula's Curse.

Agreed on this. Get the GBA Castlevanias if you can; They're stellar games. In stark contrast stand the NES games. They're all bad. Castlevania 1 is okay and a great nostalgia trip, but the other two are crap. If you could mod Castlevania II and play the remake instead, it becomes passable. I know this is probably a Bad Opinion but I think they're frustrating slogs.

Sakurazuka posted:

There's also official best Castlevania game IV on VC as well.

This. Absolutely this.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 24, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

From what I understood from the interview they weren't really planning on making a remake, they were looking at a bunch of Zelda games in HD while brainstorming what to do with Zelda U. Windwaker looked so good that they figured they could officially HD-ify it without too much work.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

Agreed on this. Get the GBA Castlevanias if you can; They're stellar games. In stark contrast stand the NES games. They're all bad. Castlevania 1 is okay and a great nostalgia trip, but the other two are crap. If you could mod Castlevania II and play the remake instead, it becomes passable. I know this is probably a Bad Opinion but I think they're frustrating slogs.
Well I mean Harmony of Dissonance is pretty shite, but Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow are pretty great in their own rights. I think Castlevania 1 has some great design choices and the levels are pretty much all stellar, so calling it a nostalgia trip is underselling the game. Castlevania 3 is pretty alright as well, even if it's really a test of patience with how hard it can be.

Funny that the NES and GBA both put out two good castlevanias and one really just not good one.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
For those of you already playing Bayonetta, can both these games be played with video going to the Gamepad, or do they require television output like W101?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

BFC posted:

Well I mean Harmony of Dissonance is pretty shite, but Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow are pretty great in their own rights. I think Castlevania 1 has some great design choices and the levels are pretty much all stellar, so calling it a nostalgia trip is underselling the game. Castlevania 3 is pretty alright as well, even if it's really a test of patience with how hard it can be.

Funny that the NES and GBA both put out two good castlevanias and one really just not good one.

Eh, I really enjoyed Castlevania 1 as a kid, so don't get me wrong. I have an appreciation for it. The sound and music design are both great. It's a historic game with a ton of significance, but the Castlevania games that came later, especially IV, are better games I think. Just an opinion of mine. Different strokes for different folks. I don't really enjoy Super Metroid either. Please don't kill me

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's definitely meant to be sexy but Bayonetta is very much a satanist view of feminism/empowerment. The sexuality is there, thrown out by the main character in a weird goofy hyper BDSM kind of way. It's in your face but it's so over the top that it shouldn't make anyone feel like a dumb 12 year old virgin unless you're an uncomfortable weirdo about this kind of thing.

Bayonetta rules go buy it everyone.

Satan is into camp? Because that's all it really is - it's campy as poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neraren posted:

For those of you already playing Bayonetta, can both these games be played with video going to the Gamepad, or do they require television output like W101?

Haven't tried the original yet but the second one definitely can and I don't see any reason why the first wouldn't.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Haven't tried the original yet but the second one definitely can and I don't see any reason why the first wouldn't.

To follow this up, the original doesn't even have much going on the gamepad outside of just the game video (there are also some crappy optional touch controls and an extra button to post a screenshot at any time), so you can definitely play without a TV screen.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Neraren posted:

The second one at least plays like 3D world where the video is always showing on both the TV and pad.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The best castlevania game is on VC, but only Wii VC. I'm talking about Rondo of Blood, of course. You should buy it anyway and play in Wii mode because it's that good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Alternatively, buy all the Castlevanias available on Wii or Wii U because they are all good.

Don't forget Rebirth on the Wii side, too.

EDIT: Available digitally, because otherwise that includes Judgment.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

BFC posted:

Harmony of Dissonance isn't bad. Just bright, and easy.

Basically, with Castlevania the ones to buy are the First one, the GBA/DS ones, IV, The Japanese version of 3, and Rondo of Blood.

Simon's quest is very cryptic and abstract about a lot of things and is basically Symphony of the Night's style done with Classic Castlevania controls. Dracula X is Rondo of Blood without Maria as a playable character and stiffer controls.

They're all good games but some are better than others.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Cool the Nintendo costumes can be used in the first Bayonetta as well!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In the past two months i've played through super mario 1,2,3, World, Yoshi's Island, New Super mario DS, new Super mario Wii, Newer super mario (phenomenal fanmade softmod), and Mario 64. I'm halfway through 3d Land, and am aiming to replay Sunshine, Galaxy 1 and 2 before the end of the year - and hopefully squeeze in 3d world as the grand finale. This is a stupid undertaking by any rational measure.

And I just realized that Paper mario is on the Wii's virtual console. And that got me thinking...

I've never played Thousand Year Door. I've heard good things from a great many people about it. Is this one worth tracking down if I enjoyed paper mario 64?

Buying a WiiU has reignited a love for Nintendo I haven't had in well over a decade - I've been so twisted on nostalgia that my WiiU has only seen NintendoLand and Mario Kart 8. Bayonetta 2 will have to join those ranks soon enough.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

And I just realized that Paper mario is on the Wii's virtual console. And that got me thinking...

I've never played Thousand Year Door. I've heard good things from a great many people about it. Is this one worth tracking down if I enjoyed paper mario 64?

A thousand times yes

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

So, having a blast here w/ Bayo 1. There is some INSANE slowdown on one of the first fights though (some twin-headed dragon thing), I hope this is just because they ported and Bayonetta 2 won't have this problem? Like, crazy slowdown and lag.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Narcissus1916 posted:

In the past two months i've played through super mario 1,2,3, World, Yoshi's Island, New Super mario DS, new Super mario Wii, Newer super mario (phenomenal fanmade softmod), and Mario 64. I'm halfway through 3d Land, and am aiming to replay Sunshine, Galaxy 1 and 2 before the end of the year - and hopefully squeeze in 3d world as the grand finale. This is a stupid undertaking by any rational measure.

Buying a WiiU has reignited a love for Nintendo I haven't had in well over a decade - I've been so twisted on nostalgia that my WiiU has only seen NintendoLand and Mario Kart 8. Bayonetta 2 will have to join those ranks soon enough.

Paper Mario TTYD is the best RPG ever made.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Tatsuta Age posted:

So, having a blast here w/ Bayo 1. There is some INSANE slowdown on one of the first fights though (some twin-headed dragon thing), I hope this is just because they ported and Bayonetta 2 won't have this problem? Like, crazy slowdown and lag.

Wow, this is really depressing to hear. I was hoping to get a solid 60 FPS.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Austrian mook posted:

Paper Mario TTYD is the best RPG ever made.

It really was great.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Austrian mook posted:

Wow, this is really depressing to hear. I was hoping to get a solid 60 FPS.

I thought that in the Bayonetta direct they said that sometimes it dips but it never drops below 30.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I thought that in the Bayonetta direct they said that sometimes it dips but it never drops below 30.

Is that for 2 though? I'm playing 1 currently.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
is there a bundle for a wiiU and smash bros yet? i suddenly got the urge to buy one, it was almost psychic.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I haven't noticed any FPS drops below 30 on Bayo 1 so far. And in the Bayo 2 demo it was 60 for the most part.

Punching the gently caress out of things with Bowser's god fist is everything I wanted it to be :allears: The only way it could be better is if I could actually fight AS Bowser.

Also the enemies dropping coins when you're wearing the Mario outfit is great. You can collect them and they make the sound effects and everything. She's also got a plush Mario on her waist :3: (or Luigi if you're in the Daisy outfit)

And omg the part where it's teaching you to use the hair in the first game, I imagine when it lifts up those two statues it's using your hair normally. But with the Peach outfit, Bowser's arms pop out and daintily lift up the statues (like he even extends a pinkie) :allears:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 24, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tatsuta Age posted:

I ran into that, too, whenever the dragon heads would chomp into the awning. I haven't tried Bayonetta 2 yet, but I'm hoping this kind of slowdown doesn't occur, and it's just port-related. It's baaaaad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I decided to play through Bayonetta 1 before going to 2. Bayonetta 1 on Wii U looks just like the 360 version, which is fine, but it definitely looks like a game from 2008. Does Bayonetta 2 look significantly better?

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I decided to play through Bayonetta 1 before going to 2. Bayonetta 1 on Wii U looks just like the 360 version, which is fine, but it definitely looks like a game from 2008. Does Bayonetta 2 look significantly better?

lol dude just put it in and see wtf

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Neraren posted:

W101 doesn't require a TV, I beat most of it in bed on the tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's a demo play that and see for youreself!

• Locked thread