Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Speedtest and angry birds installs for me. Weird.

For sure do a system restore/flash the latest fw on these things.

Yeah I'm telling you these things are great xbmc boxes.

Also, Netflix is definitely not stuck on 480p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
...except they can't change the refresh rate, apart from the Minix NEO X8, which was mentioned a few times already I guess.

Do you own stock options, Gozinbulx? :)

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

Also, Netflix is definitely not stuck on 480p.

So do these Android boxes run a special Netflix app unique to them or is it just the tablet version of the app from the Play Store?

I noticed the Netflix website says:

quote:

Resolution: Android tablets currently support streaming in 480p. Netflix HD playback is available on select KitKat (Android OS 4.4) based devices.

Or are these Android boxes some of the select KitKat devices? From my Googling it seems that the Android boxes are locked to 480p.

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 17, 2014

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Excellent, thanks.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Sagacity posted:

...except they can't change the refresh rate, apart from the Minix NEO X8, which was mentioned a few times already I guess.

Do you own stock options, Gozinbulx? :)

The MINIX is an amlogic s802 with a Mali 450 (like the m8) so not sure how its different.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Ubuntu and Intel HDMI HD Audio problems.

Not sure if this is the place to ask this question or not but hopefully.
I can't seem to get XBMC to show me the HDMI bitstreaming and hd audio options in the audio settings panel. When watching material that has DTS or Dolby my receiver is getting the audio as multichannel whereas before (on my Windows based XBMC setup) when DTS or Dolby audio was in the material my receiver would recognize the DTS or Dolby and display that information on the front panel. So I don't think XBMC is doing audio pass through to my receiver and instead decoding the audio itself.

I downloaded and installed the Intel drivers for Ubuntu and that didn't seem to solve the problem.

Looking at the XBMC wiki for this just says that "This isn't a problem for Ubuntu v13 or greater so ignore any of the below instructions."

Any help on where to look on how to fix this would be appreciated.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

EC posted:

Many, many pages ago, people were talking about Kickstarting Lightpack, which is like an ambilight/bobslight type thing. Anybody have it installed and working with XBMC? Is it easy to setup and get working reliably? Does it make CPU usage go crazy or anything weird? Looking through the FAQ they advise to buy two units to work on displays 50" and up, which would kind of suck for my 55".

My wife misses ambilight so much she talks about it daily.

I have it, I like it, but I turned it off. I did the kickstarter and it turned out I needed two due to the size of my tv (52 in) to really fill the wall. I didn't really feel like paying for another one so it's basically hooked up, but not on. It sorta worked when I had my Revo3160 but it lagged badly in HD scenes. It's decently CPU intensive. My new HTPC had no problems with it though.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Did Watch Later in the Youtube add-on break for anyone else? Everything else works so I don't think its a login issue, but for some reason Watch Later just returns no results since yesterday.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Wrong thread.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I tried asking in the OSX Software thread, but with the release of 10.10 I'm not getting any answers. I just realized I encoded a full season of a TV show with the wrong language as default; is there any software I can use to batch change that to the correct track on OSX?

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I tried asking in the OSX Software thread, but with the release of 10.10 I'm not getting any answers. I just realized I encoded a full season of a TV show with the wrong language as default; is there any software I can use to batch change that to the correct track on OSX?

maybe if you use some kind of conversion tool like Handbrake and only change the default language settings?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

GobiasIndustries posted:

You can set the default language in XBMC for audio tracks to english, that might work.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I've got a bit of a convoluted Apple TV 2 XBMC setup that I'm having buffering issues with. I've got the Apple TV hooked up to the TV/receiver running XBMC Gotham, and a desktop external hard drive connected to my Time Capsule as a network drive. I didn't seem to have many issues with older versions of XBMC, but lately I'm having a lot more buffering issues. I went ahead and set cachemembuffer=0 thinking that would help. I don't think the USB external drive connected to the Time Capsule is a very robust setup, but it's what I have available right now. These aren't 1080p quality files or anything, so I'm not sure where the buffering is coming from. I'm not sure if an actual NAS would work better, or even upgrading to an Amazon FireTV and root it with the hard drive directly connected, but the constant buffering issues are killing my kiddo and his precious TV time.

Falco fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 23, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GobiasIndustries posted:

It can't batch change but use mkvmerge to either remove the audio tracks you don't need or make the english track the default. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes per file to fix everything since it isn't reencoding everything like if you used Handbrake.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 23, 2014

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
XBMC newb here.

Whats the best way to get "TV Shows" to appear the same as "Movies". I set the directory for each and went through that step where you select a scrapper. For Movies, it works great, showing details for each movie, a cover image and all that. However, for TV shows it doesn't do the same thing. Even though I've added my TV Shows folder, I still have to go through Videos > Files to access them. Its not until I manually add each folder by clicking "Check content" or whatever that it will add it to TV Shows.

On my networked drive, I have on folder called TV and within that are folders for every different episode. In the "Change Content" options for TV Shows I've selected the option that says something to the effect of "TV Shows are in different folders." For the TV Shows that I do add manually, I notice that I have to get rid of all the extraneous text in the folder name for it to recognize the title of the show. Once it finds it though it pops up under TV Shows and looks great. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

visuvius posted:

XBMC newb here.

Whats the best way to get "TV Shows" to appear the same as "Movies". I set the directory for each and went through that step where you select a scrapper. For Movies, it works great, showing details for each movie, a cover image and all that. However, for TV shows it doesn't do the same thing. Even though I've added my TV Shows folder, I still have to go through Videos > Files to access them. Its not until I manually add each folder by clicking "Check content" or whatever that it will add it to TV Shows.

On my networked drive, I have on folder called TV and within that are folders for every different episode. In the "Change Content" options for TV Shows I've selected the option that says something to the effect of "TV Shows are in different folders." For the TV Shows that I do add manually, I notice that I have to get rid of all the extraneous text in the folder name for it to recognize the title of the show. Once it finds it though it pops up under TV Shows and looks great. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

When you added the tv shows folder did you check the box to include it in scans?

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
If you go to your tv show folder in file-mode and choose 'scan for new content' does it scan anything into the library? If not, you should probably check your content settings (content type=tv shows and TVDB scraper) or check if your filenames are in the right format.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

What's your folder structure and file naming look like? The scraper may just not know what you have if you organize like a scrub.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Don Lapre posted:

When you added the tv shows folder did you check the box to include it in scans?

Yes the folder is set to be included in scans with TVDB as the scraper.

redhalo posted:

What's your folder structure and file naming look like? The scraper may just not know what you have if you organize like a scrub.

I have a main folder for each of the different categories. So I have TV folder then within that are subfolders for each episode. Is this not kosher?

I'm thinking you're right and my problem is the folder names for each episode. Anyone mind sharing the sort string you use for Series? Should I just use the preset?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I use drive pooling/user shares, and have a Movies and TV folder.
TV shows are named like Series.Title.(2010).S01E01.Episode.Title.HDTV-720p.ext, with each show having it's own folder, and each season within that having it's own folder. An example filename would be Sleepy.Hollow.S01E02.Blood.Moon.Bluray-720p.mkv.
Movies are just Movie Name (Year)/Movie Name (Year).ext.

Could you be more specific about how you organize your media, like in my example above?
Filebot is a pretty decent renamer with drag and drop functionality, NZBDrone (Solarr) will rename stuff as well if you use that or plan to.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

visuvius posted:

Yes the folder is set to be included in scans with TVDB as the scraper.

I have a main folder for each of the different categories. So I have TV folder then within that are subfolders for each episode. Is this not kosher?

I'm thinking you're right and my problem is the folder names for each episode. Anyone mind sharing the sort string you use for Series? Should I just use the preset?

why folders for each episode? did you turn on recursive scanning in content settings?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Call Me Charlie posted:

It can't batch change but use mkvmerge to either remove the audio tracks you don't need or make the english track the default. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes per file to fix everything since it isn't reencoding everything like if you used Handbrake.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix

Ah, perfect, thanks! I'd been playing around with Handbrake the past few days trying to figure out if I could leave everything but the audio alone and couldn't find anything; this looks like exactly what I need!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

On my Fire, I bumped my RAM cache up from 20mb to 350mb and got rid of the bandwidth cap 32mbit/s under advanced configuration, all of my stutter issues with large (12+GB) files over Wi-Fi disappeared. Fire now has "only" 850mb ram free when the cache is full, but I don't use it for anything else. I've only seen it burst to 40+mbit/s once but it pretty regularly hits 35.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 24, 2014

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Where/how is everyone storing their files? Especially those that use something without on board storage like an AppleTV or FireTV to run XBMC.

As mentioned above I connect an external hard drive through our Time Capsule to have access over the network. I know there are better setups, but I already had the Time Capsule so it didn't cost me anything extra.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Falco posted:

Where/how is everyone storing their files? Especially those that use something without on board storage like an AppleTV or FireTV to run XBMC.

As mentioned above I connect an external hard drive through our Time Capsule to have access over the network. I know there are better setups, but I already had the Time Capsule so it didn't cost me anything extra.

I have an Ubuntu server with ZFS for Linux installed on it. All my videos are stored on there and shared via SMB to my XBMC machines.

I keep hoping that they will finish up the XBMC video and library sharing via DLNA and make a headless XBMC server that I can run on that Ubuntu machine. Not really for any reason, though. What I have works fine.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Falco posted:

I've always been a windows guy, so I setup WHS + DrivePool. This lets me just add a new drive into the pool and not really worry bout too much. It's a giant case, but it's relatively quiet and is off in another room most of the time (we're remodeling so right now it's right next to the TV). It runs Sickbeard, SAB, CouchPotato, and a handful of other poo poo. Pretty painless, I very rarely have to log into it, and then only when something doesn't get out of SAB ok.

limpet
Jul 12, 2005

Dapper doggy.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I keep hoping that they will finish up the XBMC video and library sharing via DLNA and make a headless XBMC server that I can run on that Ubuntu machine.

Headless XBMC you say?

https://github.com/wernerb/docker-xbmc-server

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Falco posted:

Unraid. http://lime-technology.com/ I have Sab, Couchpotato, NZBDrone (there are torrent programs as well but I rarely use those) running on it as well, so none of my other computers need to be on for the automated stuff, and I can control those programs using my tablet or phone. I used to run cheap hardware, sempron 140 which worked fine but upgraded to an i3 when I had extra parts from an upgrade to another.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 25, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Falco posted:

WS2012R2 (msdn licence) serving up files from a two way mirror windows storage pool (kind of like RAID 1) in a 4U rackmount in the closet under the stairs, and then gig-E wired to the desktop and 802.11-n to the FireTV/XBMC 10.2. The server is a combo MS Hyper-V VM lab/file server/ongoing project

Here is the network attached storage thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 25, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm having a bit of trouble setting up a shared library with my pc and my android tablet.

I've setup a Mysql xml export for share on the pc, but in the import library in XBMC i can only access the root of either the device, ie: I can't find it over the network.
I also created the advanced setting.xml and added it the userdata folders on both devices.

Frustrating

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 25, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rocksicles posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble setting up a shared library with my pc and my android tablet.

I've setup a Mysql xml export for share on the pc, but in the import library in XBMC i can only access the root of either the device, ie: I can't find it over the network.
I also created the advanced setting.xml and added it the userdata folders on both devices.

Frustrating

Maybe try upnp?

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_UPnP

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

It doesn't work with bookmarks and pause points and the like, it does with MySql.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Is there a working weather addon right now?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

The Gunslinger posted:

Is there a working weather addon right now?

Yahoo weather sorta works. In my skin it shows the current weather in the top corner, the weather page however does not work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The yahoo weather plugin works with the stock 10.2 skin as of this afternoon, for me at least

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I have a couple of calibration videos that I don't want scraped. Can I use an NFO file to prevent xbmc from adding the file to the library?

I know I can remove the folder from the sources by setting the content type to None. But I've recently been reinstalling my xbmc a few times, and I'd have to remove these folders every time.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Why keep them with the rest of your videos that you want to be scanned and added to the library? Anything I have that isn't added to the library but I want to be able to watch, I add the folder as a source and set it to none.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

wolfbiker posted:

Why keep them with the rest of your videos that you want to be scanned and added to the library? Anything I have that isn't added to the library but I want to be able to watch, I add the folder as a source and set it to none.

Yes, obviously that's one solution, but I'd prefer to do it with an nfo file if it's possible.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Wait, do calibration videos even scrape?

Also, the very idea of having an nfo implies that it will be scrapped. Why isn't woldbiker's solution appropriate for your use case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

redhalo posted:

Wait, do calibration videos even scrape?

Also, the very idea of having an nfo implies that it will be scrapped. Why isn't woldbiker's solution appropriate for your use case?

I'm guessing that they would probably scrape incorrectly, causing goofy stuff to appear in the library. I'm not sure if you can do it from the nfo file, but maybe the OP doesn't want to change his file structure around to accommodate this one thing. For what it's worth, I have everything "unscrapeable" in it's own tidy folder and it works great. The only stuff that goes into the library folders are "actual" files.