Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Megasabin posted:

I'm borrowing a friend's WiiU just to play this. Ideally do I want him to give me a pro controller to play it with? I know next to nothing about Wii controllers. I just know there is a pro controller out there, and it looks like pretty decent. If he doesn't own a pro controller, is the default controller a decent option?

I've only played about 3 hours now but I've used both the pro controller and the gamepad and for me it's a toss up. The pro controller has much nicer triggers, which is useful because you're going to be dodging a lot, but the Y and B buttons feel sort of awkward, like I have to stretch too far to get to them. On the other side the button placement (for ABXY) on the gamepad is much closer to the edge of the controller and therefore more comfortable, but I really hate the big flat triggers it has.

I wouldn't spend the money on a controller for a console you don't own though. The gamepad is fine, lightweight, comfortable, etc.

This might not be the perfect place for this but I'm probably going to start looking into 3rd party controllers to address the above problems I have with the two Nintendo controllers. Anyone have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can someone explain the math to me on the Tag Co-op Betting and bonuses? Am I playing *against* the other person for the wagered halos? Or is it just a greater bonus for everyone?

I lost a few rounds of the 6, but then still got a huge bonus.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is it just a result of me finally losing my tenuous grip on what remains of my sanity or does Bayo 2 have some sound compression issues on dialogue? Whenever people talk thing sound... Odd.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kewpuh posted:

Why did your Wii U have dust on it

Because I am a terrifyingly unclean person :(

I bought the game on its own this morning, if I want to get the original later do I still have to pay full price?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm starting with Bayo 1. Someone who's already underway in 2 please tell me there are fewer (or preferably no) QTEs that just kill you outright because you weren't psychic enough to know the cutscene required spontaneous participation.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'm starting with Bayo 1. Someone who's already underway in 2 please tell me there are fewer (or preferably no) QTEs that just kill you outright because you weren't psychic enough to know the cutscene required spontaneous participation.

If you really don't want to get taken unawares by those, pause when a cutscene starts. If there's no option to skip it, then there's going to be a QTE.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Suspicious Cook posted:

AFAIK, there are no insta-death QTEs in Bayo 2, just the pummel QTEs.

[e]: One of the notebook scraps is titled "Rules of Nature" :getin:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 24, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What I'm assuming is just the first fight with the masked man is better than the Jeanne fights from 1, holy poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
REMINDER: For any of you UK dudes looking for an excuse to grab a Wii U:

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUHW97-wii-u-basic-console-bayonetta-2-including-bayonetta-1-2-extra

8GB console, Bayo 1/2, Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Wiimote+ for £179.84.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pomp posted:

What I'm assuming is just the first fight with the masked man is better than the Jeanne fights from 1, holy poo poo.

That was loving nuts, I had no idea what was going on the whole time. Game owns.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fedule posted:

Is it just a result of me finally losing my tenuous grip on what remains of my sanity or does Bayo 2 have some sound compression issues on dialogue? Whenever people talk thing sound... Odd.

Okay so, you need to gently caress with the sound settings on your Wii U a bit, because I did not realize until I went to the actual Wii U settings that my sound was on Surround, which fucks with a world of things. Set it to Stereo and you're golden.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Was legit really surprised to find my Gamestop sold out of this. They were probably understocked, but I like to hope that this means the sales are pretty good. :unsmith:

Ended up picking the game up at Best Buy. Can't waiiittt

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Masked Lumen fight is cool but there is way too much poo poo happening.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm sure I saw people saying there was a way to retry Muspelheims as many times as you wanted until you got the right rank. What is it? The only way I've found is to get killed during the fight.

Why is there not a "retry" option in the pause menu in every fight?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Fedule posted:

I'm sure I saw people saying there was a way to retry Muspelheims as many times as you wanted until you got the right rank. What is it? The only way I've found is to get killed during the fight.

Why is there not a "retry" option in the pause menu in every fight?

The way is getting killed during the fight but those deaths don't count against you in the final ranking.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there any place that lists what the various costumes you can buy actually look like? Googling Bayonetta 2 Costumes just brings up page after page of Nintendo costume stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, multiplayer is so goddamn fun even if it can be a bitch to see what is going on sometimes.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The combo counter on the loading screen doesn't go above 99 in Bayonetta 2. Now how am I going to know how many hundreds of times I used PKP and PPKKK?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I got to play a couple hours today and dang it is everything I hoped for.

Plot seems to make sense this time around too(at least so far), so that is a bonus.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So how does Bayo 1 run on the Wii U? Is it the definitive version of the game now or what?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well you can pause and navigate menus without the whole operation grinding to a halt for several seconds so it's miles ahead of the PS3 version.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Skeezy posted:

So how does Bayo 1 run on the Wii U? Is it the definitive version of the game now or what?

From what I've played so far (I think I'm up to chapter 4?), it plays very well for 95% of the time, but I've run into some insane slowdown in a couple places. Like sub-10 FPS, even sub-5. Thankfully, because physics is linked to graphics, it doesn't actually cause a problem. It just means that things happen in slow-mo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've barely started the game and already love it. It's perfectly true to the original while feeling like it improves in every way, and it's beautiful.

Bayonetta needs to stop being a jerk to Enzo, though. And for a brief moment I thought Fimbulventr would be in Canada before the plane flew west.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm loving the boss fights in this game, much more than in Bayo 1.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I'm kind of confused about the controls. Can I do combos at any time (the ones in the loading screen) or do I have to press x + a to start doing them? They seem to work without it, but then what is the point of x + a?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say it kind of bothers me that the Zelda costume appears to be just straight-up mechanically superior since it gives you a free Moons effect without using an accessory slot. I don't mind the cosmetic differences but that's pretty OP considering none of the other costumes (that I've unlocked yet) have that significant an effect.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I love this game, even if it reminds me how bad I am (and was) at Bayonetta. Nothing but golds so far!

Are there any videos on how to get better at the combat?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The only thing I've got against this game so far is them plopping a lovely life or death QTE right at the end of a chapter. There goes a possible platinum because you thought you were watching a cutscene and put the controller down for five seconds. God drat state of console video games circa 2008.

This is Bayo 1 of course, but I played the Bayo 2 demo, I know those shits are still in there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

enojy posted:

The only thing I've got against this game so far is them plopping a lovely life or death QTE right at the end of a chapter. There goes a possible platinum because you thought you were watching a cutscene and put the controller down for five seconds. God drat state of console video games circa 2008.

This is Bayo 1 of course, but I played the Bayo 2 demo, I know those shits are still in there.

It isn't actually. There are barely any QTEs at all and no life and death ones as far as I am.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's talking about Bayo 1, ImpAtom.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I just got hit with one of those at the end of Chapter 2 in Bayo 1. :( I'm happy to hear Bayo 2 doesn't have many, but life or death QTEs kinda suck in general.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

He's talking about Bayo 1, ImpAtom.

I was responding to this part

enojy posted:

Bayo 1 of course, but I played the Bayo 2 demo, I know those shits are still in there.

At least as far as I am there are like no cutscene-QTEs at all. Even in places where you'd really expect them.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Flying Milton posted:

I love this game, even if it reminds me how bad I am (and was) at Bayonetta. Nothing but golds so far!

Are there any videos on how to get better at the combat?

If 2 is anything like 1 or wonderful 101 you need to work on your hearing. Most enemies have a noise they make before attacking.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The "gently caress you" QTEs aren't a big deal. If you fail you start over from the cutscene. They only count for score, and if you're going for Pure Platinum then you already know they're coming and are well prepared.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Luka is amazing in this game. And for people who have no doubt already beaten it, is there a costume where Bayonetta has Luka's hat? Because it looks good on her.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There are some cutscenes in 2 that you can press the dodge button during to start the fight with some witch time. Pretty cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
YO THOSE loving LUMEN SAGE FIGHTS DOG

THEY GET EVEN BETTER DOG

I JUST GOT TO THE THIRD ONE AND I STARTED GOING NUTS THE SECOND I HEARD THE MUSIC

ImpAtom posted:

I was responding to this part

At least as far as I am there are like no cutscene-QTEs at all. Even in places where you'd really expect them.

Ah my mistake then.

notZaar posted:

The "gently caress you" QTEs aren't a big deal. If you fail you start over from the cutscene. They only count for score, and if you're going for Pure Platinum then you already know they're coming and are well prepared.

That doesn't make them not loving obnoxious and bad.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

So is there an option to play Tag Climax with friends? I don't see one but maybe friends appear on the Find Partner list. Anyone know? If not, anyone want to find out with me?

Edit: Just checked with a friend, they show.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 25, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

That doesn't make them not loving obnoxious and bad.

Yeah, B2 lacking them just underlines how kinda crap they are in B1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The second you unlock the chainsaws, put them on your feet. DON'T ASK JUST DO IT!

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 25, 2014

• Locked thread