Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I don't understand why Oliver never thinks it pertinent to (truthfully) tell Thea that he only found out about Malcolm being her father about two weeks before she did. I guess he could rationalize that it would sound like an excuse to her, but surely it's better than the current situation where she probably wrongfully assumes that he had known it and kept it from her for years.

VagueRant posted:

But it still breaks my heart how they hosed up Slade's arc. I know a lot of you guys defend this, but even in his darkest, most evil moment - they go out of their way to point to his Mirakuru induced hallucinations. But where they set up Roy getting redemption and forgiveness for his near-identical Mirakuru evilness, Slade just got coincidental and completely nonsensical motivations. :smith:

In all fairness, Roy had only been exposed to the stuff for a few weeks, and was in a coma for days while he detoxed before we saw him interact with other people again. Slade had been on the stuff for five years and had dedicated his entire life to his delusions and we basically only saw his reaction IMMEDIATELY after being given the antidote, he didn't even have a period to come down from it or anything.
(vague discussion/description of what the character is like in the comics)Slade has plenty of time to "de-crazy" himself now, in the comics he's a mostly even-keeled and pragmatic mercenary who has spent long periods of time as an anti-hero who stars in his own title, so there's plenty of time for him to get himself together. There is basically a 0% chance that this is the last we've seen of Manu Bennett as Slade Wilson so I'm sure there's plenty of time for all that.

Neon Knight posted:

Did they ever describe how Slade was super rich? Maybe Ollie is enjoying the spoils of war for defeating psycho mirakuru mercenary lord Big Boss Wilson.

VagueRant posted:

I imagine super strength and near invulnerability opens a lot of doors for you in the mercenary and/or crime world.

It was easy to miss, but VagueRant is right and this was all actually explained on the show. There was a scene where Oliver was in Waller's control room and she was explaining to him that the mercenary "Deathstroke" had been in operation for several years doing high-risk high-payout mercenary/assassination jobs.

JohnSherman posted:

Ollie is Network Television Poor™

Honestly though, if he's anything like real rich people, he had money stashed away somewhere.

He lost the money that was tied up in the QC business but he didn't lose the money that was in his own personal bank accounts that were in his name, they explicitly stated that last season. So he's no longer a billionaire but still has plenty of money in reserve. Not to mention the fact that Moira died before QC went south and I'd imagine she probably had a pretty substantial life insurance policy.

They already cast a different dude for a Flash movie, time to give it up already.
The sad thing is that the Arrow/Flash TV people have such a sad puppy dog "please pretty please let our universe be a part of the movies!" attitude about the whole thing, when really it should be the opposite quality-wise because their shows are great and the DC movie planning sounds like an awful clusterfuck rush job and the only movie they've released so far was total pretentious painful garbage that was devoid of any hint of fun, entertainment, or emotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't they say that Slade have Isabel completely gently caress over the company when she was running it, and Ollie was not pay attention to it?

My vague recollection was that Ollie gave her voting rights on his stock and Isabel used those votes to issue a billion more shares of stock so the Queens' share of the company was now tiny and worthless. It was really dumb.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

It seems like the show might touch on the long term effects of Mirakuru on Roy considering Thea said he looked run down and Roy mentioned he wasn't sleeping much.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Atrocious Joe posted:

It seems like the show might touch on the long term effects of Mirakuru on Roy considering Thea said he looked run down and Roy mentioned he wasn't sleeping much.

Or maybe because he was going out at night with Ollie all the time doing his sidekick thing.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Azhais posted:

My vague recollection was that Ollie gave her voting rights on his stock and Isabel used those votes to issue a billion more shares of stock so the Queens' share of the company was now tiny and worthless. It was really dumb.

It's one thing to cover for the boss when he steps out, it's another thing to take over as CEO and issue a stock split, which usually has to be approved by the SEC and minority shareholders. And by minority shareholders, we're talking investment banks that handle billions of dollars that handle 401k's, IRA's, and all the other retirement fund investments. They're not going to be happy about allowing company's stock to tank because the CEO felt like it out of spite.

So yeah, it was really dumb.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Roy desperately needs his own plot. At this point he's practically another action figure to use in fight scenes and a bit player in Thea's story.

I admire the show's ability to bumrush through plot points, but I'd love to see how Oliver trained Roy after the mirakuru wore off and they saved the city from Slade. I'd also like to see Roy dealing with the fact he killed a dude, but I'm not sure if the show remembers that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah Roy's the new Laurel.

He's probably got an a Arsenal arc coming up. The whole Sara thing is obviously going to take center stage for a few episodes.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah Roy's the new Laurel.

He's probably got an a Arsenal arc coming up. The whole Sara thing is obviously going to take center stage for a few episodes.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Roy desperately needs his own plot. At this point he's practically another action figure to use in fight scenes and a bit player in Thea's story.

I admire the show's ability to bumrush through plot points, but I'd love to see how Oliver trained Roy after the mirakuru wore off and they saved the city from Slade. I'd also like to see Roy dealing with the fact he killed a dude, but I'm not sure if the show remembers that.

That's not a bad idea. They're juggling so many plots right now that I'm not sure I want Roy to have a full story going, but a single Roy episode, like how this last one was a Thea episode, could definitely be good. Maybe follow that up with a short Arsenal arc much later in the season, when some of the current stories have had time to develop, I could see that working too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Black Dynamite season 2 has started for all you Bronze Tiger fans.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

bbf2 posted:

They already cast a different dude for a Flash movie, time to give it up already.
The sad thing is that the Arrow/Flash TV people have such a sad puppy dog "please pretty please let our universe be a part of the movies!" attitude about the whole thing, when really it should be the opposite quality-wise because their shows are great and the DC movie planning sounds like an awful clusterfuck rush job and the only movie they've released so far was total pretentious painful garbage that was devoid of any hint of fun, entertainment, or emotion.

I have never once gotten the impression that anyone involved in Arrow production wants anything to do with the movies. Just the opposite, actually. It's the legions of tone deaf fans who want to cram everything together. That article to me just reads like the guy saying "fine, okay, it's possible, now will you PLEASE shut up about it?"

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

They seriously need to let it go. None of this "but Crisis can connect the universe guys come on!" :goonsay: crap.

I mean would you want to be connected to the trainwreck that was MoS and Dawn of Justice?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's mainly the fans, we DC fans are a sad, downtrodden breed of nerd. DC love making their fans angry, Marvel are crushing it. They listen to their fans, to a point.

All the lower tier dudes doing their own thing. Movie comes out.... we need Ollie for 3 scenes. Not having Amell fire a Kyptonite arrow at Superman on the big screen would be a slap in the face IMO.

Also MoS was a good Superman movie and i will fight anyone who disagrees. Dawn of Justice hasn't come out yet, quit pre bitching

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rocksicles posted:

Also MoS was a good Superman movie and i will fight anyone who disagrees. Dawn of Justice hasn't come out yet, quit pre bitching

Man of Steel was a good Dragonball z movie. I enjoyed the movie overall but once it actually got down to the big fight it went far too long and was far too 'mindless Michael Bay action-y' for my taste.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Narcissus1916 posted:

I like how we have already written him off after three episodes. He had a pretty big plot last season.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Azhais posted:

I thought she also mentioned loving over the company without him realizing it before she became sole CEO.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I know there weren't many if any in this latest episode, but he Olly Flashbacks this season have been really weak so far. The first two seasons they were my favorite part, although that might be entirely due to Good Guy Slade.

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 24, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That DICK! posted:

I know there weren't many if any in this latest episode, but he Olly Flashbacks this season have been really week so far. The first two seasons they were my favorite part, although that might be entirely due to Good Guy Slade.

What are things we know happen while on the island that we have not seen yet? Him meeting up with the mafia guy again and joining up with them for a bit, and him getting restranded on the island?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Black Dynamite season 2 has started for all you Bronze Tiger fans.

Seriously? Hot drat.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

I called this in the Flash thread.

Also I laughed to much when Laurel got beaten up because I"m a bad person, also because she didn't seem to know that Oliver and Sara (and Diggle and Roy) are trained killers at this point. She isn't.

Also Ted Grant should be immortal just because.

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm not the only one who sees the driver leaning and starting to jump out before Diggle even reaches for him, am I?

Well you can look at it one of two ways, either it was a slightly mistimed stunt that looks kinda awkward or Diggle is the motherfucking Terminator. I prefer the latter.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

That DICK! posted:

I know there weren't many if any in this latest episode, but he Olly Flashbacks this season have been really weak so far. The first two seasons they were my favorite part, although that might be entirely due to Good Guy Slade.

Ok so let's look at this. We're 3 episodes in and there weren't any in episode 3.

The first episode had him running through Hong Kong and getting tortured by Amanda Waller.

The second episode had him being forced to use a sniper rifle to kill Tommy. This, obviously, brought Tommy back for an episode.

It's just you. Both of those flashbacks were awesome.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Roy was fairly underwritten in the latter part of season 2. Remember him waking up and just frankensteining around for forty minutes? Him waking up in the finale and being able to hold his own (almost entirely untrained, since Ollie only gave him training when he was Mirakuru'd) in the goddamn melee against Deathstroke's army is rushed and unbelievable.

Roy's story got shunted aside for large chunks of season 2, something the writers have admitted in several interviews. They had a TON of story to tell last year, and I'm just hoping Roy doesn't draw the short straw again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Narcissus1916 posted:

being able to hold his own (almost entirely untrained, since Ollie only gave him training when he was Mirakuru'd) in the goddamn melee against Deathstroke's army is rushed and unbelievable.

He was super strong/resilient so that helped balance the equation. But also he was probably just parkouring them all to death, rather than karateing them.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

sbaldrick posted:

Also I laughed to much when Laurel got beaten up because I"m a bad person, also because she didn't seem to know that Oliver and Sara (and Diggle and Roy) are trained killers at this point. She isn't.

The only problem I have with this bit of the episode, is in the past two seasons Laurel was shown to be a relatively competent fighter. Y'know, for someone who didn't spend 5 years on a Hell Island or stuck with a bunch of Assassins.

Also, I laughed as well, so at least you won't be the only one in hell for it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

He was super strong/resilient so that helped balance the equation. But also he was probably just parkouring them all to death, rather than karateing them.

No, he was cured by then. He started sniping dudes when he had never been shown to make a successful shot on screen and had just been in a coma for like five episodes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I won't be satisfied with this season until Oliver sits down with an actual attorney and is like " Yeah.. so all this stuff with the business etc.. that was all corporate sabotage".

Then the lawyer goes to a courthouse and is like " You're honor, look at this poo poo". Then you know the company is dissolved by the courts because seriously it's technology destroyed a city and killed a few thousand people.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

greatn posted:

No, he was cured by then. He started sniping dudes when he had never been shown to make a successful shot on screen and had just been in a coma for like five episodes.

No, you see, when Oliver completed the Mirakuru Cure side quest, if leveled Roy up and he put all his character points into Archery. A perfectly reasonable, real world explanation.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

I thought he still had leftover strength or something? I don't really know, Roy feels very extraneous.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gotta keep him around since he and Felicity are an item IRL.

I do like Roy though.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

immoral_ posted:

The only problem I have with this bit of the episode, is in the past two seasons Laurel was shown to be a relatively competent fighter. Y'know, for someone who didn't spend 5 years on a Hell Island or stuck with a bunch of Assassins.

Also, I laughed as well, so at least you won't be the only one in hell for it.

She relatively competent, but she clearly wasn't competent enough to know if your blitz attacking someone twice your size go for the crippling blow right away. She's also fight along side Olli who can cover her mistakes.

Roy has also barely shot people with Arrows so far (he did get a bit of training before going crazy) and has mostly been hand to hand fighting them.

Oliver out and out killed like 5 guys this episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Canary's a much better fighter than Green Arrow in the comics, but I don't think they'll be going that way here.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

Black Canary's a much better fighter than Green Arrow in the comics, but I don't think they'll be going that way here.

Sarah's jacket will be bombarded with gamma rays during the Flash Crossover; the radiation awakens the molecular memory of Sarah so whenever Laurel wears it she'll have all the skills of her sister, plus her own. it's like getting two scoops of ice cream instead of just one on your ice cream cone.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
As an archer, it's not that hard to shoot a bow. It takes like a day to learn how to shoot accurately to 20 yards. Past that, it gets more difficult because of wind and gravity but I think Ollie is a good enough archer that he could teach Roy the basics pretty quickly.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I wish police officers would stop putting their guns right up next to bad guys heads. If they stood 10 feet away there's a much smaller chance that super ninja moves could be used to disarm them.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

greatn posted:

I do like Roy though.

Since when was this ever a reason to keep an actor in a TV series? They could have written him out at the end of the second season under the pretense of "dude bailed to Bludhaven, oh well."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Since when was this ever a reason to keep an actor in a TV series? They could have written him out at the end of the second season under the pretense of "dude bailed to Bludhaven, oh well."

And say 'oh, btw dont take another job in case we need u l8r d00d, thx'? If you fire a guy, he's gonna get another part, and if you decide you have an idea for him later, whoops, he's on the new Glee or whatever.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Scyantific posted:

They kept him because he's a pretty decent actor (he'll always be Jackson to me) and because they have plans for him. Also it's the CW and they need to have all their ages/races covered with shirtless males.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.

greatn posted:

I do like Roy though.

They're not. Colton Haynes is gay.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

DapperDinosaur posted:

No, they are. He's available for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

DapperDinosaur posted:

Colton Haynes is bisexual, bro

• Locked thread