Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
my dad confirmed for genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

:woop:

That was a fantastic write up.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Well done, Slade Gauntlets! I had faith that you could do it :)

As for builds, Altoid was based around affordability, to get through the first round. He concentrated on dodging and fighting, with some lesser skill in maces, armor, shield use, and other odds and sods I could pick up for 5 spare points. Armor was mid-range full coverage, with a multi-layer torso. Weapon was a silver mace throughout, and I picked up a shield later. I should have gone for twin picks instead...

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Well played to All Slade Gauntlets.

Looking over this, I'm not sure armor was worth all the points I put into it (or even any of them, really.) Just don't have the numbers to make defense worth it towards the end of a tournament. Lessons for next time!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
This was an amazing writeup. Tonker is a hilarious word, and I wish I was creative now.

Bravo on the writeup, hahaha you suck to our enemies, and thanks to my dad for the multi-fight plan. He was always looking at what equipment we could buy next bunch of points and the following bunch of points.

Edit: one thing we did is not put any points into armor use. We used armor but didn't care about the skill associated with it.

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
That was a great writeup, even though it was so hard to read. :(

I think I largely overestimated the value of lesser armour against adamantite weapons, especially in the later rounds. I think I might have been better off selling it all for points in dodging and sword use, and just considered the points in Armour a necessary loss.

I was trying to build a decent tank, just a guy in full armour that can just outlast an opponent or become a punching bag for the rest of the team. I would've been better off just picking a yeti if I wanted to do that, looks like. My build was full iron armour and a longsword, with skills in armour, fighting and sword use. In the second round I upgraded it all to steel, with some skill upgrades in the previous, as well as dodging. Then I got an adamantite longsword and gauntlets, along with more skill upgrades.

I'm not going to lie, I spent a lot of the time in that last round hoping for a kickass martial trance to turn it all around.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
drat, good fight. It seems like Leonard and Urist's armor couldn't compete with all the adamantine running around.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yeah, I don't think they went wrong with the tank build, just didn't have the points at the end to keep up with their opponents' weapons. The gremlins on the other hand were all able to invest in adamantine mail shirts and it REALLY paid off.

Out of interest Segway, why was it hard to read? Writing things so that people can understand them is pretty much my day job, so I'm always interested in feedback!

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Sorry, I forgot to mention: it was a totally awesome writeup!

unwantedplatypus posted:

drat, good fight. It seems like Leonard and Urist's armor couldn't compete with all the adamantine running around.

Yeah, it just seems like the point investment doesn't measure up, at least at dwarf-size. I was pretty much going for the same thing as Segway Rave (plus blocking and a shield), but it seems like armor (and the skill) is a waste past the group stages. It also seems like it would work better with a strangler, because in Urist's case he could have more than one shield. v:shobon:v

But it seems like dodging + weapon skill is the way to go, with something sharp.

Segway Rave posted:

I'm not going to lie, I spent a lot of the time in that last round hoping for a kickass martial trance to turn it all around.

Me too. :(

e: ^^ I think Segway means it was super suspenseful, in a good way. It certainly kept me on the edge of my seat. ^^

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Maugrim posted:

Out of interest Segway, why was it hard to read? Writing things so that people can understand them is pretty much my day job, so I'm always interested in feedback!

His team lost or his betting team lost.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zwingley posted:

Yeah, it just seems like the point investment doesn't measure up, at least at dwarf-size. I was pretty much going for the same thing as Segway Rave (plus blocking and a shield), but it seems like armor (and the skill) is a waste past the group stages. It also seems like it would work better with a strangler, because in Urist's case he could have more than one shield. v:shobon:v

But it seems like dodging + weapon skill is the way to go, with something sharp.

Check out our team build on the arena website (it's available to everyone now). It might surprise you.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

my dad posted:

Check out our team build on the arena website (it's available to everyone now). It might surprise you.

About that. I looked after I posted and confirmed my suspicions. :v:

e: Honestly I don't even know if blunt weapons can ever get to the crushing point for rigid adamantine armor. Maybe if I had a slade warhammer at the end.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Yeah both of these things happened to me.

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 24, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Haha, four out of five of the top betters are on Slade All Day. I wonder what we would have had if we didn't lose that match.

Congrats Mlle!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

Derp, of course, never mind.

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone - the whole thing took a loving age.

I guess it's now open season on discussion of what tweaks to make for the next tournament? Although I think there's already some consensus on that, at least among the commissioners.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think you guys already saw my suggestions to Jazz, but I might as well show them to the thread:

http://pastebin.com/Da8AYLnE

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

my dad posted:

I think you guys already saw my suggestions to Jazz, but I might as well show them to the thread:

For what it is worth our winning team Meat and 2 Veg used shields. Not that I was aware of Bonus Parry Power for dual-wielding.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Awh, and I was this close to being able to make a team out of my champions.

Well played, guys. Was really hoping that adamantine mail wasn't going to be that effective against picks.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Wow, I somehow made it back into the top 15 betting ranks with that last match, after losing all my money in the prelims.

Maugrim posted:

I guess it's now open season on discussion of what tweaks to make for the next tournament? Although I think there's already some consensus on that, at least among the commissioners.

I'd suggest standardizing creature sizes and attribute values in the raws. Losing a fight because your dwarf was randomly spawned in the smallest size category and suddenly can't wield his battleaxe in one hand without massive penalties isn't very fair.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Whoo boy, gently caress the haters, every last one of you. :v:

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
drat you, Mlle, if it weren't for you having bet $14 more dollars than me, I'd be on top of the world! And that's after losing all my money.

In other news, I've decided to play an Archer Yeti in the next tournament. I'm so sorry future teammates.

Edit: As for changes, I'd agree to normalized sizes, and a decrease to the point penalty for larger races. Pretty clear that size isn't as big a factor as it was in the earlier versions. Plus, giving trolls and yeti the option to buy more than one item a round will give some more variety to their builds.

Anchors fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 25, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Mygna posted:

Wow, I somehow made it back into the top 15 betting ranks with that last match, after losing all my money in the prelims.

I'd suggest standardizing creature sizes and attribute values in the raws. Losing a fight because your dwarf was randomly spawned in the smallest size category and suddenly can't wield his battleaxe in one hand without massive penalties isn't very fair.

Could we have size and attributes be purchasable, like skills and equipment?

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun

Maugrim posted:

Yeah, I don't think they went wrong with the tank build, just didn't have the points at the end to keep up with their opponents' weapons. The gremlins on the other hand were all able to invest in adamantine mail shirts and it REALLY paid off.

Just wanted to confirm it was just painful to read about us getting crushed, I loved the actual writeup.

Zaltys
Jun 24, 2008
Mine was built around survival.
Stinky did well against my own team mates in test battles, but in retrospect, it was a bad build.

Sure, she was the last one standing in both of the matches that we lost. But defense without offense is pointless.

Zaltys fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 25, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Zaltys posted:

Mine was built around survival.
Stinky did well against my own team mates in test battles, but in retrospect, it was a bad build.

Sure, she was the last one standing in both of the matches that we lost. But defense without offense is pointless.

Not entirely, if you can keep more than one member of their team busy ineffectually fighting you, you've effectively given your team mates a numerical advantage. Look how many fights were lost because an important fighter spent a billion years pounding on an unconscious yeti while their team got slaughtered

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Finally reading the combat log... Fed after midnight and gnome chance both swatted at each other and had attacks 'easily deflected' by the other. Impressive for two dudes with grand master weapon skill...

I had the lowest weapon skill with Gretchen on my team at 13... One shy of grand master.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Betting against the probability of a trance paid off! Trances seem much, much rarer than older DF versions now, I think having two in a single round really skewed the betting towards dwarf-bearing teams.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Decoy Badger posted:

Betting against the probability of a trance paid off! Trances seem much, much rarer than older DF versions now, I think having two in a single round really skewed the betting towards dwarf-bearing teams.

I suspect, and this is just a theory, we see less trances towards the end of the tournament, as more skilled fighters kill each other much faster. I could be completely wrong though!

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

Haha, four out of five of the top betters are on Slade All Day. I wonder what we would have had if we didn't lose that match.

Congrats Mlle!
Oh man, I completely forgot about the bets. ☼Adamantine Grills☼ for everyone!
how did that happen, I expected to do so horribly in this whole thing

my dad posted:

I'm glad to see chitin mentioned here.

LSD at the gangbang fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 25, 2014

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Picks in this tournament were insane. Either something needs to be done to them to reduce their sever chance, they should be made way more expensive, or they should be removed (I'd vastly prefer option 1).

I fully support the "Make Yeti's not useless" initiative.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

my dad posted:

Also, making it possible to armor a molemarian's tail would be nice.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I've done some preliminary changes to point awards and costs, much of which is based on my dad's suggestions, which you can see here:

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_races.php?1

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_items.php?1

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_skills.php?1

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_item_costs_by_race.php?1

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_skills_by_race.php?1

To summarize: points awarded are more normalized (gremlins get about 2x what a yeti gets rather than 3x), weapons are a whole lot more expensive, bow/crossbow/archery skills are much cheaper, shield skills are cheaper, striking penalties and armor cost penalties for large races have been massively reduced, and there is now a small point bonus per round for participating (i.e. just visiting the website once each round while logged in).

There will be some mods to the base game that will be changed, but I'm waiting for 40.14 (which is supposed to be out tomorrow) before starting on that.

I don't know if it's possible to mod in armor for a molemarian's tail.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 25, 2014

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It's certainly possible to mod out their tail, at least. So there's options.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I've done some preliminary changes to point awards and costs, much of which is based on my dad's suggestions, which you can see here:

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_races.php?1

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_items.php?1

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_skills.php?1

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_item_costs_by_race.php?1

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_skills_by_race.php?1

To summarize: points awarded are more normalized (gremlins get about 2x what a yeti gets rather than 3x), weapons are a whole lot more expensive, bow/crossbow/archery skills are much cheaper, shield skills are cheaper, striking penalties and armor cost penalties for large races have been massively reduced, and there is now a small point bonus per round for participating (i.e. just visiting the website once each round while logged in).

There will be some mods to the base game that will be changed, but I'm waiting for 40.14 (which is supposed to be out tomorrow) before starting on that.

Sounds good. I guess the size standardisation will be part of the mods too.

I have a feeling that the continual "x stands up" one frame after getting bowled over has to be a bug, and may be a major reason behind the current relative ineffectiveness of large fighters.

I want to do some testing and raw digging of my own, and while I don't think we need another test tournament I do think that thorough general testing of the proposed final mods should be done, so we'll want a delay of reasonable length to make sure everyone's satisfied before the main tourney begins. In particular, my dad was saying he had some game-breaking build in mind which I'm hoping we can nerf before we start a months-long megatournament :P

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
40.14 has been released, so I'll get to work modding it with the new changes for testing.

We'll probably start a new thread after this for the next tournament, once we're done testing things.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I still kind of can't believe that happened. It just doesn't make any sense. I mean, what about my curse?

Then I realize it's just a test tournament, so it doesn't REALLY count. :negative:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
it's still real to me dammit

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
As Supreme Emperor Bad Munki sits upon his skull throne, sharpening his Hanzo adamantine katana, he briefly contemplates a life where he wasn't a champion of the arena. He heard tales that lesser gladiators weren't even awarded a single concubine! He shuddered at the thought, having never had less than three by his side. Bad Munki put the silly thought aside, he would need his focus for the nightly Yeti tossing competition after all.

*Camera pans out to a small, sickly looking Kobald holding a snowglobe with a world-weary Doctor and matronly Kobald standing over him.*

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Bad Munki, he just hasn't shown any improvement since the accident. Kobalds just aren't meant wield slade gauntlets."

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Anchors posted:

As Supreme Emperor Bad Munki sits upon his skull throne, sharpening his Hanzo adamantine katana, he briefly contemplates a life where he wasn't a champion of the arena. He heard tales that lesser gladiators weren't even awarded a single concubine! He shuddered at the thought, having never had less than three by his side. Bad Munki put the silly thought aside, he would need his focus for the nightly Yeti tossing competition after all.

*Camera pans out to a small, sickly looking Kobald holding a snowglobe with a world-weary Doctor and matronly Kobald standing over him.*

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Bad Munki, he just hasn't shown any improvement since the accident. Kobalds just aren't meant wield slade gauntlets."

St. Elsedwarf

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anchors posted:

This feels right. Thank you, you've put my mind at ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
It looks like there are some significant changes to DF that will affect the arena in the upcoming 40.15 release (even more bleeding! you can smash someone's neck into a pulp with a mace or warhammer and now it might actually cause paralysis and/or asphyxiation and/or decapitation like it should! etc.), so we'll be using that for the upcoming official tournament instead of 40.14.

And let me assure you this is not in any way an excuse for me not having started on modding the new version yet. I just had a feeling, knowing how Toady's development cycle works, that we should probably wait a few more days just to see what he's working on. And I happened to be right. :colbert:

• Locked thread