Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Kylra posted:

What are you talking about? Have you even seen how many trade convoys there are? Excitement.

I forgot to mention the orbital objects. Probably because I didn't really use any my first game.

How the gently caress did you not just b line it to space sat cannon? Also the unit buff one for fighting early game Worms and Sea Dragons was useful. Oh yeah and the clear miasma one was a must have for my affinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
1UPT is probably going to be a permanent fixture of Civ games from now on, so I would've liked it if they could at least given the maps more hexes to reduce the horrid unit management problems.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
*sends out trade convoy*

*Convoy immediately gets eaten by siege worms*

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Drinkfist posted:

How the gently caress did you not just b line it to space sat cannon? Also the unit buff one for fighting early game Worms and Sea Dragons was useful. Oh yeah and the clear miasma one was a must have for my affinity.
Because I didn't see it until too late and by that point I just didn't feel like screwing with orbital junk. I just clicked buttons for my first game. I lost something like 5 colonists and 4 workers to bugs. That's how much attention I was paying.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

1UPT is probably going to be a permanent fixture of Civ games from now on, so I would've liked it if they could at least given the maps more hexes to reduce the horrid unit management problems.
Maybe in Civ6.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

*sends out trade convoy*

Build a sonic fence and pick the option that makes your trade convoys immune to bugs. Best. Investment. Ever.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

^^^ gently caress

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I think if anything the loving alien siege worm should take up more tiles seeing as it is so loving huge it kills aircraft but other than that I am fine with the 1 unit per tile thing.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

*sends out trade convoy*

You can get a quest when you build your first anti alien sonic fence to upgrade it. You get a choice of either a larger radius around your city or put them on your trade convoys and it repels the aliens. That quest system is good stuff in giving you solutions to the old CIV5 problems.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Kylra posted:

Because I didn't see it until too late and by that point I just didn't feel like screwing with orbital junk. I just clicked buttons for my first game. I lost something like 5 colonists and 4 workers to bugs. That's how much attention I was paying.

I got real lucky and had my explorers turn up a friendly alien from the alien skeleton ruin and that poo poo just went to town in a choke point that had miasma. Oh yeah to anyone wondering the miasma heals aliens and injures humans (Unless you tech into something).

The way the aliens work is that if you approach a alien nest (Barbarian camp) they get pissed and swarm your rear end but if you leave them alone without attacking them they become nutral and you just work around them.Some aliens only attack military units if they are nutral. Everyone's first playthough is gonna treat them like starship troopers though and think they are always hostile.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

You can get a quest when you build your first anti alien sonic fence to upgrade it. You get a choice of either a larger radius around your city or put them on your trade convoys and it repels the aliens. That quest system is good stuff in giving you solutions to the old CIV5 problems.

Okay that is cool and helpful.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Drinkfist posted:

The way the aliens work is that if you approach a alien nest (Barbarian camp) they get pissed and swarm your rear end but if you leave them alone without attacking them they become nutral and you just work around them.Some aliens only attack military units if they are nutral. Everyone's first playthough is gonna treat them like starship troopers though and think they are always hostile.
I started with so many bugs that I had trouble settling the areas I wanted, and any non-worker or explorer units I made and move out of the city died instantly from being mobbed by 3-6 of them. After I lost 3 soldiers I just said "gently caress it, they'll be my personal guard unit and kill any hostile ai" and went about just making workers and improving my cities until halfway through the game.

Also I think they killed off 3-4 stations just in my vicinity.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kylra posted:

Happiness is replaced by Health, and is a lot less dramatic in effect. You can go up to -20 with a penalty of -10% science, production and culture. Even -20 and beyond is just -50% growth and your new settlements take twice as long to turn into usable cities. It's not too hard to keep positive past the early game, and if you do get enough positive you get the same bonuses to the same things basically. By the end of my first game I had something like +50 health and 8 cities with around 20 pop each. There didn't seem to be a per city health penalty, only population. Overall I like BE's health better than Civ5's happiness so far.

Lmfao

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The health system is sick!

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Kylra posted:

I started with so many bugs that I had trouble settling the areas I wanted, and any non-worker or explorer units I made and move out of the city died instantly from being mobbed by 3-6 of them. After I lost 3 soldiers I just said "gently caress it, they'll be my personal guard unit and kill any hostile ai" and went about just making workers and improving my cities until halfway through the game.

Also I think they killed off 3-4 stations just in my vicinity.

I think the key to the game is bum rishing affinity points on the tech tree and getting your units upgraded quickly. There is none of that pay to upgrade poo poo and the starting base units are literal dogshit against the alien menace. That combat culture path had a nice science from kills node that was really good when I formed up Ricos Roughnecks with space marines(I am serious the battlesuits are loving unstoppable).

They do give you enough tools in the toolbox to handle it diffirent ways which I appriciate.
- Build fences and hide/ignore them.
- Become them with harmony affinity.
- Rush Affinity Points and lay waste with upgraded units.
- Launch miasma clearer or manually clear tech and chip away at them. With no miasma they cant heal.
- Culture up Combat tree and manage them with the basic units.

So yeah after a few playthoughs and you know how the system works they are manageable. If you play it like CIV5 Barbarians you are just gonna have a bad time.

I also like how the unit exp levels are just a flat 1 choice for rank up or heal. None of that rough and flat level up bonus poo poo.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I did harmony and was disappointed I could not make them all my alien buddies to go on great adventures with. :(

I am glad the unit level up stuff was all moved into the affinity perk system though, and all that is left on unit level up is straight up +% strength bonuses.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Kylra posted:

Happiness is replaced by Health, and is a lot less dramatic in effect. You can go up to -20 with a penalty of -10% science, production and culture. Even -20 and beyond is just -50% growth and your new settlements take twice as long to turn into usable cities. It's not too hard to keep positive past the early game, and if you do get enough positive you get the same bonuses to the same things basically. By the end of my first game I had something like +50 health and 8 cities with around 20 pop each. There didn't seem to be a per city health penalty, only population. Overall I like BE's health better than Civ5's happiness so far.

You forgot to mention the really loving important part of going past -10 Health. Your intrigue starts to rise in your cities allowing spies to do more dangerous poo poo like cause a worm attack or set off dirty bombs.

The Health system is linked with the espionge system. Each cities intrigue rises under certain conditions with -10 Health being one of them. The more intrigue the city has the more likely your are gonna get spies.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Yeah, I guess. I think you can just build that thing that caps it at 3 though and then you can't get the really nasty effects from level 4/5 intrigue?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Kylra posted:

Yeah, I guess. I think you can just build that thing that caps it at 3 though and then you can't get the really nasty effects from level 4/5 intrigue?

That thing is kinda mid-late game and I think you can still slam it past 3 in some conditions. Ill have to gently caress with it more to know but I doubt there is just a 1 structure and you are totally safe solution.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Holosuite satellites everywhere.

You need 11 affinity for the Dirty Bomb level stuff, so that's mid-late game too.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I'm watching someone stream this and it is ridiculously ugly.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
remember that lovely smac clone that came out a few years back? this is far superior in gameplay but somehow looks worse and is even more soulless

did they accidentally release an internal alpha with all the interesting faction/tech stuff stripped out

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

is staring at a relatively dark/slightly ugly map for hours at a time as depressing as I imagine it to be?

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I change my opinion, this game is good if you liked civ 5. It's not 60 dollars good though, imo
yeah i enjoyed civ 5 but i didn't buy a single piece of it at full price

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Drinkfist posted:

I never played this Alpha Centari game

Alpha Centauri is the best single game in the Civ series.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
alpha centauri got me through a summer where I could only use a bad dell laptop, and i'm happy it exists

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

lesbian baphomet posted:

Alpha Centauri is the best single game in the Civ series.

wrong

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
uh colonization anyone

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kylra posted:

One of the AI players in my game wiped out another AI and nearly a second. There was about to be a world war with everyone denouncing everyone else, but then everyone suddenly got into a race for their affinity specific victory conditions at the same time and the game ended before the apocalypse.

"no my anecdotal evidence is more powerful than your anecdotal evidence"

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

lmao do you AUs ever really pay that much for a videogame? come on.

They have a high minimum wage so game companies can extort them.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Drinkfist posted:

I got real lucky and had my explorers turn up a friendly alien from the alien skeleton ruin and that poo poo just went to town in a choke point that had miasma. Oh yeah to anyone wondering the miasma heals aliens and injures humans (Unless you tech into something).

Lmfao I bet you kiss aliens on the lips. Not me though. Earth is #1.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Pewdiepie posted:

Lmfao I bet you kiss aliens on the lips. Not me though. Earth is #1.

I do

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

I'm watching someone stream this and it is ridiculously ugly.

Try turning the monitor on.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

They have a high minimum wage so game companies can extort them.

yeah but similar stuff can be said about EU but I still make sure to pay cheapo US dollar prices when the price difference is notable. only time I don't is on region locked poo poo like 3DS, on the PS3/Vita for example I use the US store without any difficulty

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pewdiepie posted:

Lmfao

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

the tech web is daunting

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Pewdiepie posted:

Lol

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I blew up a settlement in the post game out of sheer spite. My explorer than said "HEY I FOUND A DERELICT SETTLEMENT", pointing directly at the freshly smoking carcass.

e:

klapman fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 25, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lmao.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pewdiepie posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Is this game playable yet.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

PleasingFungus posted:

Is this game playable yet.

This game will be playable in 4 hours and 20 minutes.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

klapman posted:

I blew up a settlement in the post game out of sheer spite. My explorer than said "HEY I FOUND A DERELICT SETTLEMENT", pointing directly at the freshly smoking carcass.

e:

the mistake was being your neighbor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

"no my anecdotal evidence is more powerful than your anecdotal evidence"
Objective game reviews only itt

• Locked thread