Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's a radical thought - if you want this thread to be more positive and constructive, how about you start posting more positively and constructively, instead of negatively obsessing over how the other webcomics thread is too negative and obsessive.

Edit: Here's a good start:

qntm posted:

I have been enjoying Let's Speak English which is a link I think I found in this thread, but it's still a fun comic so I'm bringing it up again. Very cute and amusing observational humour. And also with very neat and expressive artwork. The more I study the artwork the more impressed I am by how simple and effective it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

scalded schlong posted:

Oglaf is amazing. So is Paranatural, although for entirely different reasons. I don't much like Cucumber Quest, though. But that's cool, I'll just think it's bad, and others will think it's good.

Yeah, Cucumber Quest is a lot of fun, but I can see how it might not be everyone's cup of tea. The back story is really neat and I like knowing not what to make of it.

What I think is criminal is you guys in here don't talk more about Latchkey Kingdom, I checked and it only gets mentioned a few times a year.

The other thread digs it and someone even got an avatar out of it! The current story, Princess, is just wrapping up, and the art on it is very solid. The artist has a real grasp of sequential art. Click here for an example, (very mild spoilers).

Something about how the Princess sighs and talks to the other two characters here really transmits her personality, as well as brings the page to life.

The fact that it's loose parody on old school Legend of Zelda is a bonus.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

I still unironically love Moon Over June. :)

e: AoA you're thinking of Kurnugia.
Also, I'm still just as unsettled by someone like Humon fetishizing gay men as I have been since I met my first yaoi fangirl so long ago.

Elissia fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 24, 2014

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
I really enjoy It Hurts, it doesn't have the best art or writing but it's just so earnest it always puts a smile on my face.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I also like Otus Opus despite it being a genuinely bad piece of storytelling - it's astoundingly slow and poorly paced, but it's full of nice owls, the onomatopoeia is surprisingly vivid, it's got some really funny transphobic remarks, and some really strange wildlife.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Elissia posted:

I still unironically love Moon Over June. :)

e: AoA you're thinking of Kurnugia.
Also, I'm still just as unsettled by someone like Humon fetishizing gay men as I have been since I met my first yaoi fangirl so long ago.

Ooooh my bad, sorry about that dude.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

qntm posted:

I have been enjoying Let's Speak English which is a link I think I found in this thread, but it's still a fun comic so I'm bringing it up again. Very cute and amusing observational humour. And also with very neat and expressive artwork. The more I study the artwork the more impressed I am by how simple and effective it is.

Ooh, I didn't know that had its own website now. One more for my bookmarks.

In the interest of content, I can never gauge how popular Saturday Morning Breakfast Ceral is because no one ever talks about it. The way I see it is it's everything xkcd was seen to be back in its heyday.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Afraid of Audio posted:

I really enjoy It Hurts, it doesn't have the best art or writing but it's just so earnest it always puts a smile on my face.

Yeah, I made a thread for it elsewhere in BSS. Linking it here to the OP because hopping right to the main page will spoil some of the fun. Make sure if any of you read it, read the first 100 pages before passing judgement.

It's a silly comic, and might not be for everyone, but it's a real gem.

scalded schlong posted:

I also like Otus Opus despite it being a genuinely bad piece of storytelling - it's astoundingly slow and poorly paced, but it's full of nice owls, the onomatopoeia is surprisingly vivid, it's got some really funny transphobic remarks, and some really strange wildlife.

Ahaha, jerk. No transphobia in Otus Opus, just pure, clean, uncut lines of Owls.

Eyebrowl is the best Owl.

The plot is pretty simple - one woman's quest to draw all the owls. It's a little plodding and a little slow to update sometimes, but it's pretty and it delivers both magical varieties of Owls and tiny flying manta-rays.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tenebrais posted:

In the interest of content, I can never gauge how popular Saturday Morning Breakfast Ceral is because no one ever talks about it. The way I see it is it's everything xkcd was seen to be back in its heyday.

SMBC is my favorite success story because a lot of the early comics are kind of mean and lovely, and he tried to weed that out and go for positive humor when he can. It's hit and miss, but it updates every day, so a miss is hardly a big issue.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I just wish he'd go for super-long comics less often. I mean sometimes they're good but I feel like he makes better jokes when he figures out how to simplify them down to one or two panels.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

That is a lot of Owl.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It is not, however, enough Owl.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
There is never enough owl.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pretty excited for the return of giant mobster birds to Poppy O'Possum. :toot:

Pick posted:

SMBC is my favorite success story because a lot of the early comics are kind of mean and lovely, and he tried to weed that out and go for positive humor when he can. It's hit and miss, but it updates every day, so a miss is hardly a big issue.

Today's is pretty good, and indicative of the overall direction of the last couple years (ie gleeful nihilism)

His dick/butt/graph jokes are pretty on-point for the most part too.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Mafiosa posted:

The fact that both of these threads now have to coexist with each other fully and have overlap with posters ties them together, whether you want them to or not. This thread will never be constructive or get more than a post a day as long as people are too nervous to admit to liking something or trying to generate discussion on it lest their lose their goon card.

Mafiosa, what are some webcomics you can recommend? Besides (or including) your own, of course.

E: Not trying to be a dick here, I'm genuinely interested

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

reignonyourparade posted:

I just wish he'd go for super-long comics less often. I mean sometimes they're good but I feel like he makes better jokes when he figures out how to simplify them down to one or two panels.

It can be hit or miss, but I like it a poo poo ton better than xkcd. It is a lot more relate-able, although even xkcd will have a comic I enjoy now and then.

Edit Also hell yes, Poppy O'Possum rules the schools. I like the one armed guy who is a strumming Spanish guitar personified.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pick posted:

Here's a question. Are daily updates even worth it? Over the years humour in a geeky-sciencey comic is bound to start feeling same-ish at some point and I think SMBC has probably lived well beyond its prime. I am not saying the author should kill the comic or drastically change its direction, but why set a schedule that practically forces you to make a decent amount of your comics follow two basic premises half of the time? The comics where something innocent/mundane is explained in scientific/philosophical terms to make it sound vile/exciting are the worst offenders, not even going into anything that deals with religion. The only thing lazier in my opinion is graph jokes, but XKCD is much worse in this respect.

The thing I always thought was neat in SMBC is how race/gender/culture of characters are often picked at random. Even for superhero gags it switches between Wonder Woman and Batman.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
E: Wrong webcomics thread!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Paladinus posted:

Here's a question. Are daily updates even worth it? Over the years humour in a geeky-sciencey comic is bound to start feeling same-ish at some point and I think SMBC has probably lived well beyond its prime. I am not saying the author should kill the comic or drastically change its direction, but why set a schedule that practically forces you to make a decent amount of your comics follow two basic premises half of the time? The comics where something innocent/mundane is explained in scientific/philosophical terms to make it sound vile/exciting are the worst offenders, not even going into anything that deals with religion. The only thing lazier in my opinion is graph jokes, but XKCD is much worse in this respect.

The thing I always thought was neat in SMBC is how race/gender/culture of characters are often picked at random. Even for superhero gags it switches between Wonder Woman and Batman.

Like Pick said, rapid updates take the sting out of failed jokes, and also keep people checking in regularly. You see the same strategy in stand-up sometimes (eg Russell Howard, who I don't like but that's neither here nor there)

Surprisingly few smbc strips are outright bad in my opinion, though plenty are mediocre. It makes me laugh often enough though, so I'd tend to say his strategy works, for him at least.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 25, 2014

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Crossposting myself coz I guess this is the more appropriate thread for it. Late to the game discovering dril pencils but drat do I love it

Saint Sputnik posted:

This is sort of comics related and it makes me laugh so here you go. I found someone who combined Zen Pencils panels with @dril tweets and the result is magical. Here are a couple examples

More here and here

So I felt inspired to make some, here and here.

Examples

Made a few more since then too

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pick posted:

I hear you, but I have always liked this one.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Pretty excited for the return of giant mobster birds to Poppy O'Possum. :toot:

Poppy O'Possum is sooo good, I'm glad Morbi went back to colour updates because they're wonderful.

Seconding that Latchkey Kingdom is also really great. All of the video game references and parodies are so well executed, and the art is fantastic.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What does this thread do that cannot done better on tumblr.

They already answered my Deforge question and pointed me to several other comics of great worth.

Yo I'd be interested in hearing what these are.

Edit: I had linked this list of Deforge comics, although I don't know which are the newer comics. Some are listed as ongoing.

Ruptured Yakety Sax fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 25, 2014

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Literally Kermit posted:

It can be hit or miss, but I like it a poo poo ton better than xkcd. It is a lot more relate-able, although even xkcd will have a comic I enjoy now and then.

Edit Also hell yes, Poppy O'Possum rules the schools. I like the one armed guy who is a strumming Spanish guitar personified.

The single biggest difference between SMBC and XKCD is that Zach Weiner has a much better sense of comic timing, as in, using panels to establish beats. That's why GoatKCD works so well so consistently, for some reason Randall Munroe feels the need to add an extra panel to really explain his joke, and that extra panel ruins the timing as badly as hitting the rimshot before you get to the punchline. I've got nothing against Munroe and enjoy his What-If stuff a lot, I just think comics are the wrong medium for him to work in. The fact that most of his better works like Up-Goer Five are less comics than annotated illustrations really drive that point home.

In Poppy talk (no comment on the hiatus other than that I'm glad we'll be seeing more of Chickadino, I love the idea of a chickadee mafia), I went through Morbi's Tumblr a while ago and saw lots of posts about Undertale, and I was like "Of course, why didn't I make the connection earlier?" If you like the "cute mom" aspect of Poppy Opossum (as opposed to just the punching things really hard part) you really owe it to yourself to play Undertale, either the demo or wait until the full game is released, it's absolutely adorable and heart-wrenching. Seeing Morbi's self-portrait in the hiatus note reminded me of this okay enough talk about video game even if they are being made by noted webcomic MSPA musician Toby "Radiation" Fox.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Stuff I like? Gunnerkrigg, the SGR family, Paranatural, Cucumber Quest, and the aforementioned It Hurts!! and Latchkey Kingdom. And I follow their respective threads.

The "Capitalism" page in Latchkey is one of my favorite comic pages of all time.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Abyssal Squid posted:

In Poppy talk (no comment on the hiatus other than that I'm glad we'll be seeing more of Chickadino, I love the idea of a chickadee mafia), I went through Morbi's Tumblr a while ago and saw lots of posts about Undertale, and I was like "Of course, why didn't I make the connection earlier?" If you like the "cute mom" aspect of Poppy Opossum (as opposed to just the punching things really hard part) you really owe it to yourself to play Undertale, either the demo or wait until the full game is released, it's absolutely adorable and heart-wrenching. Seeing Morbi's self-portrait in the hiatus note reminded me of this okay enough talk about video game even if they are being made by noted webcomic MSPA musician Toby "Radiation" Fox.

Kick rear end, Toby Fox posted an update! I'm really hoping that Undertale isn't one of those thousands of games that fall into the abyss and never get finished and for awhile there I was getting kind of worried.

Also, this O'Possum comic that everyone seems to love looks interesting. I will check it out.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Like Pick said, rapid updates take the sting out of failed jokes, and also keep people checking in regularly. You see the same strategy in stand-up sometimes (eg Russell Howard, who I don't like but that's neither here nor there)

Surprisingly few smbc strips are outright bad in my opinion, though plenty are mediocre. It makes me laugh often enough though, so I'd tend to say his strategy works, for him at least.

I agree that rapid updates attract more people initially, but for an established comic with a huge following (millions of dollars worth of kickstarter money, which is a good indicator) I would argue it's not really necessary. Not going to delve into what's bad or mediocre, since after reading this comic for years one tends to have that 'things were better when it's only started' outlook, but don't you feel like SMBC's 'pulse' is flattening lately with funny comics not quite hitting as hard and mediocre comics becoming more and more prevalent?

Of course, it'd be interesting to know if the comic still attracts new audience.

qntm posted:

This is a nice yonkoma-style webcomic. I didn't really get the vocaloid band mini-arc, but apart from that it's an interesting spin on slice of life things like Azumanga or Sketchbook, since it's written from the teacher's perspective for a change.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

While we're suggesting stuff Derelict is basically Waterworld The Comic with weird monsters that aren't Keven Costner. I enjoy it for reasons I can't quite explain. It's probably not gonna be your thing if you don't like post-apocalypse stuff though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I like schlock mercenary.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Tunicate posted:

I like schlock mercenary.

*OMINOUS HUM*

One of the few comics I have constantly read over a decade, which is fitting, because it has yet miss a daily update.

I imagine it can be intimidating for new readers, but it's a fun, grounded vision of the far future, where mankind still needs violent maniacs and that episode of old Star Trek with the Horta only the Horta really was both violent and also a maniac (and had eyes that grew from trees).

Also fitting description: Band of hardened mercenaries change course of galactic history, still demands a paycheck.

Edit:

This has happened to anyone who has lived in a barracks at least thrice.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Ironic Twist posted:

Mafiosa, what are some webcomics you can recommend? Besides (or including) your own, of course.

E: Not trying to be a dick here, I'm genuinely interested

I have a links page on the site with some webcomic recommendations! The most recent one I added to the site is Ranger Pugsly which is made by a friend of mine who has some really amazing inks in his comic. It's about a summer camp for kids run by the titular ranger who is a apparently a man with the face of a pug. In the very first page of the strip he attempts to convince one of his campers to challenge a Clint Eastwood lookalike to a duel.

It has a good base of feeling grounded in "reality". The first story introduces things that are both weird but accepted and things that are weird and a surprise to the characters within the narrative. It's weird, but not in a way that's overwhelming. It's just the right amount of weird.

Here's a list of people I would recommend my webcomic to: no one

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Mafiosa posted:

I have a links page on the site with some webcomic recommendations! The most recent one I added to the site is Ranger Pugsly which is made by a friend of mine who has some really amazing inks in his comic. It's about a summer camp for kids run by the titular ranger who is a apparently a man with the face of a pug. In the very first page of the strip he attempts to convince one of his campers to challenge a Clint Eastwood lookalike to a duel.

It has a good base of feeling grounded in "reality". The first story introduces things that are both weird but accepted and things that are weird and a surprise to the characters within the narrative. It's weird, but not in a way that's overwhelming. It's just the right amount of weird.

Here's a list of people I would recommend my webcomic to: no one

Waaaaaait a sec, I have read your comic before. And I liked it!! Going to catch right up after I binge-read Mary Cagle.
I hope we can be unironic friends. :coffeepal:

Also pug-head comic spooked me for real, becaus at first I registered him as having empty eye-sockets. :gonk:

mooncity
Feb 15, 2014

You're so wet Cyntia. I cannot possibly describe how wet you are.
I like Intrepid Girlbot. I also unashamedly love "My Cardboard Life" by Phillipa Rice, and I don't care who knows it. It's one of the few comics made with collage, and she plays with the medium through self-aware paper cutout characters. It can be punny sometimes, and it's rarely a knee-slapper, but it is sweet and gentle, and has a distinctly British sense of whimsy. I think she's no longer updating, and that makes me sad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Badnix has been interesting developing the post-King Metafoblin world. It's on a spooky Halloween arc right now investigating some ghost murders. :spooky:

Rickety Stitch and the Gelatinous Goo is pretty good, although I haven't been keeping up with it as much as I should. It's by the same guy who did Shi Long Pang, but instead of footnotes about Manchurian China, it has fantasy lore.

Also something very bad just happened in Bittersweet Candy Bowl.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Badnix has been interesting developing the post-King Metafoblin world. It's on a spooky Halloween arc right now investigating some ghost murders. :spooky:

Ghosts doing murders or ghosts being murdered? Or both?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

I think he is already putting feelers out to move in a different direction. That's why he made his CYOA book and is now working with Boulet on a children's book. But you don't slaughter the core until you have somewhere new to direct people.

quote:

A friend of mine was explaining how there was a joke with SMBC with two gay guys (years ago now), and he couldn't figure out how their being gay fit into it, until he realized it didn't. It's one of my favorites by the way.

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

Elissia posted:

Ghosts doing murders or ghosts being murdered? Or both?

The latter... or both? :iiam:

A favorite comic of mine is Transdimensional Brain Chip by Øyvind Thorsby, the maker of Hitmen for Destiny (also a good read). The protagonist, Ulf, undergoes an experimental medical procedure to implant a chip in his brain that allows him to communicate with himself in parallel universes. Hilarity ensues as Ulf tries to use this power to his advantage in clever ways, but he's often stymied by his own idiocy. This early scene provides a good sample of Thorsby's humor. Two Ulfs in a bar try to score with a woman.

There's more to it than Ulf being stupid, but I don't want to spoil it too much. Thorsby's works have a thread in BSS, here.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
SMBC got way better when Weiner stopped writing it like The Parking Lot Is Full (now there was a formative webcomic in my adolescence!).

mooncity
Feb 15, 2014

You're so wet Cyntia. I cannot possibly describe how wet you are.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Rickety Stitch and the Gelatinous Goo is pretty good, although I haven't been keeping up with it as much as I should.

Oh... my... god!

I used to read that back on MySpace. Yeah, that long ago! It was really quite awesome, they even had a theme song! And the goo was a cube then, but whatever. I thought it was dead forever! Thank you for mentioning this one, now I gotta read it all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
ermm if we're doing some link pass-arounds I might as well post my comic, I guess? Kind of nervous about it but it's been going for a while and I've started to build up a small fanbase and get some nice feedback so I'd love to hear what you guys think about it. :blush: It is about angry ladies in space and a little girl who was raised by aliens.

(At the moment it's on a short hiatus because I just finished up a chapter, it'll start up again at the beginning of November)

• Locked thread