Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I went to Iceland last week, took some photos. I'm by no means a great photographer but I like how some of them came out.

In the valleys near Akureyri by NaDy, on Flickr

Lake Mżvatn by NaDy, on Flickr

Clouds by NaDy, on Flickr

Coastal road by NaDy, on Flickr

DC-3 plane wreck at Solheimasandur by NaDy, on Flickr

The road out of Žingvellir by NaDy, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I really like this one, the way all the curves meet in the distance

NaDy posted:

I went to Iceland last week, took some photos. I'm by no means a great photographer but I like how some of them came out.

Coastal road by NaDy, on Flickr

Loneliness by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Caught the eclipse yesterday, though on the East coast the sun set before much of the sun was covered.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Me and the big stopper found a nice bridge for the eclipse last night, too.

Eclipse by mattphilpott, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Medieval Medic posted:

I really like this one, the way all the curves meet in the distance

Loneliness by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

love it. wouldn't work without that grain.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Eclipse pics!

Eclipse by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Clouds made planning this shot really difficult. Didn't see where the Sun was setting until the moment it started setting. Only had about a minute to find the clearest view before it was over:

Horned Sunset by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Venusian Weasel posted:

Eclipse pics!

Clouds made planning this shot really difficult. Didn't see where the Sun was setting until the moment it started setting. Only had about a minute to find the clearest view before it was over:

I'm jealous. I went outside to try to get a photo of the eclipse, but the clouds were in the way.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Slavvy posted:

Are these anything? In the Letterman sense.

This one might be cool if it were straightened and cropped to be just the bottom middle part - then it'd be an architectural abstract of sorts.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

This one might be cool if it were straightened and cropped to be just the bottom middle part - then it'd be an architectural abstract of sorts.

it's too bad it wasn't shot straight on as well. that gap in the middle might have been interesting.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pukestain Pal posted:

it's too bad it wasn't shot straight on as well. that gap in the middle might have been interesting.

Nah, I think those windows on the side of the building add more.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

nielsm posted:

Nah, I think those windows on the side of the building add more.

oh, I like that too! would have just liked to have seen that one as well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was actually what I wanted to do, but it's a riverside power station and directly across from it is a shitload of houses; I was standing in a rest stop a few hundred meters down the river because it was the only spot with a clear view. For reference:

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Seeing your reference shot, I feel like there are some far more interesting compositions available with that rad looking power plant than what you originally went with.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Venusian Weasel posted:

Eclipse pics!

:v:

All the eclipse photos are neat, but that's the first thing I think off.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Denmark by Cacator, on Flickr

Copenhagen by Cacator, on Flickr

Castle Gardens, Copenhagen by Cacator, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

whoa. I think I just got hard.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 25, 2014

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
DSCF5141 by ian.mrozewski

_MG_2537 by ian.mrozewski

DSCF5324 by ian.mrozewski

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

this last one could stand to have highlights that go beyond grey

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

elgarbo posted:

Seeing your reference shot, I feel like there are some far more interesting compositions available with that rad looking power plant than what you originally went with.

Like what? I'm honestly curious because I often go past there on long distance trips to more interesting places so I could just repeatedly shoot it every couple of weeks. Keeping in mind that is quite literally the only place in town with an unobstructed view of the plant, other than being on a boat.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Like what? I'm honestly curious because I often go past there on long distance trips to more interesting places so I could just repeatedly shoot it every couple of weeks. Keeping in mind that is quite literally the only place in town with an unobstructed view of the plant, other than being on a boat.

To my eye, I'd be at least incorporating one (or more) of those smoke stacks. Provide some balance to the horizontal lines with a great big off-centre vertical. It'd need more than that to work necessarily, - lsome dramatic lighting, someting billowing out of the stack, whatever - but that's got more to do with timing and less to do with composition. You're not going to be able to just go for a walk to a spot and snap off a winner, you need to hit that spot at the right time of day, too.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
imposing by PC-P, on Flickr

bar by PC-P, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Boon Lay by alkanphel, on Flickr

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Gull by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

Smörnäs by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

Traktor by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

love it! brings me back to my childhood

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

These flash drift competitions are getting out of hand.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Hey that picture's coool.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nice!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
colour_test-9562 by ian.mrozewski

colour_test-9428 by ian.mrozewski

DSCF5357 by ian.mrozewski

I think I like underexposure too much . . .

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

:dance:

The other two not so much, but that one is great.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Rad

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I quite like this one, the grain really adds to the feel and mood of it.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
IMG_6268.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

How do you all feel about this one? I liked the dramatic lighting, but should it be taken wider to capture more of the background? Should I have included more foreground for depth, or is the complexity of the photo sufficient?

IMG_6315.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

Framed slightly differently.

IMG_6260.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

This picture was actually taken by placing my camera on a rock, without a tripod. Not perfect but didn't turn out too bad IMO

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

lollybo posted:

IMG_6260.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

This picture was actually taken by placing my camera on a rock, without a tripod. Not perfect but didn't turn out too bad IMO

I feel this could be significantly wider, unless there was some horribly ugly thing just out of frame.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

lollybo posted:

How do you all feel about this one? I liked the dramatic lighting, but should it be taken wider to capture more of the background? Should I have included more foreground for depth, or is the complexity of the photo sufficient?

It's hard to say something should be wider, not knowing what exactly is outside the frame, but both of these look great. The sun lit areas, in either composition, are where the eye will be more drawn to. Second would be the silhouette of the mountains against the sky. I think that making it wider would have diminished the sunlit area, and made the silhouette of the mountains more important. That's a choice, but I think you naturally chose your favorite one.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Arab Street by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

lollybo posted:

These are great but there's something about them that's making me feel uneasy. Are they straight?

I'm unsure about this one I took over the weekend. I'm undecided whether it's more "pretty colours" or "someone puked over the camera". I haven't tried to do faux-HDR, honest, it's just how it came out when I brightened it. That's not to say I can't tone it down though, but it feels like it would be a waste somehow.