Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The fan translations are on the CD Projekt Forums: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/16494-Our-Community-Fan-Translations
Although currently the epub dropbox link is over capacity, although you could download the PDFs and convert them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Look what was just released
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcogCjLymeI

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
The Witcher 3 : Vesemir? Never heard of him!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
That crow-whatsit was pretty cool.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Has Yennefer having crow/raven based magic ever come up besides the one she had in A Shard of Ice? I'm only halfway through the fourth novel.

Also, glad to see very high-pitched intro songs are back, I'm hyped.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Beautiful CGI as always.

Anyway how is the OP coming for the new thread? I feel like we should be moving over there as there has been a decent amount of media released.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Beautiful CGI as always.

Anyway how is the OP coming for the new thread? I feel like we should be moving over there as there has been a decent amount of media released.

I had kind of a shakeup at work so it kind of fell on my list of priorities, but things have settled down, and I aim to have it ready by Wednesday.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

I had kind of a shakeup at work so it kind of fell on my list of priorities, but things have settled down, and I aim to have it ready by Wednesday.

Awesome! Thanks for your time and effort. :)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpgQSbwnWD0

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Holy hell that video. I'm going to end up watching it dozens of times just like the previous one

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

GrossMurpel posted:

Has Yennefer having crow/raven based magic ever come up besides the one she had in A Shard of Ice? I'm only halfway through the fourth novel.

Also, glad to see very high-pitched intro songs are back, I'm hyped.

I read them like a year ago, but doesn't she summon two ravens when she is in that city cheating on Geralt with the old sorcerer dude? I mean she mainly used them as a metaphor of her needing/being in love with both Geralt and the aptly named Sir Otherguy; and not as an actual magical tool for any purpose.

Also it's cool that they showed how the mages canonically cast spells using the elements, eg water and earth.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I read them like a year ago, but doesn't she summon two ravens when she is in that city cheating on Geralt with the old sorcerer dude? I mean she mainly used them as a metaphor of her needing/being in love with both Geralt and the aptly named Sir Otherguy; and not as an actual magical tool for any purpose.

Also it's cool that they showed how the mages canonically cast spells using the elements, eg water and earth.

Yeah that's A Shard of Ice. Pretty sure there's only bird when Geralt is in her room but considering how Yennefer can always be reached by bird, I guess there might be several.

E: I just got up and remembered that my post was dumb because OF COURSE there were two birds in the short story, one for every suitor.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 25, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

That's cool man. The music is a little in-your-face but I can understand they want you to be excited, and I got over it pretty quick. Sounds good.

I don't know why I scroll down to the comments every time but I do. Don't do this guys.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Being an ornithologist in the Witcherverse must suck really hard.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't know why I scroll down to the comments every time but I do. Don't do this guys.

I really wish that the neckbeard & fedora crowd would stop "defending" me from the ravages of cultural criticism. "SEE, games aren't sexist because that chick just shot a crow through that dude's head."

edit: Also, I bequeath unto you a gift. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/herp-derp-for-youtube/ioomnmgjblnnolpdgdhebainmfbipjoh

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I really wish that the neckbeard & fedora crowd would stop "defending" me from the ravages of cultural criticism. "SEE, games aren't sexist because that chick just shot a crow through that dude's head."

edit: Also, I bequeath unto you a gift. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/herp-derp-for-youtube/ioomnmgjblnnolpdgdhebainmfbipjoh

Man, why isn't it updated for Firefox any longer? :(

Great new trailer. I can't wait to travel in Jennifer's trail and learn about all the awesome magic she does. Crows own, too.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Chrome. :cry: Firefox only appears to have this and apparently its quote bank is not well-populated. But thanks for the thought. :)

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Great new trailer. I can't wait to travel in Jennifer's trail and learn about all the awesome magic she does. Crows own, too.

Yennefer is not Jennifer. Please don't, unless you also feel that Frodo is Frederick and Artyom is Arthur and other bizarre lay translations should be used.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Totally gonna start calling Frodo, Frederick now.

For I will sing to you of Frederick of the Nine Fingers and the Ring of Doom!

Has a nice ring to it.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah that's A Shard of Ice. Pretty sure there's only bird when Geralt is in her room but considering how Yennefer can always be reached by bird, I guess there might be several.

E: I just got up and remembered that my post was dumb because OF COURSE there were two birds in the short story, one for every suitor.

Oh was that the name of the short story? I thought you were referencing the fact that in the video the raven becomes a shard of ice at the end. (and also was maybe summoned from a shard of ice, I don't remember... Probably summoned from a raindrop since they were doing the whole water and earth magic.)

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Does this invasion of Nilfgaard feature in the books in any way, or are we going in uncharted territory?

I don't really see the northern kingdoms getting out of this one, so I'm wondering if CDPR would take any big departure from Sapkowski's work.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Brumaldo posted:

Does this invasion of Nilfgaard feature in the books in any way, or are we going in uncharted territory?

I don't really see the northern kingdoms getting out of this one, so I'm wondering if CDPR would take any big departure from Sapkowski's work.

The game takes place a few years after the books, so everything is a departure.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Brumaldo posted:

A big part of Nilfgards invasion plan was to neutralize the mages so they must at least think there's a good chance of being beaten back by powerful magic users. I could totally see some Salamander-esque efforts by the mages to create abominations to fight them and failing that, the entire north turns into the middle east and is just impossible to occupy.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

A big part of Nilfgards invasion plan was to neutralize the mages so they must at least think there's a good chance of being beaten back by powerful magic users.

They have a very good reason to think that, the Eternal Battle is what you get when a spellcaster goes all out with their power.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Oh was that the name of the short story? I thought you were referencing the fact that in the video the raven becomes a shard of ice at the end. (and also was maybe summoned from a shard of ice, I don't remember... Probably summoned from a raindrop since they were doing the whole water and earth magic.)

Yeah, because the story of the Snow Queen who throws shards of ice into boys' hearts gets compared to Yennefer a few times in the short story.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 26, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Brumaldo posted:

In the books, Nilfgaard and the Northern Kingdoms have an uneasy peace. The backstory (that the games only hardly touch on) goes something like this:

Historically the North has been a lot of political intrigue and backstabbing while in the South, Nilfgaard is this massive hungry giant. In the Northern Kingdoms, there existed the Brotherhood of Sorcerers - a cooperation of northern mages that largely tried to keep the peace. Each monarch had one of the member mages as an advisor and thus, a lot of behind-the-scenes politicking was done.

Nilfgaard *did* try to invade the North at one point, going so far as to capture Cintra, where the royal family was of Elder Blood(lore-heavy thing of reasonable importance). The invasion went *really well* for Nilfgaard until The Battle of Sodden Hill, where the Brotherhood of Sorcerers got together and absolutely demolished the Nilfgaard army, losing 14 of its members in the process(though this count is suspect, as Yennefer and Triss are among The Fourteen). It was a total rout and bought the Northern Kingdoms a truce.

HOWEVER, shortly thereafter it turns out that the de-facto leader of the Brotherhood, Vilgefortz, has been secretly conspiring with the Emperor and along with some cohorts, pretty much demolishes the group with some dead and many fleeing. This action, the Thanedd coup, pretty much creates the spark for Philippa Eilhart(she-bitch supreme, featured in Witcher 2) to create the Lodge of Sorceresses. This is mostly meant as a girls-only club across the entire political sphere(Northern Kingdoms *and* Nilfgaard) to try and control the world from behind-the-scenes in a variety of ways. Conditionally they're the good guys, but like everything else in the Witcher lore, it's *really complicated*.

So since the games are placed some time after the books, it's reasonable to presume that Nilfgaard has had time to lick its wounds and is back on the path of glorious imperial conquest. Letho toppling the power structures in the North certainly hasn't helped, and with the Lodge in disarray there's no significant force coordinated to deal with the threat this time around.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cuntpunch posted:

The invasion went *really well* for Nilfgaard until The Battle of Sodden Hill, where the Brotherhood of Sorcerers got together and absolutely demolished the Nilfgaard army, losing 14 of its members in the process(though this count is suspect, as Yennefer and Triss are among The Fourteen). It was a total rout and bought the Northern Kingdoms a truce.

Doesn't Geralt go up to the Hill with the monument and explicity finds out Yennefer is not on the death list? She "just" got blinded.

Also, a general note to the guy asking: Read the books, they're drat good.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
That video was awesome. This game needs to come out already, jesus. :psyduck:

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Cuntpunch posted:

In the books, Nilfgaard and the Northern Kingdoms have an uneasy peace. The backstory (that the games only hardly touch on) goes something like this:

Historically the North has been a lot of political intrigue and backstabbing while in the South, Nilfgaard is this massive hungry giant. In the Northern Kingdoms, there existed the Brotherhood of Sorcerers - a cooperation of northern mages that largely tried to keep the peace. Each monarch had one of the member mages as an advisor and thus, a lot of behind-the-scenes politicking was done.

Nilfgaard *did* try to invade the North at one point, going so far as to capture Cintra, where the royal family was of Elder Blood(lore-heavy thing of reasonable importance). The invasion went *really well* for Nilfgaard until The Battle of Sodden Hill, where the Brotherhood of Sorcerers got together and absolutely demolished the Nilfgaard army, losing 14 of its members in the process(though this count is suspect, as Yennefer and Triss are among The Fourteen). It was a total rout and bought the Northern Kingdoms a truce.

HOWEVER, shortly thereafter it turns out that the de-facto leader of the Brotherhood, Vilgefortz, has been secretly conspiring with the Emperor and along with some cohorts, pretty much demolishes the group with some dead and many fleeing. This action, the Thanedd coup, pretty much creates the spark for Philippa Eilhart(she-bitch supreme, featured in Witcher 2) to create the Lodge of Sorceresses. This is mostly meant as a girls-only club across the entire political sphere(Northern Kingdoms *and* Nilfgaard) to try and control the world from behind-the-scenes in a variety of ways. Conditionally they're the good guys, but like everything else in the Witcher lore, it's *really complicated*.

So since the games are placed some time after the books, it's reasonable to presume that Nilfgaard has had time to lick its wounds and is back on the path of glorious imperial conquest. Letho toppling the power structures in the North certainly hasn't helped, and with the Lodge in disarray there's no significant force coordinated to deal with the threat this time around.

Thanks for the writeup, this kinda stuff is really interesting to me.

Also yeah, at this point I'll definitely read the books, I'm curious to see how does CDPR work stands up to them.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Brumaldo posted:

Thanks for the writeup, this kinda stuff is really interesting to me.

Also yeah, at this point I'll definitely read the books, I'm curious to see how does CDPR work stands up to them.

As troublesome as the opinion may be, don't read the 'official' translations - there exist fan translations out there that, while not perfect, are still vastly better than the actual published books. Whoever they hired to do translation on Blood of Elves has a pretty awful grasp of English - it reads a lot more as a word-by-word translation than an attempt to *translate* properly.

There's other relevant backstory that's going to play into the third game since they're bringing Ciri into the story. For reference, she's the Princess of Cintra, of Elder Blood - who escaped during the Nilfgaard invasion and was mostly raised by Triss and the Witchers at Kaer Morhen with some input from Yennefer. The Witcher books are primarily about her and Geralt, as their fates are intertwined rather significantly.

GrossMurpel posted:

Doesn't Geralt go up to the Hill with the monument and explicity finds out Yennefer is not on the death list? She "just" got blinded.

I seem to remember that both of them were among the Fourteen, but it has been a few years.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cuntpunch posted:

I seem to remember that both of them were among the Fourteen, but it has been a few years.

Yeah I think it was in the first novel where he meets literal death who taunts him and he is afraid to look at the last name on the list. Then when he finally does it it's just some random schmuck. Or maybe it was in Sword of Destiny.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 26, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah I think it was in the first novel where he meets literal death who taunts him and he is afraid to look at the last name on the list. Then when he finally does it it's just some random schmuck. Or maybe it was in Sword of Destiny.

Yep you're right and my memory is just hazy.

I just dug through for reference:

Blood of Elves posted:

‘It is said,’ interrupted Baron Vilibert all of a sudden, ‘that Yennefer of Vengerberg was killed on Sodden Hill. Several enchantresses were killed there—’

‘That’s not true,’ said Donimir of Troy. ‘Her name is not on the monument. I am from those parts and have often climbed Sodden Hill and read the names engraved on the monument. Three enchantresses died there: Triss Merigold, Lytta Neyd, known as Coral . . . hmm . . . and the name of the third has slipped my mind . . .’

Blood of Elves posted:

'[...]drat it, I’m Triss Merigold, the Fourteenth One Killed at Sodden. There are fourteen graves at the foot of the obelisk on the Hill, but only thirteen bodies. You’re amazed such a mistake could have been made? Most of the corpses were in hard-to-recognise pieces – no one identified them. The living were hard to account for, too. Of those who had known me well, Yennefer was the only one to survive, and Yennefer was blind. Others knew me fleetingly and always recognised me by my beautiful hair. And I, drat it, didn’t have it any more!’

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cuntpunch posted:

IIRC, the battle of Sodden was the first attack Nilfgaard made on the North in Geralt's lifetime (second short story collection). The second is made during the culmination of the more epic novel plot, and ends at Brennah (half the named characters in the games had something to do with the second, but only a few were present at the first).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Xander77 posted:

IIRC, the battle of Sodden was the first attack Nilfgaard made on the North in Geralt's lifetime (second short story collection). The second is made during the culmination of the more epic novel plot, and ends at Brennah (half the named characters in the games had something to do with the second, but only a few were present at the first).

Yeah they captured Cintra in the short stories and at the beginning of the novels, they're sitting at the Yaruga. Then they push across I think in the second book or so, capture a bunch of stuff and create the Elf vassal kingdom of Dol Blathanna.
Kaedwen also takes Upper Aedirn/renames it Lormark which you should remember as an important point in W2.

(Hopefully I remembered all this correctly :ohdear:)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Coughing Hobo posted:

:negative:

I uh... I meant this Wednesday, yeah that's it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

Not like there's any hurry with the game being away four months or so.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So this is cool...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-06-cd-projekt-announces-generous-witcher-3-dlc-plan

Everyone who buys The Witcher 3 will get all DLC (16 parts!) for free.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

NaDy posted:

So this is cool...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-06-cd-projekt-announces-generous-witcher-3-dlc-plan

gently caress yeah beard styles!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

NaDy posted:

So this is cool...

gently caress yeah herbalist gloves!

Glad to see they're keeping their DLC policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

Well you simply said 'Wednesday'. You didn't specify WHICH Wednesday it was going to be.

• Locked thread