Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

NGL posted:

Here's a question that's been bugging me ever since I saw Star Trek Into Darkness:

What's the correct pronunciation of Orci?

Or-See

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NGL posted:

Here's a question that's been bugging me ever since I saw Star Trek Into Darkness:

What's the correct pronunciation of Orci?

9/11 Truther Moron

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The second volume of Witch Doctor has a better sequel to Hellraiser than the vast majority of the Hellraiser sequels.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Here's something that came up when discussing how great Dredd is and how every American should see it with my boss. What's the first film where the gruff, cigar-chewing police chief yells at the action hero how the mayor's really riding his rear end over this, turn in your badge and gun, etc? I guessed Dirty Harry but somebody told me that Chinatown precedes it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Network Pesci posted:

Here's something that came up when discussing how great Dredd is and how every American should see it with my boss. What's the first film where the gruff, cigar-chewing police chief yells at the action hero how the mayor's really riding his rear end over this, turn in your badge and gun, etc? I guessed Dirty Harry but somebody told me that Chinatown precedes it.

How could that happen in Chinatown when Jake is a PI?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He's a PI in them, but Bogart gets dragged over the coals pretty hard by the DA in either The Maltese Falcon or The Big Sleep. (I'm pretty sure it's The Maltese Falcon, he's a lot surlier with the cops in that one).

bobkatt013 posted:

How could that happen in Chinatown when Jake is a PI?
He gets told to lay off the case by the chief of police I believe, it's a little different than what happens in Dirty Harry, but it's a similar concept.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Speaking of Alien: Resurrection, does it have any relation to the Fifth Element
in terms of like production staff or director or anything?

I'm just curious since I get the exact same "vibe" when watching both movies and I'm not sure why.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vakal posted:

Speaking of Alien: Resurrection, does it have any relation to the Fifth Element
in terms of like production staff or director or anything?

I'm just curious since I get the exact same "vibe" when watching both movies and I'm not sure why.

they were both made by French dudes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just discovered that IMBD has a feature to search what credits two films have in common. According to the results of this search, there are 7 people who were credited on both films. Some were model makers for one of the films, but none of them did the same type of work on both films.

I am going to spend the next infinity hours using this comparison search to confirm or deny all my hunches about films that are related to each other...

edit: V it's the first result if you google "imdb compare two movies", I didn't think I really needed to link it. Also, it's not very nice to use, since it doesn't tell you in the results what each person was credited as in each movie. Someone really needs to put the "database" in IMDB...

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 24, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I just discovered that IMBD has a feature to search what credits two films have in common. According to the results of this search, there are 7 people who were credited on both films. Some were model makers for one of the films, but none of them did the same type of work on both films.

I am going to spend the next infinity hours using this comparison search to confirm or deny all my hunches about films that are related to each other...

Aaand for all the people who don't know (this was kind of thoughtless of you) it's this:

https://www.imdb.com/search/common

I rarely use it but keep it on my bookmarks toolbar just in case.

And it really really works.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do directors do, and why is it more important that the Alien Trilogy was done by Ridley Scott, when it was written by Dan O'bannon. Isn't all that subtext stuff in the writing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Turtlicious posted:

What do directors do, and why is it more important that the Alien Trilogy was done by Ridley Scott, when it was written by Dan O'bannon. Isn't all that subtext stuff in the writing?

Directors direct everything, theoretically they are the final voice on set. Obviously a ton of interests are involved in making a movie so individual director's control varies widely between movies, but they are the one to say when to start filming and when to stop. Ridley Scott only directed the first Alien movie, and then Prometheus 30ish year later, as it's developed as a franchise James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver have probably had as much influence as anyone else.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Directors direct everything, theoretically they are the final voice on set. Obviously a ton of interests are involved in making a movie so individual director's control varies widely between movies, but they are the one to say when to start filming and when to stop. Ridley Scott only directed the first Alien movie, and then Prometheus 30ish year later, as it's developed as a franchise James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver have probably had as much influence as anyone else.

Lets not forget the original plan for the aliens life cycle - people are turned into eggs. I would say that James Cameron had a huge influence, and Sigourney Weaver had a bigger.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would like to post about Aliens a lot more, but this doesn't feel like the thread to go "This is what I think about this movie." What would be the thread for that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I would like to post about Aliens a lot more, but this doesn't feel like the thread to go "This is what I think about this movie." What would be the thread for that?

General Chat. Warning, all of the CineD boogeymen hang out there, but we're always up for a chat about Aliens. There was a thread specifically about Aliens, but I think it got gassed because too many people got offended at the idea of a movie featuring a monster designed by Giger might have some sort of sexual connotation.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwirl posted:

General Chat. Warning, all of the CineD boogeymen hang out there, but we're always up for a chat about Aliens. There was a thread specifically about Aliens, but I think it got gassed because too many people got offended at the idea of a movie featuring a monster designed by Giger might have some sort of sexual connotation.

It's kind of super obvious and on the nose though, also ok.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

It's kind of super obvious and on the nose though, also ok.

I've seen people in this forum argue there was no racial subtext to Night of the Living Dead where a literal pick-up truck full of rednecks shoot a black guy because they don't think he's human, in a movie made in 1969. And this is a place that I think is more accepting of analysis of films compared to the rest of the internet. I don't think you can make a movie with low enough hanging fruit that it won't still go completely over some people's heads.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Turtlicious posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auteur_theory

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Skwirl posted:

I've seen people in this forum argue there was no racial subtext to Night of the Living Dead

That's adorable.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

the cinema down our road's showing a double bill of Alien + Aliens for Halloween :D
they're both the extended cuts :'(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I've seen people in this forum argue there was no racial subtext to Night of the Living Dead where a literal pick-up truck full of rednecks shoot a black guy because they don't think he's human, in a movie made in 1969. And this is a place that I think is more accepting of analysis of films compared to the rest of the internet. I don't think you can make a movie with low enough hanging fruit that it won't still go completely over some people's heads.

I always saw no racial subtext win Night of the living dead, I saw it as text. There is not only the thing you mentioned, but it was a black guy who was the hero in a movie made in 1969. Do they also think there is no feminist text/subtext in the alien series?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bobkatt013 posted:

I always saw no racial subtext win Night of the living dead, I saw it as text. There is not only the thing you mentioned, but it was a black guy who was the hero in a movie made in 1969. Do they also think there is no feminist text/subtext in the alien series?

Only at the end does it become text, and even then, it's debatable. There is no reference to it otherwise, that's the definition of subtext.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cerv posted:

the cinema down our road's showing a double bill of Alien + Aliens for Halloween :D

Is this a Vue cinema thing in general then or do we live near each other?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Cerv posted:

Astor Theatre in Melbourne?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

That's adorable.

He was arguing the rednecks in the truck were just using perfectly sensible tactics like most people would in the event of a real life zombie apocalypse.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In Aliens3 she literally said the alien violated her and she now carried its child.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

In Aliens3 she literally said the alien violated her and she now carried its child.

What do you mean an aborted fetus that looks like a giant vagina killing the creator of mankind has some deeper meaning?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwirl posted:

What do you mean an aborted fetus that looks like a giant vagina killing the creator of mankind has some deeper meaning?

So I should watch aliens 4 then prometheus?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

don't watch Prometheus

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

PriorMarcus posted:

Is this a Vue cinema thing in general then or do we live near each other?

seems to be quite a few, but not all of them.

if you see a guy getting up for a long piss break during the colony scene before the Sulaco arrives, maybe we are neighbours

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

watch Prometheus

I think you're having problems with your keyboard.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I think you're having problems with your keyboard.

you're having problems woth your brain, such as liking Prometheus

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Prometheus was better than Automata.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The only two movies released this century worth watching are Spring Breakers and Prometheus.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Prometheus was better than Automata.

Boy the preview for that movie looked great but then it came out and I kept hearing it was really lame :(

Prometheus owns though. Of all the Alien movies, I'd say skip 3. At least 4 is fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alien 3 is not fun, but it is good, and Alien 4 is not.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

effectual posted:

Boy the preview for that movie looked great but then it came out and I kept hearing it was really lame :(

Prometheus owns though. Of all the Alien movies, I'd say skip 3. At least 4 is fun.

Automata is not a bad movie, it works with some interesting ideas, it's just that the script could do with say a weeks more work or so

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The only two movies released this century worth watching are Spring Breakers and Prometheus.

Mulhollland Dr. is pretty good too.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Just watch Alien and Terrence Malick movies forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Surviving Edged Weapons on an infinite loop.

I am not dying in no ghetto.
No way sports fans.