Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought the composition of Eric's tattoo was absolutely terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TheRationalRedditor posted:

There isn't even a need to haughtily single out spikeTV in that regard, all reality television production companies want their shows to revel in screaming, crying and bickering. Douches yelling swears in kitchens is its own cottage television sub-genre.

SyFy's Face Off is mostly a nice show about nice people helping each other out and offering positive encouragement even though they're in direct competition every week. :colbert:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kinda surprised Don wasn't the one sent home, his looked blobby and lame and nothing like a heart whatsoever.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

SyFy's Face Off is mostly a nice show about nice people helping each other out and offering positive encouragement even though they're in direct competition every week. :colbert:
in what world do you live in where "syfy" isn't an insane outlier, lol

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

Kinda surprised Don wasn't the one sent home, his looked blobby and lame and nothing like a heart whatsoever.

This, but every week. Maybe they've also forgotten he's there?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
The preview is out for next week and in it they really pushed "Live Mas!" and Taco Bell... So me and another buddy have been pissing Aaron off today by spamming his facebook, here are some choice ones.

"You must tattoo.... using Mountain Dew Baja Blast as the ink. ~good luck~"

"For today's flash challenge you will have to construct the perfect Mexican pizza"

"Taco Bell always invites you to 'Think Outside the Bun'. This means, for this challenge, no butt tattoos will be allowed."

"For today's tattoo you have to eat 10 doritos locos tacos and tattoo for 10 hours with no bathroom breaks, your time begins... Now"

E: Oh, I am back in town for a while and so is Aaron, if anyone has any questions now for either him or Mark let me know.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Does Aaron have some kind of concentric circle scarification on his cheek or did he just come out on the wrong end of a barfight once?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Does Aaron have some kind of concentric circle scarification on his cheek or did he just come out on the wrong end of a barfight once?

It's scarification, two curved lines on each cheek, I call then racing stripes. I actually recently got the top of an arm blacked out and am going to have it scarred with sacred geometry.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

What sacred about it? Is it the MacDonalds logo?!

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

What sacred about it? Is it the MacDonalds logo?!

Taco bell, live mas!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I can't stand Emily but I felt really bad for her episode before last. Endometriosis is a bitch and the pain can be debilitating. Kudos to her for still tattooing. When mine flares up I just roll around on the floor crying.

Question for Aaron/Mark, did Chris Nunez really hate Emily or was the comment during that elimination about wanting to send her home just for show? Was her reaction to it genuine?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Where does the pressure come to make it a scripted drama rather than a competition? Is the market for "20 artists do similar themed tattoos, the bad ones get eliminated" so small? The interviews are bad, because the questions are bad and the beefs are weak, the artists aren't too bright, but does it have to be that way? I'd really rather them spend the 10 seconds they use on "Oh no she ditn't!" reaction shots on actually showing the completed tattoos.

I always like when they give the artists unfamiliar mediums to work with. That is a good gimmick, and produces interesting results.

If it was a competition, rather than a soap opera, would they get better talent on the show?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

Where does the pressure come to make it a scripted drama rather than a competition? Is the market for "20 artists do similar themed tattoos, the bad ones get eliminated" so small? The interviews are bad, because the questions are bad and the beefs are weak, the artists aren't too bright, but does it have to be that way? I'd really rather them spend the 10 seconds they use on "Oh no she ditn't!" reaction shots on actually showing the completed tattoos.

I always like when they give the artists unfamiliar mediums to work with. That is a good gimmick, and produces interesting results.

If it was a competition, rather than a soap opera, would they get better talent on the show?

I think that, as you alluded to, it's a cycle. They don't get great talent because I don't think that's what they're screening for. They seem to be screening to get one or two genuinely good, talented artists, a handful of decent ones, and a few bad ones. The decent and bad ones, to make up for their portfolios, need to be willing to create drama and storylines. Because of this, good artists generally don't want to be on the show. Since they don't have good artists, they have to spend time on the drama because if they leave the completed work up on the screen too long the audience will realize that it's pretty bad.

I think the hope was that the show would get popular and then good artists would want to be on it. I'm embarrassed to even tell my artist that I watch it.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

detectivemonkey posted:

Because of this, good artists generally don't want to be on the show.

I think the hope was that the show would get popular and then good artists would want to be on it. I'm embarrassed to even tell my artist that I watch it.

This sort of goes into one of my questions, how do artists in the industry view people who have been on the show? Does wining actually help someone's career or does it kind of put a black spot on your reputation for taking part?

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
This show is a guilty pleasure for me. I don't have any tats, but my girlfriend does. Anyways, we both get a kick from watching people get bad tattoos and pretending like it's awesome. I mean you could make an interesting show about tattoo competition if you gave everyone a week to do a competent, clean tattoo or something, but Jesus Christ does this show get on my nerves with this fake drama garbage.

My girlfriend and I still get a good laugh about the lovely horse tattoo from a couple of weeks ago. Holy poo poo what was he thinking!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Honestly I don't think the "Ink Master Sample" could be too egregiously far off in its representation of proportionate skill strata of tattooists the world over. Like any artform there's going to be an extremely small crust of truly talented stand-outs and and endless number of well-meaning/jerkass scrubs. That's life

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

KilGrey posted:

This sort of goes into one of my questions, how do artists in the industry view people who have been on the show? Does wining actually help someone's career or does it kind of put a black spot on your reputation for taking part?

Cleen Rock One is actually a pretty well known and respected artist as far as I know, at least I have a book that's about 8 years old featuring his work and was watching him on Instagram before the show aired. He is also my favourite to win this though. I can't see him becoming hugely less respected because of the TV show.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

KilGrey posted:

My artist works in traditional and in one episode Clint (who now has a show) said that to do a traditional tattoo he needed to draw something good and then draw it bad. So after watching that episode with the people at his (mostly traditional) shop he's not a fan.

I think the top one or two (in quality not always in ranking on the show) are typically truly good artists. I thought Halo was legitimately good. Jesse, the new school guy from a previous season was also amazing. Anyone under that is usually at best a decent artist. It's just lovely when they promote it as the "20 top artists" and people who don't know much about tattooing thing that's true. There are a TON of loving amazing tattoo artists.

As for other people in the industry I think it would depend overall. If someone came back and said "yeah I wanted the exposure" and was honest about it I think it wouldn't be a black mark. But reading some contestants' Twitter accounts after a show airs makes me lose all respect for the person.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I can't believe Dave Navarro said his Taco Bell Live Mas speech with a straight face.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Gaunab posted:

I can't believe Dave Navarro said his Taco Bell Live Mas speech with a straight face.

My wife and I were laughing our asses off at that. Why did they even take them up to the roof?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Not to mention Dave wearing that floppy hat and big glasses get up.

Could have been Aaron or Julia.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 29, 2014

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Mods please change the thread title to "Taco Bell Presents: Ink Master; Live Mas"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

My favorite part of the rampant unapologetic "live mas'ing" was how every single critique for the flash challenge was over the top in its unconditional positivity so as not to associate doritos and beef substrate with bad, unchill feelings. They never do this about anything, so you knew the segment was basically commissioned. The "GOLDEN GORDITA AWARD" went to a lousy watch tattoo with flowers that looks bad!

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I seriously want to know when they stop kissing Eric's rear end for bad tattoos because man that watch. And last week's biomech. I dunno if it's just to get a rise out of the audience or what.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
My favorite part of the episode was the huge, slobby fat dude saying how he got that tattoo cuz he lives the "Spartan lifestyle" everyday.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I laughed at that too because obese middle aged NY/NJ sounding dudes who probably don't care much for gays yet obliviously consider "300" their favorite film are a hilarious shame.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Gaunab posted:

From what I have heard, that took multiple takes...

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Just realized Emily is the last female left.

Edit: Well so much for that. I thought Cris was gone for good due to that '90s armor King Arthur lookin' Jesus.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 5, 2014

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I thought Emily's was the worst, but Mark's been down there way too goddamn much, I figured he was due.

Also I wonder how deceptively minor Josh's rulebreaking ends up being.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

It was cool to see Tommy Montoya on the show actually tattooing too. I really like that guy and his fun personality. What did y'all think of Cleen getting called out and calling out Tommy?

Now that Emily is gone I wonder if the drama will be at a minimum (doubtful). I'm taking a chance and betting that either Mark or Cris are the next to go.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
They should make Oliver and Chris tattoo one episode. Maybe next season when they do ink master teams or some poo poo

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Does Josh look like Wil Wheaton to anyone else?

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Maybe if Wil Wheaton had dead, soulless shark eyes.
(Josh is a husk of a human.)

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014
Muppet Face Jesus comes pretty close to the retarded horse form several episodes ago to being the tattoo that has made me laugh the hardest this season.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Muppet Jesus was terrible. Now that Emily is gone, I assume Josh will be the new source of drama.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Finals have to be Josh, Cleen, and a wildcard (I have a feeling about Mark, for some reason.)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Not Today Satan posted:

It was cool to see Tommy Montoya on the show actually tattooing too. I really like that guy and his fun personality. What did y'all think of Cleen getting called out and calling out Tommy?

Now that Emily is gone I wonder if the drama will be at a minimum (doubtful). I'm taking a chance and betting that either Mark or Cris are the next to go.

Calling out Tommy: what the gently caress. You have to be legitimately stupid to have thought that was even remotely a good idea.

Tommy was super classy about it, though. And I liked to dig he get in later, even if he followed it up with compliments anyway.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

OmegaBR posted:

Finals have to be Josh, Cleen, and a wildcard (I have a feeling about Mark, for some reason.)

I think Erik. Has he sent out any garbage? I can't recall if he did.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

DaisyDanger posted:

He's been sort of middle of the pack, but has won his share of accolade. Honestly, Erik would probably be the favorite at the moment to be the third man. I mostly said Mark because he has a ton of experience and was very bottom of the pack for a while, but has managed to survive so far and is slowly creeping his way back up. Not that I think he would win - he'd come in third behind Josh or Cleen - but I can see him making it to the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

DaisyDanger posted:

His biomech piece that we spoke about on the last page. Also that clock/watch that was really :effort:. I REALLY hope he does not make the final 3.

• Locked thread