Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rolo posted:

Is there a Duolingo thread yet? Seems like something goons would be into, but it being educational/language/ios/android/game/software I don't know where to look for discussion.

Duolingo is discussed quite frequently in the Spanish and French threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Skarsnik posted:

You mean instead of non electronic dance music?

Is that like line dancing or something?

You Americans are so crazy

(cool derail)

George Clinton would like a word.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

Shouldn't someone from the UK be super aware as to what EDM is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckMvj1piK58

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Rolo posted:

Is there a Duolingo thread yet? Seems like something goons would be into, but it being educational/language/ios/android/game/software I don't know where to look for discussion.

There are language learning threads in other sub-forums.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=162

I'm sure the proper threads would have Duolingo offered in the OP.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If the app decides to work right, the Apple Store is offering Camera+ for free.

Note that it's the Apple Store app, and not the App Store app. It's a seperate app.

It's US only (word is, you can change your region to get it), iPhone/iPod only (can't get it on your iPad), and iOS 8 only (you should be able to get it using iTunes, to save for when you update).

If you don't have the Apple Store app installed, open the App Store on your iPhone, then search for and install Apple Store.

Once that's done, open Apple Store, tap on Stores at the bottom of the screen, and scroll down a little. You'll see the Camera+ icon. Tap the text below it, then tap the green Download now for free bar at the bottom of the screen.

This will give you a popup saying you're going to the App Store. Tap continue. The App Store will open, and the code will already be filled in. Tap Redeem in the top right corner to install Camera+.

Of course, it's at this point you have to hope it works. A lot of people (myself included) have been getting codes that say they've already been redeemed. I can't get it to generate a new code, or accept the one it gave me, no matter what internet advice I've tried.

Good luck!

(And if you already own the app, I'll be happy to take your code. Maybe that will work for me...)

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

That Camera+ for free works for me, and I'm in Canada.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Camera+ code:

T9JXLNKJK6TJ

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Camera+ code:

T9JXLNKJK6TJ

Also says redeemed. The downside of trying to get a code when you're not Plat. Ah well. Thanks for trying, and congratulations to whoever got it. :)

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

NinetySevenA posted:

That Camera+ for free works for me, and I'm in Canada.

It worked for me in Japan, too

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kheldarn posted:

Also says redeemed. The downside of trying to get a code when you're not Plat. Ah well. Thanks for trying, and congratulations to whoever got it. :)

Send me an ICQ, 5112925.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Kaizoku posted:

Send me an ICQ, 5112925.

Am I reading this correctly or did someone dose my drink?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bummey posted:

Am I reading this correctly or did someone dose my drink?

I'm pretty sure it's not even the first time I've referenced my ICQ in an iOS apps thread.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kheldarn posted:

Note that it's the Apple Store app, and not the App Store app. It's a seperate app.

It's US only (word is, you can change your region to get it), iPhone/iPod only (can't get it on your iPad), and iOS 8 only (you should be able to get it using iTunes, to save for when you update).

If you don't have the Apple Store app installed, open the App Store on your iPhone, then search for and install Apple Store.

Once that's done, open Apple Store, tap on Stores at the bottom of the screen, and scroll down a little. You'll see the Camera+ icon. Tap the text below it, then tap the green Download now for free bar at the bottom of the screen.

This will give you a popup saying you're going to the App Store. Tap continue. The App Store will open, and the code will already be filled in. Tap Redeem in the top right corner to install Camera+.

Of course, it's at this point you have to hope it works. A lot of people (myself included) have been getting codes that say they've already been redeemed. I can't get it to generate a new code, or accept the one it gave me, no matter what internet advice I've tried.

Good luck!

(And if you already own the app, I'll be happy to take your code. Maybe that will work for me...)

Awesome, I've wanted that app for years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
ICQ is indeed still around!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tuyop posted:

Awesome, I've wanted that app for years.

I can't imagine yearning for an app for such a long time and not just buying it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I can't imagine yearning for an app for such a long time and not just buying it.

It was always like, five bucks (or something)? I kept thinking, "Nah it won't let me do more than I do now." But now even the 5S camera is legit enough to benefit. I mean, it shoots at 2000 ISO with 1/2s exposure and looks like this:

And I wasn't trying to hold it still! The 6+ must be awesome.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The Camera+ offer also works just fine in the UK without changing stores.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

The Camera+ offer also works just fine in the UK without changing stores.

And with just the same "already redeemed" bullshit! :v:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My first code didn't work so I went back to the Apple store and tried again and it worked the second time :neckbeard:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

My first code didn't work so I went back to the Apple store and tried again and it worked the second time :neckbeard:

Okay, yeah. If you've been getting the "code already redeemed", quit both the app store and apple apps, then re-do it.

In other news, Camera+ is pretty ace.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So

What's the status on that weather widget

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
So I just switched to an iPhone and am realizing how much I grew to love a swipe keyboard. Does anyone recommend one since all of the reviews in the store seem to be terrible.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ManMythLegend posted:

So I just switched to an iPhone and am realizing how much I grew to love a swipe keyboard. Does anyone recommend one since all of the reviews in the store seem to be terrible.

SwiftKey if you want to pay nothing. Swype if you want to pay a dollar.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
But neither of them work consistently.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

But neither of them work consistently.

This is what I'm talking about. How inconsistent is inconsistent?

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

I use swype as my main keyboard. It's been fine for me since 8.1 came out.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

fr3lm0 posted:

I use swype as my main keyboard. It's been fine for me since 8.1 came out.

Ok cool, I'll give it a shot then.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I use Swype constantly, it fucks up at least once a day, on various apps, from messages to maps. I'm also on 8.1.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I use SwiftKey and haven't had any problems since the 8.1 update.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

the kawaiiest posted:

I use SwiftKey and haven't had any problems since the 8.1 update.

You've reminded me that I haven't switched back to SwiftKey since 8.1...

Actually interested if it handles better than Swype on keyboard generation.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Well, I'm a few hours in with Swype and so far so good. Fingers crossed.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Kheldarn posted:

Good luck!

When I tap on store it just takes me to the nearest store (I'm a UK user currently in Turkey). No icon to be seen anywhere...any clues?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Well that's new. In SwiftKey when I get into a messages conversation the keyboard is SwiftKey but immediately switches to the stock keyboard. Progress?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That's one of the issues I alluded too. Sometimes the keyboard disappears entirely and you have to restart the app. Pretty chill.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Edit: one for the iPhone thread.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
My 6+ finally shipped. :neckbeard: I have a sudden and unexplainable hankering for a weather widget...

edit: Huh. I know I never bought Dark Sky, and it's never been free, but apparently it's owned on my account. Maybe I got it via promo code.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 26, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm using Swiftkey and its pretty buggy. Sometimes it causes my Messages to freeze up and I have to close it through the multitask menu and reopen Other times it'll register keystrokes half the time, and I have to close and re-open messages again. This is with all the latest 8.1

Its nothing gamebreakinig as it happens once or twice a day. But it's still annoying.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well that's new. In SwiftKey when I get into a messages conversation the keyboard is SwiftKey but immediately switches to the stock keyboard. Progress?

I forgot to mention that SwiftKey is my only keyboard. That might be the reason why I'm not having any problems with it. When I had the default keyboard installed along with it, this happened all the time. So I uninstalled it and kept just SwiftKey.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

the kawaiiest posted:

I forgot to mention that SwiftKey is my only keyboard. That might be the reason why I'm not having any problems with it. When I had the default keyboard installed along with it, this happened all the time. So I uninstalled it and kept just SwiftKey.

Nope, still does it when I have Swiftkey as the only active keyboard in settings. This is not a new problem for me, I'm just a little sad it's still a thing in 8.1. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

monkeytennis posted:

When I tap on store it just takes me to the nearest store (I'm a UK user currently in Turkey). No icon to be seen anywhere...any clues?

You don't have these buttons at the bottom?