Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Suspicious Dish posted:

It was Ian Jackson. He is not Ian of Deb-Ian.

i just read a shitload of jan-feb 2014 mailing list flamewar involving this guy

that's a couple hours of my life i'll never get back

also holy lol that it was actually seriously argued in that thread that the upstart maintainer employed by canonical should not recuse himself due to conflict of interest, even after one of the canonical people dropped the bombshell that, if debian chose systemd, canonical might not continue funding upstart (which of course is what actually happened).

lol even more that the entire committee (not just the canonical stooges) went along with this farce

i understand trying to defend your jorb, but jfc

<--- presently amazed debian ever ships poo poo at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

and that's the most popular desktop Linux

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

i just read a shitload of jan-feb 2014 mailing list flamewar involving this guy

that's a couple hours of my life i'll never get back

also holy lol that it was actually seriously argued in that thread that the upstart maintainer employed by canonical should not recuse himself due to conflict of interest, even after one of the canonical people dropped the bombshell that, if debian chose systemd, canonical might not continue funding upstart (which of course is what actually happened).

lol even more that the entire committee (not just the canonical stooges) went along with this farce

i understand trying to defend your jorb, but jfc

I mean, I sort of understand that. Canonical is perhaps the biggest user of Debian. It would be nice if the biggest user got a say in that debate. You can call it rigging, I can call it actually listening to your customers.

Still, even with that, they lost fair and square. I'm just surprised they were good sports about it, but I suppose they didn't really have a vested interest anymore when Keybuk left for Google.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

oval office AND PASTE posted:

yospos really needs a UI discussion thread because these problems are in no way specific to linux

Agreed

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
unity is good when you auto hide the dock thingy. i like hitting the meta (?) key and just typing what i'm looking for like a poor mans spotlight

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are no "new computer users with no past experience," they do not exist. 76% of homes and 100% of schools have computers in them already, and approximately 0% of them are running gnome 3.x. every user who touches gnome 3 has a prior experience with a system that is not gnome 3

windows 95 mostly got poo poo right, and pretending that they didn't so you can ~*~ innovate ~*~ is just the wrong thing to do

p.s. you are the one who brought up old people, not me. nice goalpost moving from "your grandma" to "new computer users"

I am the children born with computer skills

Fun story no one will read: I was a computer science tutor in college and one day I get a 101 student who calls me over to his desk. His computer is at the login screen. He asks " what do I do?" I respond " your teacher gave you credentials to login with" his response " how do I login?"

A literal thing that happened in 2005

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

I am the children born with computer skills

Fun story no one will read: I was a computer science tutor in college and one day I get a 101 student who calls me over to his desk. His computer is at the login screen. He asks " what do I do?" I respond " your teacher gave you credentials to login with" his response " how do I login?"

A literal thing that happened in 2005

ah

so the core audience of "new computer users" for gnome 3 is homeschool kids

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oval office AND PASTE posted:

yospos really needs a UI discussion thread because these problems are in no way specific to linux

it would just be shitposts masturbating to osx

this thread had to have a scary title to keep osx users the gently caress out of it and we still got pages of white noise about the genius of stebe

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ah

so the core audience of "new computer users" for gnome 3 is homeschool kids

e: nvm this is tiresome

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

syntaxrigger posted:

e: nvm this is tiresome

p sure "but new users don't know what 'logging in' means" is moving the goalposts

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

api call girl posted:

p sure "but new users don't know what 'logging in' means" is moving the goalposts

nah literally being a blank slate with no expectations is the only way a person could be expected to find gnome 3 tolerable

imagine a great force, clothed in the armor of god, ready to defend open sores and gnome 3. homeschooling can change everything, including computer ui

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BobHoward posted:

yeah i'd hardly call "ship a five year old linux once a decade" "shipping poo poo at all"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah i'd hardly call "ship a five year old linux once a decade" "shipping poo poo at all"

they've shipped every two years for 6 of the past 7 releases. in terms of scheduling, they're doing pretty good.

aug 00: potato
jul 02: woody
jun 05: sarge
apr 07: etch
feb 09: lenny
feb 11: squeeze
may 13: wheezy

the bigger problem with debian is the poo poo support lifecycle. you get 12 months after release to migrate 100% from the prior release, and that is just not feasible for most people

they are talking about doing lts for wheezy, but you can't make plans based on "oh maybe we'll support this one longer idk"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
install rhel, or centos, or oracle linux

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

imagine a great force, clothed in the armor of god, ready to defend open sores and gnome 3. homeschooling can change everything, including computer ui

I unironically expect there are Free Software people who have homeschooled their kids so they're raised without exposure to proprietary software

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

eschaton posted:

I unironically expect there are Free Software people who have homeschooled their kids so they're raised without exposure to proprietary software

I will homeschooling my son free of the corrupting influence of lennart poettering

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

api call girl posted:

I will homeschooling my son free of the corrupting influence of lennart poettering

in this house we use sysV init as att intended

don't forget to read your man pages before bed

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

None of this matters because

1) kids prefer phones over PCs
2) Mac OS x is the best Linux followed by gnome 3 then enlightenment. Sorry about you olds not being able to use computers

Someone please copy and paste a rant about windows vista but replace windows and vista with Linux and gnome 3.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

:barf:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a verbatim quote from ur life I assume

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

1) kids prefer phones over PCs

boy are those kids going to be in for a shock when they enter adulthood and are actually expected to perform useful services in exchange for money then

it's fine if they prefer phones over PCs, i prefer laying around on my rear end to writing firmware to drive some Microchip piece of poo poo but only one of those activities results in my rent getting paid so, welp

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr Dog posted:

boy are those kids going to be in for a shock when they enter adulthood and are actually expected to perform useful services in exchange for money then

it's fine if they prefer phones over PCs, i prefer laying around on my rear end to writing firmware to drive some Microchip piece of poo poo but only one of those activities results in my rent getting paid so, welp

:yayclod: ~eventually you will be expected to produce rather than passively consume on a smartphone~ :yayclod:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

api call girl posted:

:yayclod: ~eventually you will be expected to produce rather than passively consume on a smartphone~ :yayclod:

You can produce poo poo posts p effectively on a phone

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013
the solution to this is universal income. nobody should ever be forced to do anything productive.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

You can produce poo poo posts p effectively on a phone

the catch is i never get paid for it

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pagoe posted:

the solution to this is universal income. nobody should ever be forced to do anything productive.

- gigantic fat goon wearing a keffiyeh

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Suspicious Dish posted:

I mean, I sort of understand that. Canonical is perhaps the biggest user of Debian. It would be nice if the biggest user got a say in that debate. You can call it rigging, I can call it actually listening to your customers.

Still, even with that, they lost fair and square. I'm just surprised they were good sports about it, but I suppose they didn't really have a vested interest anymore when Keybuk left for Google.

yeh i guess i'm mostly reacting to the way the three upstart supporters in the debian tc acted, when you skim through the archives they did an awful lot of transparent bad-faith arguing. not just politics, they got very passive-aggressive about all the valid reasons other tc members came up with for selecting systemd. (as far as i could tell from skimming, the systemd faction of the tc arrived at being a systemd faction out of a sincere attempt to fairly rank the options, on technical merit and other factors.)

ian jackson in particular went totally crazy trying to abuse process as soon as it became clear there were enough votes to select systemd, quibbling to delay a final vote and then insisting on complicating it with silly riders to multiply the number of options (an attempt to split the opposition's vote)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

postin itt from os x at 5120x2880 thx all

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theadder posted:

sweet rig

pram
Jun 10, 2001

theadder posted:

post a screenshot bruv

pram
Jun 10, 2001
get ur dicks out gentlemen

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

ian jackson in particular went totally crazy trying to abuse process as soon as it became clear there were enough votes to select systemd, quibbling to delay a final vote and then insisting on complicating it with silly riders to multiply the number of options (an attempt to split the opposition's vote)

welcome to the most common failure mode of any participatory organization or process

dehumanize yourself and face to bikeshed

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

everywhere wants to either jpg or not upload lol so here we go u gotta click i guess thx radium

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x27eqzq2jr80kh/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-25%20at%205.02.18%20PM.png

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

welcome to the most common failure mode of any participatory organization or process

dehumanize yourself and face to bikeshed

arguably this is what success looks like. it is not pretty and that is ok

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
debian is a real democracy. everything is run by committee. screaming shitfits are mostly performed in public. it is arguable that it is possible to abuse process by design

ian jackson being a total dick about systemd, raising every possible concern, 'abusing' the process to slow his opponents, and finally getting hosed despite it all is how poo poo is supposed to work. it is ok if it is ugly and often mean

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

good to see you're not one of those full screen browser bad idiot goatfuckers

pram
Jun 10, 2001

unffff

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i didnt set up much yet lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its gr8 tho