Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I can't wait to see how everyone's going to wind up not being dead THIS time!

That was really good music, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Seems like this will get reversed, eventually. There's just too drat many consequences that the alpha timeline wouldn't abide.

My suspicion is that things are going to change at a much earlier point in the timeline, possibly as early as the Beta kids arriving in the Alpha session, just to see all the dominos fall in a completely different order.

It's only a question of how.

Well, let's see:

1) John narrative powers is the most obvious one, but maybe too obvious.

2) Hasn't everything post- Aranea resurrecting technically been a doomed timeline? She said-so herself that she was attempting to deviate from the alpha timeline.

3) Or, hell, maybe everyone stays dead, but, as we've seen, being dead has not really stopped a lot of people.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Bobulus posted:

Hasn't everything post- Aranea resurrecting technically been a doomed timeline? She said-so herself that she was attempting to deviate from the alpha timeline.

She also mention that she can heal less tangible things like timelines and basically force a doomed timeline into being the main one.

Which is a really really horrible idea if you think about it for even a minute.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

She makes one of the Paradox Space stories the main timeline.

The two sites merge and nothing to ever the same again.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Filthy Haiku posted:

She also mention that she can heal less tangible things like timelines and basically force a doomed timeline into being the main one.

Which is a really really horrible idea if you think about it for even a minute.

Well, it's a really horrible thing to do IF it doesn't guarantee victory. Good thing she has the aspect of victory.

Come on people, what's common sense to you clearly isn't how a Serket would think.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Somebody remind me why any of that was happening.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RBA Starblade posted:

Sure, start reading from here until you get caught up

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

RBA Starblade posted:

It'd be easier if you break the whys down into pieces.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It could be a really horrible idea or a really great idea, depending on what the Alpha Timeline is defined by. If it's "Lord English is created and wins", well, end of comic. If it's "Lord English is created and destroyed, and all causality loops are fulfilled", yeah, crash and burn time.

Okay, after a rewatch, it occurs to me that who is still alive is very important, because we've seen some in-comic trivia that survivors in doomed timelines can pass along knowledge to past selves.

Alive list:
Terezi - trolls are notoriously hard to kill, and she is pissed.
Batterwitch - things would be too easy if the bad guy didn't get a second chance to fix things, too
Roxy - Rose passing on knowledge to herself via prophetic dying words care of Roxy is a great concept
Jade - already dead, but dumped on a quest bed, so ???. The info she's getting from Calliope right now is too important for her to lose it entirely.
Dirk - doesn't know poo poo, remains to be seen.
Aranea - as perma-undead, I have no idea how this would work.
John - going to survive either way, so...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CuddlyZombie posted:

It'd be easier if you break the whys down into pieces.

Mostly the stuff with the dogs and Aranea, I think. I didn't reread any of this for like a year and I forgot a lot of those parts.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Are we gonna have Vriskachat, the Aranea edition now?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Ramos posted:

Well, it's a really horrible thing to do IF it doesn't guarantee victory. Good thing she has the aspect of victory.

Come on people, what's common sense to you clearly isn't how a Serket would think.
"victory doesn't matter in a reality where all else is doomed to fail."

As much fun as Aranea has been (I always liked the character, myself) loving this poo poo up to this degree has been her goal, even if until this update I didn't think she had it in her. Heck, I thought her reaction to the Condesce was going to be saying "gently caress this poo poo" and taking the ring off, learning the hard lesson that she wasn't Mindfang and the )-(IC wasn't the best friend she knew for timeless eons.

Desperation can drive people to crazy things, though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can someone make a pic of Caliborn's defeated face?

I think it best describes this update.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

RBA Starblade posted:

Mostly the stuff with the dogs and Aranea, I think. I didn't reread any of this for like a year and I forgot a lot of those parts.

The short story is Aranea pulled a Vriska, with a dumb plan that endangers everybody. She killed mindcontrolled dog Jade as part of said plan, and the dogs don't know that Jane can bring her back to life. (Dave does.). They're stupidly trying to protect her corpse on the quest bed that won't do anything.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The dog people are basically fusions of Jade's pet, Bec, and two of the citizens from checkered planets. Basically the black wants the kids dead, the white one wants the black one dead, they were fighting until they saw Jade wherein they suddenly had loyalty instincts kick in and saved her body. Also, they didn't like Dave getting close and killed him because of it.

Aranea is just being a plot overriding poo poo gently caress. She also has a ring of immortality, is running around with a billion mind controlled trolls to give her infinite power gaming ability and is trying to unmake the existence of Lord English by loving everything up.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
...well, that was brutal. So, Dave, Jane, Jake, Karkat, Gamzee, Kanaya are dead, and Rose and Terezi could be dead very soon. Plus Jade. Hussie editing the crap out of his cast members, geez

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh god it's really hitting me.

Why Kanaya.

Why did you have to take her too. :qq:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VJeff posted:

Why Kanaya.

And Rose was watching. :cry:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read

RBA Starblade posted:

Dogs: Jade was crushed to death. Dave found out Jane could bring her back to life, and chased after Jade. The dogs, being part Bec, were fiercely loyal to Jade and didn't necessarily know that bit and defended her corpse accordingly

Aranea: To beat Lord English, she decided to sabotage the game against both the kids' designs and the Empress's and use her fate-healing powers to make the results the alpha timeline. She was smug as hell when she started her confrontation, but didn't foresee her opposition being so difficult: Dirk nearly ripped her soul out of her body, and Jane fought her even after being put asleep. As her situation grew more desperate, she took increasingly desperate actions turning into an arms race of destruction when the Condesce finally showed up.

(e;fb)

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

VJeff posted:

Why Kanaya.

This is really the worst part of this flash. Kanaya was the best.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Dave was trying to retrieve Jade from the dogs so she could be healed using the quest slab. As this was one player against two absurdly powerful end bosses, each so strong as to be able to eradicate universes, it was a super heroic thing to do and so when he's stabbed to death it's permanent.

That loving clown showed up and started causing carnage again, most notably loving up Terezi pretty bad. Karkat was trying to stop him, and got killed because being the best character doesn't change the fact he's also probably the weakest. Then Kanaya reduces the clown to clown chunks, which will probably incapacitate him at least five pages past the end of the flash before he's back, the lingering piece of poo poo.

Areana has been gathering power to prepare to face down Lord English and make a new reality that she controls, because she is a Serket and they think they can handle anything. This lets her do things like chuck planets about. Unfortunately, the Condense is even stronger than that and the crossfire between them kills Jake(heroic), Jane(just), and Kanaya(vaporized). Terezi gets torn up pretty badly by everyone but is probably still alive because she's tough and level a billion or something. The Lalondes have escaped as well.

I'm not super clear on Dirk's status, or what's left of the infinite ghost army--there's still a lot of characters floating around.

Meanwhile, John beats the gently caress out of Caliborn for ruining the lives of him and all his friends, and destroying all their universes. It's not clear just how much of what's happened in homestuck is his fault, but he's pretty horrible and deserves it anyway.

If anything, given that more characters survived that flash than not, we are facing the very real possibility that this won't be timefixed or changed and we've lost Karkat and Dave.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mystic Mongol posted:

we've lost Karkat and Dave.

noooo :smith:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The embarrassing thing is, a small part of me is worried that this won't be retconned by John/a doomed timeline. I'm sure it's a pretty drat slim chance it won't, but it would be such an upheaval that I could kind of see Hussie having it "stick."

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
All the troll deaths were pretty rough. They finally escaped their doomed session, spent some time in transit, then ate poo poo and died before having a meaningful impact on... Well, anything.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
The roughest thing of all is that Karkat didn't end with a thumb's up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bell_ posted:

I thought he was gonna go out with a middle finger. :smith:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bell_ posted:

Let's be honest, that would have been a middle finger.

edit: And CJacobs beats me to the punch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CuddlyZombie posted:

The short story is Aranea pulled a Vriska, with a dumb plan that endangers everybody. She killed mindcontrolled dog Jade as part of said plan, and the dogs don't know that Jane can bring her back to life. (Dave does.). They're stupidly trying to protect her corpse on the quest bed that won't do anything.

quote:

The dog people are basically fusions of Jade's pet, Bec, and two of the citizens from checkered planets. Basically the black wants the kids dead, the white one wants the black one dead, they were fighting until they saw Jade wherein they suddenly had loyalty instincts kick in and saved her body. Also, they didn't like Dave getting close and killed him because of it.

Aranea is just being a plot overriding poo poo gently caress. She also has a ring of immortality, is running around with a billion mind controlled trolls to give her infinite power gaming ability and is trying to unmake the existence of Lord English by loving everything up.

Oh right, I sort of remember now. Thanks guys!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, was the Condesce really pissed because her Heiress was killed?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I really liked the animation in this flash.
Also, wasn't the Mayor in one of those planets being chucke around?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Everyone is different.

No two people are not on fire.

Awwwww.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, was the Condesce really pissed because her Heiress was killed?
I'm sure there's some of that, but a large part is because her plans were foiled; she wanted the kids to win the session on her terms so that she could take the ultimate reward and restart her race in a universe hopefully beyond the reach of Lord English and maybe get her own freedom too.

That's why she showed up, and that's why she was furious even before Aranea murdered Jane.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cleretic posted:

Everyone is different.

No two people are not on fire.

Awwwww.

New title, please.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Bell_ posted:

I'm sure there's some of that, but a large part is because her plans were foiled; she wanted the kids to win the session on her terms so that she could take the ultimate reward and restart her race in a universe hopefully beyond the reach of Lord English and maybe get her own freedom too.

That's why she showed up, and that's why she was furious even before Aranea murdered Jane.

I regret that I have only TV Tropes language to express this, but Condesce and Araena threw down because it was the intersection of two Xanatos Gambits and at that point there's nothing to do but throw down and see whose Schwartz is bigger.

I don't regret using Spaceballs language to enhance that.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

"homestuck posted:

JANE: My calculations say that it is highly probable you are enticing me into a trap.
ARANEA: It's no trap, I assure you.
ARANEA: I simply cannot 8e killed.
ARANEA: You see, as long as a certain charm remains in my possession, I am immortal.
ARANEA: Even more immortal than usual!
JANE: More immortal than usual??
ARANEA: Yes.
JANE: .
JANE: That's stupid.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I can think of at least four different reasons why none of this is going to stick (this page reveals the one nobody else has mentioned here). But it obviously has to happen before it can be prevented.

Things in Homestuck have never been more real, nor have they ever been less real. When all of this stops being fake, only then will it be possible for everybody to pose as a team, because poo poo just got real.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 25, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love this comic so much

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

And then Dirk returns!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read

Cabbit posted:

I regret that I have only TV Tropes language to express this, but Condesce and Araena threw down because it was the intersection of two Xanatos Gambits and at that point there's nothing to do but throw down and see whose Schwartz is bigger.

I don't regret using Spaceballs language to enhance that.
I'm not an expert on this poo poo, but I thought the whole thing about the gambit is that you come out ahead even if you lose and that appearing to lose can hide a hidden victory you were counting on. I don't see Condie coming ahead in this.

The more think about it though, the more I think it doesn't have anything to do with Jane or plans.

"bitc)-( got my mot)-(erglubbin' bling"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I assumed she was mad because Jake was dead, and wasn't she supposed to groom him for Lord English?

Ergo she might be in trouble from the Boss.