Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I've compiled a list of fun and/or profitable cards to reanimate with Feldon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Tuktuk doesn't hit the graveyard more than once.

Of course, you could use something like Barrage of Expendables to sacrifice him. Same with Keiga the Tide Star, etc...

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Of course, you could use something like Barrage of Expendables to sacrifice him. Same with Keiga the Tide Star, etc...

I don't follow...Tuktuk leaves you a permenant 5/5 (although only 1 at a time) and a Keiga in the graveyard is a control magic each turn, all the Kamigawa dragons would be bonkers with Feldon.

I'd be looking at graveyard enablers or red looters to get them in the yard in the first place.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
The Primordials? The Kamigawa dragons?

Basically just fill the deck with self-mill/loot/discard and creatures with ETB/death effects, easy enough.

edit: forgot Myojins don't work

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 25, 2014

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Coucho Marx posted:

The Primordials? Myojin of Night's Reach? The Kamigawa dragons?

Basically just fill the deck with self-mill/loot/discard and creatures with ETB/death effects, easy enough.

Myojin won't work since it won't come into play with a divinity counter.

Edit: Tuktuk has been erratted to "When Tuktuk the Explorer dies, put a legendary 5/5 colorless Goblin Golem artifact creature token named Tuktuk the Returned onto the battlefield.", so if Voice works, then he will work.

Cozz fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 25, 2014

Sen-dart
Oct 9, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Tokens enter the graveyard then go poof right?

Sen-dart fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 25, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
No

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
I think a great way to exploit Feldon would be:

-Rituals
-Red "Looting"
-Threaten/Sacc Effects.

You spend the early turns looting and discarding reanimation threats, ritual up with Feldon in play and use Threaten Effects to steal blockers/untap Feldon, can also give Feldon haste in a pinch.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Missing Tyrant of Discord and Chancellor of the Forge and Bogardan Hellkite.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

I don't follow...Tuktuk leaves you a permenant 5/5 (although only 1 at a time) and a Keiga in the graveyard is a control magic each turn, all the Kamigawa dragons would be bonkers with Feldon.

I'd be looking at graveyard enablers or red looters to get them in the yard in the first place.

Hard cast Tuktuk, then he dies, cool! Get a free 5/5.
Next turn, Pay 2R, tap Feldon, bring Tuktuk back,
Tuktuk swings, no block, tuktuk disappears...

Without a sac engine, your opponent is in control of whether or not your token dies. Keiga is probably more likely to trigger, because taking 5 damage a turn is not something you can do for long.
ETB works every time, but Into-the-graveyard isn't always going to trigger.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
But he disappears because he "dies" (is sacrificed), no?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Yup, he will still see himself hit the graveyard, then he disappears because he's a token.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Eventually, yes. But there's no intervening clause that says to exile the token if it dies. It simply says to exile it at the beginning of the next end step. It can be sacrificed, at which point it will hit the graveyard (trigger any effects), and be exiled because it is a token.

e: I'm dumb.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 25, 2014

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I think you read Feldon wrong, part of the thing that makes him so good is that you SACRIFICE the token at turns end, it doesn't just exile...it always dies. Tuktuk will always get you a 5/5(although only 1 at a time since it's legendary). The dragons will always die unless your opponent can bounce or exile the token before the end step, wurmcoil engine always nets you tokens, etc.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Eventually, yes. But there's no intervening clause that says to exile the token if it dies. It simply says to exile it at the beginning of the next end step. It can be sacrificed, at which point it will hit the graveyard (trigger any effects), and be exiled because it is a token.

What the gently caress are you on about read the loving card.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Just uhh, reanimate this guy. Nothing bad will happen.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dungeon Ecology posted:

and be exiled because it is a token.

At first I thought you were misreading Feldon, but now I think you're misreading a lot of other things too.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Toshimo posted:

What the gently caress are you on about read the loving card.

I'm an idiot. :negative:

Next time I'll RTFC.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I was misreading Feldon. He just became much better to me.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Feldon says sacrifice it at the end step, so it'll hit the graveyard whether you sac it to an outlet or just let it go on its own. You don't need a sac outlet in play to take advantage of death effects, which is very convenient.

edit: beaten

double edit: you could potentially do something (terrible) with Umbral Mantle, Ashnod's/Phyrexian Altar, and a token generator like Krenko, Mob Boss or Emrakul's Hatcher... maybe. In mono-red, anyway.

triple edit: Ooooh! Feldon with Thornbite Staff equipped and Phyrexian Altar out. Anything copied that brings at least three total bodies with it can be copied/sacced forever, four or more and you get infinite mana out of it too.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 25, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pyronic posted:

This again some great pie shifting. Its a very red way of removing enchantments and large creatures. I really love what they have been doing with red lately.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The white Planeswalker Commander basically has to be Serra, right?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Myriad Truths posted:

I don't know the lore well enough to say if maybe Serra isn't a better fit for the white walker, or the Lithomancer, but he comes to mind as a solid possibility, since they did a lengthy bio on him and he was on a lot of the Magic 2015 promo materials.
What long bio? I never saw anything other than the UR article.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Speaking of which, she must have a nice thing going now that Kamigawa is basically guaranteed never to have anything disastrous happen again because we aren't getting a new block there. She can always just go home and relax if she feels like it. Everyone else's homes are either wrecked (Mirrodin, Zendikar, Dominaria, Alara) or not the greatest place in the first place (Innistrad, Tarkir).
Nah, that makes Kamigawa prime material for getting eaten by the Eldrazi. A place Magic nerds who care about the story are noticeably invested in, vaguely recognisable to other people, but not important to the product in the long run = perfect offscreen victim to big up whatever multiverse wrecker they're focusing on at the time, whether Eldrazi, Bolas, the Phyrexians, or someone new. The plane's wearing a metaphorical red shirt. With "Kill me" badly stencilled on the back by a sniggering Nicol Bolas.

Carded post-Menders by plane and status:

Dominaria (Karn, Venser, Nicol Bolas?) - post-apocalyptic.
Ravnica (Domri, Ral, Vraska, adopted by Jace) - trucking along, Guildpact restored.
Innistrad (Sorin, Tibalt) - Avacyn is Restored.
Alara (Ajani, Tezzeret) - partly wrecked, partly stable as far as we can tell.
Kamigawa (Tamiyo) - recovering from the Kami War under the Sisters' supervision.
Tarkir (Sarkhan, Ugin?) - watch this space
Theros (Xenagos) - he's dead and the gods are nuts.
Fiora (Dack) - Renaissance Italy-ing it up. Not direly troubled, I think. Do we care?
Zendikar (Nissa, Kiora, Lithomancer?) - Eldrazi'd.
Mirrodin (Koth) - Phyrexia'd
??? (Elspeth) - Phyrexia'd
??? (Chandra) - Unknown, but her life there was poo poo, her family's all dead, and she's not going back, so whatever.
??? (Liliana) - Unknown, but her life there was poo poo, her family's all dead, and she's not going back, so whatever.
??? (Jace) - Unknown, but his life there was poo poo, his family's all dead, and he's not going back, so whatever.
??? (Gideon) - Unknown, but his life there was poo poo, his family's all dead, and he's not going back, so whatever.
??? (Ashiok) - ???

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Kamigawa (Tamiyo) - recovering from the Kami War under the Sisters' supervision

That's actually pretty ancient history--at the end of the Kami War, Toshiro Umezawa gets blasted off of the plane and into Dominaria. His descendant Tetsuo Umezawa came about 400 years afterwards and fought Nicol Bolas, and *that* is hundreds of years ago too. I'm pretty sure Kamigawa is pretty well recovered in the ensuing millennium.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Pyronic posted:

My favorite idiot trick with this guy is putting Gift of Immortality on him and then killing him. A board wipe every turn for the rest of the game!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

vOv posted:

My favorite idiot trick with this guy is putting Gift of Immortality on him and then killing him. A board wipe every turn for the rest of the game!

I don't see how there is a board wipe every turn... I mean, he destroys -everything- lands included, then your opponents have no lands, no creatures... I guess if someone has a Sorin S.V. emblem, or against the player with the Kiora emblem (or venser emblem I guess solves it entirely?), they still has a shot? everyone else gets beat down by a 10/10.

However... yeah. Enemy Sorin emblem plus that combo is kind of beautiful.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Gensuki posted:

I don't see how there is a board wipe every turn... I mean, he destroys -everything- lands included, then your opponents have no lands, no creatures... I guess if someone has a Sorin S.V. emblem, or against the player with the Kiora emblem (or venser emblem I guess solves it entirely?), they still has a shot? everyone else gets beat down by a 10/10.

You arrange triggers so that when he comes back his effect kills himself again.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Gensuki posted:

kill it, comes back to battlefield immediately, stack the triggers such that gift of immortality comes back before the destroy everything trigger, repeat until your opponent's library is milled out

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Gensuki posted:

I don't see how there is a board wipe every turn...

Bearer of the Heavens has Gift of Immortality. Dies, immediately returns to life. Delayed triggers at start of next end step: Gift re-applies to Bearer, Bearer kills everything. Repeat ad nauseum.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Gensuki posted:

1: Place Gift of Immortality on Bearer of the Heavens.
2: Get him killed, say, during your main phase. He'll pop right back in thanks to Gift.
3: At the end step, both the 'destroy everything' and 'put Gift back on Bearer' will go on the stack. Arrange the triggers so Gift will come back first.
4: Gift comes back on Bearer, then everything is destroyed. Even though Gift and Bearer are destroyed at the same time, Gift still triggers, so Bearer will come back again. The next 'destroy everything' and 'put Gift back on Bearer' triggers now go on stack at the next end step, arrange them so Gift is first again, it all goes the same way. Repeat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sleep of Bronze posted:

??? (Chandra) - Unknown, but her life there was poo poo, her family's all dead, and she's not going back, so whatever.
??? (Liliana) - Unknown, but her life there was poo poo, her family's all dead, and she's not going back, so whatever.
??? (Jace) - Unknown, but his life there was poo poo, his family's all dead, and he's not going back, so whatever.
??? (Gideon) - Unknown, but his life there was poo poo, his family's all dead, and he's not going back, so whatever.

Heh, really?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Heh, really?

But what about Garruk?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Can we have return to timespiral where we get to see them as a little kid?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Watch the White Planeswalker reveal turn out to be Radiant. :getin:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I'm jamming feldon as a one of in my Imperial Painter deck and I'm feeling very good about it.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

The Lord of Hats posted:

That's actually pretty ancient history--at the end of the Kami War, Toshiro Umezawa gets blasted off of the plane and into Dominaria. His descendant Tetsuo Umezawa came about 400 years afterwards and fought Nicol Bolas, and *that* is hundreds of years ago too. I'm pretty sure Kamigawa is pretty well recovered in the ensuing millennium.
The tension's still there when we last saw them in Agents of Artifice (ie. post-Mending.) Everyone's still walking pretty softly around kami.
Thing I had forgotten and remembered while checking through AoA: moonfolk are apparently sexually compatible with humans, since one of the minor characters has soratami ancestry. Or the moonfolk scientists have been getting a little more Simic in their experiments, perhaps.

Gensuki posted:

But what about Garruk?
Oh, right. Thought about him, just forgot to type his entry out. OK, here's a surprise.

??? (Garruk) - Unknown, but his life there was poo poo, his family's all dead, and he's not going back, so whatever.

Rinkles posted:

Heh, really?
Yeah, kind of. Specifically:
Chandra - Born on a plane where fire magic was hated. This goes about as well as you'd expect for her. Crazy anti-pyromancy enforcers burn down her village and kill her family.

Liliana - Daughter of a great and noble family, but a carefree black sheep. Tried to heal her brother of a terrible poison, but it drove him mad as well as saving his life because she made a demon's deal to do it. Thus despised and driven out. Her family are now all long dead of old age, if nothing else, since she was a pre-Mending 'walker.

Jace - Mother never mentioned, father threw him out to learn under a shaman when he manifested magic. They conspired to keep Jace's Planeswalker status from him. When he discovered this, teenage Jace's anger issues ended up with him lobotomising the shaman. He ran, and is still wanted everywhere hundreds of miles of his old home. To be fair, I suppose there's an outside chance his family just hate him instead of being dead, depending how much time's passed.

Gideon - A bastard son who never knew his father and whose mother then died when he was young. Ended up in a gang and then in prison, where someone took him in, recognised his nascent Spark, and straightened him out. Life is probably less poo poo for him there than the others on their planes, but he doesn't really have a home there by any stretch of the imagination.

And Garruk - Mother never mentioned, father killed by the authorities for being a defiant peasant; Garruk came back from exile in the wilds after learning magic and bonding with the beasts to smash the selfsame authorities. Garruk therefore puts the trend of being an outlaw right back on track, which Gideon had slightly bucked by being a reformed outlaw.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Are the colours of mana recognised as distinct things in-multiverse. Does Chandra know she draws on red mana or just that she is a pyromancer?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are the colours of mana recognised as distinct things in-multiverse. Does Chandra know she draws on red mana or just that she is a pyromancer?

I think they were, but I'm not sure about what's the deal post-Mending.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Does your LGS charge tax on event entry fees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Planeswalkers certainly recognise that there are different types of mana, and also that mana bonds vary in terms of the type they provide, according to the place you're drawing the mana from. As far as referring to them by their literal colours, that's currently being left up to you to decide for yourself, but to let you decide for yourself, they have basically avoided making any characters do it.

• Locked thread