Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Azran posted:

I... don't remember that second one. :stare:

It's in the prison basement on your second go. It's also perspective-warped, so that when you first enter the room the Double Heads are all fifteen feet tall standing in front of a door the size of a small building, and by the time the Double Heads reach you they barely come up to your waist and the door is normal-sized.

It's one of the most disorienting places in the series and you're likely to miss its nuance entirely because OH MY GOD THE BAD THINGS ARE EVERYWHERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, that thing's creepy as hell. I have a thing about being watched, so those horrible abominations just standing there staring, pointing at me and whispering freaked me the gently caress out.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Outlast 2 is happening apparently

Like I mentioned when I was talking about Alien Isolation earlier the first one had a bunch of little but bad design decisions that made me not like it very much, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Maybe it'll be scary this time?????

e: oh i didnt say it in this thread at all lmao. well i did now

Monicro fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 24, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Here's hoping they add some new gameplay elements to Outlast 2. I liked the first game but it really need something other than running and hiding even if it was super rare single use items to distract or take out enemies.

Also all their talk about parkour was complete garbage.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I'd like it if they pushed the photojournalism angle much harder.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The whole conceit would be much more interesting if they included a rating system like in Dead Rising.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Horns posted:

I'd like it if they pushed the photojournalism angle much harder.

Yeah that kinda disappeared about halfway through didn't it. And then you turned into bees or whatever.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

Challenge Games
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
14. Scarygirl
15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
16. Closure
17. Alien Breed 2: Assault
18. F.E.A.R. Online
19. Ghostship Aftermath
20. Hell Yeah!

Bonus Games
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds
D. Haunted Memories
E. Serena
F. The Forgotten Ones

-----------------

21. Eldritch

The last few years have seen a huge influx of Roguelikes, games that feature permadeath and heavily randomized elements. Roguelike FPSes are few and far between, so finding a good one is a rare treat. Eldritch is just that, inspired by the works of Lovecraft and pitting you against dungeons of lurking horrors. It started out solid and has only grown moreso over time, thanks to the continuing efforts of its single developer.

Eldritch plops you into a mysterious library full of books that spirit you away to unearthly dungeons. The main game is three books linking to dungeons holding the souls of elder gods. Once you find the soul in one dungeon, the book to the next opens up. Each dungeon is three areas with three floors each, split into randomized chunks and scattered with items and enemies. You'll find artifacts that work as both currency and spellcasting reagents, weapons like knives and guns and dynamite, equippable gear that gives you very useful abilities, and altars that teach you new spells. These tools will help you navigate the floors and deal with the host of unsavory types trying to stop you from claiming the souls.

Despite the cosmic horror backdrop, Eldritch works best as an action game. The movement of your character is reminiscent of older games like Quake, letting you slide around at inhuman speeds. The enemies are a mixed bag, with some like the frogmen and cultists being little more than cannon fodder. You will encounter others like relentless, all-consuming shoggoths and tall creatures that cannot be killed that will complicate your travels and send shivers up your spine. Each book has a clever cross-section of foes that form a confounding package and demand stealth and caution. Some can be frustrating before you learn how to deal with them, but the challenge is well-balanced.

The enemies are the real source of fear and tension in the game, despite their cartoony appearance. A lot of games have tried to ape the look and feel of Minecraft, but Eldritch pulls it off well, imparting the same dread that skeletons and creepers do in tight spaces. The block grid nature of the levels can help you space your jumps and keep your bearings, and there are even tools for breaking through walls and creating new blocks. The sound design is minimal, and while a few of the ambient enemy noises don't work you will learn to dread those of the more troublesome foes.

In addition to the three main dungeons, there's an extended ice-themed dungeon based on At the Mountains of Madness, and a timed score-attack mode set in a hellish asylum. The developer added both of these post-launch, and continues to re-tune the game to great effect. I played Eldritch back when it launched and it is an even better game now, with more threatening enemies and better balance. As a Roguelike, an FPS, and even a horror game, I can earnestly recommend this one.

22. The Path

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to indie games, and I have a real fondness for less conventional games like Dear Esther and Gone Home. But The Path seriously pushed me to my limits of tolerance on this front. It's a game that is very obviously trying too hard, and lets its own mechanics get in the way of whatever point it's trying to make. Be warned, if you're going to give this one a chance at all, go play it yourself and come back because I'm going to spoil the hell out of it. I'm sure it's even less effective if you know what to expect.

You pick one of six girls fresh from Hot Topic to visit their grandmother in the woods. The game tells you up front to stay on the path, and here it commits possibly its greatest sin. My first time through I made the slow walk straight down the path to a surprisingly sinister house. Inside the pitch-black cottage the girl made her way to her corpse-like grandmother and laid down next to her. The game then informed me that I had found no items, unlocked no rooms, not encountered the wolf, and that I had failed.

So, to reiterate, the game told me to do a thing, I did the thing, and then it told me I failed.

YOU CAN'T DO THAT YOU FUCKS. If subversion of authority is a theme of your game then you need to introduce it in some way within the body of the game! I'm not going to read your goddamned treatise on your store page to figure out how to play your game. Fine, whatever, I picked another girl and walked straight off the path. The lighting and sound get creepy until you run across some random point of interest in the woods, like a theater stage or sofa or TV or pond. There are items to collect like knives and two-headed teddy bears. I met a little ballerina girl who spouted some nonsense about chaos and led me back to the path. After a whole bunch of exploring I went back to grandma's house. I got treated to a slightly different path through the rooms and then another screen that said I failed.

At this point I gave up trying to figure out what the game wants. Wandering the woods is interesting for a bit, but hamstrung by the glacial speed at which you move and the horrible sketchy-artsy filters the game vomits all over your view. There's really no common theme or identifiable symbolism to the junk you find, either. It's just weird for the sake of being weird. Or maybe it isn't... the store page says the optimal experience is to play for 6 hours. There are something like 13 items to collect and another 144 flowers you can pick, but I doubt very much I'm going to divine The Path's true meaning if I keep at it.

Appropriating the creepy side of Red Riding Hood isn't a bad idea for a game, but this one gets so caught up in trying to be clever and poignant that it all falls completely flat. Maybe there's something to find in here, but it's too drat boring and obtuse to get at it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Apologies if it's been talked about in the thread and I missed it, but does anyone have any experience with The Forest? It's on sale on Steam and I like the idea of survival horror in a big ol' forest full of mutants, but early access puts me off these days.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

I've never understood why this game tells you that you failed if you actually keep following the path, it seems like a minor thing at first glance but it actively muddies any kind of point the game could possibly be trying to make. Beyond that its fine for what it is (what it is being a very pretentious walking simulator, but enough stupid crazy poo poo happens in it that i actually bothered to keep playing it instead of giving up like i did with dear esther and similar games).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Following instructions: fail.

Getting raped by the wolf and limping away bloody and injured: success.

:iiam:

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Unless it is telling the player to do something they would never do under any other circumstances to make a point about lack of player agency in objective based video games but that is babies first video game subversion and for some reason i'm convinced those guys are more clever than a flash game maker.

Eh gently caress it i'm probably thinking about it harder than they did.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Tale of Tales feels like one huge troll against gamers and the games industry, but nope they're actually sincere, they are that pretentious.

I'm honestly hoping, their upcoming game, Sunset, is good though, because an expanded take on Gone Home that changes what's in the apartment due to your actions the previous night sounds neat.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 24, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Apologies if it's been talked about in the thread and I missed it, but does anyone have any experience with The Forest? It's on sale on Steam and I like the idea of survival horror in a big ol' forest full of mutants, but early access puts me off these days.
Bad. Really, really bad. Hilarious to watch, but absolutely unplayable.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

:stare:

That is a special kind of bad right there. I think I've had nightmares like the last half of that video before.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Zombie Samurai posted:

In addition to the three main dungeons, there's an extended ice-themed dungeon based on At the Mountains of Madness, and a timed score-attack mode set in a hellish asylum. The developer added both of these post-launch, and continues to re-tune the game to great effect. I played Eldritch back when it launched and it is an even better game now, with more threatening enemies and better balance. As a Roguelike, an FPS, and even a horror game, I can earnestly recommend this one.

It's cool that the dev has done this. He made mention that when the game was released he considered it done as a simple, small project but people liked it so much that he's gone back and added additional content for free.

Cardiovorax posted:

loving :aslol:

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.

Zombie Samurai posted:

[/b]

If you were around for the awesome summer sale with the tickets and prizes, you probably have this game in your backlog because I think it was the only full game you could get with tickets. Obviously I've been sitting on it for years, and despite its apparent similarities to Shadowgrounds (which I love, get it) I've never given it a try. But my internet was out last night and I didn't have much time to play so I figured it was finally time.

If you're interested in this kind of horror, I can recommend a blast from the past: Incubation (Or: Battle Isles Phase Four or something, don't even know if it was ever released outside of Germany), which, at its time, had a really tense atmosphere. The story is pretty cliche (futuristic colony in space gets slowly overrun by an alien race that multiplies extremely fast), but the gameplay was good, mixing turnbased strategy alá Jagged Alliance with maps that invited you to think about your approach in their puzzle-like quality.
It's old and the graphics didn't age too well, but I vividly remember how on-my-toes I felt for the whole campaign, especially because you can occassionally choose multiple (mutually exclusive) paths between missions, which reward you differently. The interesting part was how you start to care and fear for the safety of your troop of faceless marines, as losing anyone could potentielly gently caress you up in later mission, and you never know when you get reinforcements. And the game is HARD, so loosing marines is a real threat. It felt like a battle against attrition of your troops to a stream of neverending alien hordes.

I will put a disclaimer down here that I don't know how well the game holds up now, ESPECIALLY here among all the horror titles - just thought it might interest anyone who enjoys the atmosphere in games like Shadowground.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Oh i remember Amnesia, and yea, that's really scary.
The fact that you don't have a way to defend yourself with any kind of weapons makes the game really scary to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

This is the very first build and the game has updated 18 times since this video was posted. Literally the first couple bugs they brought up (being unable to chop wood, head missing, thumb clipping through lighter, enemies dropping through cave, clipping through plane) were fixed on the first or second patch.

I don't own the game but it's not fair to call it unplayable when the dev has pushed out updates practically weekly. It's an early access game so yeah, you're not getting a complete project, but out of all the EA games this one at least shows the devs give a poo poo.

e: I wouldn't be surprised if the devs watched that video before rolling out the first patch because their bugfix list is practically the entire thing.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 24, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

This is the very first build and the game has updated 18 times since this video was posted. Literally the first couple bugs they brought up (being unable to chop wood, head missing, thumb clipping through lighter, enemies dropping through cave, clipping through plane) were fixed on the first or second patch.

I don't own the game but it's not fair to call it unplayable when the dev has pushed out updates practically weekly. It's an early access game so yeah, you're not getting a complete project, but out of all the EA games this one at least shows the devs give a poo poo.

e: I wouldn't be surprised if the devs watched that video before rolling out the first patch because their bugfix list is practically the entire thing.
I don't really pay attention to early access games, I just linked that video because it's funny as hell. It'd still look like a poo poo game to me even if it was completely bug free, though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

al-azad posted:

Yeah that video's been around a while. On the other hand this shows how early access can kinda make a game shoot itself in the foot, because a lot of people's impressions have now been set.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah that video's been around a while. On the other hand this shows how early access can kinda make a game shoot itself in the foot, because a lot of people's impressions have now been set.

I'm not going to defend the launch but they wouldn't have put the game on a special Steam sale unless they were proud of its current condition.

Overdude
Mar 8, 2013

ANGRYGREEK posted:

If you're interested in this kind of horror, I can recommend a blast from the past: Incubation (Or: Battle Isles Phase Four or something, don't even know if it was ever released outside of Germany), which, at its time, had a really tense atmosphere. The story is pretty cliche (futuristic colony in space gets slowly overrun by an alien race that multiplies extremely fast), but the gameplay was good, mixing turnbased strategy alá Jagged Alliance with maps that invited you to think about your approach in their puzzle-like quality.
It's old and the graphics didn't age too well, but I vividly remember how on-my-toes I felt for the whole campaign, especially because you can occassionally choose multiple (mutually exclusive) paths between missions, which reward you differently. The interesting part was how you start to care and fear for the safety of your troop of faceless marines, as losing anyone could potentielly gently caress you up in later mission, and you never know when you get reinforcements. And the game is HARD, so loosing marines is a real threat. It felt like a battle against attrition of your troops to a stream of neverending alien hordes.

I will put a disclaimer down here that I don't know how well the game holds up now, ESPECIALLY here among all the horror titles - just thought it might interest anyone who enjoys the atmosphere in games like Shadowground.

I think Incubation really holds up well today, despite its early 3d-graphics. Especially if you're a fan of turn-based strategy/puzzle games. You can get it from Gog http://www.gog.com/game/battle_isle_platinum which includes the expansion pack (which really amps the difficulty to bullshit levels)

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Challenge Games
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
14. Scarygirl
16. Closure
18. F.E.A.R. Online
19. Ghostship Aftermath
20. Hell Yeah!
21. Eldritch
22. The Path

Bonus Games
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds
D. Haunted Memories
E. Serena
F. The Forgotten Ones

-----------------

23. Shadowgrounds: Survivor

(No screenshots, I had a terrible time getting this running on my current system and the store page ones are no good.)

I've talked plenty about Shadowgrounds, one of my favorite near-mindless alien shooting games ever. I was pretty excited to dig into the sequel as soon as I finished the original, but sadly that excitement didn't last long.

Where the original followed the tense adventure of on ridiculously capable, wise-cracking mechanic, Survivor splits its attention between several, well, survivors. Just about every level shifts your perspective to a new character, each with their own weapons and traits. This might sound interesting but all it does is limit your options in combat when the original gave you nearly a dozen weapons to swap between by the end of the game. Some of the scenarios really make it sting, too. One of the characters is a military sniper, armed with a powerful, single-shot rifle, pistol, and bombs. The second time you get control of her, you have to fend off waves of numerous aliens in a cramped sewer level. Who the hell thinks something like that is a good idea.

Really it's the levels that drag Survivor down the furthest. Gone are the open, sprawling maps of the original colony, replaced with linear levels punctuated with cutscenes. There are secrets to be found but never far from the main path (and the upgrade system is less interesting this time around anyway). The game never captures the scope of its predecessor, instead focusing more on a limited cinematic experience. Again, I don't know who thought this was a good idea because Shadowgrounds had excellent combat and exploration but a thin, corny story and Survivor doesn't get any better. The new characters in particular are pretty weak... the sniper I mentioned earlier is one of the worst hardass female archetypes I have ever seen.

On the plus side, the graphics are more polished and the combat is still just as good, assuming you like your character. It's just not nearly as tight a package, and I can't really recommend it even to those that appreciate Shadowgrounds as much as I did.

24. Ghost Master

Are you one of those people who played The Sims just to torment your little residents? Because I think someone made Ghost Master just for you. As the titular master of ghosts, you take an assortment of spooks and specters into different homes and buildings with the intent of driving out the residents. Each ghost has specific things it can haunt, like electronics or damp things, and several powers that unlock as you scare more and more people. There are also ghosts you can recruit during missions by completing certain tasks, foes to overcome like police and ghostbuster-types, and high scores to shoot for in each level. There are some clever locales to haunt too, like sorority houses, mystery mansions, cabins in the woods, schools, and more.

The game plays like a cross between real-time strategy and puzzle. You can give your ghosts orders and have to manage your spooking power between them, but scaring off mortals and completing tasks is more a matter of getting the right ghost in the right place. It's a terribly charming little game that is unfortunately starting to show its age, and can be a bit frustrating if certain people or ghosts don't path the way you need them to. Since you have no direct control over movement, tasks that require specific placement can be a chore to complete. Minor gripes aside, this a is perfect lighthearted game for the season, and one that most likely anyone can enjoy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ghost Master is great. It's a shame there aren't more games like it. Sure, there are other games where you play ghosts and scare people off, but I really liked the strategy/Sims style of Ghost Master.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Two things I found really annoying about Ghost Master was the lack of being able to save (not a problem in the early levels but a massive one in the loving massive and long later ones) and the fact that replaying the old levels was framed as you going back in time so they didn't let you use any new ghosts you'd unlocked in subsequent levels. Luckily there's a mod that addresses the latter problem but the lack of saving can really suck.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

al-azad posted:

I keep trying to play this thing every few weeks and every time something goes wrong and I have to go "oh well I'll try again in a week or so". It does get progressively better but it's one of those games where you do the same survival things over and over again each time you start and it really ruins the tension.
I really do enjoy what I play but it does suck you out of the game when the terrifying cannibal you're running from just stands there frozen on fire and is now an infinite source of light that you use as a permanent camp fire.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

Two things I found really annoying about Ghost Master was the lack of being able to save (not a problem in the early levels but a massive one in the loving massive and long later ones) and the fact that replaying the old levels was framed as you going back in time so they didn't let you use any new ghosts you'd unlocked in subsequent levels. Luckily there's a mod that addresses the latter problem but the lack of saving can really suck.

Yeah it was annoying that you can't actually use the big monster you unlock in the second last level that the entire game has been building towards in anything but the bonus mission where you barely get to make use of him at all. It would have been cool to be able to come up with new solutions to older levels by using ghosts/abilities you didn't have when you played them the first time through. Ghost Master is a game that really needs a sequel, and honestly I'm surprised it hasn't gotten one considering that it was pretty well received when it came out. Did it just not sell very well?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ghost Master is a really fun and unique game, but it gets monotonous and boring rather too quickly. There are also a few gimmick levels that just don't work well with the game's promise. Being plunked into a setting full of frat students or a police station or hospital, with plenty of marks to scare, works just fine. Getting dumped in the woods and hoping the NPCs will randomly wander where you need them to be to fulfill your objectives, though? Not so much.

Still, it's definitely one of my personal recommendations, like Stubbs the Zombie. It's worth playing just for how unique and unlike anything else it is.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Ghost Master is a really fun and unique game, but it gets monotonous and boring rather too quickly. There are also a few gimmick levels that just don't work well with the game's promise. Being plunked into a setting full of frat students or a police station or hospital, with plenty of marks to scare, works just fine. Getting dumped in the woods and hoping the NPCs will randomly wander where you need them to be to fulfill your objectives, though? Not so much.

Still, it's definitely one of my personal recommendations, like Stubbs the Zombie. It's worth playing just for how unique and unlike anything else it is.

Yeah, that's why I think it could really use a sequel. It kind of reminds me of the Hitman series in a way, where the best missions are just the ones that give you a ton of different tools to accomplish a fairly straightforward objective, but the developers keep throwing in gimmicky "plot" missions where there's basically only one solution. Hitman eventually got it right after a couple of sequels with Blood Money (then somehow screwed it up again in Absolution but whatever), so it would be great to see Ghost Master do the same thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I agree, but I'm not holding my breath. It's just too niche for someone to invest a substantial amount of money into. The publisher doesn't even exist anymore, I wouldn't even know who holds the rights right now. Kickstarter is more or less the only option, and that rarely works out all that well.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, that's why I think it could really use a sequel. It kind of reminds me of the Hitman series in a way, where the best missions are just the ones that give you a ton of different tools to accomplish a fairly straightforward objective, but the developers keep throwing in gimmicky "plot" missions where there's basically only one solution. Hitman eventually got it right after a couple of sequels with Blood Money (then somehow screwed it up again in Absolution but whatever), so it would be great to see Ghost Master do the same thing.

Absoultion had tons of ways to do poo poo and kill people. I can only recall the butcher boss as a boss fight where you're forced to do it one way. The worst part was the entire plot and the final boss. You kill every single other boss by hand/gun in game. The final boss is you kicking down a door and then it plays an anticlimatic cutscene where you kill the guy after getting the plot.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

It's in the prison basement on your second go. It's also perspective-warped, so that when you first enter the room the Double Heads are all fifteen feet tall standing in front of a door the size of a small building, and by the time the Double Heads reach you they barely come up to your waist and the door is normal-sized.

It's one of the most disorienting places in the series and you're likely to miss its nuance entirely because OH MY GOD THE BAD THINGS ARE EVERYWHERE

I accidentally found that door last night while playing. I had picked up some key in front of the water wheel and the guide said to go through the portal (which I hadn't found) so I went through the nearest door. I'm walking down the hall and the door at the end keeps getting bigger and bigger and I'm getting smaller. I turned right around and ran back to find the portal.

Also, those double face monsters, holy Christ, those are not ok. First time I saw one it just stood there and pointed at me, and I thought, "Oh well that's not so ba....OH gently caress OH gently caress IT'S COMING RIGHT AT ME RUN GOD drat YOU RUN!"

Now whenever I see them it's just me shouting NOOOOOOOOOPE as I run away from them.

Gotta say, the more I play The Room, the more and more it's kinda growing on me, it's like because the combat is so god awful, running away becomes the best option and that actually works in its favor. Except those guys that come out of the walls and smack you, gently caress those guys. Also I've noticed that P.T. took a loooooooot of elements from The Room.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Weird Games days 1-4
Weird Games days 5-8
Weird Games days 9-12
Weird Games days 13-16
Weird Games days 17-18
Weird Games days 19-21

22. Cursed Mountain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q16zLhqzVCw

I mentioned that Fear Effect stands mostly alone in being a game about Chinese mythology. Now I'm going to talk about Cursed Mountain, probably the only video game I know at all about Tibetan mythology. It was a quiet release a Wii before it got another quiet release on PC (which you can buy on GamersGate).

Cursed Mountain wears its inspiration on its sleeve. From the aesthetics to the controls you can see touches of Silent Hill and Alone in the Dark. The presentation is certainly its greatest strength. Even with the weaknesses of the Wii there's a lot of detail placed in designing a world that's visually unexplored in games. Creatures and environments are as good as the Wii gets and the sound design is phenomenal. It's not a scary game but it can be pretty thrilling. The integration of mechanics into the religion fueled story add to the immersion, making far more sense than a traditional survival horror which hand wave why you find shotgun shells in a child's bedroom.

Unfortunately it's an old-school survival horror. Made for the Wii. I haven't played it on PC but the Wiimote isn't as responsive as I would like. Like 99% of survival horror games I've played I don't want to participate in combat. Cursed Mountain gives you the crutch of a health absorption ability, basically allowing you to heal without spending incense (the game's limited currency sort to speak), but it doesn't make up for the occasional uninteresting encounter.

23. Majyuuou
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD9A4HbmbuE

Let's continue the Asian mythology with Majyuuou, literally translated to Demon Beast King. You're Abel and some rear end in a top hat named Bayer sacrificed your family to revive the King of Demons. In the first loving encounter of the game you nearly die and your wife's ghost infuses you with power so you can kick Bayer's rear end and travel through hell to get your daughter back.

Majyuuou reminds me of a cross between Splatterhouse, Castlevania, and Altered Beast. You start out with only a pistol but as you defeat bosses you transform into demonic forms with different abilities. Your wife's spirit (I guess?) follows you in the form of an "option" from a traditional SHMUP. Frankly the gameplay is very basic and the game on the easy side. The highlight here is the gorgeous visuals. Like Rocket Knight Adventures, the game's design feels like an excuse to throw as many bosses at you as possible and with the large variety of creepy and interesting boss fights that's no hit against the game.

It sucks that Nitnendo's hard policies were still in effect. Had Majyuuou come to America we'd be looking on it like Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest as a cult classic.

24. KISS: Psycho Circus - The Nightmare Child
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz2eJ2c2hLA

What's your favorite 2000 first person shooter? Maybe it's Soldier of Fortune, that was a good one. Perfect Dark? No One Lives Forever, Counter-Strike, TimeSplitters, Gunman Chronicles, Medal of Honor Underground... Daikatana? 2000 was a pretty good year for shooters, don't you think?

Well gently caress that, my favorite shooter was KISS: Psycho Circus! Based on the Todd McFarlane comic you're a member of a KISS cover band given super powers to battle monsters or some poo poo, I don't know! Released a year before Serious Sam, this game was like a predecessor to the trash-mob slaying platform shooter that Serious Sam and Painkiller would later expand. There's almost a Gauntlet aspect to it as you have to hunt down enemy spawn points to keep them from flooding the map. It's more or less an above average shooter but the aesthetic saves it from total mediocrity. I can't think of a single shooter with as many gross and weird monsters as this game, most of them inspired by old circus acts. Each chapter has you play as a different character who have their own unique weapons like a laser whip and dragon head that vomits lava.

I guess if there's one thing to take away from these last couple of games I've been playing is style over substance. I have a pretty high tolerance for "meh" games but a lot of these appeal to the part of me that just craves stylistically appealing games. I'll reiterate this when I'm done with the list but if given a choice between a generic "good" game and a unique "bad" game I'm probably going to choose the bad game. I'd rather have something I can enjoy visually dissecting and talking about than a game I'm pleased with for 4 hours before it gets shelved forever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm a big SNES collector, and I'm super surprised I've never heard of Majyuuou. It looks awesome though, so I'm definitely going to import it, thanks a bunch!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

You're Abel and some rear end in a top hat named Bayer sacrificed your family to revive the King of Demons.
If I was more petty than I am, I would be offended by all those random evil Germans in Japanese video games. They're hardly in a position to judge.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
The game also looks like it's more than a little inspired by the Devilman series.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Zombie Samurai posted:

21. Eldritch

Minecraft roguelike lovecraft indie game combines nearly every cliche into something I should hate but this looks pretty interesting and your recommendations have been solid.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Challenge Games
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
14. Scarygirl
16. Closure
18. F.E.A.R. Online
19. Ghostship Aftermath
20. Hell Yeah!
21. Eldritch
22. The Path
23. Shadowgrounds: Survivor
24. Ghost Master

Bonus Games
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds
D. Haunted Memories
E. Serena
F. The Forgotten Ones

-----------------

25. Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut

Silent Hill has surely cast one of the longest shadows over the horror genre. Few major studios have attempted to capture its success with psychological horror (and not even Konami themselves can regain what they had), but indie developers are always ready to attempt their own thought-provoking thriller. Lone Survivor sticks about as close as you can to the Silent Hill legacy without calling down a lawsuit on itself, but the retro presentation and more immersive mechanics help make it a worthy game on its own.

You are cast as the last survivor of a mystery plague holed up in a decaying apartment complex. Uninterested in dying alone, you set out from your safe space to find someone, anyone, to share your company. Unfortunately, the whole place is overrun with gangly, fleshy abominations that would just love to eat your masked face. Owing to the retro 2D style this plays out more as an adventure game than even the restrained action of Silent Hill. Combat is something to be avoided if at all possible, taking alternate routes or skulking around with your flashlight off, or creating distractions with rotting meat. However, you can't get through the game without some fighting. Your weapon of choice is a handgun which you can fire straight, upwards, or downwards, and the enemies take some interesting locational damage. It's a good combat system supported by an intelligent balance of combat and sneaking.

Having your face eaten isn't your only concern, however. Your character gets hungry and tired as well, and you have to scavenge for supplies to keep yourself going. You'll find bags of chips and tins of beans along with more suspect foods, and as the game progresses you can combine foods for different effects and even do some rather involved cooking. Sleeping is necessary (and is also how you save your game), but coffee and pills can keep you running and have some additional interesting effects on gameplay. It's an interesting consideration to add because items are finite but you grow hungry and tired over real time, so you have to constantly be moving the story forward. After some early uncertainty I've come to really appreciate this mechanic, because it pushes you to forge ahead into the darker, more threatening areas in search of food. It adds a genuine sense of urgency that helps justify the terrible risks your character takes.

All of this is held together by a fantastically dark atmosphere, but one not without its holes. Most areas are VERY dark without your flashlight, but light attracts the creatures. The whole complex is rotting away, and there are far more sinister things taking the place apart as well. The sound direction is excellent, with uncomfortable cues for the monsters and some excellent atmospheric pieces while exploring. The writing is good, though I feel the atmosphere does take a bit of a hit when your character is speaking with certain... things. I think I know where the story is going with these elements I won't expand upon, but for now they feel a bit out of place. Additionally the low-res look doesn't always work in its favor, sometimes making things look a little too cartoonish or obscuring something that would otherwise appear horrifying.

These are just small nitpicks, though. Lone Survivor takes its inspiration from Silent Hill and runs with it, creating its own atmospheric experience that terrifies and intrigues. I knew I had played something solid when I finished an hour session around midnight, my wife asked me to check on the laundry in the basement, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Yeah, I think I'll check it in the morning, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still can't see that mask as anything other than a really silly grin.