Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I genuinely did not realize Vladivostok was so close to Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Djeser posted:

That's a fascinating convergence of anime nerd and Roman history nerd.

A bad Roman history nerd at that: the battle of Teutoburg Forest was in 9 AD, not in 14. And why on earth would he go from northern Germany to Rome via Greece? :psyduck:

(As if that were the only things horribly wrong with his story :v:)

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
You mean like dragging an entire legion off to die with him? Seriously how do people even come up with these lovely ideas?

Never mind, it's :tvtropes: I don't really care.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
clearly you haven't read The Grapes of Wrath if you think that FoE is majorly disinteresting.

clearly you haven't read The Grapes of Wrath if you think that FoE is majorly disinteresting.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

corn in the bible posted:

I read these words but cannot parse them.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Grizzwold posted:

You mean like dragging an entire legion off to die with him? Seriously how do people even come up with these lovely ideas?

Never mind, it's :tvtropes: I don't really care.

Well of course an entire legion would agree to follow him thousands upon thousands upon thousands of miles from anyone and anything they'd ever known, to some possibly non-existent place they'd never even heard of - that was in fact literally completely unknown outside of China at this time (with the possible exception of some incredibly well-read Sogdians) - based purely on the word of a non-Latin Greek oracle. I mean how else would they ever get to go to the Promised Land and see all the cool anime?

Think about it. I bet their moms are always telling them to go to bed when they want to stay up and watch anime. But if they go to Japan they'll be able to watch all the anime they want and no one will tell them to go to bed or to stop ogling six year olds. Wouldn't you give your life for that? Japan is a Mecca for Otakus, you know.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

drunkscriblerian posted:

Glad this thread finally got opened for discussion. Anyway, going to play with all the questions Karalora asked - hopefully - and use one of my favorite movies as an example of gender equality in media done right...James Cameron's Aliens.

This may seem an odd example, but here's why I hold it up. You can gender-flip any of the characters in the movie and thanks to the context we're given, all of them still remain believable. For almost all the characters you would not have to change much of anything if you wanted to do this. random aside: about the only sticky point would be Vasquez, and the only line that would have to change is Hudson's quip about her being "ever mistaken for a man". While the line is funny, you could cut it and there's no real loss to the plot...so I'd count that as a change easily made.

All of the characters have good solid reasons for being in the plot that have nothing to do with their gender. We have competent members of both genders, and at very few times is gender even an issue.

Another funny point; if I were going to make Aliens for a 2013 audience (and it was a standalone story) I'd make Ripley a man. Why? Because about the only part of the movie that has not aged well is Ripley's Mama Bear tendencies. Sure, it was cool in 1986 when the movie came out - and most of us love that one line.

But these days you can't swing a cat without having an Action Girl try to kick your rear end for doing it, and the whole "woman goes Hulk to protect children" thing has gotten a bit stale. For a modern audience I think it'd be cooler having a man doing that job. A good many fathers I know have problems with the lack of media father figures taking the job seriously, and seeing one would make them happy.

And playing back into what I said above, you could make Hicks a woman and change absolutely nothing about his dialogue or actions...yet the character would still work. Same thing with Ripley. Even the romantic sub-plot between the two of them stays intact.

My take; the best way to tell if a character is stable is to gender-flip them and see what happens. If they still "work", that is they stay believable and sympathetic (or unsympathetic in the case of characters designed to be antagonists), the character is probably realistic. If the character suddenly changes drastically, there's probably a stereotype being employed somewhere.

:lol: drunk scriblerian is one of the "god-tier writers" who hangs out on that forum :lol:

NobbytheSheep
Sep 2, 2011
I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now
No, Aliens really does not need to be remade with a man in Ripley's place. There's hardly a lack of male action heroes, either. I'm pretty sure loads of them are dads.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Harime Nui posted:

:lol: drunk scriblerian is one of the "god-tier writers" who hangs out on that forum :lol:

Holy poo poo. This really does irrationally make me angry as poo poo for some reason. The whole "Mama Bear Tendencies" (which I'm sure has a tvtropes article, I can't be assed to check) is explained in the directors cut at least because to her she only recently lost her daughter. It's just loving staggering how sexist this rear end in a top hat is and he doesn't even realize it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NobbytheSheep posted:

No, Aliens really does not need to be remade with a man in Ripley's place. There's hardly a lack of male action heroes, either. I'm pretty sure loads of them are dads.

I will say, one case where this was reversed?

As in a wife put in the place of the dad?

Kinda really sucked.

Silent Hill, the first movie changed from a man to a woman because the director didn't believe a dad could love his child enough to go through hell.

He then proceeded to make her utterly useless, and the only thing she ever did was bring Satan into a church so she wouldn't have to do anything on her own. Because why would your main character need agency!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Tracula posted:

Holy poo poo. This really does irrationally make me angry as poo poo for some reason. The whole "Mama Bear Tendencies" (which I'm sure has a tvtropes article, I can't be assed to check) is explained in the directors cut at least because to her she only recently lost her daughter. It's just loving staggering how sexist this rear end in a top hat is and he doesn't even realize it.

He's colour gender blind.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Harime Nui posted:

Hahahaha oh god that's amazing and awful all at once.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Tropes that apply to drunkscriblerian:

Abusively Sexy Woman: I attract them, sometimes two and three at a time. I even married one. I don't recommend that approach; no matter how good the sex might be, it isn't worth the trouble.
All Girls Want Bad Boys: True enough that I made a dating career out of it...
Anguished Declaration of Love: I tried this once. It did not work, then I laughed at myself for a while and found better ways.
Artistic Stimulation: I write best on several glasses of quality absinthe.
BSOD: When my wife left me for somebody else. I Got Better, though.
Bad rear end: Debatable. I've been called such but I'm not sure I buy it. Scrye could probably kick my rear end up between my ears, for example.
Badass Mustache
Badass Longhair: What I wanted to be (and occasionally pretended to be via LARP).
Brilliant, but Lazy:
Chivalrous Pervert: I prefer to think of it as being an "imperfect gentleman".
Coitus Ensues: A quote; "<sigh> only you could tumble into a threesome with your good hand tied behind your back." I prefer to think of it as macking by accident.
Crowning Moment Of Awesome: My 27th birthday party. 'nuff said.
Crowning Music of Awesome: Motley Crue's "Too Fast For Love" playing during the incident at my 27th birthday party.
Crowning Moment of Funny: "Aleena, the Potato Queen!" ...Also counts as a Mushroom Samba as LSD was involved.
Darker and Edgier: Life got interesting there for a while...and not in the makes-a-good-story-later kind of way.
Drink Order: Rusty Nail, replace the Scotch with Maker's Mark and don't eye-gently caress me for ordering it that way.
Drowning My Sorrows: Did this for a while and discovered that the little fuckers are excellent swimmers.
Drunken Song: The Wurzels, "Morning Glory". You hear that and you know I'm snozzled.
Erudite Stoner: Replace weed with booze, and yes.
Ethical Slut: Yup.

quote:

"Funny Aneurysm" Moment: When I was in my early 20s I got the nickname "Whitesnake" because of my long blond hair, party habits and relentless fistful of unsubtle double entendres. I took the name, made it my own, and for several years I was known primarily as that. Two years ago (at 29), I looked up one of those "Famous People you share birthdays with" sites. One of them was David Coverdale. Who is he? The lead singer of Whitesnake.

quote:

May-December Romance: A couple, though they never went anywhere. What can I say, I like younger girls...there's a better chance no one's ruined them yet.

Actually gently caress this, I'm out.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
What a cool and funny wise-guy for the kids on TVTropes to look up to

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Burkion posted:

I will say, one case where this was reversed?

As in a wife put in the place of the dad?

Kinda really sucked.

Silent Hill, the first movie changed from a man to a woman because the director didn't believe a dad could love his child enough to go through hell.

He then proceeded to make her utterly useless, and the only thing she ever did was bring Satan into a church so she wouldn't have to do anything on her own. Because why would your main character need agency!

In all fairness, that's about the role the character had in the original, albeit with a lot more monster fights inbetween.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.

Ague Proof posted:

Actually gently caress this, I'm out.
Thank god they don't have a page for 'Likes Younger Girls'.

But they do have a page that has nothing to do with tropes or storytelling but just Dungeons and Dragons. Behold the glory that is The Six Stats page! It's literally just a excerpt straight out of an introductory chapter of an DnD Player's Handbook.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

You know what element of fiction that often goes unnoticed? The camera angle. Especially videogames since it's so basic we all take it for granted. In film a person with a good eye for shots can show visual metaphors in ways words cannot describe as well. So TvTropes, since you like to talk for days on end on videogames, shouldn't your pages be filled with spergy depth of how each kind of view would affect gameplay and it's effects to the audience?

Side View posted:

Also known as Front View, this is a video game perspective in which all objects are viewed strictly from the side, with little or no amount of their tops or bottoms visible. This is the classic perspective for 2D Platform Games, Metroidvania games, Fighting Games and Horizontal Scrolling Shooters. This perspective has fallen out of favor with modern 3D games.

Depth Perplexion almost always comes with this view; for example note that in the picture to the right Mega Man and the turret enemies can shoot bullets "through" the walls. Cheated Angles are also very likely to be encountered.

This is all they have for an angle. Despite browsing all five iterations of these threads from the very beginning, this is the one that actually can make me sad withot evoking rape, senseless gore, abuse of kids, poor use of inquiry and mspaint badges. They can go in depth and make something interesting, but that would take too much effort. I'll just shove ponies in every iteration of fiction ever.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Harime Nui posted:

A good many fathers I know have problems with the lack of media father figures taking the job seriously, and seeing one would make them happy.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

Post Your Concept

Nihonnia!

:japan::hf::hist101:

Just wait, I'm sure the paragons of New Rome and last descendants of the legion are a Five Man Band of schoolkids :c-people:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

quote:

What can I say, I like younger girls...

New thread title right there. Sums up the entire site.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Strategic Tea posted:

Just wait, I'm sure the paragons of New Rome and last descendants of the legion are a Five Man Band of schoolkids :c-people:

The funniest part is I could see a story about Roman merchants visiting ancient China being really goddamn cool and that actually did happen, though infrequently. But then he brings Japan into it and the whole ludicrous mighty general thing...A story about a bunch of Romans exploring an amazing foreign empire halfway across the world (or Chinese people coming to Rome) would be fun. Why would you bring it into the modern day, anyway?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Night10194 posted:

The funniest part is I could see a story about Roman merchants visiting ancient China being really goddamn cool and that actually did happen, though infrequently. But then he brings Japan into it and the whole ludicrous mighty general thing...A story about a bunch of Romans exploring an amazing foreign empire halfway across the world (or Chinese people coming to Rome) would be fun. Why would you bring it into the modern day, anyway?

Because then his self insert can be half baka gaijin so he can imagine himself in the role.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Harime Nui posted:

how could a good story ever rely on gender or race as the basis for its plot? that's obviously impossible :smug:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Puppy Time posted:

In all fairness, that's about the role the character had in the original, albeit with a lot more monster fights inbetween.

More monster fights?

Rose fought jack poo poo monsters. She either cried and cowered, or managed to run away. Or they just left.

Harry fought a town filled with demons, and then got into a fist fight with an evil super god all to save his daughter, who he knew didn't technically exist anymore!

Rose let everyone else do everything, and then MADE A DEAL with that evil super god so it could kill more people.

Even if they were both the same gender, one of them is clearly the better protagonist. loving Hell I hate the first Silent Hill movie.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

how could a good story ever rely on gender or race as the basis for its plot? that's obviously impossible :smug:

He's never read To Kill a Mocking Bird in school figure.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you can't replace celie with a man, alive walker's so overrated

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Burkion posted:

Harry fought a town filled with demons, and then got into a fist fight with an evil super god all to save his daughter, who he knew didn't technically exist anymore!

You can't fight that thing without guns. The game makes it die automatically if you have no guns.

I mean, yeah, the movie is a horrible adaptationn(and a horrible movie in its own right), but honestly Harry was only a more active protag because the player needs monsters to smack around in between him getting jerked around by all the other characters.

...I should stop this because it's not about idiots dissecting fiction terribly.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Puppy Time posted:

You can't fight that thing without guns. The game makes it die automatically if you have no guns.

I mean, yeah, the movie is a horrible adaptationn(and a horrible movie in its own right), but honestly Harry was only a more active protag because the player needs monsters to smack around in between him getting jerked around by all the other characters.

...I should stop this because it's not about idiots dissecting fiction terribly.

Also I was trying to make a joke about him fist fighting evil god.

Failing, but you know how that goes.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Tracula posted:

PFfft, of course it is!
:tvtropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MamaBear
They even have a Male version of it called PapaWolf because you can't call it PapaBear because papa bears in real life kill cubs all the time unlike papa wolves which act like mama bears but they're wolves and males instead. :eng101:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Croccers posted:

PFfft, of course it is!
:tvtropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MamaBear
They even have a Male version of it called PapaWolf because you can't call it PapaBear because papa bears in real life kill cubs all the time unlike papa wolves which act like mama bears but they're wolves and males instead. :eng101:

Mama Bear posted:

Lauren Faust is like this towards her fans. More than one critic, troll, ect. has made the mistake of insulting them where she can see it, and gotten a "The Reason You Suck" Speech for their trouble.

The Reason You Suck Speech has only the second Quotes page I've seen that's long enough to be split into folders (the first being part the Daring Do thing). The quotes it showcases are quite something.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Of course it's an anime.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

'The Reason You Suck Speech' Troper Tales posted:

- This Troper gave a very nasty one that was merged with a Hannibal Lecture to a bully Jerk Jock type. It can be summed up as, "I really do pity you. . .or at least I try to. . . . You are just an empty fool who tries to erase his fear that he might not get a football scholarship by bullying those lesser than him. I continue these "geeky" behaviors because they let me form at least a core of my personality. You. . .you have nothing any more other than to try to fill your empty core up with the fear of others while watching that perfect six pack decay from one too many beers." He cried and ran away, having been emotionally dissected.
  • ...When you take over the world, can I be a minion?
  • When you take over the world, I'll be leading La Resistance. Or an Overminion (Read: The Dragon). Either one.
  • This never happened, did it?

How bad at writing shitthatdidn'thappen.txt does one have to be to write something that stands out as clearly being made up on the site that gave us "That kid...is inhuman!" and "Get dangerous, bitch!"?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

How bad at writing shitthatdidn'thappen.txt does one have to be to write something that stands out as clearly being made up on the site that gave us "That kid...is inhuman!" and "Get dangerous, bitch!"?

Just then, Nightwish began to play on my iPod

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Why does it say act VI? Is it an anime, some kind of fanfiction play based on an anime or a troper making an anime-styled play for god knows what reason? I'm probably putting more thought into this than the creator did but its seriously bugging me.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The Reason You Suck Speech has only the second Quotes page I've seen that's long enough to be split into folders (the first being part the Daring Do thing). The quotes it showcases are quite something.

Is that a fanfic quote? Cause I can't see even an anyone being that ridiculously verbose.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Anticheese posted:

Of course it's an anime.

No. Much more better. It is a fanfic of an anime.

Rosario Vampire: Brightest Darkness posted:

Anatomically Impossible Sex: In Act VI chapter 41, Sun, Kurumu, and Ran end up seeing Kokoa having sex with Gin in his werewolf form, and are astonished at the seeming physical impossibility of the task.
Kurumu: You think she's using any lubricant?
Ran: What?! That's the stupidest thing you could say right now! Of course she would have to be using lubricant. For God's sake, if she didn't, he would have ruined her from the very start!

Good People Have Good Sex/Sex God: In Act II chapter 32, when Kurumu, Moka, and Mizore consummate their relationships with their respective beaus, they all describe the experience as such. Mizore particularly stands out, as she remarks that having sex with Dark was such a powerful experience that she actually passed out from the pleasure more than once.

Post Rape Taunt: Act II uses this spectacularly. Miyabi rapes Mizore, and when Tsukune and the others find out, he taunts Dark by remarking, "If it makes you any feel better, she wasn't that good. She didn't even scream for me." He gets his just desserts soon after.
In Act III chapter 12, the possessed Kokoa takes it a step farther after her rape of Tsukune by rubbing her crotch and then licking the vaginal blood off of her hand right in front of Moka, at which point Moka snaps and dishes out a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown.
In Act IV chapter 23, Jovian proves just what a bitch she really is by mocking Tsukune over the phone about how she raped Kyouko while holding her hostage.

Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil:
Miyabi rapes Mizore in Act II while holding her captive, and is brutally killed by an outraged Dark soon after.
Similarly, among the other things that the numerous duplicates of Apoch and Astreal are used for is as Sex Slaves for Fairy Tale soldiers.
In Act III chapter 12, Kokoa's ghoul-induced Split Personality rapes Tsukune, going so far as to paralyze him with a "love tap" to the spine to ensure he would hold still while she did so.
Jovian and Jacqueline also sexually abuse Felucia and Kyouko while holding them hostage at different points.

Vampires Are Sex Gods: When a particularly powerful vampire unleashes his aura, female vampires within the vicinity often experience The Immodest Orgasm to the extent that they're left literally incapacitated from the experience.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
...... Is there seriously a trope called "Post Rape Taunt?"

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

quote:

For a villain there are many ways to get to a hero, to really make them hurt. One popular way is through their loved ones, and one of the most effective methods is to violate their love interest and then gloat about it. Other wonderfully unpleasant things like slavery-for-life or just killing them are optional.

One variation has the villain not doing it themselves, but instead ordering their lieutenant(s) or mooks to carry out the deed to much the same effect. Not always, but usually done with male villain/male hero/female victim. Because it's a really horrible thing to have done to someone you care about, this will frequently provoke Unstoppable Rage and/or Extreme Melee Revenge from the hero - but also from people who don't even like or care about said love interest, as Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil.

Compare/contrast with "Not If They Enjoyed It" Rationalization, where the victim does like it, whereas this is just the villain lying for the sake of being a total prick. Related to Evil Gloating, Reminiscing About Your Victims and Would You Like to Hear How They Died?. Usually a very good way to push the Relative Button.

The previous name for this trope, "I Showed Her What A Real Man Is", is not only a Stock Phrase for carrying the trope out, but a trifecta of insults: 1) I sexed up your woman 2) your manhood is laughable in comparison to mine 3) she will never be satisfied with you again.

Due to the highly offensive and personal nature of this trope, please do not add any real life examples.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

...... Is there seriously a trope called "Post Rape Taunt?"

Does a troper poo poo in a sock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Post Rape Taunt/Fanfic posted:

Heftargan does this to Empath in the Empath: The Luckiest Smurf story "Smurfing In Heaven", combining it with Would You Like to Hear How They Died?, telling him that he and his fellow Schliphargons had their way with Smurfette before she died, attempting to make Empath so angry that he would kill Heftargan and "prove himself" a warrior. Polaris senses that Heftargan is using disinformation in order to undermine Empath's determination to find a way to bring his fellow Smurfs home.

• Locked thread