Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm saving up my halos to buy the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa first. I assume it is as good in this game as it was in 1.

Definitely get bat within before moon. It's something like 1/10 the price and almost as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Final boss could suck you into space and all you had to do was run away from the openings. This one they shoot a beam off screen that turns you into Cereza and you can no longer dodge or run or anything because they walk up to you and OHK you. They also can just initiate a QTE whenever they want to kill you or try to. I was fine with the enemy one on one but the game quickly spawned two of them and one ran off screen and due to how the camera works (to my knowledge) I'd be fighting one when a blast I had no way of knowing was being charged up would hit me, then the one I was fighting would just kill me from full health. This is unacceptable in this type of game.

That sounds pretty bullshit. Can't you just keep one of them off camera so you are only dealing with one?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm saving up my halos to buy the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa first. I assume it is as good in this game as it was in 1.

Considering how broken it was in the first game, I'm sure they gave it some drawback, right?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Broseph Brostar posted:

That sounds pretty bullshit. Can't you just keep one of them off camera so you are only dealing with one?

Considering how broken it was in the first game, I'm sure they gave it some drawback, right?

They fire the one hit kill beam off camera and it doesn't have a sound cue so have fun with that.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This one they shoot a beam off screen that turns you into Cereza and you can no longer dodge or run or anything because they walk up to you and OHK you.

If you have an Umbran Climax ready and activate it you will return back to normal Bayonetta immediately.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I'm pretty sure I could dodge as little Cereza. Which chapter was it again?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr. Neutron posted:

I'm pretty sure I could dodge as little Cereza. Which chapter was it again?

Chapter 10. If you push dodge Cereza falls over and sits there for a minute.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Chapter 10. If you push dodge Cereza falls over and sits there for a minute.

Yeah she stumbles forward which is more than enough to escape. You don't even need to use it, just run away from the demon.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Bat Within is the first thing I bought, but I don't know what it does extra since it doesn't grant more witch time like it did in 1. Does it just make the dodge window a bit longer?

Bat within makes the dodge window a bit more lenient, it negates damage and grants you witch time if you dodge in the exact frame you get hit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yeah she stumbles forward which is more than enough to escape. You don't even need to use it, just run away from the demon.

Bat within makes the dodge window a bit more lenient, it negates damage and grants you witch time if you dodge in the exact frame you get hit.

The two times I got kid-ified I tried running away but they were faster then me. Hands came out and I hit dodge and they missed but it just did it again before Cereza could get back up.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Wow.

Chapter 3 sure is something. :stare:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JordanKai posted:

Wow.

Chapter 3 sure is something. :stare:

The opening surfing bit was bollocks, but the fight was good for a mid air fight.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

The opening surfing bit was bollocks, but the fight was good for a mid air fight.

Yeah, I think the surfing bit went on too long, but maybe it's tied to damage? I was using the bow, so probably wasn't lighting the world on fire as damage goes. The actual fight was legit, though.

Unrelated, but for people still struggling to get the hang of dodge offsetting like me, I've found using Undine helps a lot with learning how to do it since it gives very noticeable feedback for when you're holding the button and where you are in your combo. It's odd that Undine doesn't have an associated costume, though.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Only got to play an hour last night since I was busy but god drat I already love this game as much as the first one.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Blargh - got a physical copy from best buy after some smug fat gently caress at Gamestop said "we don't have one unless you pre ordered? did you preorder? well there you go" (I made sure to eat a quiznos sandwich in front of the store - a luxury he most certainly couldn't afford)

Anywho, Bayonetta 2 won't disc read no matter what. So I guess I'm playing Bayonetta 1 while I figure out what to do about 2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just finished the prologue. Is it just me or are the combo score thresholds really drat high this time around? I was beating on the baddies without a single break and I still landed a Bronze.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

oswald ownenstein posted:

Blargh - got a physical copy from best buy after some smug fat gently caress at Gamestop said "we don't have one unless you pre ordered? did you preorder? well there you go" (I made sure to eat a quiznos sandwich in front of the store - a luxury he most certainly couldn't afford)

Anywho, Bayonetta 2 won't disc read no matter what. So I guess I'm playing Bayonetta 1 while I figure out what to do about 2.

The cashier at my Gamestop asked me if I owned a Wii U before I bought it like I was some dummy who didn't know the difference between the Wii and Wii U.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oxxidation posted:

I just finished the prologue. Is it just me or are the combo score thresholds really drat high this time around? I was beating on the baddies without a single break and I still landed a Bronze.

I thought this was the case and was annoyed when I got silver.

Next few chapters I was getting platinum and such so it was really strange.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Are 99% of the people in tag climax lobby afk? So far I have only been able to get into a game once in tries beyond count. Most hang on waiting for response, a few got declined.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

dude789 posted:

The cashier at my Gamestop asked me if I owned a Wii U before I bought it like I was some dummy who didn't know the difference between the Wii and Wii U.

I've had good luck with Gamestop employees in the places I've lived I guess. The guy asked me if Bayonetta was like DMC3 and we talked about how we wished they'd make more action games that sold and that was it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The first game sure likes starting the fight with you already being hit, doesn't it?

vvv Most recent example was Kinship. I was mashing dodge and still only managed to be saved from missiles by Bats Within.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 25, 2014

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Suspicious Cook posted:

The first game sure likes starting the fight with you already being hit, doesn't it?

Every time a new enemy cutscene starts now, I just mash r2 to dodge. I assume they're always gonna be right in my face now after grace and glory.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Vegastar posted:

Every time a new enemy cutscene starts now, I just mash r2 to dodge. I assume they're always gonna be right in my face now after grace and glory.

And you are correct. :v:

Finally got a game of climax going, was using Love is Blue, the other guy had dual chainsaws, I had to ressurect him twice in one verse and yet he still won?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

So what's the best way to get good practice chaining different combos? I'm starting to get the hang of dodge interrupts for combos, but I still feel like I'm semi-frantically mashing buttons and my combo scores are rarely above a silver. I'm kind of aware of what I'm doing, but my go to seems to be ppkkk when I'm running out of ideas, and while it seems to be incredibly powerful, I know I can do better if I practice and get a system of 6-8 different ones to bounce between. I'm just not sure which ones are super solid and which are too difficult to be worthwhile.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

And you are correct. :v:

Finally got a game of climax going, was using Love is Blue, the other guy had dual chainsaws, I had to ressurect him twice in one verse and yet he still won?

Your score is determined by total verses. If you won low-bet verses and he won high-bet verses, he wins even if you won more verses overall.

Also your combo score matters. Vary your attacks.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

The Moon Monster posted:

I swear some of the alfheims were nearly impossible unless you had gear you couldn't possibly have found the first time you encountered them. The win in x number of kicks and punches ones were pretty easy with Durga, but you started seeing them before you found it. The difficulty didn't really seem linear either, just sort of random. In 2 they start off really easy but steadily scale up. They're still not hard but I'm only 1/3 of the way through so I'm guessing they get there eventually.

Early Muspelheims feel like they're subtly teaching you the finer points of playing the game. The game never explains how the combo system works, exactly, but you pick it up by doing the "Defeat all enemies in one combo" challenge. It deliberately spaces enemies out to teach you the value of certain moves being able to keep a combo going at range. It's pretty great.

The first one to actually give me trouble was the "Keep a combo going" challenge against a bunch of those big shield centaurs. Is there a guard break move I don't know about? If the enemy got their shield up it felt like there wasn't always something I could do fast enough to maintain my combo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

dude789 posted:

I haven't bought a game in a physical shop since 2009. :shrug: Amazon doesn't treat you like an idiot (though the Club Nintendo game registration still does).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have added Pbaby and Evil Eagle. Time to do some Tag Climax aganst Randys.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Does anyone else think this game feels easier than the first one or is it all just muscle memory helping me hit the ground running? I don't think it's too easy, but it ramps up more slowly for sure. I just beat the stage after the first Masked Sage fight and I've only died once so far (when an enemy I didn't realize was being enraged by an Enraptured comboed off half of my health in one go) which I'm pretty sure is a lot better than I did my first time through the first game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I noticed there's a Platinum Ticket in the store randomly. Does it unlock Rodin or is it a refight with him? If it unlocks him I ain't buyin' anything till I get it

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

So all the chapters with Bayo's mom are absolutely fantastic. Also, the counter accessory is still crazy, get that ASAP. I think I'll save up for the Platinum Ticket now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I noticed there's a Platinum Ticket in the store randomly. Does it unlock Rodin or is it a refight with him? If it unlocks him I ain't buyin' anything till I get it

It makes him fightable.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Seriously though Loki might be the worst VO I've ever heard. Even by Japanese game standards.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The CPU in Tag Climax is stupid good.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Seriously though Loki might be the worst VO I've ever heard. Even by Japanese game standards.

It's weird that they picked good English VAs in the first game (barring Jeanne), whereas Loki is just the worst fake English I've ever heard. I have no idea how Hellena Taylor kept a straight face.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Motherfucker do you see what game she's voice acting in?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Play Tag Climax with me. What's your NNID?

Edit: nm, got the request. Let's do this.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah let me get you, dog.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
:EDIT NVM

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

drat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lumen Sage is a fucker even on Level 2 Difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Level 3 is hard as hell man. I can't wait to master this mode.

• Locked thread