Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

While it still does sound a little similar, it's less of a parallel if you actually spell the name right, which is Tougane.

Funimation you've let me down once again :dance:

At least standardize your own character's names please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Alder posted:

Funimation you've let me down once again :dance:

At least standardize your own character's names please.

I couldn't remember what Funi used so I pulled from wiki. I know it had a n though. Did they spell it Togane?

(Edit: whew ANN backs me up on the spelling so if Funi used something different I guess they're weird)

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 18, 2014

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Japanese official website has the romanized versions as Kogami and Togane. A more, uh, anal romanization would be Kougami and Tougane.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got up to speed with this noise. So, I've got a shitload of questions:

• The gratuitous :gibs: from a lethal dominator weren't this detailed on the first season, weren't they? Or am I misremembering?
  • Is it just me, or does the voice director want every female except Mika to sound unnecessarily deep?
  • Are any of the side-materials (I see two ongoing manga series along with a finished novelization and light novels regarding side characters) worth it?
  • Where the gently caress is Profiler dude? C'mon Ubukata, I want an old-mentor-type figure and Gino just ain't cutting it.
  • Am I the only one who saw Kamui and, after seeing/hearing him cry, immediately thought of Wakamatsu? :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Finally got up to speed with this noise. So, I've got a shitload of questions:

• The gratuitous :gibs: from a lethal dominator weren't this detailed on the first season, weren't they? Or am I misremembering?
  • Is it just me, or does the voice director want every female except Mika to sound unnecessarily deep?
  • Are any of the side-materials (I see two ongoing manga series along with a finished novelization and light novels regarding side characters) worth it?
  • Where the gently caress is Profiler dude? C'mon Ubukata, I want an old-mentor-type figure and Gino just ain't cutting it.
  • Am I the only one who saw Kamui and, after seeing/hearing him cry, immediately thought of Wakamatsu? :v:

1. They might have updated the dominators so they'd reduce cleanup time I guess. It seems to have gotten a power boost against machinery/robots too.

2. Everyone sounds fine to me and more the normal speaking tone vs super genki reactions.

3. P-P Extended is probably a good refresher if you haven't watched it yet. It sometimes included minor details from the novel too. The manga is following S1 and so far I haven't read any new enlightening moments. There is a movie coming out TBA.

4. I'd like a old veteran police detective too account of everyone is too young + pretty for my grimdark mystery game.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

darkgray posted:

Japanese official website has the romanized versions as Kogami and Togane. A more, uh, anal romanization would be Kougami and Tougane.

That's what I thought. Funimation's way is perfectly fine as well. I just had it different because I grabbed from a website and its the more anal one because it's open to anime fans and well, you've all seen MAL.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Results are in from Funi:

Now we can move to more important matters like honorifics: Y/N?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Alder posted:

There is a movie coming out TBA.

The movie is apparently coming out right after this season ends on January 9, 2015. Hope it'll help the series go out with a bang.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alder posted:

BTW: I read this from the wiki so I'll write it in tags jic Wiki says the rookie is gay (?) and I assume she has a crush on Yayoi? .

That was completely obvious from their two seconds of interaction this episode.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

Alder posted:

1. They might have updated the dominators so they'd reduce cleanup time I guess. It seems to have gotten a power boost against machinery/robots too.

Budget and action++

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

That was completely obvious from their two seconds of interaction this episode.

Eh, but I promised I wouldn't into shipping territory early unless it's canon :classiclol:

Yay, for diversity?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It was already there in the first season, at least in the extended edition.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Alder posted:

Eh, but I promised I wouldn't into shipping territory early unless it's canon :classiclol:

Unfortunately for the rookie, Yayoi is taken.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Wark Say posted:

The gratuitous :gibs: from a lethal dominator weren't this detailed on the first season, weren't they? Or am I misremembering?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Wark Say posted:

The gratuitous :gibs: from a lethal dominator weren't this detailed on the first season, weren't they? Or am I misremembering?

I always wondered about that. I mean, this is a society where suffering emotional damage can get you imprisoned for life, so why isn't their lethal weaponry a bit less horrifying? What the hell is seeing that meatsplosion gonna do to bystanders!?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

ViggyNash posted:

e: gently caress timg not working with spoilers. Oh well.

My interpretation, and probably the obvious one, is that he's keeping an eye on Akane for Sybil, but there's some darker background behind him which he'll eventually act on. So yeah, he's probably going to betray Akane and become the actual antagonist of the show. Cue Kogami returning to fit the Kogami-shaped hole and a whole lot of exposition.
I'm late catching up with the new season and thread so I'm not sure if this was posted before or after episode 2 aired.

Episode 2 practically rubs our faces in the possibility that the new enforcer is a plant by his family's pharmaceutical company, and the first scene of episode one set up the fact that drugs are being used to manipulate people's psycho-passes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

grrarg posted:

I'm late catching up with the new season and thread so I'm not sure if this was posted before or after episode 2 aired.

Episode 2 practically rubs our faces in the possibility that the new enforcer is a plant by his family's pharmaceutical company, and the first scene of episode one set up the fact that drugs are being used to manipulate people's psycho-passes.

I totally missed that...

And yeah, my post was after episode 2.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Alder posted:

BTW: I read this from the wiki so I'll write it in tags jic Wiki says the rookie is gay (?) and I assume she has a crush on Yayoi? .

Not a spoiler. The rookie is a returning character from S1 who was either gay or curious back then.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Not a spoiler. The rookie is a returning character from S1 who was either gay or curious back then.

Sorry, I ended up missing when I had watched S1 and I didn't pay much attn until I checked the wiki for extra info.

OT: Did you know some common antidepressants are not legal in Japan despite being available in many other countries :v:

Coincidence?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Just watched episode 3. Things are properly kicking off now. It's going to be so glorious when Akane is proven 100% right :allears:.

There's an interesting insight into Togami (or Togane according to Funi) too that isn't at all what we've been speculating so far.

So yeah, check it out and talk about it, you know what to do.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Just watched episode 3. Things are properly kicking off now. It's going to be so glorious when Akane is proven 100% right :allears:.

There's an interesting insight into Togami (or Togane according to Funi) too that isn't at all what we've been speculating so far.

Yeah, I guess that is kind of opposite to what I thought.

What I find interesting is the dichotomy between Togane and Kamui. Togane boasts the highest registered coefficient given by Sybil ever, and Kamui seems to be entirely invisible to Sybil.

I'm Kamui's actual intentions are still blurry, but that opening segment does say a few things. Firstly, that it maybe a combination of a drug - that yellow stuff in the IV - and classic armchair psychology that lets people cheat the system. His method seems to be to force people to face their reality, specifically that the endless stress of managing their hue is itself the problem, to allow them to see the wonderful, carefree life of a world without such worries.

I think - and this is purely speculation/me throwing ideas at a wall - that the difference between Kamui's people and regular criminals is their sense of place. A criminal recognizes the fact that what they are doing is out of line with what is socially acceptable. Not just recognizes, but accepts and embraces that fact. Kamui's people, on the other hand, completely and utterly believe in the sanctity their own ideals, that those ideals are ones society would embrace wholeheartedly - but those ideals are out of touch with their actual state of mind. Those ideals are shielding their real state of mind from Sybil. Perhaps those people whose psycho-passes never cross the line, like Akane, Makashima, and all the others whose brains were incorporated into Sybil, achieved that same state of "enlightenment", for lack of a better word, but because they got there naturally, they aren't as hosed up as Kamui's people. Kamui himself has to be one of those people.

Of course, that's not to say that at least some of the "special" people don't have issues; Makashima and Kamui are definitely hosed up people. Their state of mind is what a person in a non-Sybil world would have, but is influenced by this Sybil-centric world, which is why they ended up with Makashima and Kamui causing their respective messes, but is also why they have Akane who can think freely in the truest sense of the word.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, I guess that is kind of opposite to what I thought.

What I find interesting is the dichotomy between Togane and Kamui. Togane boasts the highest registered coefficient given by Sybil ever, and Kamui seems to be entirely invisible to Sybil.

When the chief mentioned Togane had the highest recorded C-Co I thought she meant within Division 1 aka Akane's Enforcers? Wait, do you mean overall ever in the history? Does that mean there is no cap on the highest level? Curiouser and Curiouser.

AFAIK, I don't have enough data for straight up speculation unless I want do a detailed run down from just the OP/ED scenes :coffeepal:

Anyone else kinda tired how many "special" villains show up in the series? I mean, sure, one out of a million is OK but two people w/unique abilities even Sybil fails to track down?

Yay, the criminal profiler is back and I wonder if we'll get more info about him and why he feels responsible enough to turn himself in? I like his jail's interior decorating.

BTW: I like Gino's apt/room at the police dept and now I wish there were more downtime interactions b/t the main cast. Is it ethical to date your Enforcers...

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Alder posted:

Anyone else kinda tired how many "special" villains show up in the series? I mean, sure, one out of a million is OK but two people w/unique abilities even Sybil fails to track down?

I think it's more common than you think. Sybil is comprised of people just like that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

NowonSA posted:

Uh, it's even Togane when they say it in Japanese. His name isn't Togami and it isn't Funimation loving it up. I don't know where you're getting this from.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

The Black Stones posted:

Uh, it's even Togane when they say it in Japanese. His name isn't Togami and it isn't Funimation loving it up. I don't know where you're getting this from.

Just from the thread, I'll stick to Togane from now on :P.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Once again the I find the most interesting aspect of this show to be the look at a society so regimented and routine in it's range of behavior that people can't see the most obvious things because of a huge and glaring cultural blind spot. This episode did make me wonder about how politics works in this series. If Sybil assigns you your general role in life are politicians appointed to a pool that people vote on or are they straight up assigned to a position? I do find it weird that Sybil seems so sure of it's self given the fact that it has been shown that it knows it has flaws and is actively trying to harvest brains to fix them.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

If Sybil assigns you your general role in life are politicians appointed to a pool that people vote on or are they straight up assigned to a position?

It's a mock vote, from what I gathered in S1 Sibyl just nudges the right people into the right places to create the illusion of democracy.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Alder posted:

I think it makes sense that there are so many outliers simply because there are so many people living in Japan. Everyone we've seen who lives in the society lives in a high rise apartment. Sybil is aware that there are a group of people that it can't see which is why it hunts them down and incorporates their brains into the system.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I do find it weird that Sybil seems so sure of it's self given the fact that it has been shown that it knows it has flaws and is actively trying to harvest brains to fix them.

I think the confidence comes in the program's goal. Sybil knows that it's a perfect but incomplete system. Once it has caught and assimilated every 'rogue' brain, the entire system will be free from all errors and they will be able to track everyone.

The problem with that is there are so many random variables in people's personalities that Sybil will actually never be able to collect all the different permutations and so the perfect system will never actually be completed.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Once again the I find the most interesting aspect of this show to be the look at a society so regimented and routine in it's range of behavior that people can't see the most obvious things because of a huge and glaring cultural blind spot. This episode did make me wonder about how politics works in this series. If Sybil assigns you your general role in life are politicians appointed to a pool that people vote on or are they straight up assigned to a position? I do find it weird that Sybil seems so sure of it's self given the fact that it has been shown that it knows it has flaws and is actively trying to harvest brains to fix them.

I agree. Can you imagine how terribly the inspectors must have been working out before the enforcer program was started.

"Sorry man the system says no one came in. Maybe you just imagined someone broke in and robbed you. There! Another case solved!"

Even if a lot of the details were covered up, people in the system must know about those helmets from last season.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

I agree. Can you imagine how terribly the inspectors must have been working out before the enforcer program was started.

"Sorry man the system says no one came in. Maybe you just imagined someone broke in and robbed you. There! Another case solved!"

Oh it'd be worse than that!

"Sorry man, the system says no-one was here... Y'know, calling in false reports is a crime, right? You're spending the rest of your life in the iso-cubes, punk!"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Kegslayer posted:

I think the confidence comes in the program's goal. Sybil knows that it's a perfect but incomplete system. Once it has caught and assimilated every 'rogue' brain, the entire system will be free from all errors and they will be able to track everyone.

The problem with that is there are so many random variables in people's personalities that Sybil will actually never be able to collect all the different permutations and so the perfect system will never actually be completed.

Oh I get why it feels that way overall, just in this specific instance. You'd think they'd be able to put the pieces together better and realize it's another instance where they're being gamed by someone since they know that they're not infallible unlike most members of society.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Oh I get why it feels that way overall, just in this specific instance. You'd think they'd be able to put the pieces together better and realize it's another instance where they're being gamed by someone since they know that they're not infallible unlike most members of society.

I think part of the problem is that someone who does immediately realize they're being gamed will also instantly develop the kind of mentality that will get them vanished off to the psych ward. I'm guessing that this is a part of how the Inspector/Enforcer system was created in the first place; enough Inspectors kept on "becoming" latent criminals that they established the Enforcers as a kind of psychological fire break, outsourcing critical thinking to people who are then carefully tucked back into their box at the end of the day. It's the surveillance state taken to its ultimate conclusion: playing dumb (and thinking dumb) is the only way to live, to the point where people literally won't believe what's happening right in front of them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I think part of the problem is that someone who does immediately realize they're being gamed will also instantly develop the kind of mentality that will get them vanished off to the psych ward. I'm guessing that this is a part of how the Inspector/Enforcer system was created in the first place; enough Inspectors kept on "becoming" latent criminals that they established the Enforcers as a kind of psychological fire break, outsourcing critical thinking to people who are then carefully tucked back into their box at the end of the day. It's the surveillance state taken to its ultimate conclusion: playing dumb (and thinking dumb) is the only way to live, to the point where people literally won't believe what's happening right in front of them.

Yep. That's part of why Jouji is in the ward in the first place, because he was teaching people to be detectives and not just enforcers of the law.

The Inspector/Enforcer system is fascinating to me. The Enforcers are the bloodhounds, the detectives that find bad guys by following their footsteps into that mental abyss and the minions that shield and protect their masters, serving as a buffer, or a liaison, between them and the abyss. The Inspectors's only job is to keep them on a tight leash in every sense of the word, both physically and metaphorically. They only exist to keep the Enforcers operating within the bounds that Sybil has imposed. But once they start to become more directly involved with the process of enforcing Sybil's commandments, rather than managing it, their psycho-passes begin to rise until they get deemed latent. So the system inherently squashes free thought and suggests that the only safe path is to follow the rules, do your job, and don't think to hard beyond that. Don't conform, and you get labeled a threat.

As far as chasing the... "immune" population of people who can't be properly processed by Sybil like others can, the only people who could chase them are the very detectives being kept on a leash. But along comes Akane, another "immune" person whose psychology serves as a natural backdoor, who's able to think as freely as any detective of old, or Enforcer of this new world, without fear of clouding her psycho-pass. As far as we know, she's the only one in the police force, so she's the only one able to chase after people like Makishima or Kamui without being thrown in the ward.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

While it's annoying that none of the police seem to be willing to even consider that Sybil might be wrong, I suppose it makes sense in a society where Sybil's judgement is an absolute, and Akane being the only one to really (if quietly since she ultimately believes in the system) challenge that is neat.

Does anyone have a comparison of the OP in the latest episode and the previous too? There were a lot of distortion effects added to it and a couple of other differences and I'm curious if anyone's tried to put things together.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The new villain seems pretty clear cut. Where Makishima believed that the system was absurd and needed to be destroyed, Kamui believes in the system too much. Makishima and Kogami were a lot alike, Kamui and Akane will probably be a lot alike- and why he's targeting her. Akane saving the guy in the first episode is likely the hint toward the arc. Not only does it reinforce Akane's characterization from the first season but it sets up the theme. Kamui's ideals are probably "Everyone can be saved if their actions are justified under Sibyl" whereas Akane is more "Everyone can be saved if enough people try to do the right thing."

Now watch the show throw a curve-ball at me.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The new villain seems pretty clear cut.

I think you're basically right. I wouldn't say the villain is trying to say "Everyone can be saved if their actions are justified under Sibyl" as much as "if Sibyl says everyone is OK, then everyone's OK, so let's make them OK!" :downs: Both Akane and this season's villain believe that people can be made better under Sibyl's eyes, and that this is the way to a more virtuous society.

It's just that one of them just says "gently caress all this talking and therapy nonsense" and goes straight for the :catdrugs:

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm surprised the drugs angle hasn't come up sooner. I'm sure half the country is on antidepressants at this point. In fact, I don't think we've really gotten any kind of episode that puts us in the head of an average citizen going about their day in Sibyl's Japan — only a brief "average morning" from Akane's perspective back in season 1, episode 3, which only hinted at the holographic falsity of the Sibyl Society. Even the episode about Yayoi never actually showed what triggered her latent-ness, or how she "managed" her psyche.

Hopefully we get something similarly mundane from another perspective this season.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

YF-23 posted:

While it's annoying that none of the police seem to be willing to even consider that Sybil might be wrong, I suppose it makes sense in a society where Sybil's judgement is an absolute, and Akane being the only one to really (if quietly since she ultimately believes in the system) challenge that is neat.

Does anyone have a comparison of the OP in the latest episode and the previous too? There were a lot of distortion effects added to it and a couple of other differences and I'm curious if anyone's tried to put things together.

I think what was interesting about this episode was the talk between Akane and Sybil. There is mutual respect between the two parties. Sybil is willing to entertain the notion that there may very well be a ghost and Akane is aware of what Sybil is and it is that knowledge that informs her that something is off about the whole case.

I was also somewhat surprised to see Jouji in a ward. I thought that it was for something terrible based on rookie's reaction, but it is more than likely because of his background and teaching. Why the Man gotta take in a man who's retired.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Something I find weird though: for all the monitoring systems in place there seems to be zero communication between them and the centres of decision making. You'd think that since the Dominators are connected to Sybil Sybil would know what happened to the inspector since Kamui had the gun active pointed at her.

So either Sybil has some really weird internal protocol that prevents it from using its monitoring capabilities to find people who need finding, or the ability to use the monitoring capabilities are withheld from the police (at least in this case) and Sybil itself knows what's going on but isn't letting anyone in the know, not even its own investigators.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dante Logos posted:

I was also somewhat surprised to see Jouji in a ward. I thought that it was for something terrible based on rookie's reaction, but it is more than likely because of his background and teaching. Why the Man gotta take in a man who's retired.

True, I'm slightly puzzled because since when is teaching people about criminal profiling another way to cloud their HUE? I mean, it seems like if he/she are that easily influenced by that then maybe this job isn't for them. If anything they should recruit him to train new Inspectors for the greater good :airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The new villain seems pretty clear cut. Where Makishima believed that the system was absurd and needed to be destroyed, Kamui believes in the system too much. Makishima and Kogami were a lot alike, Kamui and Akane will probably be a lot alike- and why he's targeting her. Akane saving the guy in the first episode is likely the hint toward the arc. Not only does it reinforce Akane's characterization from the first season but it sets up the theme. Kamui's ideals are probably "Everyone can be saved if their actions are justified under Sibyl" whereas Akane is more "Everyone can be saved if enough people try to do the right thing."

Now watch the show throw a curve-ball at me.

I think that's pretty spot on, but we've still got a lot of show to go.

• Locked thread