Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Ugh I'm sick of Dragonball Z stuff in the comic about kids with awkward growing-up problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

MrBims posted:

Ugh I'm sick of Dragonball Z stuff in the comic about kids with awkward growing-up problems.

We're reading the same comic, right? We've been shooting laser beams and powering up for a hell of a long time.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MrBims posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMcEBX74AWE

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why do I feel like people about a year ago were saying that they were waiting for John to go back and retcon something else. That didn't happen either, but people here were calling for that to happen too.

Besides sticking John in the corners of past panels, has anything really been retconned yet? If anything, it's been beta timelines, never undoing the actual plot. But this thing is like 60,000 pages, so maybe I'm forgetting something.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Well, John stopped himself from the past from interacting with Dave and Grimbark Jade, if I am not mistaken, thus allowing the whole conversation regarding the sword that's supposed to kill LE to happen.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If you mean retcon in the sense of editing past panels, that's not going to happen more substantially, since that'd ruin things for archive readers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When I was rereading it, I had forgotten he did that, and was very confused when I saw two Johns above Jade and Dave. And then it made sense later.

So John does this TWICE- he retcons Dave having to save the Mayor and all that, and then he reretcons him doing that so Dave has to.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, then I did forget. I just didn't know why people were hoping so much that he would undo what we just saw in the flash. Plus, that would mean Hussie just did the flash for no reason for the plot then too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love that everyone's freaking out about characters dying despite the well-established fact that dead characters can still run around and do stuff.

Isn't John supposed to be the "savior of the dreaming dead" or something, anyway?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

IUG posted:

Besides sticking John in the corners of past panels, has anything really been retconned yet? If anything, it's been beta timelines, never undoing the actual plot.

This probably is a beta timeline, because Aranea's whole plan was to create one and then heal it so it's not doomed anymore. :ssh:

Seems like its doomedness has taken hold within mere minutes of her putting her plan into action, though

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Suaimhneas posted:

This probably is a beta timeline, because Aranea's whole plan was to create one and then heal it so it's not doomed anymore. :shh:

Seems like its doomedness has taken hold within mere minutes of her putting her plan into action, though

That's because her plan was REALLY lovely

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

That's because her plan was REALLY lovely

And yet, it's still kind of working.

All she ever needed to do was make sure the kids don't create a universe so Lord English can't be born in it. Can't very well do that if everyone's dead!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

It's gonna be hard to do the essential second step of healing the timeline with the Condesce screaming in her face and throttling her, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, I just remembered something: didn't Karkat have a ~ATH script that was supposed to execute when he died?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, I just remembered something: didn't Karkat have a ~ATH script that was supposed to execute when he died?

He does!

SOMETHING MAY HAPPEN (IhopeIhopeIhope)

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Burkion posted:

When I was rereading it, I had forgotten he did that, and was very confused when I saw two Johns above Jade and Dave. And then it made sense later.

So John does this TWICE- he retcons Dave having to save the Mayor and all that, and then he reretcons him doing that so Dave has to.

Could I get a link to this?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Martini Mice-Cream posted:

The deaths don't really bother me since like some of you are already guessing that this would be the motivator for John to master his retcon powers. Maybe the reason there is no "save game" option on the flash(other than it being a game over screen) is that We/John would have to reload a save from a previous point.

This is operating under the assumption that John saw any of this.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

The relevant page is here. If I'm understanding this right, he'd set up a loop that would terminate on his death, but hadn't actually written any routine for it to execute yet.

Besides, the computer that script was on blew up shortly afterwards.

Edit: also, the program as a whole was set up to stop running when the universe ended, which happened back in Cascade :v:

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 25, 2014

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

IUG posted:

Alright, then I did forget. I just didn't know why people were hoping so much that he would undo what we just saw in the flash. Plus, that would mean Hussie just did the flash for no reason for the plot then too.

Well, just because all or some of this might get undone doesn't mean it'll be meaningless. John would know what he's stopped - or at least we would - and having this full underailed (which I admit is a funny word to use about this mess) version in there first would make watching it unravel a more coherent experience. Plus there's a chance of hard-to-predict aftereffects. (I already said so a page ago, but I think whatever exactly Roxy did will probably remain significant somehow.)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Any routine that should have triggered with Karkat's death would have already taken effect, since he already died once.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Suaimhneas posted:

...and this is why you should always back up your files on a server in the furthest ring.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Plus there's a chance of hard-to-predict aftereffects. (I already said so a page ago, but I think whatever exactly Roxy did will probably remain significant somehow.)

Yeah, I'm curious about this myself. I'm not sure that was a teleport, that seems more like a Space player's territory. Roxy did some kind of Voidy Thing and now she and Rose are... where, exactly?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dr Strangepants posted:

First go
Second go
Third go

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Any routine that should have triggered with Karkat's death would have already taken effect, since he already died once.

Twice if you count dream selves.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Strangepants posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008284

Read from here to where John takes John away

Then go to here

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008302

Read from there

To the end of that scene

And then go here: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008317 And read

There you go. John's confusing retconning abilities

Edit: BEATEN

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Suaimhneas posted:

As if that kind of thing ever stopped ~ATH programs.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Suaimhneas posted:

Yeah, I'm curious about this myself. I'm not sure that was a teleport, that seems more like a Space player's territory. Roxy did some kind of Voidy Thing and now she and Rose are... where, exactly?

Either more or less real than before, perhaps, whatever that would mean! Popped out of one of those curtain assemblies somewhere? Trapped in Complacency of the Learned and/or Wizardy Herbert? That could get overcomplicated (which is entirely unheard of in this story, of course) and has already been echoed by John's enjoyment of Caliborn's narrative style, though.

Or they're mainly just invisible, which is a little boring but still an option, I guess.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I think I should leave some speculations here:

http://bladekindeyewear.tumblr.com/post/100892688084/further-s-game-over-upd8-thoughts

AceO
Sep 23, 2010

Pierce, I can see you're really upset about this. I think you ought to sit down, take a stress pill, and think things over.
two things i noticed after rewatching:

1) everyone's already realized that the mayor was last seen on LOHAC, which obviously isn't in very good shape as of now, but if we can assume more dragonball z planet-flinging occurred after we cut away, this looks an awful lot like chunks of LOKAT (dirk's planet) in the background.

which is where we last saw all the sprites

2) UH is that lil cal's eye in aranea's one normal pupil??

i.e. a previously established indicator of control by caliborn?

in which case all of aranea's questionably "good intentions" are out the window, i mean she did say "J8ke 8s cr8tically 8mportant t8 8y pl8n" or whatever with a bunch of 8's probably, and didn't even flinch after accidentally stabbing him here

it's not the right color but then again it's super tiny and undeatiled at the intended true size, maybe the guest artist who did that particular shot gave a bunch weird detail to just that one pupil, for only one shot they did. it just caught my eye and seemed weird!

AceO fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 25, 2014

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Okay ordinarily I'd just ignore a post like this but I saw bkew posted a video of himself watching the flash and he looks exactly like you'd expect :allears:

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Andrew Hussie posted:

The regular update engine lurches back to life on 11/1.

But as of typing this, by my watch, 10/25 isn't over yet, and technically neither is the update day. Hmm.

Hussie is a troll of the highest caliber.

Hold onto your butts people, there may yet be another flash coming today.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The next update will just be this, playing on repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pPQnhhUqtU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That was great but the absolute best thing in the flash was the Caliborn / John battle.

Also yeah Terezi's sort of alive :) not like the rest aren't somehow coming back (oh Karkat please) but...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, after Aranea abandoned Plan Throw-Wave-After-Wave-Of-Trolls-At-Lord-English, Meenah suggested something rather silly...

code:
MEENAH: kay what if
MEENAH: i found some way to teleport over to him
MEENAH: and i beat the poo poo out of him with my wrestling moves
MEENAH: then you bust out the weapon
VRISKA: Hahahaha.
VRISKA: That would 8e awesome, if somewhat implausi8le.
...isn't that essentially what John just did? He just needs the right weapon...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Hussie posted:

But as of typing this, by my watch, 10/25 isn't over yet, and technically neither is the update day. Hmm.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Holy poo poo. I want to say that I'm glad the clusterfuck we started the hiatus with got a big, Cascade-esque Flash resolution. The comic had been dying for a climax for a while now and this was a good way of shaking poo poo up quickly. A few of the points that stood out:

-Caliborn getting beaten up by John looks like it'll be his motivation to dump his anime phase and GET RIPPED. His new Lord English self-insert being a hulk who'd never get his rear end beat in a punch-up with a nerd sounds right.

-Not sure where John's off to next. In theory he might be able to use his retcon powers to avert this whole blow-up, but at that point he might as well retcon the entire comic. Which isn't to say he won't at some point, but for the time being we should probably assume this is the timeline we're dealing with for a while. This flash would be a lot of work to throw away too quickly.

-Karkat should probably be dead, but then again he's supposed to go to the core of the planet and get the genesis frog from Echidna, so I wouldn't leave out the possibility that he'll survive through some weird power or other and sink to the core. Or not.

-Gamzee's definitely dead, but I'm pretty sure he still has to go on and mentor Caliborn so he'll either be resurrected somehow or this becomes a serious timeline problem.

-The Aranea and Condesce smackdown continues. The Condesce might be winning by the end of the flash, but it's still not clear who'll actually win.

-Dirk, the weird Caliborn-controlled Jack Noir and Spades Slick are all still inbound. The sprites and the Mayor are MIA. PM and Bec Noir are at a loose end guarding Jade's corpse. I guess Terezi's still alive? Roxy and (dying?) Rose have escaped into the void. I think Rose might revive if only because getting chumped by the Condesce isn't especially heroic, not quite in the way Dave and Jake's were. Much as poo poo's gotten hosed up there's still some players kicking around.

-Kanaya, Jane, Jake, Dave, Gamzee and probably Karkat have appeared in the dream bubbles so that's probably going to become a more important place, since it's already got Jade and Calliope planning something, plus Vriska, Meenah, Aradia, Sollux, Tavros Feferi and Nepeta.

That's probably enough ramblin' bout Homestucks for one day, but after a year I've missed this sort of thing.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 25, 2014

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Wasn't that thing that gave John his zapping powers defined as a weapon when it was introduced?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Dolash posted:

-Gamzee's definitely dead, but I'm pretty sure he still has to go on and mentor Caliborn so he'll either be resurrected somehow or this becomes a serious timeline problem.

You can't keep down the clown. :colbert:

Also, does anyone else get a Battletoads feel from Carne Vale? Mostly the backing more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

-Karkat should probably be dead, but then again he's supposed to go to the core of the planet and get the genesis frog from Echidna, so I wouldn't leave out the possibility that he'll survive through some weird power or other and sink to the core. Or not.

I don't think Echidna wanted to talk to Karkat or Kanaya. She wanted the hero of Space and the Knight that helped her, and refused to speak to Jade because she wanted the real hero, but I took that as refusing to help the Condesce.