Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Apoplexy posted:

See also: Adam Carolla, a guy who isn't any different from any other radio host, yet stands out due to the luck of the draw.

Is this bait? Have you listened to other radio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Sorry I'm many weeks behind on the podcast, but I just wanted to post here saying Holy Jesus gently caress the Trailer Park Boys were boring as gently caress in interview. TPB's is like one of the funniest shows ive ever seen and I was really looking forward to that episode. I was surprised at how dull they are when not in character. What a snoozer. Are they always that boring or did they have an off day? Jet Lag maybe?

I think they might've just been high as hell. They appeared on "Getting Doug with High" and barely said anything. Apparently they were smoking a bunch with Snoop beforehand.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Apoplexy posted:

See also: Adam Carolla, a guy who isn't any different from any other radio host, yet stands out due to the luck of the draw.

At least Adam doesn't do the fake laugh that is the bread and butter of most morning radio hosts. He comes across as a lot more genuine.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The only 'luck' involved in Adam's career was turning the radio on at the right time to hear that KROQ wanted a boxing instructor.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Sorry I'm many weeks behind on the podcast, but I just wanted to post here saying Holy Jesus gently caress the Trailer Park Boys were boring as gently caress in interview. TPB's is like one of the funniest shows ive ever seen and I was really looking forward to that episode. I was surprised at how dull they are when not in character. What a snoozer. Are they always that boring or did they have an off day? Jet Lag maybe?

That's the case with many comedians or people known for portraying characteristic personalities in film and TV. They very often turn out to be incredibly dull/hard working/uninteresting. I was very happy to see that one of the podcasts managed to get a Mike Myers interview some time ago, and when I finally listened to it... whoo boy. Nothing like the character from TV, not even a bit.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Didn't Adam have Ray Romano on the podcast early on and it was like listening to a blanket talk about watching grass grow?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Boinks posted:

The only 'luck' involved in Adam's career was turning the radio on at the right time to hear that KROQ wanted a boxing instructor.

Oh, please. If jimmy hadn't taken him on, and drew hadn't heard him on the morning show he wouldn't have gotten anywhere. Or if rachman played his cards better. Or if he'd decided to drive off that bridge. He's got some talent, but he's certainly not special

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

WEH posted:

Oh, please. If jimmy hadn't taken him on, and drew hadn't heard him on the morning show he wouldn't have gotten anywhere. Or if rachman played his cards better. Or if he'd decided to drive off that bridge. He's got some talent, but he's certainly not special

By this definition literally everyone has gotten anywhere in life has done so because of luck. It's as silly as saying "He only got that job because the person who interviewed him really liked him and thought he would be good at the job, and the only reason he got the interview in the first place is because a friend who worked there told him about the opening." Generally we just call it networking, making friends, or talking to people.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ChaosMonkey posted:

Didn't Adam have Ray Romano on the podcast early on and it was like listening to a blanket talk about watching grass grow?

If someone could link to this, that would be great.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Boinks posted:

The premise describes many careers.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Adam has one of the quickest wits I've ever heard. If anything I think he's been unlucky in how he's gotten typecast from the Man Show. I'm still entertained by old Loveline shows 10-15 years after they aired.

Did anyone listen to Tom Cotter on TACS lately? They've had some unfunny guests, but I can't remember one who was actually a professional comedian. He didn't get one good joke in and the ones he did attempt were so cringeworthy. How did that guy almost win America's Got Talent?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

ChaosMonkey posted:

I remember this one and yes.

I mean, he mostly came across as really neurotic. Not as neurotic as say Fred Stoller but definitely like halfway there. I got the sense that he could have given a much better interview but he was doing the whole thing leaning back with his arms crossed for some reason. Just to say: I didn't think "man this guy is unfunny" I thought "man this guy doesn't want to be here".

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

pangstrom posted:

I remember this one and yes.

I mean, he mostly came across as really neurotic. Not as neurotic as say Fred Stoller but definitely like halfway there. I got the sense that he could have given a much better interview but he was doing the whole thing leaning back with his arms crossed for some reason. Just to say: I didn't think "man this guy is unfunny" I thought "man this guy doesn't want to be here".

I thought he was alright on Norm Macdonald's podcast (along with Fred Stoller, actually).

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This podcast can take me on a roll coaster. I guess this is why I still tune in. The one with Maria Menounos was particularly jarring - I was this close from turning it off during their "everyone should work for free" diatribe, and then they proceed to the genius Deer Limoncello bit. Also, they're playing Adam's very early clips from the beginning of his career and I guess I'm surprised how much he sounds like himself. Aside from the audio quality, that poo poo could be from last week and I probably would have a hard time telling.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think the show has been good lately. Seems with less on Adam's plate, the more he's putting into it. Alison also seems more comfortable pitching in. I still usually turn it off early if they have a crappy guest on at the end. But their booking has been great and it's mostly comedians who work well with Adam.

The Howie Mandel episode was good if anyone hasn't listened. "Blowing Seal?" had me rolling.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I expect that kid who called in today to be picked up by the Ace broadcasting network.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Someone let me know if they do the lawsuit chat again with mike cause some rear end in a top hat guest will probably be on and I'll skip it.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
The latest Ace on the House was a cut above, in case anyone's selectively listening to those.

Adam and Ray really seemed to be having fun being around each other, and there were some great stories.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

vote_no posted:

The latest Ace on the House was a cut above, in case anyone's selectively listening to those.

Adam and Ray really seemed to be having fun being around each other, and there were some great stories.

I keep waiting for John Ratzenberger to come back. He gelled really well with Ray and Adam, and actually knows a lot about handy man stuff.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Holy poo poo there's episodes with John Ratzenberg I may have to check those out.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Veskit posted:

Holy poo poo there's episodes with John Ratzenberg I may have to check those out.

Just the one, AFAIK, from a year ago. It's #48 on the current iTunes listing.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The Norman Lear episode was great.

Edit --> Larry King wasn't bad either.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 11, 2014

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Lorenzo Neal was my favorite Ace on the House guest. I have not listened to any episodes recently, but he was great.

I miss Ray and Lorenzo :(

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Eric Stromer is always good. Adam and Ray always do better when they have to dance for people who really know their poo poo.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
On Alison's newest podcast after the new year she briefly announced she's no longer with the ACS. The newest ACS show hasn't been released yet so I don't know more but I've got to say that I'm kind of bummed!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Same here! I came here to post exactly that!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kind of weird. Makes it sounds sort of sudden. Wonder if there was a big falling out.

Alison seemed more annoyed with the show of late and just going through the motions. I think she's funny but a bad fit for the show. There just wasn't a ton of chemistry between her and Adam. I think the only jokes they made off one another was when Alison would make some obscure 80's reference like Facts of Life and Adam would chime in with "I was just mentioning that exact same thing to Lynette today".

I hope they don't just go out looking for a "newsgirl" this time. Look for someone who can riff with Adam. The "news" aspect of the podcast is outdated and goes back to the old radio days when there was no internet. Bring in someone who can bring up topics organically.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
New podcast is out. Sounds like Adam fired her because she wasn't much of a sidekick.

drat shame, I really liked her. He has Gina something or other sitting in... I'm torn between seeing if she can make the podcast better of I should just stop listening.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Kind of weird. Makes it sounds sort of sudden. Wonder if there was a big falling out.

Alison seemed more annoyed with the show of late and just going through the motions. I think she's funny but a bad fit for the show. There just wasn't a ton of chemistry between her and Adam. I think the only jokes they made off one another was when Alison would make some obscure 80's reference like Facts of Life and Adam would chime in with "I was just mentioning that exact same thing to Lynette today".

I hope they don't just go out looking for a "newsgirl" this time. Look for someone who can riff with Adam. The "news" aspect of the podcast is outdated and goes back to the old radio days when there was no internet. Bring in someone who can bring up topics organically.

Seems as if she was fired for not being "side kick" material. In a way I agree but in a way I see that Adam doesn't even allow geusts to talk, let alone side kicks. I wonder if he'll allow her to use his studio for her show or if she is completely gone?

Either way I see it as good and bad. Alison is incredibly smart and funny but I feel like she dolidjt have a chance to shine as the news girl. But I don't know if anyone will have a chance to shine on that show.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's kind of cold the way he words it but he is sort of right. Alison is a crummy sidekick for someone like Adam. She is probably better suited as a host or co-host type role.

Gina Grad doesn't seem terribly funny from her previous appearances, but you can tell she is seasoned in radio. She knows when to jump in and actually talks into the mic. Not sure if she'll make the show better, but I think it is worth a shot. Bryan is still terrible and seems to be talking more than normal in this episode which is not a good thing.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

It's kind of cold the way he words it but he is sort of right. Alison is a crummy sidekick for someone like Adam. She is probably better suited as a host or co-host type role.

Gina Grad doesn't seem terribly funny from her previous appearances, but you can tell she is seasoned in radio. She knows when to jump in and actually talks into the mic. Not sure if she'll make the show better, but I think it is worth a shot. Bryan is still terrible and seems to be talking more than normal in this episode which is not a good thing.

Yeah Alison has stated that she has placed herself into a particular role on the show and I guess that's not what Adam was looking for. I'm really curious to know if they completely cut ties or if she's just off of the show but still in the studio for hers?

This Gina chick isn't funny at all. I'm giving her a chance but she doesn't strike me as quick witted or clever. Just a side kick. But maybe that's what Adam wants.

I noticed Bryan talking more. I like when he talks because when he "shits" on Adam's points it's usually with good reason. Adam needs to be poo poo on now and again.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bryan has a moment here and there but most of the time it's him chiming in with a personal anecdote no one cares about or repeating some tired joke that hasn't been funny in years like the Jack Silver voice.

He used to be great on the sound effects but he doesn't seem to even bother with them anymore.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Bryan has a moment here and there but most of the time it's him chiming in with a personal anecdote no one cares about or repeating some tired joke that hasn't been funny in years like the Jack Silver voice.

He used to be great on the sound effects but he doesn't seem to even bother with them anymore.

He was going over-kill on the last episode. Probably some sort of awkward tick thing to fill the space of Alison. I really am bummed that she's gone. I don't buy the excuse.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
That's too bad about Alison. I haven't listened to the show much lately, but I always thought she was really funny and earnest. Never got the "hey I'm just one of the guys" try-hard vibe from her at all, which is how all of his other "newsgirls" came off to me.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

On the plus side, we'll never have to hear the stupid Facts of Life knock-off theme again.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Red posted:

On the plus side, we'll never have to hear the stupid Facts of Life knock-off theme again.

No, instead you get Dawson with the shittiest news intro ever. Give me FOL all day long compared to that.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I hope this doesn't mean I'll have the lowest score now when I play along with the Rotten Tomatoes game.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Moniker posted:

He was going over-kill on the last episode. Probably some sort of awkward tick thing to fill the space of Alison. I really am bummed that she's gone. I don't buy the excuse.
Maybe she asked for a raise or something which precipitated the ending, but I buy the "not a sidekick" thing. Not saying it's a good thing and I haven't listened to the show unless I like the guest for the last few years but, opposite to how Eskimos have a billion words for snow (they don't), Adam overly-employs a single phrase to cover disagreeing with him or a different take or even just making a sidebar and that phrase is "making GBS threads on my point". There are definite instances of pointless contrarianism where Adam is totally right, but most of the time he doesn't want a conversation with the crew. He wants a monologue where people chip in around the edges. He's much better when he's reacting to what other people say and not going off his preloaded stuff (they served non-canonical food on the plane! I don't know if I want it round or straight in the back [figure it out]! I got 'tude from a minimum wage dummy!) but as long as he interviews people more than he does the "now do this bit" move there will be stuff worth listening to (for me).

Alison is smart and nice but I personally didn't want to listen to her much. She wasn't contrarian, she just had her own things to say, was sensitive and would get stuck on/ruminate on things that were personally relevant to her. She's basically a less-negative Mark Maron, who would also be a bad sidekick and who I also don't want to listen to much. Gina Grad was actually my choice back when I listened to the show on-the-regular, because she's smart but seemed more of an even-keeled "move the conversation forward" person, though really Alison turned out to be pretty good, too.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Tbh Alison was never a good fit for TACS but she is as far from the useless loving radio girl as you can get. She's really loving funny, knows how to riff and also when to let a bit end.

I always felt an unspoken tension with her and Adam about political stuff and I hope she finds something that fits her style better. She's way too talented to be held back by the obligatory "girl voice" role and she'll probably always do better being the host if her podcast is any indication.

Still feel bad for her though, always sucks to lose a gig and Adam is not exactly known for being sensitive with his staff. She'll probably never be mentioned again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Alison was great. I'm convinced she was booted because she wasn't conservative enough for him. Its pretty obvious that she runs liberal and often had to hold back when political poo poo came up. She is getting canned for the few times she couldn't hold back and very lightly challenged him. He takes the "don't poo poo on my point" stuff really loving seriously. I don't get it man, he was great but he has really gone off the rails recently. He is waaaay too full of himself and is now the blowhard he used to make fun of.

Gina Grad is really, really bland.