Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Chichevache posted:

How fast were you going that you put a hole through the jacket? :stare:

Probably too big of a jacket so the armor shifted when he fell and he slid right on the textile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Probably too big of a jacket so the armor shifted when he fell and he slid right on the textile.

Got it in one! the whole sleeve slid upwards about three inches, when I recomposed myself my elbow armor (which did take the hit, just not the slide) was basically on my tricep. This is what I get for losing weight and then not replacing my jacket. Well, I get to now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hey, now you know how they should fit when you buy a replacement. :)

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, all things considered it could've been way, way worse. So whatever, cleaned the little bit of road rash once I got home, and I rode the bike home so it'll be a new gear lesson not a new bike lesson.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

That's great, glad you came out alright. Those tires are pretty similar in tread as the ones on my KLR. They always feel fine but I'm constantly nervous about a slip when I'm leaned over, especially in the wet or something.

Being close to home seems like a recipe for disaster huh? I was about a mile away from home when I had my wreck.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Three minute mark local meetup guy takes his SV650 down an embankment on Banner Grade outside Julian CA.

To my eyes this was pure noob. He could have made that corner (among 100 other bad decisions he made).

I've met the guy. He hangs way off his bike when it's not necessary. Not surprised to see this video. Luckily no one was hurt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyKnt0e6vNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5G45JK6naQ

Stugazi fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 17, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks like he rode straight off the road.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A bike passing someone like an rear end in a top hat and then immediately crashing the next turn is my favorite crash video. This one was pretty drat good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
That was pathetic.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

That's some moot level stuff right there

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Moot so hard

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Wow, what is it about group rides and dick waving? He was obviously trying to show off. I'm glad to hear he's okay.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Stugazi posted:

I've met the guy. He hangs way off his bike when it's not necessary. \

Is that actually a bad thing? My riding course encouraged that because it increased your contact patch and grip and made it less likely to lowside.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

On the street? I don't hang off but I would think so, it has to make it slower to swerve, change directions, or stand it up to brake right?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

You don't need to hang off unless you're taking curves at a prodigious speed. And if you're not, you look like a tool.

yaaaa brevvv sick knee down in the cul-de-sac

also laffo at this pic I found on GIS

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Stugazi posted:

Three minute mark local meetup guy takes his SV650 down an embankment on Banner Grade outside Julian CA.

Sweeper, sharp turn, blah blah blah. People travel a hundred miles to buy a PIE in this town. That's really all the data you need.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Marv Hushman posted:

Sweeper, sharp turn, blah blah blah. People travel a hundred miles to buy a PIE in this town. That's really all the data you need.

I look forward to driving through it to buy BEER in Alpine...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Here are some pictures of me hanging off like you should. Coincidentally I look like a total and complete bad-rear end.

I tend to keep my upper body more upright at the entry of the corner and kind of 'fall' into it as I get to the apex.

Here's one I didn't buy that shows a bit better and doesn't make me look crossed up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Barnsy posted:

Is that actually a bad thing? My riding course encouraged that because it increased your contact patch and grip and made it less likely to lowside.

Tanbo posted:

On the street? I don't hang off but I would think so, it has to make it slower to swerve, change directions, or stand it up to brake right?

Totally anecdotally: I have tried both hanging off (not to a retarded degree, no knee down or anything) and riding normally on a certain corner I ride every day. I found that if I ride normally, when I get on the throttle the rear tyre tends to spin up and the bike slides a little. Hanging off this doesn't happen, but on the other hand I would be vastly less prepared for something unexpected happening because it takes a little while to readjust my posture to be able to slam on the brakes/swerve in the other direction. So I guess the right answer is somewhere in the middle?

I think if you're going fast enough to need to hang off on the road, you either know the road very well and can plan your cornering fully, or you're going too fast for a road you don't know. Because you have to be going pretty fast for posture to make the difference between a (competent-handling) bike getting out of shape or making it around the corner. On the other hand, above a certain speed I find hanging off easier and more stable-feeling than riding normally, but my bike probably isn't a good example for it.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

nsaP posted:

Here are some pictures of me hanging off like you should. Coincidentally I look like a total and complete bad-rear end.

I tend to keep my upper body more upright at the entry of the corner and kind of 'fall' into it as I get to the apex.

Here's one I didn't buy that shows a bit better and doesn't make me look crossed up.

You hang off the bike that way to let your girl hair blow in the wind.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It is fabulous

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Barnsy posted:

If you click through many of rnickeymouse's youtubes, you'll see a good selection of people hanging off properly and hanging off improperly. It's fairly easy to spot, the ones doing it properly -- even if they're not hanging that far off -- are making the turn nice and smooth, not wobbling around or throttling off and on. The ones doing it wrong look like they're just throwing their knee out because they heard they're supposed to throw their knee out and they haven't heard about the actual important stuff like supporting yourself using your legs and torso, keeping your arms loose on the bars, making smooth control movements, looking through the turn, maybe shifting your weight off the center of the bike to help the turn, etc.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

El Jebus posted:

I look forward to driving through it to buy BEER in Alpine...

I guess it's not all that bad...I have memories of it being an absolute touristy nightmare, but maybe I hit it at the peak of harvest season.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

It is fabulous

Which hockey team do you play for?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e: nm

xtal fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 19, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

I guess it's not all that bad...I have memories of it being an absolute touristy nightmare, but maybe I hit it at the peak of harvest season.

It is a touristy nightmare. It's fun to go through on a loop from San Diego but that's about it. I'll usually grab a pie for the guys at work so I can stop for a pee break.
I'm currently at a campground about 15 miles away and it's also a touristy nightmare. Camping here = parking your truck in a 30x30 foot spot and putting up a tent nearby. There are about 500 other people here and it's cold and lovely.
This has nothing to do with crashing but I'm annoyed I let the gf talk me into it and just happen to writing a post about the area.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Bugdrvr posted:

This has nothing to do with crashing

As long as you're there and have a truck, CA will take...146 Dutch Apples.

Actually, it sort of makes my original point, which was: why on earth would anyone turn it up in the middle of this, or the routes immediately in/out? It makes about as much sense as tailgating someone approaching a McDonald's. You KNOW you're getting a last second hard stop/hard right at the entrance, every single time. Golden arches = lane change signal.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

A bike passing someone like an rear end in a top hat and then immediately crashing the next turn is my favorite crash video. This one was pretty drat good.

Not an emptyquote

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Stugazi posted:

To my eyes this was pure noob. He could have made that corner (among 100 other bad decisions he made).

I've met the guy. He hangs way off his bike when it's not necessary. Not surprised to see this video. Luckily no one was hurt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyKnt0e6vNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5G45JK6naQ

That poor bike :ohdear:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Marxalot posted:

That poor bike :ohdear:

That poor SV650 never asked for this!!!! :argh:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

That poor SV650 never asked for this!!!! :argh:

Yes it was, did you see how little it was wearing?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Radbot posted:

Akion - if you don't mind me asking, which road were you on? If it's nearby I'll have to add it to my database of "gently caress this road", which currently includes Lefthand Canyon, US-36 between Estes Park and Lyons, and others!

I have firsthand experience that riding hard in lefthand when not familiar with it will do a number on a new-to-you 690smc :suicide:. So many decreasing radius corners, many of which are blind. Don't ride like a fuckhead and it's an amazing road, as are many in that area.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bugdrvr posted:

It is a touristy nightmare. It's fun to go through on a loop from San Diego but that's about it. I'll usually grab a pie for the guys at work so I can stop for a pee break.
I'm currently at a campground about 15 miles away and it's also a touristy nightmare. Camping here = parking your truck in a 30x30 foot spot and putting up a tent nearby. There are about 500 other people here and it's cold and lovely.
This has nothing to do with crashing but I'm annoyed I let the gf talk me into it and just happen to writing a post about the area.

Julian Cafe and bakery has some bomb rear end pancakes though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Well it happened. I crashed today. I'd say almost 40,000 miles without an incident is pretty good.

I was behind a BMW X4 going about 20-25. I looked down at my gauges: speed;fuel;time;temp;tac. Within those two seconds, the BMW was making an abrupt stop and suddenly signalling to turn left. I hit the brakes but couldn't stop in time. No idea how fast I was going when I hit him. He rolled forward a few feet and I flew over my bars, landing right on my back. I was very glad I replaced the back pad with actual armor in my jacket.

For damage: His bumper and trunk have some paint scuffs on them. Nothing major. My bike's plastics are pretty hosed on the front end. The headlight assembly, front and side fairings and front fender are cracked/broken in various places. My clutch lever is bent to hell and back. The left mirror broke off the bar end. The base for my massive trunk broke (It's currently being held on by duct tape).
Somehow, all the electronic and mechanical stuff is fine. The clutch engages and rides just fine. The forks appear unbent, as does the wheel. It's riding straight and true just like before. All the indicators and lights work. The radiator is solid.

As expected, I got a $175 for following too close.

Trying to find the positive in some part of it- I'm lucky that it was a low speed collision and that 99% of the damage is all plastics. The most expensive part will be the headlight assembly. It'll run me about $280 at dealer cost.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Bumma dude, glad you're fine.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I met three people (casually, not friends) who died on motos last year. Met in person and had a conversation type acquaintances.

That seems high to me. Is that about average if you know a fair amount of riders? Freaks me out a bit to be honest.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Stugazi posted:

I met three people (casually, not friends) who died on motos last year. Met in person and had a conversation type acquaintances.

That seems high to me. Is that about average if you know a fair amount of riders? Freaks me out a bit to be honest.

I've known about half a dozen or so people that have died over the 10 years I've been riding - 1 of them was a really fast, good rider who took stupid risks on the street, 2 of them died racing (or committed suicide after being paralyzed in on track accidents :( ), 2 heart attacks on track. Friend of a friend from crossing the DY into an oncoming car.

But that seems really high - no helmet use?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Pope Mobile posted:

Well it happened. I crashed today. I'd say almost 40,000 miles without an incident is pretty good.

I was behind a BMW X4 going about 20-25. I looked down at my gauges: speed;fuel;time;temp;tac. Within those two seconds, the BMW was making an abrupt stop and suddenly signalling to turn left. I hit the brakes but couldn't stop in time. No idea how fast I was going when I hit him. He rolled forward a few feet and I flew over my bars, landing right on my back. I was very glad I replaced the back pad with actual armor in my jacket.

For damage: His bumper and trunk have some paint scuffs on them. Nothing major. My bike's plastics are pretty hosed on the front end. The headlight assembly, front and side fairings and front fender are cracked/broken in various places. My clutch lever is bent to hell and back. The left mirror broke off the bar end. The base for my massive trunk broke (It's currently being held on by duct tape).
Somehow, all the electronic and mechanical stuff is fine. The clutch engages and rides just fine. The forks appear unbent, as does the wheel. It's riding straight and true just like before. All the indicators and lights work. The radiator is solid.

As expected, I got a $175 for following too close.

Trying to find the positive in some part of it- I'm lucky that it was a low speed collision and that 99% of the damage is all plastics. The most expensive part will be the headlight assembly. It'll run me about $280 at dealer cost.

Downside: Crashed. Upside: Naked conversion.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Stugazi posted:

I only personally know a handful of people who have died in my lifetime on a motorcycle. All of then were squid type incidents in the street on supersports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

(or committed suicide after being paralyzed in on track accidents :( ),

:( that's loving rough.

• Locked thread