Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I am looking for a simple tablet that I can use to take notes on for school. It would be nice if it could be hooked up to a keyboard somehow. I need something that can display PDFs and that has a nice stylus or pen system so I can take nice notes. It also should ideally be able to run Kindle and display my textbooks. I like my iPad except it doesnt draw as well. I tried a Windows surface but it doesnt have kindle for my textbooks, and it is a bit too fancy for me. Any suggestions?

edit: maybe a good combination tablet/laptop...like a laptop that is very lightweight that has a screen that I can easily write on?

There's a metro Kindle app for Windows 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Is there any logical reason for the new Nexus tablet to be 4:3 instead of 16:9?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Aleph Null posted:

Because 4:3 is comfortable in either orientation. 16:9 held vertically is fine on a smaller screen, but on a larger one it gets awkwardly top-heavy pretty fast (and it becomes more difficult to hold in one hand horizontally). And while widescreen monitors make sense on desktops and laptops because they allow for multiple windows next to each other at once, that's not an issue with an OS that only shows one running app at a time. The only real downside is that it's worse for video.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

16:9 makes portrait basically impossible, but I assume you mean 16:10 like most other Android tablets. 4:3 is better for most things. The good news is if you can't stand 4:3, there are lots of other Android tablets to choose from.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RVProfootballer posted:

16:9 makes portrait basically impossible, but I assume you mean 16:10 like most other Android tablets. 4:3 is better for most things. The good news is if you can't stand 4:3, there are lots of other Android tablets to choose from.

After the last comment, I realized I was thinking of the 16:10 size and not 16:9.
My tablet 16:10 and I use it in landscape mode 99% of the time.
What's interesting is that my wife has the same tablet and uses it almost exclusively in portrait mode.
I always assumed wide-screen was the way of the future.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Aleph Null posted:

I always assumed wide-screen was the way of the future.

4:3 is a much more adaptable aspect ratio for a device that can be used vertically or horizontally. It's almost never too narrow or too short for most applications like 16:9 can be, and it's far better for things like PDFs since paper tends to be much closer to 4:3 than 16:9. For something like a tablet that's mostly used for reading, it's a great choice.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

sethsez posted:

4:3 is a much more adaptable aspect ratio for a device that can be used vertically or horizontally. It's almost never too narrow or too short for most applications like 16:9 can be, and it's far better for things like PDFs since paper tends to be much closer to 4:3 than 16:9. For something like a tablet that's mostly used for reading, it's a great choice.

Look also at the Chromebook Pixel: 4:3 retina display... They clearly like this aspect ratio at Google.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

wooger posted:

Look also at the Chromebook Pixel: 4:3 retina display... They clearly like this aspect ratio at Google.
It's 3:2.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Aleph Null posted:

iPads have always been 4:3, and given their popularity, that's not a terrible reason.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Does anybody have experience with dual-booting Ubuntu on an Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 ? I need a cheap-ish device to do some remote systems administration. I was considering a chromebook just for this purpose, but if Ubuntu on a Nexus works well that would give me a nice tablet additionally.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

MonikaTSarn posted:

Does anybody have experience with dual-booting Ubuntu on an Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 ? I need a cheap-ish device to do some remote systems administration. I was considering a chromebook just for this purpose, but if Ubuntu on a Nexus works well that would give me a nice tablet additionally.

Ubuntu isn't released on any tablets last I checked. There's a very very buggy preview version, but you'd be insane to try to use it as a daily use machine.

What kind of remote sysadmining are you planning to do? You can probably do it just fine from within Android:

JuiceSSH is a great SSH app.
There's also remote desktop and various similar apps if you don't want UNIX.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

wooger posted:

Ubuntu isn't released on any tablets last I checked. There's a very very buggy preview version, but you'd be insane to try to use it as a daily use machine.

What kind of remote sysadmining are you planning to do? You can probably do it just fine from within Android:

JuiceSSH is a great SSH app.
There's also remote desktop and various similar apps if you don't want UNIX.

I was looking at this: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation . I feared it was not reliable enough.
I'm the only sysadmin for a small linux heavy company, and had to break off my holiday two days early a while ago because our mail server had problems and I couldn't explain them how to fix things over the phone.
Unfortunately just SSH only isn't enough for me, or I'd be happy with a tablet. I'd like the ability to display X windows over ssh as well, need easy multi tasking as well. That's why I really want a full linux system on something light-weight, but I can't really justify the budget for an ultra book.
I'll probably get a chromebook, Ubuntu seems to be more supported on those.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Got my Nexus 7 32gb. The packaging had me worried, looked like it had been crudely cut open... but the nexus 7 was factory wrapped inside and mint, and works flawlessly. Not bad for $170.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Samsung Galaxy tab, yay or nay?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're gonna have to be a lot more specific than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_series

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Plain "Galaxy Tab" is most likely the extreme budget line, which is not recommended. Galaxy Tab S are high end and have some of the best screens of any tablet. Galaxy Tab Pro are better displays than the plain tab, but not as nice as the S. Galaxy Note 8.0 is bad and old, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition is better and newer, Galaxy Note Pro 8.4 or 12.2 are different sizes and...maybe best of the Note line? No idea. Just look here, it's really simple: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wi-fi-tabs

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

My dad wants a tablet. I really don't have much idea about them apart from looking at this thread from time-to-time and my experiences with my lovely Android brick.

By default I'd recommend Nexus 7, but, my parents are getting old (eyesight), and for usability I reckon the iPads are the best.

And since budget is no real constraint I imagine the iPad Air is the best choice, just due to the weight difference alone. iPad Air 2 seems a bit of an overkill for two people not so savvy with tech whose only experience with touch devices is a samsung galaxy 2 as a work-issued cellphone and a absolutely lovely nokia phone with a symbian OS. Keeping that in mind, how easy is it to fill the smallest 16 GB option with casual use? (No, they won't be storing HD video files or music files in there, they wouldn't even know how to).

I'd reckon iPad 4 would be enough but the weight concerns me a bit.

I'd really just recommend another macbook for my dad, but he seems adamant he wants a tablet. MBP was their first foray for actually usable modern tech, and even then he would've apparently preferred a tablet. I've educated them about the fact that tablets are not for any sort of productive stuff, so I guess I have to let go on this and let him get a tablet instead.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 31, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dessel posted:

My dad wants a tablet. I really don't have much idea about them apart from looking at this thread from time-to-time and my experiences with my lovely Android brick.

By default I'd recommend Nexus 7, but, my parents are getting old (eyesight), and for usability I reckon the iPads are the best.

And since budget is no real constraint I imagine the iPad Air is the best choice, just due to the weight difference alone. iPad Air 2 seems a bit of an overkill for two people not so savvy with tech whose only experience with touch devices is a samsung galaxy 2 as a work-issued cellphone and a absolutely lovely nokia phone with a symbian OS. Keeping that in mind, how easy is it to fill the smallest 16 GB option with casual use? (No, they won't be storing HD video files or music files in there, they wouldn't even know how to).

I'd really just recommend another macbook for my dad, but he seems adamant he wants a tablet. MBP was their first foray for actually usable modern tech, and even then he would've apparently preferred a tablet. I've educated them about the fact that tablets are not for any sort of productive stuff, so I guess I have to let go on this and let him get a tablet instead.

Re 16GB, your parents sound like the kind of people who might feasibly get away with that space, provided they don't actually use the tablet for more than browsing. However, they're also the type of people who will be most harmed by running out of space and not being able to update, install new stuff etc.

Re which model, I'd not get anything older than an air, Apple devices may get OS updates for a long time, but beyond 2 years the user experience becomes crappier and crappier to the point that you wish they didn't.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
I currently have an original Nexus 7 tablet, 32 gb, wi-fi only.

I like the form factor and the Android environment a lot, but I don't like:
-color quality on the screen
-wi-fi speed (it always seems really slow)
-processing speed in general, it is a little lethargic
-speakers (not loud at all, my HTC One is way better)

Recommend to me a tablet that is in the same form factor, has similar or better battery life, is faster, and has some decent speakers on it. Doesn't need to be LTE/4G.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

wooger posted:

Re 16GB, your parents sound like the kind of people who might feasibly get away with that space, provided they don't actually use the tablet for more than browsing. However, they're also the type of people who will be most harmed by running out of space and not being able to update, install new stuff etc.

Re which model, I'd not get anything older than an air, Apple devices may get OS updates for a long time, but beyond 2 years the user experience becomes crappier and crappier to the point that you wish they didn't.

Yeah, apparently iPad 4 isn't even that available in my country any longer, which is a bit surprising. Hardware cycles are getting real fast these days with consumer electronics, drat. :psyduck:

Not that I doubt you, but I'd like to hear your reasoning for the user experience worsening - I mean fair enough, the device is just about 2 years old now and expected usage for the device is expected to go at least to or beyond 2 years. Apps becoming more demanding/crappily optimized? Less apps that take the old hardware into consideration? Apple crappifying the OS for older devices? Is there any history of this?

I'm recommending them to get a 32 GB iPad Air or Air 2 64 GB, pretty much.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

tomstuart posted:

I currently have an original Nexus 7 tablet, 32 gb, wi-fi only.

I like the form factor and the Android environment a lot, but I don't like:
-color quality on the screen
-wi-fi speed (it always seems really slow)
-processing speed in general, it is a little lethargic
-speakers (not loud at all, my HTC One is way better)

Recommend to me a tablet that is in the same form factor, has similar or better battery life, is faster, and has some decent speakers on it. Doesn't need to be LTE/4G.

iPad Mini Retina? Most other android tabs at 7" suck. Hell, just get a bluetooth speaker for it, I would recommend them for any tab out right now.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Dessel posted:

I would suggest you a used tablet to buy, so can your parents collecting first experiences and see if they can handle it.
Later, you can still buy a brand new one with the experience and knowledge of your parents what they like or miss (wight, screen size... It's helpful than if you go with your parents in stores that they can touch different tablets from wight, size and OS to make a choice).
A ipad is a good choice if your parents have experience with Apple otherwise catch a nexus (2013 version). Donīt worry about memory was my idea as a bought a nexus for my mom to test if she like it... but she like it and know now how to use the play store. 16gb is less if they start the app buying game :p
Tipp if you buy a android tablet buy a chromecast stick too, itīs a easy, cheap way to bring tablet screen on tv(not sure if it works with apple too sorry).

So or so itīs helpful to go with your parents in stores, that they can touch different tablets...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Still nothing worth recommending that isn't a Nexus 7? They're nice and all, but I really want something in the 10" range, if I'm going to be spending the money.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Cardiovorax posted:

Still nothing worth recommending that isn't a Nexus 7? They're nice and all, but I really want something in the 10" range, if I'm going to be spending the money.

iPad air 2

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Cardiovorax posted:

Nexus 9, comes out tomorrow. If your in the Android ecosystem you can use SuperBeam to transmit files from your phone to your tablet (over wifi direct, no need for wireless network).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I had a N7 16GB 2012 and should I buy a refurb N7 32GB 2013 or wait to see if BF (USA) sales are worth it?

Not a fan of the price jump w/N9 or overall size.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
Is this available at retailers you think?

Might have to give bestbuy a call...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

db franco posted:

Is this available at retailers you think?

Might have to give bestbuy a call...
Is what available at retailers? Tablets? Yes! Lots of them!

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Alder posted:

I had a N7 16GB 2012 and should I buy a refurb N7 32GB 2013 or wait to see if BF (USA) sales are worth it?

Not a fan of the price jump w/N9 or overall size.

take a look to this NVIDIA Shield Tablet

NVIDIA Shild Test on You Tube

+ quad core 34 bit processor + Nexus 9 grafik unit (real future safe)
+ Android 5.0 ready
+ pen and apps to use it
+ really cheap for a LTE 32bg version
(for you as n7 2012 user a + for front and back camera :p )
+ mini HDMI connector for TV
+ SD card slot

- wight (is a bit more as for example the nexus 7 has ore some iPads)
- a bit earlier power down as other tablets but upgrade to Android 5.0 helps
- only a black plastic case
- not pure Android like nexus devices, is a customized version from NVIDIA like Samsung or Sony Android versions for their devices but not so much customised and NVIDIA promised a quickly upgrade to Android 5.0.

what I read about this tablet It is a tablet between all chairs but not bad, you found a pen in the case and a very good painting & handwriting app but no need to use it. It's ready for all the NVIDIA things to stream your PC games but no need to do it and it is not so expensive as much others tablets with 32gb... but a the case is only plastic...

Spend a bit time and google some tests for this tablet.
Maybe you are lucky with this and don't panic all the play stuff like the controller on the pictures... if you want it you must pay it separately :p

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

5436 posted:

Nexus 9, comes out tomorrow. If your in the Android ecosystem you can use SuperBeam to transmit files from your phone to your tablet (over wifi direct, no need for wireless network).
Awesome. I've been waiting for a decent follow-up to the Nexus 10 for ages now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm looking at asking for a tablet for Christmas, and I'd like to have an idea which is the one for me. I'd prefer a tablet with 64gb (expandable memory a plus), but I am flexible. The primary use would be streaming video and listening to my music and podcasts when I'm away from home and my laptop, so cellular data is needed (AT&T). My iPhone 5 is running out of room for new material, and I don't plan on buying an iPhone 6 any time soon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CaptainYesterday posted:

I'm looking at asking for a tablet for Christmas, and I'd like to have an idea which is the one for me. I'd prefer a tablet with 64gb (expandable memory a plus), but I am flexible. The primary use would be streaming video and listening to my music and podcasts when I'm away from home and my laptop, so cellular data is needed (AT&T). My iPhone 5 is running out of room for new material, and I don't plan on buying an iPhone 6 any time soon.

Depends on your budget. iPad Air 2 64GB (or 128) on the high end, last years Air is not a bad deal if you find it refurbished on Apple.com either.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Duckman2008 posted:

Depends on your budget. iPad Air 2 64GB (or 128) on the high end, last years Air is not a bad deal if you find it refurbished on Apple.com either.

Wow, Apple sells refurbished iPads? That's nice!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the iPad Mini 2 is a killer deal refurbished.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

XenJ posted:

Spend a bit time and google some tests for this tablet.
Maybe you are lucky with this and don't panic all the play stuff like the controller on the pictures... if you want it you must pay it separately :p

I did consider the Shield tablet but I don't play many console games nowadays. I don't mind plastic cases and I don't pay that much attention for cases unless it breaks easily.

Since it's advertised as gaming tablet I wonder if it'll be waste of money if I used it as a normal tablet :11tea:

I usually stay w/Wifi models because I don't want to deal w/data plans.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Alder posted:

I did consider the Shield tablet but I don't play many console games nowadays. I don't mind plastic cases and I don't pay that much attention for cases unless it breaks easily.

Since it's advertised as gaming tablet I wonder if it'll be waste of money if I used it as a normal tablet :11tea:

I usually stay w/Wifi models because I don't want to deal w/data plans.

My own personal research and opinion is: it's almost exactly the same hardware as a Nexus 9 but 2/3 the price. It also has a widescreen screen, even if it does have less pixels overall than the Nexus 9. They're both top-of-the-line right now.

I'd say that I'll know more when my SHIELD arrives on Tuesday, but I don't have a Nexus 9 to compare it with.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
jesus yeah the Shield looks like a fantastic deal, especially if any of the weird potential stuttering issues the N9 is having are due to the 64-bit dual-supercorewhatever design, because the Shield has 4 32 bit cores that perform nearly the same in aggregate. You're paying $100 more for the 9 and losing the better speakers and some gimmicky functionality (and stylus lol) and just getting a wider screen. The Shield's 8" screen would probably be usable in one hand because it's 1080p, and it'd still be sufficiently big to be worth carrying along with an N6 (or hopefully GSM droid turbo)... hmm.

The Shield has an SD card slot too, is it possible to shunt game assets etc. off onto an SD card any more or did Google completely break that now too? Even if the 32GB Shield is necessary, that makes it almost a better deal than the 16GB compared to the N9 because the 32GB Shield also has LTE for $400, whereas LTE isn't even on the table yet for the N9.

I hate making expensive decisions and I still love my N7, I think I'm going to hammer the poo poo out of that HTC site for a couple Tuesdays, half price N9 would make the decision way easier :)

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
NCIX has a sale on a refurb first gen Nexus 7 for about half price going on until tomorrow.
I've been meaning to jump ship from my iPhone anyways, as I'm getting a little less inclined to their setup, and I want to try something different and have been looking at the Google/Android phones for a while.
I've been hearing good things about the Nexus 7 phone, and figured that this would be a good chance to try out the user experience without any real commitment before completely jumping ship.

That being said, I've been thinking of getting a tablet anyways as a toy, and the SHIELD is out, and I have a huge Steam library...

I'm only going to use either tablet to gently caress around on stuff. Surf the web, play some games, check some email. It's not really going to be a tool, it's basically just for entertainment.

Is that deal on the Nexus 7 worthwhile? (it's only available for another day, so I need to make that decision quick)
Or, should I just up and grab the Shield instead? I could ask for money for Christmas to move up to the shield if I was so inclined.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Fatrick posted:

NCIX has a sale on a refurb first gen Nexus 7 for about half price going on until tomorrow.
I've been meaning to jump ship from my iPhone anyways, as I'm getting a little less inclined to their setup, and I want to try something different and have been looking at the Google/Android phones for a while.
I've been hearing good things about the Nexus 7 phone, and figured that this would be a good chance to try out the user experience without any real commitment before completely jumping ship.

That being said, I've been thinking of getting a tablet anyways as a toy, and the SHIELD is out, and I have a huge Steam library...

I'm only going to use either tablet to gently caress around on stuff. Surf the web, play some games, check some email. It's not really going to be a tool, it's basically just for entertainment.

Is that deal on the Nexus 7 worthwhile? (it's only available for another day, so I need to make that decision quick)
Or, should I just up and grab the Shield instead? I could ask for money for Christmas to move up to the shield if I was so inclined.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'd find a Gen 2 if you really want the N7.
Woot currently has a 32GB Gen 2 for $170: http://computers.woot.com/plus/beasty-tablets?ref=gh_cp_3_wp_4
Amazon Warehouse has the 16GB from $115. I got mine there about a month or so ago labelled "damanged box" and it was perfect.
And last I heard there was a ton of them on ebay for stupid low prices.

I do just what you'd do, just screw around while watching TV. So much snappier than the first gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What tablet has the best RAM and storage speeds? I had a TF700 and the RAM and storage speeds on it a slow to what I would like. Play Store updates would make the tablet completely unusable until the updates were done.