Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
I've watched the Avengers trailer a good handful of times now and there's another shot where I can't figure out who a character is, at 1:28 Quicksilver is pushing past Cap and someone else in generic black/grey armor, is that War Machine or what?

Edit: Also on the plane shot where Banner is having a panic attack and clutching himself, they are minus Hawkeye and Tony, which I guess would be the part of the movie where Hawkeye is running around in the snowy woods maybe related to the twins, and they already hate Tony.

Also the split second shot with Steve, after Wanda looks mad and shoots a red bolt, is back in the 40s if you look at the crowds clothes.

Also, I thought it sounded like BS when those first story leaks came out that Natasha and Bruce would be a couple, but in the crowd scene in Stark Tower they're standing next to each other, and there's a split second shot of Natasha reaching out to grasp a Hulk hand.

Also, the crowd shot at the beginning when Ultron is talking about everyone screaming, Pietro and Wanda are dead center but Pietro doesn't have silver hair and they look different.

Sorry for my train of thought while rewatching it.

Buddington fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure that's Ultron or a drone or whatever.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Buddington posted:

I've watched the Avengers trailer a good handful of times now and there's another shot where I can't figure out who a character is, at 1:28 Quicksilver is pushing past Cap and someone else in generic black/grey armor, is that War Machine or what?

I saw a gif of this scene and it looks like an Ultron bot.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There seems like a lot that isn't being shown yet, which is fine by me. We haven't seen Strucker or Vision. We know Agent Carter is in the movie, and it may be flashbacks or it may be time travel stuff like with that short scene with Cap looking like it's taking place in the past. The ballerina stuff also sort of looks like seeing more of Natasha's history.

Wanda and Pietro look like they're villains at some point too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Didn't some early stuff about the plot say that Vision, SW and QS were on team Ultron at first, then switch? Maybe Ultron rescues them from Hydra, but they switch to the Avengers when Ultron reveals his kill all humans policy.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

^^^ Whedon himself said they are on Team Ultron. The twins, at least.

“They’re on Team Ultron, which makes things really hard for the Avengers because all of sudden they’re dealing with powers that they’re not used to,” says director Joss Whedon.

I expect that there will be a ton of CGI in the final film that isn't ready yet for the trailer, much like the early Avengers trailer. I bet we'll get to see some insane drones and Wanda induced visions by the end. It would be sweet if Ultron turns into this Nito-inspired pile of drone corpses or something :black101:

With a character like a Scarlet Witch and a bottomless CGI budget they should probably do some neat stuff.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm just kinda peeved that Cap keeps taking his helmet off. I know the shield is there, I know the uniform is armored, but WHY REMOVE YOUR ONLY HEAD PROTECTION?

Yea yea yea I know face time for the actor, but it just seems dumb when you are in a movie where poo poo is flying everywhere, there's killer robots that can squish iron man armor, and lasers and arrows all around in the air, and some kid who can run really fast and presumably punch pretty quick and you decide "Eh, gently caress it, I don't need to wear this helmet to protect my brain, I only need my FREEDOM BALLS and shield to protect myself!"

I'm also kinda pissed Thor never wears his helmet either. It's a bitchin' helmet man, put that fucker on and own it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm also kinda pissed Thor never wears his helmet either. It's a bitchin' helmet man, put that fucker on and own it.
And it doesn't even cover his face! What does he have a deal with Head and Shoulders?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm just kinda peeved that Cap keeps taking his helmet off. I know the shield is there, I know the uniform is armored, but WHY REMOVE YOUR ONLY HEAD PROTECTION?

Yea yea yea I know face time for the actor, but it just seems dumb when you are in a movie where poo poo is flying everywhere, there's killer robots that can squish iron man armor, and lasers and arrows all around in the air, and some kid who can run really fast and presumably punch pretty quick and you decide "Eh, gently caress it, I don't need to wear this helmet to protect my brain, I only need my FREEDOM BALLS and shield to protect myself!"

I don't know, I felt like Cap's mask looked awkward in the first Avengers. Chris Evans kind of behaved like a child forced to wear a suit to a wedding in that thing. He looks much more confident without it. The awkward look might have contributed to the fish out of water feel to Cap at the end of Avengers which undermined his impact a bit, imo. I like the more bad rear end Cap in The Winter Soldier.

I'm not sure what would look more natural though and it could be the acting/directing playing a bigger part in making it look awkward.

Edit: it would be cool if the could make Thor a little more God of Thunder:

Would need to swap out some space armor for black leather, but it would be cool to see him a little more like the Wonder Woman shots we've seen or just a little more Game of Thrones. A teeny bit more grungy. I think MCU Thor's style has been OK but not great. Even relative to the rest of the Space Asgardians. Loki looks great, for example.

Edit: looking back at some footage, Thor's costume took a step in this direction in Thor 2. Leather chest piece. Still a little bulky and ornate. Also, looking back with a critical eye, Thor's costume in Avengers is really bad. Pin stripe pants? That weird chest armor? The moulded cape arches over the shoulders? I think hype vision has helped me ignore it. The costuming for the MCU in general has come a long way since The Avengers

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 25, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I don't know, I felt like Cap's mask looked awkward in the first Avengers. Chris Evans kind of behaved like a child forced to wear a suit to a wedding in that thing. He looks much more confident without it. The awkward look might have contributed to the fish out of water feel to Cap at the end of Avengers which undermined his impact a bit, imo. I like the more bad rear end Cap in The Winter Soldier.

I'm not sure what would look more natural though and it could be the acting/directing playing a bigger part in making it look awkward.

Edit: it would be cool if the could make Thor a little more God of Thunder:

Would need to swap out some space armor for black leather, but it would be cool to see him a little more like the Wonder Woman shots we've seen or just a little more Game of Thrones. A teeny bit more grungy. I think MCU Thor's style has been OK but not great. Even relative to the rest of the Space Asgardians. Loki looks great, for example.

Th4r: Godbomb would be sweet. Maybe then we could get a genuine peal of two-block-away holy-poo poo-my-ears thunder.

Well, a man can dream, anyway.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

This is really bad, like modest budget television scifi bad.

This is better, although still fairly cosmetic as opposed to functional armor which is ok for a god/royalty I guess but maybe not well suited to Thor's particular background.

This is close to that God of Thunder spartan aesthetic, just a little too clean and shiny. Make it a little less costumey and ornamental and throw the helmet on and it would look pretty bad rear end I think. He had the guns to pull it off.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 25, 2014

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Did you see the shirtless scene for him in Thor 2? Dude didn't have the guns. Dude's still got the guns, goddamn.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

IIRC there was a thing during the filming of Avengers where Evans and Whedon weren't in agreement about Cap's costume. Evans wanted to keep the original movie one while Whedon wanted to go with a modern look.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Which is dumb because there isn't really anything distinctly unmodern about Cap's suit in the first movie.

But I also think the USO suit is probably the best. The mask is intentionally goofy, but Evans fills out the top really well.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

His costume in Avengers was really bad, so I don't blame him.

Compare:

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/chris-evans-on-captain-america-s-avengers-costume-change

quote:

When pressed about the changes to Captain America's costume we've seen in the set pictures cropping up on that darn Internet, Evans told The Playlist: “The first (costume) was a 1940s look, very utilitarian, something that would serve a purpose on the battlefield."

"But in The Avengers, Joss just had a certain vision in his mind about what he wanted Cap to look like."

"That’s what he wanted to see. It’s so nice working on these movies and the director’s a fan. He’s the dude at Comic-Con that we’re terrified of pissing off. If Joss is happy, I’m happy.”

Avengers:

Captain America: First Avenger:

Captain America: Winter Soldier

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Frankly, I don't think Joss Whedon has great taste when it comes to costumes. I'd keep him away from that aspect of the films and I think that they probably are in Avengers 2. The costumes in Avengers 1 are pretty awful in hindsight.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 25, 2014

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

This pose looks rather... unfortunate in the thumbnail. Bad Cap!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Looking at the photos next to each other, I seriously can't believe someone deciding that the "modern" Avengers look was better than the one in First Avenger. Unless it's Star Trek Nostalgia or something!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I liked the S.H.I.E.L.D. uniform most of all and was actually sort of disappointed when he went back to the red, white and blue in Winter Soldier, even though it made perfect sense in context.

Honestly, the best outfit is what he wore in most of Winter Soldier: casual jeans/t-shirt/jacket plus the shield. It's a really great prop.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

qntm posted:

Honestly, the best outfit is what he wore in most of Winter Soldier: casual jeans/t-shirt/jacket plus the shield. It's a really great prop.

I watched The Winter Soldier with my dad, and he also commented on how fun it was watching Steve run around as just a guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The ears sticking out of the helmet look really weird. Like, try and imagine Batman trying to pull that off.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I watched The Winter Soldier with my dad, and he also commented on how fun it was watching Steve run around as just a guy.
I've brought this up in CineD, but Winter Solider is the first Marvel movie that makes the Marvel Universe feel like the lived in place that it is in the comics. It's a movie where a guy named the Red Skull is definitely a whole day in 8th Grade History, people definitely look up jobs for Stark Industries on Monster.com, and seeing Steve Rogers riding on his motorcycle with his shield is a common thing that's probably mentioned on travel sites.

I also love how much the shield feels like a companion for Steve. In the first film and Avengers, he has it because Captain American has a shield. In Winter Soldier, it's such a big part of Steve's look and how he fights. There's a lot of character in how he slides it on his back.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lurdiak posted:

The ears sticking out of the helmet look really weird. Like, try and imagine Batman trying to pull that off.

It would look weird on Batman cause he already has the bat ears. I think it looks fine on Cap. Or maybe I'm just biased cause his Avenger suit had his ears covered and that suit looks so bad, especially right next to his other suits like that.

His WW2 suit still owns though

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The updated WW2 costume in winter soldier was the best one. Adding the middle red stripe and removing the grey from the shoulders were subtle touches that really tied it together.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Apparently there's a mystery Marvel Studios event this Tuesday, a lot of comic and news press are invited. Hopefully it'll be something big, like the unannounced Phase 3 titles and/or the Doctor Strange casting.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's just a really tight helmet, like Magneto's was in the first Xmen movie, and it gives Evans a headache?

Loved the TFA costume, hated the Avengers costume, Stealth suit was pretty awesome, but I love the new Avengers 2 costume. It's like a marriage of the best parts of the TFA and the Stealth suit.

Thor still needs to wear his god damned helmet though. He's had it for about 30 seconds in the first movie, and even then he carried it around or put it on his belt or something.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Pretty much all the modern Captain America costumes (film and comic both) are some degree of bad. Making Captain America unironically look like an 'actual soldier' is a really dumb idea.

That said, some have been more tolerable than others.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Thor still needs to wear his god damned helmet though. He's had it for about 30 seconds in the first movie, and even then he carried it around or put it on his belt or something.

Excuse me...

..what does a god need with a helmet?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sentinel Red posted:

Excuse me...

..what does a god need with a helmet?

He needs a helmet for the same reason he needs a cape...

It looks good.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This short from the European Space Agency has locked Aidan Gillen into my personal favorite choice for Doctor Strange. I can imagine him saying all the ridiculous cosmic puffery like "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!" in my head and it doesn't make me chuckle.

Ambition the film: http://youtu.be/H08tGjXNHO4

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The costumes on the Asgardians are more like physical emblems of their godly power. Remember Anthony Hopkins ripping Thor's clothes off before sending him to earth? How picking up Mjolnir gave Thor sleeves?

He should still wear the rad helmet, though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Loki's costume has frequently been an illusion or appeared out of thin air too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A guy who used to work at the local comic shop had a theory where Asgardian's helmets were like crowns, they only wore them when they were on duty. Heimdal is always on duty, so he always wears his, Odin only wears his during court or battle. Loki puts his own when he's trying to get everyone to bow to him. Thor, not caring for any of that never wears his helmet except at the start of Thor were he is about to be invested.

He still should wear it.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The Asgardians are, in fact, naked at all times. They just don't let us realize it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SlimGoodbody posted:

This short from the European Space Agency has locked Aidan Gillen into my personal favorite choice for Doctor Strange. I can imagine him saying all the ridiculous cosmic puffery like "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!" in my head and it doesn't make me chuckle.

gently caress yes. And that film is pretty awesome too.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The Asgardians are, in fact, naked at all times. They just don't let us realize it.

So they're all Girl-1?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SlimGoodbody posted:

I can't make up my mind on Aidan Gillen - he's played some fun characters, but I always feel like I'm watching somebody act, something about all his delivery feels like he's trying too hard.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

I can't make up my mind on Aidan Gillen - he's played some fun characters, but I always feel like I'm watching somebody act, something about all his delivery feels like he's trying too hard.

So he's already Doctor Strange, then. A subtle man would not say "By the Eye of Agammoto!" in response to anything, ever.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In a DC film someone would ask him where his tissues are in his apartment so he could say 'over there, by the eye of agamotto' dryly.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Teek posted:

Apparently there's a mystery Marvel Studios event this Tuesday, a lot of comic and news press are invited. Hopefully it'll be something big, like the unannounced Phase 3 titles and/or the Doctor Strange casting.

Joke answer: Marvel announcing the Spider-Man rights returning and introducing the character in Cap 3: Civil War

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

SlimGoodbody posted:

So he's already Doctor Strange, then. A subtle man would not say "By the Eye of Agammoto!" in response to anything, ever.

It's also why he's perfect in GoT. Littlefinger IS always acting (so was Tommy Carcetti, to a degree).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Gaz-L posted:

It's also why he's perfect in GoT. Littlefinger IS always acting (so was Tommy Carcetti, to a degree).

The accent slips were pretty noticeable as Carcetti.

I get the point being made, though. He just has this weird energy that throws me off, and I want Strange to feel like somebody who believes his own BS. I wouldn't boycott the movie or anything.

• Locked thread