Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
It's the theory that people go to to sound deep and meaningful except that the only people who would think it's deep and meaningful are morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

there's a ___ is dead theory for loving everything.

Psht next you'll tell me people have a theory about this for An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't forget that all video games take place in the Mario universe because of cross overs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PhilippAchtel posted:

It's a dumb theory because anime/games are incapable of introducing some psychological twist without beating the viewer/player over the head with German psychobabble. If the latter half of the game was a dream, the writers wouldn't be able to restrain themselves.

If the latter half of the game was the FF8 writers showing restraint... :stare:

Squall Is Dead seems semi-viable largely because the writers for FF8 were so terrible that it's embarrassing and people want to believe there's more to the game's story because it's so bad otherwise.

Krad posted:

This is perfect. Marche is the best main character in the worst game of the series.

Alba's desperately breaking the 4th wall in unfunny ways to steal that crown.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
All of us were dead all along and the Final Fantasy Megathread is our purgatory.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kanfy posted:

All of us were dead all along and the Final Fantasy Megathread is our purgatory.

The only way to pass on is to truly believe that every game is the worst game in the series.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If the latter half of the game was the FF8 writers showing restraint... :stare:

Squall Is Dead seems semi-viable largely because the writers for FF8 were so terrible that it's embarrassing and people want to believe there's more to the game's story because it's so bad otherwise.

See also: Indoctrination Theory. When you have fans of something, especially fans like the Final Fantasy Fans who've been riding high on the smell of sweet FFVII and have been jiggling in jubilation for the next game in the series, which has prettier graphics and oh my did you see that really flashy intro sequence?! And then the game comes out and it's... Well their minds are reaching? Bad? Surely not! And so they will latch on to whatever theory they can that lets them comfortably play out the game and say "It was not bad, it was just so deep and beyond the average person!"

Of course, years of poo poo FF games followed by long delays between them and of course the overall changes of theme and setting between games have no bred a culture of "Every game is the worst game in the series." And that Square can do no right, clearly incompetent.

Essentially the observation on public perception of Square should be recorded and noted for future revolts against companies. Like Bioware. Or Capcom.

Although in Capcoms case they've just come out to say "We hate you the customer."

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

See also: Indoctrination Theory. When you have fans of something, especially fans like the Final Fantasy Fans who've been riding high on the smell of sweet FFVII and have been jiggling in jubilation for the next game in the series, which has prettier graphics and oh my did you see that really flashy intro sequence?! And then the game comes out and it's... Well their minds are reaching? Bad? Surely not! And so they will latch on to whatever theory they can that lets them comfortably play out the game and say "It was not bad, it was just so deep and beyond the average person!"

Of course, years of poo poo FF games followed by long delays between them and of course the overall changes of theme and setting between games have no bred a culture of "Every game is the worst game in the series." And that Square can do no right, clearly incompetent.

Essentially the observation on public perception of Square should be recorded and noted for future revolts against companies. Like Bioware. Or Capcom.

Although in Capcoms case they've just come out to say "We hate you the customer."

when we say every game is the worst in the series, that means VII too. it is also a poo poo game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Onmi posted:

I would like to know more!

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
All of this talk about FF8's lovely writing as got me real excited to play it again. Can't wait!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Okay so the staff roll in Curtain Call is adorable on a level not previously encountered and was worth the price of the game all on its own.

Here it is if you don't own a 3DS.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 25, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

All of this talk about FF8's lovely writing as got me real excited to play it again. Can't wait!

Well if the story sucks, then surely the gameplay will make up for.....oh.

But hey, at least there's the music. You can always rely on FF OSTs to be the redeeming feature.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

there's a ___ is dead theory for loving everything.

But how many of them have their own website?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

aerisisdead.com

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Pierson posted:

Okay so the staff roll in Curtain Call is adorable on a level not previously encountered and was worth the price of the game all on its own.

Here it is if you don't own a 3DS.

I enjoyed this, thank you for the link. Might I say that I love the Final Fantasy main theme? It's got all the pomp and grandeur of a proper anthem, like, "yeah, you beat this game/this game is gonna be awesome!" even when that is not the case.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

But hey, at least there's the music. You can always rely on FF OSTs to be the redeeming feature.

FFVIII gameplay is the best part though. Gathering cards, learning and removing new rules, working your way up the card club ranks. I was surprised when they made ffviii's gameplay a minigame in ffix but its just wasn't as good probably because it was no longer the main focus.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

...But FF8's gameplay is loving awesome?

...did you actually DRAW all that magic from the enemies? If so then you weren't playing the game right.

VV Good man. Well I dunno then. I really liked the game because the GFs all gave you so many different tools and abilities to enhance your characters. My only problem with the game is level-scaling enemies because it's such a goddamn newbie trap. And Triple Triad is the best. And you can get Lionheart on disk 1 if you are truly dedicated :allears:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 25, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nope, I refined Magic. Still pathetically easy. You can junction 100 Curagas to your HP stat in no time and make yourself invincible for the rest of the game.

And that is without abusing Triple Triad. With Triple Triad, you can get Squall's second best Gunblade before even going to Timber for the first time. Oh and all Aga spells. Well, Blizzaga and Thundaga. Tornado though is the easiest to get 100 of, from Blitz Cards I think. That is another way to break the game in a few hours and never have to worry about doing anything.

FFVIII's game is hosed because Level Scaling doesn't work with the Junction System. You load up with the best spells and suddenly you have Level 100 Stats while you're facing Level 7 monsters. There is no incentive at all to get stronger.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

...But FF8's gameplay is loving awesome?

...did you actually DRAW all that magic from the enemies? If so then you weren't playing the game right.

I do that on early disc one just to cheese some things, sometimes. But there's really nothing that you can't beat easily even without broken junctions by the time you get Card Mod, Card, and the ability to mod items into magic. I dunno why people praise the materia system so much in VII. It's honestly like my least favourite skill system.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

God, gently caress the Sphere Break match against Shinra in FFX-2. It's literally 100% luck as to whether you get hosed by drawing a 1 sphere or not.

edit: Managed to beat it. You can win pretty easily as long as you don't get 1's, but you're statistically more like to get at least 1 than you aren't. Took me about an hour of having to reload and play repeatedly.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 25, 2014

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Ytlaya posted:

God, gently caress the Sphere Break match against Shinra in FFX-2. It's literally 100% luck as to whether you get hosed by drawing a 1 sphere or not.

If you miss the dressphere from winning the tournament in Ch 3, you can get another chance to win it from Shinra in Ch 5. Of course, you might not want to wait since it is a good one. And yeah, 1 core spheres are pretty bullshit unless you can keep up a multiplier echo which is hard to do.

One of the Fiend Tales from Creature Creator unlocks a trio of superhard Sphere Break players that give top-tier accessories if you win. The first one needs 500 quota in 20 or 25 turns, and they only get worse from there. I gave it a few tries then said fuuuuuuuuck that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

This is kinda lame but there's a sphere break thing you can download and each turn you pause the game and enter in the numbers and it'll generate a bunch of combinations that'll work

http://www.ds.arch.tue.nl/joran/Default.menu?menu=ff

I never tried the crazy 500+ quota matches but it makes beating Shinra really easy at least

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

This is kinda lame but there's a sphere break thing you can download and each turn you pause the game and enter in the numbers and it'll generate a bunch of combinations that'll work

http://www.ds.arch.tue.nl/joran/Default.menu?menu=ff

I never tried the crazy 500+ quota matches but it makes beating Shinra really easy at least

gently caress.

I wish I had this thing when I was trying to 100% X-2. Lady Luck is an insane dressphere and you can use it to get some really silly poo poo.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

morallyobjected posted:

I do that on early disc one just to cheese some things, sometimes. But there's really nothing that you can't beat easily even without broken junctions by the time you get Card Mod, Card, and the ability to mod items into magic. I dunno why people praise the materia system so much in VII. It's honestly like my least favourite skill system.

I liked the idea of leveling up spells as items. It allowed for some actual customization. Youcould use whatever party members you liked best. Plus as far as I am concerned its the only game that made "blue" magic worth a drat. I loved the enemy skill materia and I hate every single character in FF that uses blue magic.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I liked the idea of leveling up spells as items. It allowed for some actual customization. Youcould use whatever party members you liked best. Plus as far as I am concerned its the only game that made "blue" magic worth a drat. I loved the enemy skill materia and I hate every single character in FF that uses blue magic.

Have you even played FFV?

Also, how could you hate Strago, Quistis, Quina, AND Khimari? They range from "ignorable" to "pretty OK."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

morallyobjected posted:

when we say every game is the worst in the series, that means VII too. it is also a poo poo game

Well of course, EVERY game is the worst in the series

Looper posted:

That's all there is, there isn't anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, how could you hate Strago, Quistis, Quina, AND Khimari? They range from "ignorable" to "pretty OK."

Oh those, only really Quina works. Strago is massively outclassed by Gau in almost every way and the other two can only use blue magic as Limit Break. (Even if they are in the games with the easiest to access limit breaks.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That's because FFVII gave you the Manipulate Materia so you could make the enemy use the spell you wanted on the character you wanted.

I never bothered with Gun Mage in X-2 because, gently caress, it's just random luck and chance. I'm going to stand around alll day and let this boss hit me so he can MAYBE use the one technique I want on the one character I want. Bullshit.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Onmi posted:

Well of course, EVERY game is the worst in the series

That's all there is, there isn't anymore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blue Magic is a cool idea implemented poorly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

I never bothered with Gun Mage in X-2 because, gently caress, it's just random luck and chance. I'm going to stand around alll day and let this boss hit me so he can MAYBE use the one technique I want on the one character I want. Bullshit.

Lancet did it right. Making it a loving limit break was wrong.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Endorph posted:

Blue Magic is a cool idea implemented poorly.

It was terrible in FFXI. Oh, it was a potent class, but every other mage either bought or quested their spell scrolls. BLU had to hunt down specific monsters and let them whack at you until they use their move. Then you kill it and have a CHANCE of learning it.

I'd like to see XIV try the concept, because they seem to do everything right in comparison.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blue magic is insanely good in FFVII, to the point where it makes an easy game even easier even if you only get a few specific skills.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I really want to play Triple Triad, preferably online with some friends. Any suggestions? All the google results seem really weird and they're all pay to win monstrosities :psyduck:

Like yeah I can wait for the next FF14 patch but I'd like to just play it now, and I'm not really up to play through the minigame of FF8 to unlock triple triad. :v:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Minrad posted:

I really want to play Triple Triad, preferably online with some friends. Any suggestions? All the google results seem really weird and they're all pay to win monstrosities :psyduck:

Like yeah I can wait for the next FF14 patch but I'd like to just play it now, and I'm not really up to play through the minigame of FF8 to unlock triple triad. :v:

Do what me and my super cool friend did as kids and draw your own triple triad cards and then make cards of yourselves with A on all sides

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It was terrible in FFXI. Oh, it was a potent class, but every other mage either bought or quested their spell scrolls. BLU had to hunt down specific monsters and let them whack at you until they use their move. Then you kill it and have a CHANCE of learning it.

I'd like to see XIV try the concept, because they seem to do everything right in comparison.

The grind for Blue Mage spells was pretty tame as far as FFXI Hoops To Jump Through went, although everyone had their awful spells where you went 1/50/200 on learned/seen/mobs killed for some useless piece of garbage you'll never use or set, that you just wanted for completion's sake.

Also, it is worth mentioning that while tracking mobs down to learn the spells you cannot do without could be annoying, it cost you nothing but time whereas some critical spells for other jobs would cost your first born and half of your second on the auction house precisely because they were critical.

It was worth it at the end, at least when I still played, because a BLU with appropriate spells was pretty hot poo poo for a good long time. I would love to see a XIV implementation.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Schwartzcough posted:

Quistis uses blue magic? How do I not remember that at all? All the rest though, yeah, garbage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quistis uses blue magic? How do I not remember that at all? All the rest though, yeah, garbage.

That was her limit break.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

SSNeoman posted:

gently caress.

I wish I had this thing when I was trying to 100% X-2. Lady Luck is an insane dressphere and you can use it to get some really silly poo poo.

Do you need to beat anyone other than Shinra for 100%? I didn't bother with most of the players beyond getting Lady Luck and then getting the PSN trophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Meiteron posted:

it cost you nothing but time

This mindset is exactly what was wrong with FFXI, wisdom I can only impart as a JRPG old man at 27. XIV respects your time. The only aspect that doesn't is relic weapons, and even one part of that process is getting patched Monday for being a lovely grind.