Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Count Bleck posted:

Does anybody have the current Subsligh decklist?

I need to get in the standard daily on mtgo RIGHT NOW!

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=74254

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Entropic posted:

The bottom line is don't be dink and try to rules lawyer, just cast your poo poo normally.
Totally, I am sure if you do it frequently to fish for information it could be considered cheating if intent were determined, but maybe not. Its definitely a very scummy thing to do deliberately but everyone at some point has flashed 2 lightning bolts to their opponent at 6 life.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The worst is when someone tries to angle shoot like that to game the rules and their opponent tries to do the same sort of thing in response and then a judge has to sort that bullshit out.

If you opponent does something ambiguous, make them clarify.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Entropic posted:

The bottom line is don't be dink and try to rules lawyer, just cast your poo poo normally.

It almost always makes more sense to wait until the stack is empty before taking another action, so requiring people to ask "response?" 4 times instead of just "cast 4 lightning bolts" so they don't get gotcha'd just needlessly extends games and therefore events.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If they have no response it really doesn't take that long to go "Bolt? Bolt? Bolt? Bolt? GG." And honestly how often does four spells in a turn like that even come up?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The solution is obviously to just make every paper magic player carry an "F6" card that they can flash.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Entropic posted:

If they have no response it really doesn't take that long to go "Bolt? Bolt? Bolt? Bolt? GG." And honestly how often does four spells in a turn like that even come up?
Have you played eternal formats lately?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Entropic posted:

Not just spells, any time you want to do multiple things. That blog post gives some other good examples. They add up. Of course, there's nothing wrong with doing it that way, but you shouldn't be punished for trying to move the game along more quickly, and I'm glad the tournament rules are written that way.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

I like this version but Coordinated Assault is absurd and deserves more than a one-of IMO

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Entropic posted:

If you tap mana and put a card on the table you're going to have a hard time telling a judge you didn't actually cast it yet.

When you cast a spell, you still have priority, you can add another spell to the stack without your opponent getting a chance to respond. So if you tap RRRR and throw four lightning bolts on the table, the assumption is going to be that you cast them all in a row without passing priority, and then are passing priority with all four on the stack.
That's how I understood it, but apparently you can just say what you would cast and go back to the priority passes you shortcutted.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Seriously though, just clarify what you're doing and ask your opponent to clarify what they're doing. If you wanna throw four bolts on the table, go for it, but at least say "I'm gonna cast these all in a row unless you have a response to any of them" or "I'm holding priority and putting these all on the stack" as you do it. And if your opponent throws four bolts on the table, ask them which it is.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Wadjamaloo posted:

It is something that is just sloppy play and poor form though.

If you're playing storm and in the process of going off, it's pretty ok to flash your grapeshot and ask if they want to move to the next game or wait for you to finish winning.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Seriously, just reveal the 4 bolts and say "I have 4 bolts, do you concede?" If they don't, cast them one at a time. There's absolutely no reason to actually put them all on the stack at once.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

Seriously, just reveal the 4 bolts and say "I have 4 bolts, do you concede?" If they don't, cast them one at a time. There's absolutely no reason to actually put them all on the stack at once.

playing around Extirpate

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would not hesitate to overload counter flux in response to anyone casting all 4 bolts at once. Play it right, the holding priority assumption for speedy is reasonable. Next time be patient.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

I would not hesitate to overload counter flux in response to anyone casting all 4 bolts at once. Play it right, the holding priority assumption for speedy is reasonable. Next time be patient.

The actual tournament rules disagree:

quote:

Whenever a player adds an object to the stack, he or she is assumed to be passing priority unless he or she explicitly announces that he or she intends to retain it.

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
Nevermind, fixed.

AzureKing fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 26, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, if they cast 4 bolts and you overload counterflux sorry, 3 of them resolve because you get priority after the first one unless you are "unsure of the board state." That's what I was getting at by saying you could bait out things like that. The blog even gives examples where you tap out to pay for things, then untap the mana and do something different. I know how I would do these things: if I want to hold priority I say "in response" between the spells, if not I ask "response?" but frankly if there's serious money on the line and I can trick someone into a misplay, or they can trick me, I'd like to know about it and think about how it would affect my plays.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

vOv posted:

The actual tournament rules disagree:

What's the matter here? They cast 4 copies of a spell on the stack and then passed priority to me. What other possibility is there if they didn't let me cast anything in between the 4 bolts? That is seriously looking like holding priority to me. If they intended to cast it one by one they would have done so.

Or is this another one of those gotcha moments like the guy who claimed revenge vine trigger priority was passed after eye contact was made?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Chill la Chill posted:

What's the matter here? They cast 4 copies of a spell on the stack and then passed priority to me. What other possibility is there if they didn't let me cast anything in between the 4 bolts? That is seriously looking like holding priority to me. If they intended to cast it one by one they would have done so.

Or is this another one of those gotcha moments like the guy who claimed revenge vine trigger priority was passed after eye contact was made?

It gives players (e.g. newer players) the benefit of the doubt of free spells or other unknown ways the opponent could have interacted.

The way you describe it were the rules like, a decade ago. It sucked that way. e.g. Opponent at 5 life, tapped out, new player pitches last 3 cards to Wild Mongrel and swings in for the win, gets blown out by Slaughter Pact. Old rules were "get hosed, newb". New rules are "yes, you accurately determined you have the win on board, here's a lesson about how to tactically take care of it more properly next time".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chill la Chill posted:

It's because there's literally one "correct" way to play it 99% of the time, everyone knows that, and forcing people to stop and ask for a response every time they want to cast multiple spells just slows down rounds for literally no benefit.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

It gives players (e.g. newer players) the benefit of the doubt of free spells or other unknown ways the opponent could have interacted.

The way you describe it were the rules like, a decade ago. It sucked that way. e.g. Opponent at 5 life, tapped out, new player pitches last 3 cards to Wild Mongrel and swings in for the win, gets blown out by Slaughter Pact. Old rules were "get hosed, newb". New rules are "yes, you accurately determined you have the win on board, here's a lesson about how to tactically take care of it more properly next time".

how would the "updated" rules change this situation? Presumably the opponent wouldnt do anything until the mongrel was swinging for lethal

e: oh right, the color thing

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

A big flaming stink posted:

how would the "updated" rules change this situation? Presumably the opponent wouldnt do anything until the mongrel was swinging for lethal

e: oh right, the color thing

fake edit: yes, it's a nod to an old school tactic of always naming Black when activating Wild Mongrel's ability.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Has anyone else been getting the "deck submission error: log out and in again" bug since the update? Its happened both drafts I've done this weekend. The first time I was able to log in and make my deck in time, but the second I was stuck with 80 card decks r1. I filed for and got reimbursed both times, but still, annoying.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Cactrot posted:

If you're playing storm and in the process of going off, it's pretty ok to flash your grapeshot and ask if they want to move to the next game or wait for you to finish winning.
I'd agree with this. A lot of storm, elves, hightide, etc players also play with their hands revealed when going off to try and shortcut things. The thing you quoted wasn't meant to refer to flashing cards for a concession, but more towards just trying to do multiple things at once without being clear.

Chill la Chill posted:

Read the blog linked a while back, it has this specific example. The rule is in place to avoid these dumb "gotcha!" scenarios and the game state would be backed up if you tried to do this.
You can argue all you want chill, but the rules flat out disagree with you.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Structuring the rules in such a way that it's assumed that you've sequenced your play in what is usually the optimal manner seems like exactly the opposite of a "gotcha," honestly.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What is this U/B helmerator deck on the CardTitan stream and where is a list for it? Looks kinda awesome and I want to see more of it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Its probably pretty close to this.

4 baleful strix
4 force of will
3 transmute artifact
2 tezzeret the seeker
4 leyline of the void
4 tezzeret, agent of bolas
1 sword of the meek
2 thopter foundry
2 ensnaring bridge
1 helm of obedience
1 trinisphere
4 talisman of dominance
4 chalice of the void
2 dimir signet
1 academy ruins
1 darkwater catacombs
1 island
1 seat of the synod
1 swamp
1 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
2 darkslick shores
3 city of traitors
3 underground sea
4 ancient tomb
4 polluted delta

1 meekstone
1 pithing needle
4 toxic deluge
1 engineered explosives
2 flusterstorm
2 lodestone golem
2 trinisphere
1 batterskull
1 cursed totem

That was posted on the source by someone that I think might be him.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
White/Black deck is starting to take shape.

New additions:

2 x Elspeth, Sun's Champion

4 x Bloodsoaked Champion

4 x Hero's Downfall

3 x Wingmate Roc

I'll post a deck list soon enough and see what my goon brothers think. Only been playing a couple weeks, but I've done pretty well against the standard stuff I've played so far. I have a single Sorin in there as well and I don't know if I should add another one or not :3:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AnacondaHL posted:

I've never seen a tournament that couldn't start 2 hours after it was supposed to.

UGH It was horrible. Just got home and I live about 45 mins away.

Sampatrick posted:

They said there was a huge amount of traffic, and they decided to delay it to let everybody arrive on time.

We got there in great time. No traffic at all. Someone was bullshitting.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Speaking of deck tweaks, working on a completely psychotic sideboard plan for Jeskai Ascendancy combo that involves 4 Bassara Tower Archers.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Ugh, sudden changes like that just screw people over who have to make the long drive back or had other plans after the tournament.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Seymour Butts posted:

White/Black deck is starting to take shape.

New additions:

2 x Elspeth, Sun's Champion

4 x Bloodsoaked Champion

4 x Hero's Downfall

3 x Wingmate Roc

I'll post a deck list soon enough and see what my goon brothers think. Only been playing a couple weeks, but I've done pretty well against the standard stuff I've played so far. I have a single Sorin in there as well and I don't know if I should add another one or not :3:

I am very skeptical that a deck exists which wants both big Elspeth and Champion, they just feel like they go in two completely different styles of deck

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Maybe it's a bad strategy, but I figure Bloodsoaked Champion is a good 1 drop. Chief of the Edge as a 2 drop. She gives all warriors +1/+0. If I manage to play another Chief on turn 3 then I can immediately swing for 8 and then 12 on the next turn. I have two End Hostilities in case I get overwhelmed and some Rush to Battle and Take Up Arms. Like I said, I am essentially brand new and I pulled a Sorin so I went for white/black and this is where I am now.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
The problem is that your 1 and 2 drops are very aggressive, while your end hostilities and Elspeth are a lot slower cards (+ the wrath being a huge nonbo with your weenie beatdown). Having these cards in the same deck means that your aggro will be a lot worse, as you will draw these controll/late game cards early. While at the same time your late-game is a lot worse because you a have a lot of 1s and 2s in your deck. The result is a deck that is very conflicted in which role it wants to have, because of the non-synergy. You will have more success with a more focused strategy

edit: deck tech from gp stockholm with bw http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpsto14/deck-tech-bw-aggro-martin-juza-2014-10-26

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Seymour Butts posted:

Maybe it's a bad strategy, but I figure Bloodsoaked Champion is a good 1 drop. Chief of the Edge as a 2 drop. She gives all warriors +1/+0. If I manage to play another Chief on turn 3 then I can immediately swing for 8 and then 12 on the next turn. I have two End Hostilities in case I get overwhelmed and some Rush to Battle and Take Up Arms. Like I said, I am essentially brand new and I pulled a Sorin so I went for white/black and this is where I am now.

There's nothing wrong with the warriors plan but elspeth/end hostilities don't fit in there. They are good cards on their own and you can go a midrange route, but then the aggro cards won't work out well. Try to decide which angle you like best and focus on that. Sorin works out well no matter which way you go.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bylander better not win because I'd rather not have to deal with TWO control decks running around in standard.

Even if there is no Rev.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
I wanted to see that third Elvish Mystic smashin so bad.
He's reppin Your Mom's Basement, a cool little LGS in the area.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

God loving dammit.

• Locked thread