Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Dik Hz posted:

2012 BMW 328i

Oh dear god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Not even a 335i :(

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

swenblack posted:

I like the chart. Excellent job bringing facts and data to the thread. However, I think you need to consider inflation and the fact that a new 2010 Accord is a more valuable product (longer lasting, more features, safer) than a new 1975 Accord.

The chart is inflation adjusted and the increasing cost of cars was precisely the point of my original post. Whether there is greater value or not, cars are getting more expensive.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

MickeyFinn posted:

The chart is inflation adjusted and the increasing cost of cars was precisely the point of my original post. Whether there is greater value or not, cars are getting more expensive.
I don't think a civic 20 years ago is comparable to civic of today. What was once an entry level car is now a mid tier car. The Honda fit is now the entry level car.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

MickeyFinn posted:

If the chart is inflation adjusted, I'm curious about whose inflation numbers they are using. From 1975 to 2010, inflation is about 4x. Looking at a 1975 Accord, the price is listed as 4k. Was an Accord really only $1,000 in 1975. I really doubt that. The average transaction price on a car in 1975 was almost $5k http://www.autonews.com/article/19960626/ANA/606260830/1975-car-prices-brought-sticker-shock-then-rebates

Calling bullshit on this being inflation adjusted. Inflation adjusting the article's 5k average ticket price, we'd be looking at 20k in 2010, which is certainly lower than the average price of a car sold then (I believe it was hovering around 30k)

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

Calling bullshit on this being inflation adjusted. Inflation adjusting the article's 5k average ticket price, we'd be looking at 20k in 2010, which is certainly lower than the average price of a car sold then (I believe it was hovering around 30k)

Easy there tiger. I linked the wrong image (it is fixed now), the inflation numbers are from the BLS. Also, you can't use the average price of a car being sold during any time because it is a one sided distribution.

Here it is again:

cowofwar posted:

I don't think a civic 20 years ago is comparable to civic of today. What was once an entry level car is now a mid tier car. The Honda fit is now the entry level car.

Yeah, but that is kind of the point as well. People still think of a Honda Civic (or similar) as the cheap reliable cars they were 20-30 years ago, but they have been upgraded through the years to be a higher class and I daresay that is bound to cause some inflation in what people spend on cars.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 26, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

MickeyFinn posted:

Easy there tiger. I linked the wrong image (it is fixed now), the inflation numbers are from the BLS.

Here it is again:

Well that corrected graph does sort of debunk the whole "Cars are so much more expensive nowadays rabble rabble" Especially when you look at 1990 numbers.

E: I wasn't calling bullshit on you, just the graph. I very rarely trust graphs because it's very easy to lie with them. Note all the people in the thread who thought the graph you linked was interesting and telling but not even realizing it wasn't the right graph.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

Well that corrected graph does sort of debunk the whole "Cars are so much more expensive nowadays rabble rabble" Especially when you look at 1990 numbers.

E: I wasn't calling bullshit on you, just the graph. I very rarely trust graphs because it's very easy to lie with them. Note all the people in the thread who thought the graph you linked was interesting and telling but not even realizing it wasn't the right graph.

I look at that graph and see a price increase of roughly 1/3 over the period of 3 decades. That isn't a lot of money to you? This is the second most expensive purchase most people make. Edit: with wages stagnant (or falling) over the same period (after inflation) it just isn't shocking to me that people are taking out longer car loans. That is what started my desire to make that graph.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MickeyFinn posted:

I look at that graph and see a price increase of roughly 1/3 over the period of 3 decades. That isn't a lot of money to you? This is the second most expensive purchase most people make. Edit: with wages stagnant (or falling) over the same period (after inflation) it just isn't shocking to me that people are taking out longer car loans. That is what started my desire to make that graph.

What if the price increase is due to the change in the position of the Camry/Accord in the manufacturer's lineup, and not representative of the same level car over time? You would have to adjust for size creep in addition to inflation. e.g. a 1990s Camry is more like a 2009 Corolla so at some point you should switch over to using Corolla prices instead of Camry prices.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MickeyFinn posted:

Wages stagnant, and other costs increasing.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

MickeyFinn posted:

There's a term called car wallet or something that car manufacturers quantify. It's the average amount of money people have each month to spend on a car payment. Over the years that number has stayed the same or gone down and since the car companies don't want to lower prices to ensure that people can afford their cars, they instead subsidize longer financing periods in order to keep the average monthly cost of new car ownership within this window.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MickeyFinn posted:

Easy there tiger. I linked the wrong image (it is fixed now), the inflation numbers are from the BLS. Also, you can't use the average price of a car being sold during any time because it is a one sided distribution.

Here it is again:

Yeah, but that is kind of the point as well. People still think of a Honda Civic (or similar) as the cheap reliable cars they were 20-30 years ago, but they have been upgraded through the years to be a higher class and I daresay that is bound to cause some inflation in what people spend on cars.

This is true. I bought a new Civic in '12 and no lie, had no idea until just now that the Fit was cheaper. I always assumed it was more expensive, and probably would have gotten the Fit had I known.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Duckman2008 posted:

This is true. I bought a new Civic in '12 and no lie, had no idea until just now that the Fit was cheaper. I always assumed it was more expensive, and probably would have gotten the Fit had I known.

It might actually have been more expensive, considering how bad the reviews for that year's Civic were; to the point that Honda rushed out a refresh for...2013 or 2014, I forget. But WAY faster than they normally would. You might have been getting a deal on that Civic.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Mantle posted:

What if the price increase is due to the change in the position of the Camry/Accord in the manufacturer's lineup, and not representative of the same level car over time? You would have to adjust for size creep in addition to inflation. e.g. a 1990s Camry is more like a 2009 Corolla so at some point you should switch over to using Corolla prices instead of Camry prices.

cowofwar brought up something similar. But I wonder if this is really the case. From a certain point of view, you are both correct, but if people still think of Accords and Camrys as the "cheap option" then switching to the new entry model doesn't make sense. Part of the appeal of doing the data collection like I did was that it used a known quantity over the whole period. I tried to include the F150, but I couldn't get what I thought to be good answers out of searching, so I had to leave it off.

cowofwar posted:

There's a term called car wallet or something that car manufacturers quantify. It's the average amount of money people have each month to spend on a car payment. Over the years that number has stayed the same or gone down and since the car companies don't want to lower prices to ensure that people can afford their cars, they instead subsidize longer financing periods in order to keep the average monthly cost of new car ownership within this window.

I saw a similar stat for the food industry, I can't remember the provenance: If everyone eats 2000 Cal/day and the population expands at ~1%/year (those numbers are somewhat made up) then your business can only expand by that one percent a year. But since investors are looking for revenue growth of 4-5%/year, you have to get people to eat more every year and so someone invented lunchables - sorta food you might normally eat, packed full of extra calories and extra expensive.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

VideoTapir posted:

It might actually have been more expensive, considering how bad the reviews for that year's Civic were; to the point that Honda rushed out a refresh for...2013 or 2014, I forget. But WAY faster than they normally would. You might have been getting a deal on that Civic.

Oh, also good to know. What did the bad reviews say? I used Edmunds when I got it, and i checked again and the review still is decent.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 26, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

VideoTapir posted:

As long as overpayment goes to principal, a longer loan might be okay...smart even. If your required payment is lower than your usual payment it gives you a little more breathing room if things go to hell.

When my dad retired, my parents refinanced their mortgage so they could do exactly this. They only had 2-3 years left on their mortgage, they did a 15 year refinance but they're continuing to pay the same amount to put extra in principle. This way, if something unexpected comes up and things go south, they can pay the minimum to save money.

Retiring was probably bad with money with them but my dad was being a big baby about working and just wanted it to end. He should have squeezed another year of work out. Considering the way I see them spending money, I have a funny feeling they've already started paying the minimum.

Personally, I'm looking for a nice, cheap box I can rent to live out of so I don't have to deal with grown up things like money and mortgages. Cardboard is fine, but I'm willing to pay extra for corrugated. Double corrugated might be out of my price range, though.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Renegret posted:

Personally, I'm looking for a nice, cheap box I can rent to live out of so I don't have to deal with grown up things like money and mortgages. Cardboard is fine, but I'm willing to pay extra for corrugated. Double corrugated might be out of my price range, though.

Get a tarp over that box like a pup tent and put a pallet under it to get it off the ground and you've got year round living.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Renegret posted:

When my dad retired, my parents refinanced their mortgage so they could do exactly this. They only had 2-3 years left on their mortgage, they did a 15 year refinance but they're continuing to pay the same amount to put extra in principle. This way, if something unexpected comes up and things go south, they can pay the minimum to save money.

If they had a 30 year mortgage, those last couple of years are mostly composed of principle. They probably had to pay refi costs which makes this a very bad with money move. Some genius mortgage broker sold them on that. A much better move would have been a no fee HELOC so if they couldn't make a payment draw from that, if everything was kosher not use it.

Be prepared for having your parents move in your basement or attic!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, also good to know. What did the bad reviews say? I used Edmunds when I got it, and i checked again and the review still is decent.

It was Consumer Reports (usually the Civic's biggest fan) who panned it. Everyone else was more along the lines of "good but not the best." It's the Civic, it's supposed to be the best. The CR review is what lit the fire under Honda's rear end, because your typical non-ricer Civic buyer is the sort who just buys what CR tells them to buy.

http://jalopnik.com/5826679/how-the-honda-civic-went-from-first-to-worst

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Also that price chart doesn't take into account things like 0 or .9% financing. Effectively this the car company dropping the price of the car without dropping the price.

Did these exist in the 70's?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

mysteryberto posted:

Also that price chart doesn't take into account things like 0 or .9% financing. Effectively this the car company dropping the price of the car without dropping the price.

Did these exist in the 70's?

Actually, I've seen some claims that 0% financing and its ilk is built in to the price of the car, suggesting that it raises prices. While I haven't checked, I seriously doubt Honda would let you borrow from them at <1% when 10 year treasuries were returning 10%+.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

It was Consumer Reports (usually the Civic's biggest fan) who panned it. Everyone else was more along the lines of "good but not the best." It's the Civic, it's supposed to be the best. The CR review is what lit the fire under Honda's rear end, because your typical non-ricer Civic buyer is the sort who just buys what CR tells them to buy.

http://jalopnik.com/5826679/how-the-honda-civic-went-from-first-to-worst

So does that make it a better deal due to low resale value?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Shipon posted:

So does that make it a better deal due to low resale value?

It will at one point be one of the least sought-after Civics, so probably a little bit, if you're comparing to other Civics.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I don't know what the Civics are like now, but I bought my manual 2000 DX hatchback new in 2001 for 15.5k CDN and sold it 2 years ago with 120,000 km and no major repairs on it for 3.5k. I guess getting 20% of my vehicle's value back after 10 years is good with money. Not sure if the ecstatic Korean kid who bought it was. He really really wanted a Civic DX for some reason.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2ke2kz/shifting_debt_around_were_having_a_baby/?sort=confidence

$30,000 personal loan, check.

$100,000 student loan, check.

Spends $1000/mo on food. Check.

No health insurance. Baby on the way.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Saros posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2ke2kz/shifting_debt_around_were_having_a_baby/?sort=confidence

Time-travelling Zaurg?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Jesus. Motherfucking. Christ.

PS WHAT FRIEND LOANS YOU THAT KIND OF MONEY????

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
He never said why he had that much of a loan, just that is was debt. I wasthinking wedding expenses since his wife is also eating 1k a month of organic food, but his post history says he was married in front of a judge.

Wow, and he's about to go down to a 1 income family. He also claims to have a finance degree.

His post history is full of of a mixture of sadness and comedy gold though. Just 12 days ago he said he was 600 days alcohol free, but he was spending 1k a month on booze, but he also says he can manage his finances now.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
His bright idea for how to get out of the hole was to deliberately take on 6k of credit card debt :allears:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Weatherman posted:

Time-travelling Zaurg?

Incredibly disappointing lack of wonderhangers and pool tables

The more I look at that guy the more appalled I am by his insane thinking.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

MickeyFinn posted:

Actually, I've seen some claims that 0% financing and its ilk is built in to the price of the car, suggesting that it raises prices. While I haven't checked, I seriously doubt Honda would let you borrow from them at <1% when 10 year treasuries were returning 10%+.

They don't, they charge the dealer which is why most deals are $x amount back or 0% financing.

It's called "dealer reserve" when the dealer fronts a flat fee for the finance charge.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

TLG James posted:

He never said why he had that much of a loan, just that is was debt. I wasthinking wedding expenses since his wife is also eating 1k a month of organic food, but his post history says he was married in front of a judge.

Wow, and he's about to go down to a 1 income family. He also claims to have a finance degree.

His post history is full of of a mixture of sadness and comedy gold though. Just 12 days ago he said he was 600 days alcohol free, but he was spending 1k a month on booze, but he also says he can manage his finances now.

He's being super vague on what that 1k in food is on. I'm betting a big chunk of it is the alcohol problem he's hiding

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Not a Children posted:

He's being super vague on what that 1k in food is on. I'm betting a big chunk of it is the alcohol problem he's hiding

Maybe he's off the booze but on the junk?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Jesus. Motherfucking. Christ.

PS WHAT FRIEND LOANS YOU THAT KIND OF MONEY????

If this guy were to declare bankruptcy, what would happen to the personal loan? Would the friend just be completely out of luck?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think both he and the friend would be in big trouble for having such a large personal loan done in what's a pretty shady manner, without it being reported to the credit bureaus or the IRS.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Saros posted:

Why the hell is "I'm $200,000 in debt" in these posts always followed soon after by "I'd like to buy a home soon". Dude, that's not a priority at the moment.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Why the hell is "I'm $200,000 in debt" in these posts always followed soon after by "I'd like to buy a home soon". Dude, that's not a priority at the moment.

It actually follows quite naturally, when you think about how they ended up 200k in debt.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I still remember talking to undergrad students back in University about student loans. They all had a very cavalier, stupidly-simplistic outlook on it. They always said, "I'm not worried about my student loan. Student debt is good debt, and I can always roll it into my mortgage."

Yep. Why pay Prime + whatever% on a student loan, when I can combine it with a mortgage and compound the the poo poo out of my interest costs?

:suicide:

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

melon cat posted:

I still remember talking to undergrad students back in University about student loans. They all had a very cavalier, stupidly-simplistic outlook on it. They always said, "I'm not worried about my student loan. Student debt is good debt, and I can always roll it into my mortgage."

Yep. Why pay Prime + whatever% on a student loan, when I can combine it with a mortgage and compound the the poo poo out of my interest costs?

That's something I would do though for a different reason. Because mortgage debt is can be discharged in bankruptcy while educational debt can not. If the rates are comparable, I would prefer to take on mortgage debt. If I get into financial difficulties, I would be free and clear in 7 years if I declare bankruptcy.

Granted your students aren't thinking this far ahead but a broken clock will always be right twice a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

melon cat posted:

Interestingly, in the UK the student loan is probably the best loan you can possibly get. Interest rate is the base rate + 1%, capped at RPI (inflation), so currently 1.5%. Repayments are set at 9% of your income above £16,910. Easy.

• Locked thread