Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I totally get paradox's motivation when they delibrately make mechanics inferior in order to spur you on to reform or some sort of mechanics where you ascend but whenever they do it, it's so painful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

RagnarokAngel posted:

I totally get paradox's motivation when they delibrately make mechanics inferior in order to spur you on to reform or some sort of mechanics where you ascend but whenever they do it, it's so painful

Or just trade bonuses and gambles for stability when you reform your inheritance laws, letting everything have its niche and place.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are there any acute bugs in the beta to know about?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Did they fix the ability to stay in a perpetual war, raiding with huge stacks of tribal armies, stacking "exalted among men" (and the associated vassal opinion buff/+diplo) near infinitely?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Elendil004 posted:

Did they fix the ability to stay in a perpetual war, raiding with huge stacks of tribal armies, stacking "exalted among men" (and the associated vassal opinion buff/+diplo) near infinitely?

Exalted Among Men is once per lifetime now, so yeah

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm still getting CTDs every few decades when playing the latest beta, vanilla, with no mods running or anything. The Abbasids also seem to be made of teflon, since decadence still doesn't stick to them.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DStecks posted:

Is there a reason why I wouldn't be able to appoint viceroys? To check it out, I booted up a game at the 100-years war bookmark as the HRE, and created a couple kingdom titles; but I never see a "create viceroyalty" button in diplomacy when I'm looking at the local dukes. I have the tech.

I thingk the beta patch busted it. If you look at the tech for legalism the levels where you unlock viceroys are blank.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

RagnarokAngel posted:

This is true and a lot of it is 'hard just because'. It isn't fun and is a very lazy way to artificially inflate difficulty. Sad to say a lot of the changes in Charlemagne are like this and not only ones to spur on reform. Gavelkind was made worse with Elective Gavelkind. Retinues having a standing cost was fine, but they were nerfed so much that they were basically replaced with mercs and rendered useless. Adventurers, instead of becoming a late game threat, behave more like random hordes that bear no respect to your levies. I've seen a lot of players simply re-loading whenever they experience an adventurer event simply to not bother with them since assassination was removed. The whole viceroy-vassal system was implemented to prevent blobbing, but it doesn't seem to have mattered to the AI all that much at all. I've still seen massive AI blobs. Making Elective Succession harder pointlessly even if you have 90-100 relations with all your vassals, which just makes people use another form of succession and avoid it altogether because there is no recourse to get the heir you want. Even if everyone worships you and there is no rational/political reason for them to oppose a great heir. Removing the gold from banishment/imprison simply because some players had no self control and it was 'gamey', while at the same time introducing 'gamey' mechanics (I never used this, but I was happy to have the option). Actually using 'multiplayer balance' as a laughable justification for removing the assassination decision.

The only bright side to all of this is that there are console commands and LUA editing to counteract some of this. But Paradox seriously needs to get its poo poo together and do differing difficulty levels or have the options to turn some of this poo poo on and off like other games do. Because they really cannot improve difficulty naturally with any competence.

THE BAR posted:

Or just trade bonuses and gambles for stability when you reform your inheritance laws, letting everything have its niche and place.

That would be ideal. Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 25, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

To anyone who is pissing and moaning about retinues...have you ever actually used them. They still exist, and you can still use them to gain an edge over the retarded computer players. In my current game, I'm not that large but I have a force of about 2600 men on permanent retainer, which costs maybe half a ducat a month to maintain when full.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Started as Sjælland, took over 2/3 of Sweden and bits of Norway. Saxony, weak as poo poo gets eaten by West Francia. Revolts, get 6 times as many troops and waltzes up and wipes me out. Great fun.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm still getting CTDs every few decades when playing the latest beta

I have one that is almost repeatable. Gonna try and nail it down a little bit more.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I do think that adventurers might need to be tinkered with. I had an adventurer come for me yesterday that was out of diplomatic range so I couldn't use my beastly spymaster to murder him. Even at my full strength and with the 2 merc companies available to East Africans, he still outnumbered me. Fortunately he bought his troops over one 4k troops stack at a time and I crushed them piecemeal. Could have been sticky otherwise.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Adventurers are a great mechanic but the tuning on them is super whack, they need to have way less troops.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

The only bright side to all of this is that there are console commands and LUA editing to counteract some of this. But Paradox seriously needs to get its poo poo together and do differing difficulty levels or have the options to turn some of this poo poo on and off like other games do. Because they really cannot improve difficulty naturally with any competence.

I was reading the paradox forums to see if you could revert the banish money thing (you can) and came across this

quote:

You aren't supposed to like vassal limits, but it's good for you and it builds character. Sort of like eating broccoli.
Which made me laugh because paradox patches do feel like that quite often.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

One of the things that makes a game like CKII fun though is succeeding despite all the stupid bullshit it throws at you. Early game, anyway. Once you get a huge empire and a gigantic retinue you can just roll around, conquer everything, and give no fucks.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Adventurers are a great mechanic but the tuning on them is super whack, they need to have way less troops.

I don't think they need way less troops because your personal levies seem to regenerate way faster now, but tuning, yeah.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Can you tab out of the game on OS X now? Longshot I know (:jerkbag:) but it's my #1 most desired feature and it would be cool if the big patch/DLC addressed this.

Can't you play in borderless (fullscreen) windowed mode?

Baron Porkface posted:

My defines.lua got reset when I switched to the beta version, which was a bit annoying as I had made changes to it, but perhaps it does that whenever a new version comes out. Haven't noticed anything else.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

To anyone who is pissing and moaning about retinues...have you ever actually used them. They still exist, and you can still use them to gain an edge over the retarded computer players. In my current game, I'm not that large but I have a force of about 2600 men on permanent retainer, which costs maybe half a ducat a month to maintain when full.
Yea and they've been dragged down to the level that the ones for W-Africans are now almost decent in comparison, though them having poo poo lands, poo poo mercenaries (One loving Mercenary company. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea????) and all of their lands being tribal surrounded by blobby muslims makes them even more poo poo than usual.

Not being able to mercspam just makes it more obvious how absolutely piddly they are, especially when the dickwad Abrahamics can spam mercs, holy orders and their inbred ally mob willy-nilly.

The W-African lack of mercs, events and really anything is still lovely as gently caress, btw. Still, it's very satisfying when you then go on and finally steamroll their precious Norse later on.

I quite like Elective Gavelkind though, because it is absolutely meant to be the shittiest system possible which is just a nod to realism in that it's how the pagans operated a lot of the time. Not being able to influence it at all though is just lazy on the end of Paradox.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yea and they've been dragged down to the level that the ones for W-Africans are now almost decent in comparison, though them having poo poo lands, poo poo mercenaries (One loving Mercenary company. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea????) and all of their lands being tribal surrounded by blobby muslims makes them even more poo poo than usual.

Not being able to mercspam just makes it more obvious how absolutely piddly they are, especially when the dickwad Abrahamics can spam mercs, holy orders and their inbred ally mob willy-nilly.

The W-African lack of mercs, events and really anything is still lovely as gently caress, btw. Still, it's very satisfying when you then go on and finally steamroll their precious Norse later on.

I quite like Elective Gavelkind though, because it is absolutely meant to be the shittiest system possible which is just a nod to realism in that it's how the pagans operated a lot of the time. Not being able to influence it at all though is just lazy on the end of Paradox.

Sounds like that's a problem with West africans, and not retinues.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Could someone explain why I'm getting titles lost on succession and different heirs when all of my realms are primogeniture?

Edit: Found out, son has Born in the Purple while my Grandson (guy inheriting everything else) doesn't.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 26, 2014

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

West Africa should honestly just not exist because its half-baked implementation just pisses people (and me) off.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

canada jezus posted:

I was reading the paradox forums to see if you could revert the banish money thing (you can) and came across this

Which made me laugh because paradox patches do feel like that quite often.

They really do, except for me I don't see any benefit to it. It's not fun, it isn't challenging, it is like wading through unpalatable garbage to maybe get to desert. It feels more and more like a chore and less and less fun. Honestly, at this point, I've waded through enough Paradox bullshit that I don't need any more of it.

If other people do because they've mastered the game so much they need these changes to pose any modicum of challenge, then make a difficulty setting for them or customization settings ala Anno. For now, I'll just edit any of this nonsensical poo poo out.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

West African is actually somewhat more tolerable in the Charlemagne start. You just have to act really fast before the Umayyads start pissing all over your holy sites.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SkySteak posted:

Could someone explain why I'm getting titles lost on succession and different heirs when all of my realms are primogeniture?

Edit: Found out, son has Born in the Purple while my Grandson (guy inheriting everything else) doesn't.

Make him a Despot (I think) and it counts as Born in the Purple for inheritance.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So, about tribal pagans moving to feudalism...

In my capital I have the stone hillfort, and various other buildings that seem to properly upgrade to their castle variants (thanks beta patch for the tool tips). Every other county I control also has a max upgraded stonefort, as I upgraded all four identically.

When I hit the button to change to feudal, my capital's tribe upgrades to a castle level barony, and all the upgrades go through. Nothing changes in any of my other counties, though.

Is the intention for me to manually purchase a new holding in each county and get rid of the old tribal holdings in each place, or is something not quite working right? It just seems like a lose-lose situation to have all my levies disappear, and be slammed with a bunch of wrong-demense holding penalties as well, as I can only respectably hold my capital county.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I thingk the beta patch busted it. If you look at the tech for legalism the levels where you unlock viceroys are blank.

No, you just can't see the laws the tech unlocks if you aren't a King/Emperor for some reason.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So, about tribal pagans moving to feudalism...

In my capital I have the stone hillfort, and various other buildings that seem to properly upgrade to their castle variants (thanks beta patch for the tool tips). Every other county I control also has a max upgraded stonefort, as I upgraded all four identically.

When I hit the button to change to feudal, my capital's tribe upgrades to a castle level barony, and all the upgrades go through. Nothing changes in any of my other counties, though.

Is the intention for me to manually purchase a new holding in each county and get rid of the old tribal holdings in each place, or is something not quite working right? It just seems like a lose-lose situation to have all my levies disappear, and be slammed with a bunch of wrong-demense holding penalties as well, as I can only respectably hold my capital county.

Are you running the beta patch? Any time you have a stone hill fort in a province you should get a decision to upgrade your stone hill forts to castles.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rumda posted:

This is why you never land your immediate family.
Or at least get them married first.

Dapper Dan posted:

I am seriously done with Gavelkind until it gets fixed to sanely distribute your territory. A will system where you dictate who inherits what is the most obvious. Make kids who think that they got gipped be more likely to revolt or something.

It makes no loving sense currently and only exists to screw over players, a sure sign of a poo poo mechanic. I am tired of crossing my fingers and hoping I get my capital. I don't care about achievements so I am going to just console my way out of it every time.
I think that if other sons are already landed, they shouldn't get to inherit more unless you've given them just one county.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 26, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Luigi Thirty posted:

Are you running the beta patch? Any time you have a stone hill fort in a province you should get a decision to upgrade your stone hill forts to castles.

Yeah, I'm on the 2.2.0.2 UBOE beta. The game started with the regular charlemange patch and I only recently patched to beta though. I'll look through the decisions list though to see if there's something there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just a reminder that the shattered world mod exists. Turns the entire map into counts. Makes playing in the death zone of the abassids at least possible, without destroying Islam. Having a lot of fun with the east African jews this way. Might actually get Jerusalem.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Apoffys posted:

Can't you play in borderless (fullscreen) windowed mode?

It doesn't work well because the menu bar is still there at the top of the screen. It looks wonky. Also, I mean, I don't know anything about programming but literally every other program can tab out so I can't imagine it's difficult to make it happen.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Has Shattered World gotten better about the AI forming bigger countries? I remember last time I tried it they seemed really stagnant.

The best way to deal with the Abbasids/Byzantine blobs:

Started as the count of Palmyra, broke away from the Abbasids when I became duke of Damascus.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I have to say Arabia works a lot better when the Sultan of Africa is the Shia Caliph and he actually has to defend his western frontier for once.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

So there's a cheevo for being a Lombard in the 1300s, but I've not yet encountered the melting pot event that turns Lombards into Italians, when/how does this appear?

So like we've just discussed they only fire when you have Charlemagne. Do you? If not then you'll just stay Lombard.

I wish that everyone who isn't a Christian wasn't restricted to having their dynasty be the name of their realm and their CoA too. It's really boring for me basically being the same thing the entire game.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Sounds like that's a problem with West africans, and not retinues.
Ehhh, it exacerbates the problems with them, because you have to rely so heavily on them. If I wasn't burning down everything before holy warring and conquesting I'd barely have to time get any poo poo done and I've still only pulled most of them by the skin of my teeth.

Also, how do you plot feudal elective in? It doesn't seem to be an option and I'm tired of being the vassal of the poo poo king with his petty levies but marrying in with weak claims annoys me and my sense of eugenics when just my retinue outnumbers his entire hut collection with single castle.

It is a sad loving thing when if not for my intervention a single castle count would have declared independence from their king.

Odobenidae posted:

West Africa should honestly just not exist because its half-baked implementation just pisses people (and me) off.
I honestly don't get how this works. Do they just expect people to mod it better or is the effort of writing even token events for them too much? gently caress, even giving them a festival would be something, this poo poo is just pathetic.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It is a sad loving thing when if not for my intervention a single castle count would have declared independence from their king.
I honestly don't get how this works. Do they just expect people to mod it better or is the effort of writing even token events for them too much? gently caress, even giving them a festival would be something, this poo poo is just pathetic.

It was added in CK2+. It had more land (and a coast, which RoI has removed) than it does now, but they added it in the patch after the CK2+ addition. I guess they felt they should?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I can't press my independence faction demand because my liege keeps getting revolts and other minor wars that take forever to wrap up. :rolleyes:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dapper Dan posted:

They really do, except for me I don't see any benefit to it. It's not fun, it isn't challenging, it is like wading through unpalatable garbage to maybe get to desert. It feels more and more like a chore and less and less fun. Honestly, at this point, I've waded through enough Paradox bullshit that I don't need any more of it.

If other people do because they've mastered the game so much they need these changes to pose any modicum of challenge, then make a difficulty setting for them or customization settings ala Anno. For now, I'll just edit any of this nonsensical poo poo out.

I would really dig a customization settings to return back to old Feudal Elective rules, for sure. Most of the other mechanics I can live with, but I really hate having to play these weird games to ensure a good heir when all my vassals love me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Trujillo posted:

Has Shattered World gotten better about the AI forming bigger countries? I remember last time I tried it they seemed really stagnant.

The best way to deal with the Abbasids/Byzantine blobs:

Started as the count of Palmyra, broke away from the Abbasids when I became duke of Damascus.

Didn't play it enough to get a feel for it when I first installed it, but 100 years in, there's 10 kingdoms that formed naturally. Armenia may be closing in on forming the Byzantine, while Sicily, Bavaria, and Lithuania are starting to piece together central and eastern Europe, and Rumenia is also about to enter the picture. France is pretty much dominated by 3 dukes. Pictland is miles ahead of anyone in Britain, and they've almost taken over the kingdom of Ireland which already exists, and England is still a fractured mess, so good luck. Denmark and Finland look a few counties away from forming kingdoms. The abassid empire is clearly building itself from scratch under the al amarah sultanate. It's definitely lively in some places, but others are dead. Northern and western Africa haven't changed at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I can't press my independence faction demand because my liege keeps getting revolts and other minor wars that take forever to wrap up. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to usurp Aquitane and at the moment it's at war with one of my vassals. My vassal has ENORMOUS armies that are just sort of...hopping around their provinces and not sieging anything, it's been going on for eight loving years now!

• Locked thread