Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

TheMostFrench posted:

Something to tide people over until this comes out?

Holy poo poo, MetalDestroyer actually released something? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Highlight of my day so far was realizing I could play this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSKeseN4uJk on my google cardboard thing.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Awesome, but is FS2 still a pain in the rear end to get running on modern machines?

If you have FS2 on GoG or steam use https://www.fsoinstaller.com

You've been missing out on a ton of good rear end mods if you haven't used Freespace Open before

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
So with the latest exposure, is there any kind of preliminary release date? I'm probably not alone in wanting to throw dollars at you.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I just want to play the game.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Fishstick posted:

So with the latest exposure, is there any kind of preliminary release date? I'm probably not alone in wanting to throw dollars at you.

Sorry it's been quiet. It's a been a huge campaign month for me after all the trade shows died down. So I have been hiding and just working on stuff.

Here's a shot of the campaign map right now (may all change -- lol):

As far as a date, I am working as fast as possible but nothing solid yet. It has been one of the most productive months though, FWIW, since a lot of the lower level systems (shooting, AI, etc) are good enough for now. Has allowed me to work on stuff like cross-system movement for fleets.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
Looking sweet! Can't wait to get my paws on this.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I bought a joystick, i've been using it with spaceplanes in KSP. Looking forward to using it with ESF.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Playing the recent TIE Fighter release isn't helping me stave off the anticipation. I keep returning to the thought of being able to jump from system to system causing horrible amounts of damage. The only thing that would be better is a half-competing/half-cooperative shadowy organization issuing my squad additional orders on the sly...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

doctorfrog posted:

Playing the recent TIE Fighter release isn't helping me stave off the anticipation. I keep returning to the thought of being able to jump from system to system causing horrible amounts of damage. The only thing that would be better is a half-competing/half-cooperative shadowy organization issuing my squad additional orders on the sly...

Wait, is there a recent TIE Fighter release?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elentor posted:

Wait, is there a recent TIE Fighter release?

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_xwing_special_edition
http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_tie_fighter_special_edition

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Note that they don't have the collector's edition ms-dos cdrom version of Tie Fighter, you get the Windows version without imuse dynamic music and the plain floppy dos version with no expansions or voice packs. It's still a great game, but not quite an ideal release.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I thought this version of TIE Fighter was the 94 floppy release which did have iMUSE.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Great Joe posted:

I thought this version of TIE Fighter was the 94 floppy release which did have iMUSE.

Yes, it's got the 94 floppy with Imuse, or the XvT engine release without.

It doesn't have the 640x480 collectors CD which has the best of everything.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Blog update about progress, the campaign, and other stuff.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Blog update about progress, the campaign, and other stuff.

Trying not to get my hopes about the 'early access' paragraph!

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I'll sell all my sperg citizen ships just to get on early access.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I'd shell out dough for early access. I really want an excuse to try out a Rift and my coworker has a DK2.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Is it out yet?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sweet blog update, all good news. I have a fresh new joystick and all i've been using it with is KSP so far, can't wait to find out how ESF is.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Is any testing/development happening with joysticks or is this all gamepad or keyboard and mouse focused? I bought a proper hotas recently and love it with Elite and would hate to go back.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

orphean posted:

Is any testing/development happening with joysticks or is this all gamepad or keyboard and mouse focused? I bought a proper hotas recently and love it with Elite and would hate to go back.
Some testers use joysticks.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

orphean posted:

mad.radhu posted:

Sweet blog update, all good news. I have a fresh new joystick and all i've been using it with is KSP so far, can't wait to find out how ESF is.

Until I get a binding menu in there, people can use XMLs to make their own configurations for methods that aren't KBAM/Gamepad. But I won't lie, in terms of priority, the control schemes go:

1) KBAM (everyone has one of these)
2) XBox360/XInput Gamepad (many people have these, and it works great for VR)
3) Everything else

Almost 100% of ES's development has been done on the first two methods. I know people bought a bunch of crazy sticks to play Elite/SC, so you'll be able to use them. If they will be "officially" supported or not, I'm not sure.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
That's totally fine. As long as it can see the different axis the configuration can happen in the joystick utility thing most come with.

Also wanted to say hotas setups work fine with a rift too! :v:

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

I think HOTAS setups will fall apart in the tactical mode, but I would love to be wrong. Imagine playing Homeworld (lite) with a flight stick and you can hopefully see where I'm coming from. It shouldn't be a problem in non-VR because you can just switch over to the mouse. A lot of time has been spent making custom controls for the gamepad (flick selection, helper diamonds showing what the face buttons do, etc), stuff that won't help on any number of other more expensive input devices.

There's a bigger issue with VR at the moment -- there's no standard controller. There's a bunch of extremely cool input methods out there, but I believe it's not a good call to spend a lot of time on any of them other than the 360 controller. I'm positive that will change over time, though. But until then, I declare the standard VR controller to be an XInput gamepad (not that anyone cares). :)

Edit: I know some flight sticks have mouse nubs but do any have trackballs? That could probably work well.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 19, 2014

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
At the very least, from Unity's perspective, a 360 controller is just another joystick.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I am prepared for every contingency.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Wouldn't a mouse work in tactical mode with VR and HOTAS? I doesn't need as much space as a keyboard so it can be close by and easy to reach.

Maybe some kind of glove and a disembodied VR hand would be much better :v:

Edit: gently caress yeah https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/controlvr/control-vr-motion-capture-for-vr-animation-and-mor

uXs fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 20, 2014

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

uXs posted:

Wouldn't a mouse work in tactical mode with VR and HOTAS? I doesn't need as much space as a keyboard so it can be close by and easy to reach.

Maybe some kind of glove and a disembodied VR hand would be much better :v:

Edit: gently caress yeah https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/controlvr/control-vr-motion-capture-for-vr-animation-and-mor

The mouse is really bad in tactical mode (VR) for a variety of reasons. It's fine in some of the other VR demos but (most of the time) you're interacting with the mouse cursor as it sits on a tangible physical plane (chalkboard, desktop, etc).

1) Software cursor, so it's noticeably laggy (especially in Unity for some reason)
2) The distance it's supposed to sit in focal space is... not readily figured out. Project it to infinity, and now the objects you want to pick sit on a different plane than the cursor, making you go cross-eyed to focus on the cursor vs the object. Projecting it closer requires rules that I haven't been able to figure out, but the depth problem still remains since all objects in the scene are not sitting at the same depth.

I'm debating supporting it at all in VR because it's an awful time sink, and the results will likely be bad no matter what.

That sure is a neat glove!

Edit: I love the Surgeon Simulator screenshot right below this text:

quote:

Control VR has set out to change the world and provide the tools you need to control your world like you’ve always imagined and for developers to start making applications that will improve our lives for the better

Kairo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 20, 2014

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

I've messed with a few devices people are trying to use to get hands into VR, and man I don't think a full body suit of gizmos is it - I think we're much more likely to see something like a Leap Motion strapped to the front of a Rift, maybe with a ring or something on each hand. I don't think another piece of hardware full of moving parts is the answer.

Mouse pointer in tactical mode sounds like a horribly tough nut to crack. Does the size or shape of the cursor change that effect at all? instead of a pointer make it a semi-opaque selection circle or something?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Kairo posted:

The mouse is really bad in tactical mode (VR) for a variety of reasons. It's fine in some of the other VR demos but (most of the time) you're interacting with the mouse cursor as it sits on a tangible physical plane (chalkboard, desktop, etc).

1) Software cursor, so it's noticeably laggy (especially in Unity for some reason)
2) The distance it's supposed to sit in focal space is... not readily figured out. Project it to infinity, and now the objects you want to pick sit on a different plane than the cursor, making you go cross-eyed to focus on the cursor vs the object. Projecting it closer requires rules that I haven't been able to figure out, but the depth problem still remains since all objects in the scene are not sitting at the same depth.

I'm debating supporting it at all in VR because it's an awful time sink, and the results will likely be bad no matter what.

That sure is a neat glove!

Edit: I love the Surgeon Simulator screenshot right below this text:

Well I was just guessing, I have no idea really how this poo poo actually works or doesn't work. But it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing, trying out stuff and dropping it if it can't work well, so that's great!

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

uXs posted:

Well I was just guessing, I have no idea really how this poo poo actually works or doesn't work.

It's all good! It's always good to re-think stuff like that so thanks for bringing it up.

quote:

I think we're much more likely to see something like a Leap Motion strapped to the front of a Rift, maybe with a ring or something on each hand.

Yeah the Leap Motion is really interesting because it integrates so seamlessly with the HMD itself. STEM system is great for prop-based input too, but requires extra space and a recharging pod.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Is it possible that the tactical view could be flattened for mouse support? I mean, it's already in 2D if you're not using a head rig; maybe when you go to the tactical map, it projects as a flat surface in front of the cockpit view or whatever? (Disclaimer: I haven't watched many of the Enemy Starfighter videos, so I don't know how the tactical view actually works.)

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
The STEM system is really nice, but the buy-in for doable VR has to be less on the hardware cost front - $300 for a Rift is an allowable cost, but it assumes you have the PC to run it. An extra $75 for a Leap is acceptable, but I think few people want to go spend hundreds of dollars on a specialized controller. I can't imagine the headache that game devs must get right now with all the people asking if the games they're making will be compatible with $obscure_kickstarted_controller.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

mad.radhu posted:

The STEM system is really nice, but the buy-in for doable VR has to be less on the hardware cost front - $300 for a Rift is an allowable cost, but it assumes you have the PC to run it. An extra $75 for a Leap is acceptable, but I think few people want to go spend hundreds of dollars on a specialized controller. I can't imagine the headache that game devs must get right now with all the people asking if the games they're making will be compatible with $obscure_kickstarted_controller.

It's a good thing that the Rift company spent so much time sharing their tech with Valve and others working in the VR market because I can easily see a non-standardized system/code causing huge problems due to having to code for multiple VR devices.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Gif from twitter

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
why must you torment me

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

webm URL: http://gfycat.com/FrailEthicalKingfisher

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Again, that curved space road is such a perfect design for communicating motion in space. Is that an original feature? Most of the games I played used random space particles to convey the same idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

7c Nickel posted:

Again, that curved space road is such a perfect design for communicating motion in space. Is that an original feature? Most of the games I played used random space particles to convey the same idea.

It seems like it only tells you speed, not direction so it's not really doing the same thing space dust does.

• Locked thread