Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Sat down for a few minutes to read about CurrentC and learn how it works since it'll be a competing product to ApplePay.

Uh wow, what a backwards way of handling electronic payments. QR codes? Really? :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ah man, got an e-mail from Wells Fargo that debit cards won't include paywave chips going forward, so maybe Apple Pay would be useful to me after all (since they make me get a new debit card every year).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
So apparently while Apple Pay worked just fine at CVS and Rite Aid in those stores that had NFC terminals, they've decided to disable it corporate wide. Because their Merchant Consumer Exchange solution is better than Apple Pay/NFC because it uses QR codes. And lets them track you and your information even without requiring shopper cards. Or at least it will be better when it's released sometime in 2015.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tuyop posted:

I don't think we have to drop it, this is interesting. The unadulterated review site videos definitely mean that something else is at work. I assume they're posted to YouTube, but if they're inline and hosted on the site's servers, maybe that helps explain it?

Guy who posted that swing set video, would you mind posting it to other sites like Vimeo, Flickr, and Veoh? It'd be good to get the straight file through Dropbox or something too.

I'd do it but I'm too busy right now. :shobon:

I've been out all day and now the power is out but I'll post a sample video of what I'm talking about, myself, tomorrow. To Dailymotion and/or Vimeo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fordan posted:

So apparently while Apple Pay worked just fine at CVS and Rite Aid in those stores that had NFC terminals, they've decided to disable it corporate wide. Because their Merchant Consumer Exchange solution is better than Apple Pay/NFC because it uses QR codes. And lets them track you and your information even without requiring shopper cards. Or at least it will be better when it's released sometime in 2015.

From what I understand, it also dips directly into your bank account to bypass credit card fees. I'm sure it will be totally secure, because their track record is so great with that kind of information.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd love to not get credit card rewards anymore.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So, like, how long do you think it'll be before big retailers realize how idiotic CurrentC is and switch back to NFC?

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

noirstronaut posted:

So, like, how long do you think it'll be before big retailers realize how idiotic CurrentC is and switch back to NFC?

All it takes is one major card issuer like Visa changing their merchant agreement to force Visa acceptance in any/every form (NFC/EMV/MagStripe) and CurrentC will be dust.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

tuyop posted:

I don't think we have to drop it, this is interesting. The unadulterated review site videos definitely mean that something else is at work. I assume they're posted to YouTube, but if they're inline and hosted on the site's servers, maybe that helps explain it?

Guy who posted that swing set video, would you mind posting it to other sites like Vimeo, Flickr, and Veoh? It'd be good to get the straight file through Dropbox or something too.

I'd do it but I'm too busy right now. :shobon:

Here's the original file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eymxc3d0b1uhpmp/Video%20Oct%2025%2C%209%2051%2057%20AM.mov?dl=0

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009
In usability CurrentC does seem to be lacking, but anything that breaks up the visa/mastercard duopoly on payment processing is bound to be good for consumers in the long run.

CurrentC is also inherently more secure than a creditcard payment as (unlike with creditcards) not enough information is given to the merchant to make a repeat payment.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flosofl posted:

From what I understand, it also dips directly into your bank account to bypass credit card fees. I'm sure it will be totally secure, because their track record is so great with that kind of information.
Don't forget that it passes more fraud liability onto the customer! And asks for health information! :psyduck: (I'm sure it'll be used for extreme analytics/targeting but still weird)

quote:

After his investigation of the app, Aude told me “CurrentC borders on the creepy line” due to it pulling health info. He also that found that its Terms Of Service leaves high liability for fraud to the user if someone else is able to get access to a user’s phone and make CurrentC payments.
From here: http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/25/currentc/

noirstronaut posted:

quote:

In January 2013, Fierce Retail reported MCX had been asking retailers in 2012 to pay a big upfront fee from $250,000 to $500,000 to get on board, and sign three-year mobile payment app exclusivity deals with MCX. Retailers who signed up may have had a one-year grace period from the start of their exclusivity contract to bail out of the deal. If Apple Pay gains steam early, some retailers might look to take advantage of this option to ditch MCX. However, if deals were signed in 2012, that grace period is long gone but retailers may be coming up on the end of their exclusivity agreements even though CurrentC hasn’t launched yet,
...so late next year at the worst?

Confusion posted:

In usability CurrentC does seem to be lacking, but anything that breaks up the visa/mastercard duopoly on payment processing is bound to be good for consumers in the long run.

CurrentC is also inherently more secure than a creditcard payment as (unlike with creditcards) not enough information is given to the merchant to make a repeat payment.
But the newer cards/readers are more secure too afaik. The big advantage is businesses not paying card fees (or needing newer terminals, although that's unrealistic I think), and they get more info from the customer. It's not like they're going to use the cost savings and pass them onto the consumer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Wow, that's really full of artifacts. Here's one from a university basement with the lights half off, so it's not very sharp.

http://youtu.be/G5iJt7-xdc0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/47aanbj4o5wntqc/IMG_5893.MOV?dl=0

Also, it's on a 5S so the frame rate is slower and doesn't really make this a good comparison.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Visa Paywave is just everywhere here in Australia, it's great. I'm sure apple pay will be nice and everything but I can't imagine anything more convenient than just slapping my wallet and walking out.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

chaosbreather posted:

Visa Paywave is just everywhere here in Australia, it's great. I'm sure apple pay will be nice and everything but I can't imagine anything more convenient than just slapping my wallet and walking out.
The thief who steals your wallet agrees.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So there's either a bug in both Paper *and* Facebook or more likely just 8.1. Both my wife and I cannot see any photos we have taken since last week (that do exist in our camera roll) when we try to upload photos to FB via FB app or Paper.

Update: they aren't missing when you try to upload to FB. Just that the camera roll when uploading via FB has all the photos I'm taking now placed midway down my camera roll. Like, mixed in with photos from months ago.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 26, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Works over here...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Works over here...

Not trying to be snarky but I'm not sure what that image is evidence of? (Anyway, found the culprit, mentioned in my edit.)

Edit: oh I see it was taken in FB/Paper.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
My "Camera Roll" in FB is organized with Videos first, but then everything else appears in chronological order. :iiam:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

My "Camera Roll" in FB is organized with Videos first, but then everything else appears in chronological order. :iiam:

Ohhhhhhh! Yeah! That's a new arrangement for them I guess. Didn't realize those were all vids. That's still loving stupid design.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
How does safari's Reader work? I thought it was supposed to download the pages for offline viewing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

How does safari's Reader work? I thought it was supposed to download the pages for offline viewing.
No, that's Reading List. Reader just formats the page in a more readable layout.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No, that's Reading List. Reader just formats the page in a more readable layout.

Oh, you're right, I was thinking of that. None of the stuff I add to it can be read offline on any device. Always tries to load the page and if I have no connection nothing will happen.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Oh, you're right, I was thinking of that. None of the stuff I add to it can be read offline on any device. Always tries to load the page and if I have no connection nothing will happen.
Weird. It seems to be working for me. I just put my iPad in Airplane Mode and tried loading a few pages from my Reading List that otherwise shouldn't have been cached (I had never opened them on this device since I just got it). They loaded as if I had a connection, which I can only assume means they were correctly saved for offline reading without me doing anything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It'd be cool if they got reading list to work properly but I've already jumped ship to Pocket. Now, since the sharing menu makes it just as easy to add to Pocket as reading list, there's really no reason to switch back, right?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Weird. It seems to be working for me. I just put my iPad in Airplane Mode and tried loading a few pages from my Reading List that otherwise shouldn't have been cached (I had never opened them on this device since I just got it). They loaded as if I had a connection, which I can only assume means they were correctly saved for offline reading without me doing anything.

Who knows.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The quick reply box is utterly horrendous. Any way to disable it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

How about just not using it? I've never even seen it before because I keep forgetting that it's an option.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ICHIBAHN posted:

Don't swipe down? Or are you referring to something else.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 26, 2014

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

b0nes posted:

Sorry I am not familiar with iOS will restoring it downgrade it to iOS 7? He uses iTunes at work since he doesn't have a computer at home. He didn't want to wait till Monday.

Unless I missed it, no one actually answered the question. No, restoring a backup will not downgrade it to 7. Outside of some jailbreak shenanigans which require previous actions, there is no way to downgrade.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I dropped my careless 6 last night and the only scratch on it is a cracked camera lens cover. Somehow doesn't show up when taking pictures though so it's not a huge issue, but is that something that can be fixed at an Apple Store next time I'm in a city with one?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

nickutz posted:

I dropped my careless 6 last night and the only scratch on it is a cracked camera lens cover. Somehow doesn't show up when taking pictures though so it's not a huge issue, but is that something that can be fixed at an Apple Store next time I'm in a city with one?

They can definitely replace the camera. The only question is if they'll say it's accidental damage or not.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

japtor posted:

But the newer cards/readers are more secure too afaik. The big advantage is businesses not paying card fees (or needing newer terminals, although that's unrealistic I think), and they get more info from the customer. It's not like they're going to use the cost savings and pass them onto the consumer.

Unrealistic in that if they don't deploy terminals that support chipped cards, they take on fraud liability as of October 2015. So some large number of their stores will need new terminals anyway.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I know wifi issues seem to be persisting in my iPhone 5s since I updated to iOS 8 & 8.1 but I'm wondering if others have had issues only in certain apps or phone wide?

I thought for a time it was isolated for my phone on the Awful app, but it pretty much is plagued where it matters on my phone (safari, mail.app, tunein radio). I hope Apple will focus on it for the next point release, was hoping this would have disappeared as an issue with iOS 8.1.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nonsense posted:

I know wifi issues seem to be persisting in my iPhone 5s since I updated to iOS 8 & 8.1 but I'm wondering if others have had issues only in certain apps or phone wide?
It's phone wide for me as well (also on a 5s). In fact my wifi dropped last night while I was watching YouTube videos on my phone and I only realized it when I got a message from T-Mobile saying that I had gone over my data limit. :sigh:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Certainly there's gotta be some sort of solution on the wifi end for these issues, right?

I mean I hear it brought up a lot so I'm certainly not dismissing it, but the fact that I and a bunch of other people have NEVER experienced it must mean that there's something with the wifi that's causing it to fail. With all the people experiencing it I'm surprised people haven't been able to troubleshoot it yet. Certain type of router? Certain wireless channel? There's gotta be some way to "fix it" on the user end.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'd agree with you on that. For those of you with wifi troubles, have you tried the basics for troubleshooting?

-Update router firmware
-Blow up router back to defaults
-Leave the network open just for troubleshooting purposes

I can't think of any offhand, but I've seen devices that just straight up have issues with certain routers. You could try buying a new router for troubleshooting purposes as well and return the router if that doesn't do the trick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have major wifi issues in the Twitter app and now in the ESPN fantasy football app. Safari seems unaffected for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I used ApplePay at Whole Foods today it Just Worked. It was also possibly the whitest thing I could do.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I used ApplePay at Whole Foods today it Just Worked. It was also possibly the whitest thing I could do.

That depends. What were you wearing? Did you have your white Apple earphones in your ears while shopping? If yes, what were you listening to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I tried it at Panera and nothing happened. My phone said it worked but the POS never responded so I had to slide my card.