Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: interestingly, I read a while ago that that movie got flak when it came out for the Harkonnens supposedly being symbols of the hedonistic gay lifestyle where they murder young boy-slaves and bathe in their blood.

It's Harvey Milk all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
They were just beating the Goa'uld to the punch.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lynch's Dune owns. Also it doesn't matter what he thinks about the movie, it's irrelevant.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: interestingly, I read a while ago that that movie got flak when it came out for the Harkonnens supposedly being symbols of the hedonistic gay lifestyle where they murder young boy-slaves and bathe in their blood.
That's really more an issue with the source material than Lynch's fault. At least we didn't get up to the point where gay ghost uncle cuckolds a zombie.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

Just finished Dead Space. I was a little iffy on at first, but it definitely grabbed me after the first few chapters. I thought it wasn't a slow enough burn--the poo poo hit the fan too fast and it revealed its boogeyman too soon. It ends up using its quick reveals to its advantage--you never feel safe after you see the necromorphs swarm in from vents and shutters a couple times.

Anyway, I'll probably play the second one next, which I hear is even better. I actually have a free PS+ copy of Dead Space 3 on PS3, but I heard it isn't very good?

Dead space 2 is mostly more of the same, I didn't think it was better at all. If you are going to pick it up now, you'll probably get it with the game-breaking pre-order content, including (if I'm remembering right) a suit that is better than anything you find for the first 80% of the game. So I'd get rid of all that if you enjoy having a character that gradually grows stronger over the course of a game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also I love the documentary about Jodorovsky's Dune, it's a great story about something that didn't come to be but nothing more. It could have sucked just as well, many movie projects with fantastic cast turned out terrible, you can't judge them before seeing the result, the imagination is just running wild with the idea. It's great that the gathered art team didn't go to waste and went on to produce materials for Alien though.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Quest For Glory II posted:

~words, including some about Battleblock Theater~

I initially had the same opinion as you and stopped playing somewhere in the second world, but just today I picked it up again while looking for local multiplayer games in my library and it was actually really rad. I think the levels are actually different for singleplayer/coop because coop introduces tossing and lifting mechanics and it's hilarious. It's like the bits from New Super Mario where you throw your friends to their deaths except there are crazy bouncy pads all over the place. And the fact that you can't actually die makes it perfect for either people who aren't very good at platformers or people who get mad when you "waste all their lives."

Try it again with a buddy maybe!

Also, what local multiplayer (coop or vs) games are hilarious or rad besides fighters? I'm looking at Octodad, Gang Beasts, and Nidhogg right now. Anyone have an opinion on Screen Cheat?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

7. Hard Reset Extended Edition - Unlike FC3: BD, which I think ultimately came down to personal taste, I actually think Hard Reset is a badly designed game. The levels are confusingly laid out and sections are xeroxed on the level of Halo 1's campaign at times, leading to a deja vu effect where you aren't sure if you're running around in circles or not. The guns feel alright, secrets are kind of a neat old-school FPS thing. But the enemies are not particularly fun to fight. The bosses in the game are just flat out awful. The upgrade shop is not really that great. The developers added an additional campaign onto the game and I do intend to play that to see whether they've improved from a design standpoint, because the shooting is at least good. And it looks pretty nice and runs pretty well. My issues with the game are purely design.

It saddens me that I really have to agree with you on this one. I adore the look and feel of Hard Reset, but the levels are just there to usher you around arenas full of incredibly tedious enemies. You eventually get to the point where you see a shootout coming like every time, and it's always against the same 3-4 robots. The upgrade shop is also kind of bullshit because you can unlock both new fire modes for your guns and powerups for yourself, but the game really expects you to have certain ones at certain points. And I would call the bosses in the game worse than awful, because they each have like five phases, summon random other enemies to swarm you, and have to be defeated on a limited number of health pickups since there's no regen.

I wanted to like it so much because it shoots real good and looks like Blade Runner and everything explodes, but it's just not worth it. If anyone out there has it and insists on playing it, at least put it on Easy. I made the mistake of playing on Hard and even the tiniest murderbots were impossible bullet sponges.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know which of you mention CoJ but I just played through the True West Difficulty in one sitting tonight so thanks for that

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Palpek posted:

Lynch's Dune owns. Also it doesn't matter what he thinks about the movie, it's irrelevant.

Sup Paul Atreides.

Anyway, Lynch's Dune was fine. I'm sure folks haven't seen any of Jodorowsky's movies.

Here's a review of Holy Mountain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F5EbmDSYzI

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

kanonvandekempen posted:

Dead space 2 is mostly more of the same, I didn't think it was better at all. If you are going to pick it up now, you'll probably get it with the game-breaking pre-order content, including (if I'm remembering right) a suit that is better than anything you find for the first 80% of the game. So I'd get rid of all that if you enjoy having a character that gradually grows stronger over the course of a game.

I think it's been sitting in my queue for like 2 years now, so I'm not sure about the DLC.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, I've seen all of Jodorowsky's movies, the guy owns. His comic books with Moebius also own, his later/current ones not so much though.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

kanonvandekempen posted:

DS2 is marginally better mechanically, but serves as a perfect example of why giving, say, Gordon Freeman a voice and prominent character role would be a loving terrible idea. It's sort of like the RE5 of the trilogy, where it's starting to lean out of survival horror and into braindead action flick, but doesn't quite make the full transition until DS3 (RE6).

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

The AI is cheap, and the Disguise system is flat out broken. On Easy difficulty (where the Instinct system, aka "Get Out Of Being Recognized Free Card", recharges), I had to use-- and hold down-- the Instinct button CONSTANTLY just to get anywhere. It feels kind of like you're being punished for trying to be stealthy, which makes no sense. If the disguise system wasn't broken, this would be a much more playable game, with the caveat of a story that seems cruel towards women and is full of dumb "AAA game" bullshit.
The disguise system isn't broken it's just the game does a terrible job of explaining it to you. When someone starts to notice you you're supposed to tap instinct, turn your back on them and nip around a corner (or sadly go into cover behind a table). If they can't see your face they pretty quickly lose interest in you. You also need to pick the disguise of the type of NPC you want to avoid. In a place filled with guards you want to be a maintenance man. In a place full of maintenance men you want to be a guard. It's amazing to me how many people seemed to have problems with it which does point to bad design in the game I suppose. I did manage to beat every level in that game in the hardest difficulty without being spotted.

Can't argue at all about the story though. They tried for american grindhouse but it just comes off as bad in a bad way not in a funny way.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Now I am trying out games and tonight I played the beginning of Enslaved and The Last Remnant.

Enslaved is interesting because it's by Ninja Theory who has an extremely spotty resume (DmC is one of the most polarizing games on Steam), but this game actually feels very sturdy. It has a solid if generic combat system, and some solid if generic Prince of Persia-ing, but it's well put together, the environment design looks great and colorful, and the game design has a couple of clever turns. Even though the main character is technically made a slave of the other protagonist (via, essentially, a slave collar), you end up being the one issuing commands to them, which I think is a cool inversion. Also the characters seem to grow pretty quickly?? They learn from mistakes instead of being stubborn cartoon characters the entire time.

The Last Remnant's battle system does seem overwhelming in the opening battle, but they help you out by isolating two characters away from the massive battleground and guiding you into some very simple 2-on-2 battles to get an idea of how the battle system works. It does seem like a lot of it will still come down to luck more than strategy, but we'll see how it goes. Also the teenage main character is like Bill & Ted-era Keanu Reeves for some reason and it's cracking me up. Every other character is like "m'lord how shalt we deal with this ruffian" and he's like "whoa dudes chill out yo" and making weird faces. I just want him to start doing air guitar and grinding down a rail.

Also having played both Dead Spaces in the past month+, Dead Space 2 is significantly better than the original, varying up the locales and making them stand out, reducing the tedium of backtracking, fixing the terrible anti-grav segments, and having super powerful weapons that obliterate everything.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Only seven games left, and I've saved a few gems for the end.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

Challenge Games
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
14. Scarygirl
15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
16. Closure
17. Alien Breed 2: Assault
18. F.E.A.R. Online
19. Ghostship Aftermath
20. Hell Yeah!
21. Eldritch
22. The Path
23. Shadowgrounds: Survivor
24. Ghost Master

Bonus Games
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds
D. Haunted Memories
E. Serena
F. The Forgotten Ones

-----------------

25. Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut

Silent Hill has surely cast one of the longest shadows over the horror genre. Few major studios have attempted to capture its success with psychological horror (and not even Konami themselves can regain what they had), but indie developers are always ready to attempt their own thought-provoking thriller. Lone Survivor sticks about as close as you can to the Silent Hill legacy without calling down a lawsuit on itself, but the retro presentation and more immersive mechanics help make it a worthy game on its own.

You are cast as the last survivor of a mystery plague holed up in a decaying apartment complex. Uninterested in dying alone, you set out from your safe space to find someone, anyone, to share your company. Unfortunately, the whole place is overrun with gangly, fleshy abominations that would just love to eat your masked face. Owing to the retro 2D style this plays out more as an adventure game than even the restrained action of Silent Hill. Combat is something to be avoided if at all possible, taking alternate routes or skulking around with your flashlight off, or creating distractions with rotting meat. However, you can't get through the game without some fighting. Your weapon of choice is a handgun which you can fire straight, upwards, or downwards, and the enemies take some interesting locational damage. It's a good combat system supported by an intelligent balance of combat and sneaking.

Having your face eaten isn't your only concern, however. Your character gets hungry and tired as well, and you have to scavenge for supplies to keep yourself going. You'll find bags of chips and tins of beans along with more suspect foods, and as the game progresses you can combine foods for different effects and even do some rather involved cooking. Sleeping is necessary (and is also how you save your game), but coffee and pills can keep you running and have some additional interesting effects on gameplay. It's an interesting consideration to add because items are finite but you grow hungry and tired over real time, so you have to constantly be moving the story forward. After some early uncertainty I've come to really appreciate this mechanic, because it pushes you to forge ahead into the darker, more threatening areas in search of food. It adds a genuine sense of urgency that helps justify the terrible risks your character takes.

All of this is held together by a fantastically dark atmosphere, but one not without its holes. Most areas are VERY dark without your flashlight, but light attracts the creatures. The whole complex is rotting away, and there are far more sinister things taking the place apart as well. The sound direction is excellent, with uncomfortable cues for the monsters and some excellent atmospheric pieces while exploring. The writing is good, though I feel the atmosphere does take a bit of a hit when your character is speaking with certain... things. I think I know where the story is going with these elements I won't expand upon, but for now they feel a bit out of place. Additionally the low-res look doesn't always work in its favor, sometimes making things look a little too cartoonish or obscuring something that would otherwise appear horrifying.

These are just small nitpicks, though. Lone Survivor takes its inspiration from Silent Hill and runs with it, creating its own atmospheric experience that terrifies and intrigues. I knew I had played something solid when I finished an hour session around midnight, my wife asked me to check on the laundry in the basement, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Yeah, I think I'll check it in the morning, thanks.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Acquire Currency! posted:

If you're going to get Lone Survivor go for it but for the love of God beat that thing in a single sitting or within a few days. Put it down for a week and you'll come back confused and screwed.

Oh hey look I posted some relevant info about LS. It's not a bad game otherwise. But the second you forget the how/why of what you need to do youre boned. Not in a 'things are gonna be tougher' way like in a 'did you enjoy the game enough to restart it all over' way.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I picked up Tomb Raider during the summer sale and just got around to playing it. It was my first Tomb Raider game and I had a lot more fun than I thought I would. When does the next one come out?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Oh hey look I posted some relevant info about LS. It's not a bad game otherwise. But the second you forget the how/why of what you need to do youre boned. Not in a 'things are gonna be tougher' way like in a 'did you enjoy the game enough to restart it all over' way.

I was totally going to quote that when I got around to writing up LS but I forgot (heh). The way the different rooms and tunnels and such connect can make it INCREDIBLY difficult to remember where you were or where you were going. There's a diary in your room you can read that reminds you of your objective, but not in any kind of specifics. There's also a fair bit of mysterious side stuff that's all going on at once.

It all works as long as you keep at it, but yeah once you start forgetting what you were doing you can end up super lost.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

JFC posted:

I picked up Tomb Raider during the summer sale and just got around to playing it. It was my first Tomb Raider game and I had a lot more fun than I thought I would. When does the next one come out?

Holiday 2015 on Xbone; couple months later on everything else

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Zombie Samurai posted:

I was totally going to quote that when I got around to writing up LS but I forgot (heh). The way the different rooms and tunnels and such connect can make it INCREDIBLY difficult to remember where you were or where you were going. There's a diary in your room you can read that reminds you of your objective, but not in any kind of specifics. There's also a fair bit of mysterious side stuff that's all going on at once.

It all works as long as you keep at it, but yeah once you start forgetting what you were doing you can end up super lost.
Also if you're interested in pretty much an exact same clone of Lone Survivor there is always Claire. It's got a very Silent Hill in a 2D retro environment vibe, but the 'combat' is likened more to Clock Tower in that you don't really have a way to combat the enemies. It's got it's good points and it's bad point, but it's clearly a very budget title.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

Just finished Dead Space. I was a little iffy on at first, but it definitely grabbed me after the first few chapters. I thought it wasn't a slow enough burn--the poo poo hit the fan too fast and it revealed its boogeyman too soon. It ends up using its quick reveals to its advantage--you never feel safe after you see the necromorphs swarm in from vents and shutters a couple times.

Anyway, I'll probably play the second one next, which I hear is even better. I actually have a free PS+ copy of Dead Space 3 on PS3, but I heard it isn't very good?

Dead Space 2 is fantastic, and builds on DS1 in really great ways. One of my fave horror games (if a bit too actiony at some points).

Dead Space 3 is great until you planetfall, and then gets a bit silly, but it's worth playing for the weapon customisation alone. The DLC is also worth it, just for the "OMG really, they're going with that?" for the ending.

Superb series, and I really hope we see a Dead Space 4. Or maybe a reboot. Whatever.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

9. LOVE+ - Again, an okay game but nothing special. It's a $3 game, with minimalist retro graphics (think Spectrum retro) where you go from point A to point B. That's about it. There are not many stages, and you have to beat the game in one run. I played this only because I got it in a bundle and it was short, but I would not have paid $3 for it, if I'm being honest. There are TIGSource Forum prototypes with more content than this game.

Yeah I got it from that one Trading Cards bundle and decided to give it a shot, and it seriously just wasn't worth it. Decent bundle fodder, but I would have been annoyed if I had paid actual money for it. I seriously ended up going "that's it???" when I hit the end of the game, especially considering that the game doesn't have an ending, or even splash screen saying you won. You just get kicked back to the title screen. I guess the intent was to design a game that could easily be speedrun, but I think it would have been more worthwhile to develop an actual interesting game as opposed to one that's merely blandly competent. Then again, in the wake of Shovel Knight everybody's going to have to seriously step up their platformer game for me to care.

Ikari Worrier fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 26, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Last Remnant's battle system does seem overwhelming in the opening battle, but they help you out by isolating two characters away from the massive battleground and guiding you into some very simple 2-on-2 battles to get an idea of how the battle system works. It does seem like a lot of it will still come down to luck more than strategy, but we'll see how it goes.

It does not come down to luck; there's a lot of strategy behind it. The game doesn't show you how to play. I hope you've done the reading that's pretty much necessary to be able to enjoy the game to its fullest. Honestly, it's a ton of fun. The story is averajrpg, though - it's at least kinda interesting, however.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/refity4/recommended/23310

quote:

http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Combat_Basics
Read that, and
http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Union_Creation_Strategies
then that at least, before you start. The game can be pretty freaking strategic, up to unit/team union placement on the battle map and you will lose often if you treat it like a standard final fantasy game. It's not Tactics Ogre, but positioning is an important thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgyvxKiu3U
This Youtube Video detailing some basic combat and squad stuff is also a really huge help. The sound is hosed up, so just turn it off and read the subtitles.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Is there any way to reset save data in Dustforce? I couldn't find an ingame option to do that. I couldn't find any relevant files anywhere on my hard drive either. I want to start over from scratch now that DX is out. Also I seem to have acquired a large negative number of bronze keys somehow.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

SpruceZeus posted:

Is there any way to reset save data in Dustforce? I couldn't find an ingame option to do that. I couldn't find any relevant files anywhere on my hard drive either. I want to start over from scratch now that DX is out. Also I seem to have acquired a large negative number of bronze keys somehow.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2623107

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

SpruceZeus posted:

I don't own the game but google spit this out as a first hit: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2623107
If that still works it might be better then what just deleting save data would do.

:argh:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The more i play Killer Is Dead, the more i wonder why it got such a bad rep. This game owns serious bones.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Freak Futanari posted:

The more i play Killer Is Dead, the more i wonder why it got such a bad rep. This game owns serious bones.

Some would say it's because the haters don't "get it" much like with Killer7, but actually it's just a really divisive game by nature. Like Killer7!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I don't know which of you mention CoJ but I just played through the True West Difficulty in one sitting tonight so thanks for that

So far there is only one Coj that isn't incredible and that is a pretty good record.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Do not believe the liars who say Payday 2 is a good game, I just went to a bank and waited for 5 minutes for a drill to do a thing, then 3 minutes for another drill to do a thing, then I had to pick like 200 locks each of which took 30 seconds to do all the while shooting at infinitely spawning enemies with boring weapons.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

SpruceZeus posted:

The negative keys are because they added an entire new tier of levels to the early game, eg: previously unlocked doors are now opened with keys from the new levels. If you have an in progress game, you've probably cleared a bunch of levels that are now locked with those keys. Grabbing keys from the new levels should sort it out. Alternatively, starting fresh would be a nice way to experience the revamped progression.

Also, I posted about if before but Dustforce is fantastic.
The dev team blog as a good summary of the update and the decisions behind it:
http://hitboxteam.com/dustforce-dx-update-released

The dev's are really awesome for continuing to support the game with major updates and community support now over two years since the release of the game.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I only have enough card money for one of them right now, so which lovely port is best: Saints Row 2 or Deadly Premonition?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zeeman posted:

I only have enough card money for one of them right now, so which lovely port is best: Saints Row 2 or Deadly Premonition?

Saints Row 2 has a minigame dedicated to spraying poo over buildings to drive down their property value.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

how me a frog posted:

Do not believe the liars who say Payday 2 is a good game, I just went to a bank and waited for 5 minutes for a drill to do a thing, then 3 minutes for another drill to do a thing, then I had to pick like 200 locks each of which took 30 seconds to do all the while shooting at infinitely spawning enemies with boring weapons.

Are you playing by yourself (or with pubbies)?

Ahahahahahaha.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zeeman posted:

SR2 has a fan-made patch that makes it run fairly well on PC. It's also a really good game, recommended.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zeeman posted:

It sounds like the DP port is a broken mess with no guaranteed fixes for its many issues, all on top of a game with questionably-appealing gameplay (at least the combat sections, anyway). SR2 has a ton of fixes that make it largely stable, and its overall gameplay is solid.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Broken Cog posted:

SR2 has a fan-made patch that makes it run fairly well on PC. It's also a really good game, recommended.

A fan patch so well that Idolninja (the author) now works at Volition.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Zeeman posted:

If you have to ask then you don't want to buy Deadly Premonition anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Charles Martel posted:

Just a friendly reminder that the 3D Realms Anthology 50% off sale expires in 18 hours and 12 minutes as of this post (so until 12PM EST tomorrow). It's not a native Steam collection, but I think it's the best we're ever going to get. $20 for 32 classic games:

Purchase link: https://3drealms.com/catalog/

Product Info: https://3drealms.com/catalog/3d-realms-anthology_50/

It's still on sale, I gave in and bought it. It's less that I want the games, and more paying them for my childhood.

• Locked thread