Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Ah, that sucks. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
After going back and forth between the pro controller and the gamepad for Bayonetta, I think I actually prefer the gamepad for some reason.

I'm just curious, but is there a way to turn off the display on either the TV or the gamepad?

edit: I also played some of new SMBU. It feels like I'm playing Super Marioworld again (though without my brother here to play with, it just isn't the same...). I hadn't played a SMB game since Galaxy 1 before, have there been other games of this format since then?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 26, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I also played some of new SMBU. It feels like I'm playing Super Marioworld again (though without my brother here to play with, it just isn't the same...). I hadn't played a SMB game since Galaxy 1 before, have there been other games of this format since then?

If you mean the 2D Mario format, NSMBU is the latest one. It got a DLC level pack called New Super Luigi U that contains a completely new set of shorter, harder levels, in case you still want more once the main game's over.

Super Mario 3D World is not a 2D game but it's paced like one, and the overworld/map structure is straight out of the 2D games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm just curious, but is there a way to turn off the display on either the TV or the gamepad?

Not in most games, no. Off the top of my head, I think Donkey Kong Country is the only off-tv game that lets you shut the pads screen off. Other games with no actual 2-screen features simply mirror everything all the time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Bayonetta 2 has the ninjacat. Is that a new standard feature in Platinum games, or did it exist pre-MGRR and I never found it?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Oh crap Nintendos selling Remote Plus + Nunchucks for 25 bucks. I almost wanna buy four sets eventhough I already have them just because theyre black and so the motion plus is built in. Im an idiot!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gutcruncher posted:

Oh crap Nintendos selling Remote Plus + Nunchucks for 25 bucks. I almost wanna buy four sets eventhough I already have them just because theyre black and so the motion plus is built in. Im an idiot!

They also come in blue and white!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Bayonetta 2 has the ninjacat. Is that a new standard feature in Platinum games, or did it exist pre-MGRR and I never found it?

I was so happy when I saw this little guy.

I also really like the fact that cats exist in Purgatorio as well as our world. All wandering round straight up not giving a poo poo about witches and angels.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Flint_Paper posted:

I was so happy when I saw this little guy.

I also really like the fact that cats exist in Purgatorio as well as our world. All wandering round straight up not giving a poo poo about witches and angels.
Yeah, that was awesome too. I always knew cats could perceive things we couldn't, and this game explains why.

I'm actually much more comfortable right now with my gamepad than the pro controller (also I need its headphone port), so I am thinking I will return it and get myself back 50 bucks to spend on another game or something.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

NWS http://www.playboy.com/galleries/pamela-horton-nintendo-bayonetta/slide-1

New Bayonetta ad

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Huh...

That's not something I expected to see...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Bayonetta cosplay just reminds me that her proportions are mind-bending when compared to either real people or the usual deformed anime people.

Also Luca is somehow taller than her, and has normal proportions. He is some kind of giant monster man.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

If you don't select "Continue" when you die in Bayonetta you get sent back to the beginning of the chapter with an auto save, not the main menu.

Ugh.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

the truth posted:

If you don't select "Continue" when you die in Bayonetta you get sent back to the beginning of the chapter with an auto save, not the main menu.

Ugh.

Well, that option is meant for players who are trying to get a higher ranking.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can turn the Gamepad screen off by going Home -> Controller Settings and hitting the Turn Off Screen button there. Hitting any button on the Gamepad turns it back on though, so it's only useful if you're using a Wiimote or Pro Controller.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Well, that option is meant for players who are trying to get a higher ranking.

It is also apparently meant for increasing the frustration and apathy rankings in people with limited time for games who don't want to waste what little free time they have replaying the same poo poo for no reason. Just posting so other people don't make the same mistake.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

One thing to note though, at least in Bayonetta 2, if you turn off the gamepad screen it will stop playing audio as well. Which kinda sucks if you're using headphones.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Samurai Sanders posted:

To me a game is like reading a novel, I want to relax

Bayonetta isn't really the most relaxing game ever

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Fremry posted:

So while all of you play Bayonetta, I started playing Super Mario Galaxy based on the recommendations here, and it's sooooo good. I definitely like it better than Super Mario 3D world, and hope they do something similar as the next Wii U mario game.

Lucky for you Mario Galaxy 2 exists. The first 1 is incredible, the sequel is better. They streamlined the level selection/comet business, added Yoshi (who loving works in 3D), and fixed other small problems/minor annoyances.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thedouche posted:

Lucky for you Mario Galaxy 2 exists. The first 1 is incredible, the sequel is better. They streamlined the level selection/comet business, added Yoshi (who loving works in 3D), and fixed other small problems/minor annoyances.

Uh... if he liked Galaxy more than 3D world, he'll probably like it LESS because of most of that.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's what the New Super Mario Bros. series is, all of them are like that. They started making new 2D Mario platformers again back with the original New Super Mario Bros. for the DS, and have made one entry in that series for each console they put out since then. Or if by "this format" you mean Galaxy, then there's Galaxy 2, obviously, and after that there's 3D Land and 3D World, which go in quite a different direction from the Galaxies though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh... if he liked Galaxy more than 3D world, he'll probably like it LESS because of most of that.
No, I didn't like Galaxy very much. And either way, what I like about SMB is the memories of playing it with my brother as a kid, not necessarily the game itself, so I think I will sell NSMBU and get some other game.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, I didn't like Galaxy very much. And either way, what I like about SMB is the memories of playing it with my brother as a kid, not necessarily the game itself, so I think I will sell NSMBU and get some other game.
Have you ever considered that maybe you actually don't enjoy playing video games? Just a thought.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

irlZaphod posted:

Have you ever considered that maybe you actually don't enjoy playing video games? Just a thought.
To me, SMB (and Mariokart) are permanently associated with couch co-op. I just can't enjoy them alone.

I'll probably sell it and get Hyrule Warriors.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 26, 2014

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

To me, SMB (and Mariokart) are permanently associated with couch co-op. I just can't enjoy them alone.

Well you're in luck then because NSMBU is an excellent couch co-op game. And so is Hyrule Warriors, too! So you're good no matter which way you decide :v:

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think you're really going to like Hyrule Warriors and sink a ton of hours into it. There's quite a lot to lose yourself in if you dig it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

What kinds of games and controllers do you like?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

What kinds of games and controllers do you like?
Normal controllers.

My current most played games are Phantasy Star Online 2, Warriors games (I just got Hyrule Warriors), Super Robot Wars (currently replaying Z2-1), Earth Defense Force 4, Dark Souls 2, and now Bayonetta 2.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Normal controllers.

I'm a fan of the NES controller as well.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Normal controllers.

My current most played games are Phantasy Star Online 2, Warriors games (I just got Hyrule Warriors), Super Robot Wars (currently replaying Z2-1), Earth Defense Force 4, Dark Souls 2, and now Bayonetta 2.

Crash Bandicoot

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm a fan of the NES controller as well.

Agreedo. [holds up monstrous hand for High Five]

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Normal controllers.

The Wii U does have Tank!Tank!Tank! which is kind of like a baby version of EDF. It's really no where near as good of a game but it does let you shoot giant things swarming on buildings so it's something, I guess.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

My first night with my Wii U has been spent with the system update download repeatedly failing at various points for no reason despite the console being 6 feet away from my router.

Way to go Nintendo.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I unlocked what I presume to be the final area in Pikmin 3 the area with 0/0 fruit and the blob that's obsessed with Olimar. If I finish that mission does the game end? I've got exploring and fruit to do in the other zones that I'd like to wrap up before ending the game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wildtortilla posted:

I unlocked what I presume to be the final area in Pikmin 3 the area with 0/0 fruit and the blob that's obsessed with Olimar. If I finish that mission does the game end? I've got exploring and fruit to do in the other zones that I'd like to wrap up before ending the game.

Yes but after you beat the game it keeps your save and you can just reload the final day and go other places.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

There's no postgame or anything like that. The feature that lets you go back to earlier days will mean you can still go back to collect fruit later, but you might as well just get all the fruit first.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

You should beat the game first in case you get bored collecting everything and just drop the game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The plight of the jrpg gamer.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why would you even play Pikmin if you didn't want to collect all the stuff.

That makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Collecting most of the stuff can be ok sometimes.

• Locked thread