Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ya it truly looks like quite the experience. thats a desktop grade os if ive seen one. an A+ desktop experience, on superior hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
apple mac os 10.10 yosemite imac retina

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the true yosemite experience irl

all the stuff looks painted on the screen lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the ultimate desktop

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

debian is a real democracy. everything is run by committee. screaming shitfits are mostly performed in public. it is arguable that it is possible to abuse process by design

ian jackson being a total dick about systemd, raising every possible concern, 'abusing' the process to slow his opponents, and finally getting hosed despite it all is how poo poo is supposed to work. it is ok if it is ugly and often mean

I'd even agree w this, but gently caress that guy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theadder posted:

the ultimate desktop

congratulations on your ability to select and purchase consumer goods. you must be an upstanding citizen to whom visa and mastercard kowtow monthly!

i assume you're gonna install linux on it because you keep shitposting in the linux thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001
whoa man quit harshin on his mel

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

congratulations on your ability to select and purchase consumer goods. you must be an upstanding citizen to whom visa and mastercard kowtow monthly!

The os is free. Unlike your machine for which you paid the Microsoft tax so you could install Linux.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

haha i never thought of it like that: os x is now free and it is a much better value than some free cobbled together open sores poo poo

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

The os is free. Unlike your machine for which you paid the Microsoft tax so you could install Linux.

what slashdot comment is this from

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

joke's on you

i install linux on macs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
for a few years linus torvalds used a dual-cpu power mac g5 for his work desktop

that was primo hardware for desktop linux at the time

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I dunno just saw some poo poo on reddit about someone getting their Microsoft tax back and I was like 'is that still a thing?' And then there was this thread where everyone is arguing like it's Slashdot 1999 and it just came to me.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

joke's on you

i install linux on macs

eh, i think thats ok, everyone has useless hobbies like installing hobbyist unfinished OSs onto their machines. if u have the income, i say why not. probably cheaper than painting warhammer dolls or w/e

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

ill eat the $50 or whatever MS charged the OEM instead of paying the extra hardware premium for a macbook.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

IPvSH6T posted:

ill eat the $50 or whatever MS charged the OEM instead of paying the extra hardware premium for a macbook.

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

good stuff

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Last Chance posted:

everyone has useless hobbies like installing hobbyist unfinished OSs onto their machines

i wouldn't say apple is useless

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
incidentally apple gives no fucks if you install linux on their poo poo. it is supported in the sense that they are totally cool w/ it @ the apple store.

they boot their own media to run diagnostics anyway

the even pro-er choice for linux is lenovo. they have a long list of laptop SKUs that are "certified for linux," where they actually guarantee drivers exist and poo poo. unfortunately lenovo usually costs slightly more than apple if you want lenovo's actually-good hardware

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 26, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the best is when some dumb baby bought a netbook and somehow managed to get it without windows installed and he waas just *outraged* that it cost only $10 less.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wild EEPROM posted:

the best is when some dumb baby bought a netbook and somehow managed to get it without windows installed and he waas just *outraged* that it cost only $10 less.

if you are trying to save money with a linux desktop you are doing it wrong.

historically linux has required gobs more RAM than windows, back when RAM was expensive. it also used to have the practical requirement of SCSI to get reasonable performance and bug-free operation. ide "worked" but holy poo poo so many buggy controllers out there

now the big thing is wireless/bt/rfkill: you are gonna want intel wireless + bluetooth, so you are gonna want an intel laptop w/ all the expensive stuff

and naturally the best laptops to run linux are the most expensive ones on the market: lenovo's business-class offerings

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

historically linux has required gobs more RAM than windows, back when RAM was expensive.

oh so that's why linux always demanded a swap partition? i could never work that out

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
is that true to this day? (srs) i always read from nerds how they use linux for minimal systems. Has linux become efficient or are these nerds just idiots?

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013

qntm posted:

oh so that's why linux always demanded a swap partition? i could never work that out

the swap partition is needed because Linux is piss garbage for poors and they literally couldn't afford to hire someone to figure out how to just loving use a page file

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
does linux support swap/hibernate files yet?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Ericadia posted:

is that true to this day? (srs) i always read from nerds how they use linux for minimal systems. Has linux become efficient or are these nerds just idiots?

I haven't tried to install linux in years, but I seem to recall at the time asking my install-linux-advocate friend "what is this swap partition thing it's asking for" and him explaining that linux needs that as somewhere to put stuff that won't fit in RAM, and I don't remember asking the obvious question "why does linux need that, windows never did" but I imagine the reply would have been a hurriedly changed subject

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qntm posted:

I haven't tried to install linux in years, but I seem to recall at the time asking my install-linux-advocate friend "what is this swap partition thing it's asking for" and him explaining that linux needs that as somewhere to put stuff that won't fit in RAM, and I don't remember asking the obvious question "why does linux need that, windows never did" but I imagine the reply would have been a hurriedly changed subject

pagefile.sys lol

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

linux has had good support for swap files since 2.6 and you can suspend or hibernate to a swap file just fine.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ericadia posted:

minimal systems these days still have way more ram than the average 486 did.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ericadia posted:

a "minimal system" in 2014 has like 512 mb of ram

e:f;b

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 26, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Deus Rex posted:

linux has had good support for swap files since 2.6 and you can suspend or hibernate to a swap file just fine.

swap files have always worked, but they have always had disadvantages

e.g. you still can't use kdump

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

historically linux has required gobs more RAM than windows, back when RAM was expensive. it also used to have the practical requirement of SCSI to get reasonable performance and bug-free operation. ide "worked" but holy poo poo so many buggy controllers out there

IDE was basically the winmodem of drive connectors so burning a cd in the 90s would just make a coaster if you moved the mouse cursor around at the same time

penus was doing you a favor

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a "minimal system" in 2014 has like 512 mb of ram

e:f;b

this is a gross exaggeration, look at any consumer router for a counterexample

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

this is a gross exaggeration, look at any consumer router for a counterexample

i got the 512 mb number from logging into my consumer router

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

swap files have always worked, but they have always had disadvantages

e.g. you still can't use kdump

kdump has never worked in any meaningful sense

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

kdump has never worked in any meaningful sense

i've used kdump many times.

the only reliable way to get a kernel problem fixed w/out being a kernel developer is to send kdump data to red hat.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ericadia posted:

when I started using it around 2005, it ran as fast as or faster than windows 2000 on my glorious PII+192MB RAM shitbox

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

IPvSH6T posted:

when I started using it around 2005, it ran as fast as or faster than windows 2000 on my glorious PII+192MB RAM shitbox

i totally believe the PII part. i have used linux on systems slower than a PII and found it to be pretty ok

it's the memory bit. windows 2000 + ie6 will happily co-exist inside of 64 mb of ram. firefox alone, in 2005, would hit 192 mb just loading "about :blank"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qntm posted:

you dont ~need~ swap, you can run without it (this is how most cloud vms come, from digital ocean/aws etc)

you can also change the kernel param vm.swappiness to 0 so it won't put unused stuff into swap

but if you hit max memory without swap the oom killer will just start blowing up potentially important stuff