Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

greententacle posted:

Well I haven't seen any anti-vaxxers latching onto Children of Earth when the government was going to use 'vaccines' as the cover for kids being kidnapped and handed over to junkie aliens, so I guess we can hope this one gets overlooked and not used as ammunition by the wrong people. Or maybe in the finale the Doctor will say he was wrong, because it turns out that Missy, like the Master, is a Time Lord with mental illness that has gone off her meds.

It's nothing to do with anti-vaxers or any organised campaign, the problem is that it perpetuates the harmful and widely-held misapprehension that mental illness isn't real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
In a way, I'm thankful for this episode. I've been trying so hard to watch this season critically, to be able to recognize bad episodes when I see them and to be able to say things about them. And that's been very hard this season because the worst we've really had is Deep Breath not hitting its stride until halfway through and Kill the Moon's shaky, controversial ideas.

But finally, I can recognize that this was a Bad Episode, and I can articulate reasons why!

The interesting opening pitch of the episode fell apart with the shittiest explanation ever! The plot was overly saccharine, as well as carrying a really troubling anti-medication message! Most of the children were bad actors, with the main one taking the loving cake! The parts of the plot that weren't either saccharine or stupid (and let's be fair, that was most of the episode) were just really boring! The end scene was almost offensive in its attempts to give a happy ending that was in absolutely no way asked for!

The only good part that I will grant, is that this was probably Danny Pink's strongest episode. It's far too understated to be the savior of a bad story, and it's hindered a bit by mostly only being in a position to play off the (again, pretty crap) child actors. But I liked him slowly getting actual respect from the students, and I really like that, in a show that can get really caught up in its own grandiosity, we had someone that could just be level-headed, small-focused, and unwilling to get seduced by the whole Doctor Who thing. It's not enough to save the episode, but it's good enough that I kind of wish it was in another one just so it wouldn't be stuck in this one.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Noxville posted:

That was dumb. But not fun-dumb, just boring-dumb.

the only review this episode needs.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

At least the idea that taking pills for mental health problems is a bad things explains the way Danny and Clara interact with each other.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

docbeard posted:

I don't believe for a second that Doctor Who was advocating the idea that mental illness isn't real and shouldn't be treated any more than it was advocating the idea that trees are fireproof. Which isn't to say that they didn't gently caress up, only that it's worth looking at how and why they hosed up.

Pretty sure it was deliberate on the part of the writer; William Blake, of 'the Tyger' which the episode is named after, is the poster boy for romantic madness.

He literally saw visions, wrote poems about them, and wiki says he is #38 in a poll of greatest ever Britons. So he has his fans, and some will be writers.
You don't write an episode about him unless you are a fan, and you are not a fan unless you like that theme.

And if you start from Blakean mythology, say 'ok, the Doctor is some kind of minor angel of Orc', it all makes sense.

There are Thrones and Powers beyond, and they can make a Green and Pleasant Land out of even Jerusalem...

Just not as a sci-fi genre show.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Eiba posted:

All of humanity is about to die and the Doctor has no way of stopping it. (Spoilers- no one's in danger, the trees are going to save everyone.) Clara, Danny, the kids, and the Doctor are all far away from the TARDIS.

Clara says they should get back to the TARDIS. The Doctor presumably wouldn't have bothered, because Clara had to motivate him by saying, "at least let's save the kids we have here." The Doctor agrees that this is a good idea.

When they get to the TARDIS Clara explains that she had tricked the Doctor. She believes (without asking anyone) that the kids would rather be with their parents than safe in the loving TARDIS. The Doctor basically goes, "Oh... okay. Well let's save you and Danny then. [Letting all the kids die is totally cool with me]." Clara explains that Danny wouldn't abandon the kids, (he's not a loving psychopath, I guess), and Clara doesn't want to be the last of her kind. The Doctor asks why the gently caress they even came to the TARDIS then. Clara explains that it was to save you Doctor. Let humanity save you this one time! The Doctor takes this in stride and begins to bugger off, as Clara leads Danny and the kids to what she believes is certain doom.

This is an actual thing that happened on Doctor Who.
Considering the preview to next episode I can kindof imagine this is intentionally strange? At least I hope so, if there's no twist then it's really loving dumb.

Noxville posted:

It's nothing to do with anti-vaxers or any organised campaign, the problem is that it perpetuates the harmful and widely-held misapprehension that mental illness isn't real.
I'm not so sure about that, the girl is genuinely hearing voices so it seems like her illness is real, even if it has a weird cause. The line where The Doctor implies that you shouldn't give medication to kids that are hearing voices is the bad part, I think, because it does seem to promote an anti-medical view.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
When I get stressed I forget my anger management.

Haha, Clara would rather put the kids down than deal with their grief.

Clara Oswald: Teacher of the Year

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm not so sure about that, the girl is genuinely hearing voices so it seems like her illness is real, even if it has a weird cause.

But that's not an illness given that the voices are real, that's being more in touch with the world than everyone else. Hearing voices makes you special.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
When the girl that hears voices tells you that a forest is going to show up all over Earth, and then a forest actually appears all over Earth, it's probably safe to assume that she's not just suffering from mental illness.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

I know how you feel. Charlie and the chocolate factory also had me apoplectic too.

Wtf?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I know how you feel. Charlie and the chocolate factory also had me apoplectic too.

Wtf?

You don't go telling impressionable children "don't take your meds, the voices make you special" on national television :cripes:.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Well that was a wet fart of an episode and probably the weakest of the season.

The sad thing is that "Earth has a self-aware gaiafield that is probably the explanation for cultural beliefs surrounding faeries etc and that protects the planet in times of need unbeknownst to us" could have worked, and worked very well, but the resulting episode was just so ham-handed and crap that it sucked every last bit of potential out of the concept.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Lmao at Clara just being like, let the kids die. Also talking about a child's mental health in front of other students is illegal.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Lmao at Clara just being like, let the kids die. Also talking about a child's mental health in front of other students is illegal.

Lots of Yewtree overtones this season.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You don't go telling impressionable children "don't take your meds, the voices make you special" on national television :cripes:.

I agree with all the Doctors messages!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a really common trope in fiction, and it's never good to see. This was by no means the worst incarnation of it, although unlike most it did seem like this girl was actually exhibiting symptoms that'd be good reasons to medicate.

It's an issue that's been irking me a bit more than usual recently, because I've realized that it's sort of shooting in the same direction as a genuine point, but it's never actually at the same target. When suffering from depression and such, getting to the point where you don't have to take the pills anymore is a huge step; it's definitely not one you can take lightly, and it takes a lot to get to that point, but it's a big moment when it works. It's never that way when it turns up in fiction, though, it's always 'you never needed these, stop taking them right now'.

This episode seemed to want to justify it by magically giving her sister back,but that's insulting for a whole host of other, different reasons while not necessarily fixing this one.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I was also really alarmed by the way mental illness was portrayed in this episode, to the point that it's probably the only episode of the New Series I would actively say should not have been broadcast as is. Saying that there was evidence Maeve was right is missing the point; many schizophrenics would say there was evidence their beliefs were right. Getting a clever Blake reference into your script is not a good enough reason for having a genuinely dangerous message in your show.

I'm considering complaining to the BBC about it, unless the thread can persuade me this is an overreaction.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
Looking back at the episode, it was poo poo. Like, what the gently caress? Scientifically retarded to the point where "kill the moon" was less stupid, insultingly dangerous with the topic of mental health, especially if a little kid watches it, and utterly pointlessly. So far, those were the only two episodes that I'd never watch again. The rest have been decent to really good, but those two... just never let the writers near the show again.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

Yeah, from the preview I feel like Jenna Coleman chewing the scenery and going full-on :moreevil: as... Evil Clara? Evil being masquerading as Clara? Clara was the Master all along and regenerates into Missy a la Derek Jacobi at the end of the episode? is going to be fun to watch.
Yeah it looks like a fob watch twist to me. The idea of The Master deliberately choosing to regenerate into a young woman in order to get picked up by The Doctor is pretty amusing :v:. Or maybe it's some other Time Lord.

Then again if that were the twist then I wouldn't expect them put such a big hint for it in the preview, so it could just be a fakeout.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah it looks like a fob watch twist to me. The idea of The Master deliberately choosing to regenerate into a young woman in order to get picked up by The Doctor is pretty amusing :v:. Or maybe it's some other Time Lord.

Then again if that were the twist then I wouldn't expect them put such a big hint for it in the preview, so it could just be a fakeout.

I'm guessing hypnosis or an implanted sleeper personality. That way the whole point is the Doctor trying to make her snap out of it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm placing my bets about the twist on two things that aren't going to happen, but I like the ideas of enough that I'll be disappointed when they're false.

Either A: 'Clara Oswald' never existed because, as an insane level of paradox, she's merely one of the echoes that she herself sent through the Doctor's timestream.

Or, B: That constant joke about Clara being the real Doctor is true: to throw everyone off his trail, he regenerated into a spunky young woman, hid in the early 21st century, and started traveling with Eleven.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So many other things wrong with this terrible, terrible episode have already been covered, so let me ask the nitpicking question: did the trees just have a day off in the thirtieth century? Since we know from many episodes that the earth gets solar flared to a crisp about a thousand years from now setting of an exodus with space whales and space arks and space other things, why didn't the trees stop that one?

And that whole, "You'll forget and make it legend," crap. No, people won't forget this. We're not living in 1750's Germany; there is (or at least was before the solar flare) a global communication network and absurd amounts of recording devices. People aren't going to forget the day that all the heroic astronauts on the ISS died screaming.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Every time I think about this episode I get more angry about the medications thing. It's a goddamn shame because I really enjoyed watching it the first time, but that whole subplot was either deeply irresponsible, OR active propaganda for a dangerous and harmful cultural phenomenon.

jivjov posted:

Yeah...I'm in the same boat. I really enjoyed the episode as I was watching it, but after Burk's post and some of my own contemplation, there really are some troubling undertones. I made a big ol' effortpost on the official Doctor Who facebook page...I doubt anything will come of it, but it'd be nice if the BBC would acknowledge that there's a potential issue here.

I'm with you two. I mostly enjoyed the episode as I was watching it, but the more I think about it, the worse I feel about the mental health message.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cleretic posted:

I'm placing my bets about the twist on two things that aren't going to happen, but I like the ideas of enough that I'll be disappointed when they're false.

Either A: 'Clara Oswald' never existed because, as an insane level of paradox, she's merely one of the echoes that she herself sent through the Doctor's timestream.

I wanna say this might be kinda on the right track. Evil!Clara in the promo is wearing the same outfit as she was in TNODT when she jumped into the Doctor's time stream. What if the Clara we've had this series is an echo, and next week the original Clara finally pops back into reality, and having seen all the awful poo poo the Doctor has done his entire life, is like "no, gently caress you, you're done". He isn't a good man.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Random Stranger posted:

And that whole, "You'll forget and make it legend," crap. No, people won't forget this. We're not living in 1750's Germany; there is (or at least was before the solar flare) a global communication network and absurd amounts of recording devices. People aren't going to forget the day that all the heroic astronauts on the ISS died screaming.

Haven't they used the same idea before, regarding various invasions of Earth?

At this point the world being covered with trees isn't a story for the ages, it's Tuesday.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wow everyone hates this episode except me and one or two others. Where did all the people who said bad science didn't matter go after the moon egg episode?

HD DAD posted:

I wanna say this might be kinda on the right track. Evil!Clara in the promo is wearing the same outfit as she was in TNODT when she jumped into the Doctor's time stream. What if the Clara we've had this series is an echo, and next week the original Clara finally pops back into reality, and having seen all the awful poo poo the Doctor has done his entire life, is like "no, gently caress you, you're done". He isn't a good man.

All I can say is that it will be really terrible. I haven't heard a Missy theory that isn't awful. But if Clara never existed isn't a misdirect, it is a massive gently caress you to anyone in the audience who liked Clara.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Haven't they used the same idea before, regarding various invasions of Earth?

At this point the world being covered with trees isn't a story for the ages, it's Tuesday.

Yeah, this has long been the show's go-to explanation for why people haven't been well aware of hostile aliens since the '60s or so. Which isn't to say it's an especially satisfying answer.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And that's not even mentioning why Amy didn't remember the Earth being stolen by Daleks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

docbeard posted:

Yeah, this has long been the show's go-to explanation for why people haven't been well aware of hostile aliens since the '60s or so. Which isn't to say it's an especially satisfying answer.

It's not, but at this point it's so much a part of the show's DNA that I don't mind too much.

E: With Amy's stuff (and some other bits) I'm happy to put that down to the cracks eating history.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dabir posted:

And that's not even mentioning why Amy didn't remember the Earth being stolen by Daleks.

Actually that was a plot point in Victory of the Daleks, and got waved off with the Cracks and the universe being reset.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
All units! Abort the operation! Repeat, abort the operation! An eight-year-old girl is concerned about trees!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

If they do something like that I'd have a really tough time with reconciling how Clara threw herself in the Doctor's timestream. She's either the companion who split herself into a million pieces to save the Doctor or she's some kind of sleeper agent enemy...I don't see how she's both. :colbert:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

marktheando posted:

Wow everyone hates this episode except me and one or two others. Where did all the people who said bad science didn't matter go after the moon egg episode?
I was fine with the idea that trees could protect us from a solar flare somehow (ignored the techno-babble) but the episode still felt really aimless.

Astroman posted:

If they do something like that I'd have a really tough time with reconciling how Clara threw herself in the Doctor's timestream. She's either the companion who split herself into a million pieces to save the Doctor or she's some kind of sleeper agent enemy...I don't see how she's both. :colbert:
Well, the fob watch does make you forget your old identity.

Also The Master doesn't want The Doctor dead, and he definitely wouldn't want someone else to kill him. He seems to enjoy manipulating and torturing The Doctor more than anything else. I can kindof see "Force The Doctor to fight his beloved companion" as a scheme of his.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I was fine with the idea that trees could protect us from a solar flare somehow (ignored the techno-babble) but the episode still felt really aimless.
The fact that the Doctor and co didn't actually affect anything was a bit of a problem. In Kill the Moon you can argue that they affected the decision to (not) blow up the moon dragon, but here the only thing they really seemed to accomplish was to get Maebh's sister to come home which given the stakes is fairly small.

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan

marktheando posted:

Bad science really doesn't matter - it's science fiction not science fact, however if the plot points rely on basic school-grade science to move forward it's really unforgivable when it's such complete bollocks. It'd be better to not provide a scientific explanation at all than provide a stupid or flat out wrong one.

The best sci-fi/fantasy is allegory - stripping away reality and replacing it with mumbo-jumbo to create a safe place to explore otherwise controversial or difficult ideas. It seems fairly common in bad sci-fi for the writer to get tied up in ham-fistedly using pseudo-science to justify the scenario they've created instead of focusing on the character interactions and how people respond to each other in difficult situations.

In this episode we have the scenario front-and-center and all the characters are an inconsequential background hum that might as well not be there, like visitors on a theme park ride.

vv If it's any help I only started watching it this season. I'm not annoyed with this episode because it somehow sullies Doctor Who, I'm annoyed because it was an insulting 45 minutes of TV. The effects were cool, though.

dsub fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 26, 2014

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
that ending was so loving retarded. The more I think about this episode, the more I find how absolutely stupid it is. The ice age just popped up? What kind of inbred idiot writes this junk? Oh god, no! I'm becoming a Who fan! I'm going to start randomly hating every new thing next! Then comes endless comparisons to my favorite episodes! LIKING RTD! AHHHHH! :suicide:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In Kill the Moon the Doctor said Earth wasn't his planet so it wasn't his problem and Clara had a big yell at him about being a hypocrite. In this episode he made a big deal to Clara about how Earth really is his planet.

Also the trees growing up over all the landmarks was cool as hell.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

dsub posted:

Bad science really doesn't matter - it's science fiction not science fact, however if the plot points rely on basic school-grade science to move forward it's really unforgivable when it's such complete bollocks. It'd be better to not provide a scientific explanation at all than provide a stupid or flat out wrong one.

The best sci-fi/fantasy is allegory - stripping away reality and replacing it with mumbo-jumbo to create a safe place to explore otherwise controversial or difficult ideas. It seems fairly common in bad sci-fi for the writer to get tied up in ham-fistedly using pseudo-science to justify the scenario they've created instead of focusing on the character interactions and how people respond to each other in difficult situations.

In this episode we have the scenario front-and-center and all the characters are an inconsequential background hum that might as well not be there, like visitors on a theme park ride.

But this episode did spent most of it's time on the characters? It was largely about Maeve and the other kids, the Doctor, Danny and Clara. All the tree stuff was largely an excuse to have them go on an adventure.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The fact that the Doctor and co didn't actually affect anything was a bit of a problem. In Kill the Moon you can argue that they affected the decision to (not) blow up the moon dragon, but here the only thing they really seemed to accomplish was to get Maebh's sister to come home which given the stakes is fairly small.
The implication is that they stopped humans from destroying the trees with that broadcast and thus kept the shield intact. Which was really dumb, but at least it means they did something.

Pwnstar posted:

In Kill the Moon the Doctor said Earth wasn't his planet so it wasn't his problem and Clara had a big yell at him about being a hypocrite. In this episode he made a big deal to Clara about how Earth really is his planet.
In Kill the Moon Clara confronted The Doctor about that, and I think he realized he was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I saw other people mention this regarding the "magic voices are fine! you don't need pills!", and maybe because I'm a teacher now i'm overly sensitive, but jesus gently caress Clara, "You know they're not really gifted and talented, I just tell them that to make them feel better."

That's kinda hosed up Doctor Who. Aren't you sorta aimed at kids? Is this Frank Cottrell Boyce's first episode?

Enjoyed all the Doctor bits, but the episode just felt sorta meaningless. Next week looks great though!

Dohaeris fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 26, 2014

• Locked thread