Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^It's not region locked, you can import just fine.

Tant-R also has a Game Gear port, a sequel called Ichidant-R and a Sega Ages remake alongside Bonanza Bros.

EDIT: vvv oh yeah, I forgot the PS2 version was on the international compilation.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Azazell0 posted:

Seems like only a japanese release, though? Too bad my Megadrive can only play PAL games and I have absolutely zero skill or knowledge about modding.

Tank-R is part of the Sega Classics Collection for the PS2. It's a remade version but asides from improved graphics, it's the same. The collection includes three other GCCX challenge games: Bonanza Bros., Golden Axe, and Fantasy Zone (well, Arino played Super Fantasy Zone, but they're similar).

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 25, 2014

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

^^It's not region locked, you can import just fine.

Tant-R also has a Game Gear port, a sequel called Ichidant-R and a Sega Ages remake alongside Bonanza Bros.

EDIT: vvv oh yeah, I forgot the PS2 version was on the international compilation.

Yeah but the shape of the cartridges is different. Also I don't think a JP game will run on an unmodded PAL Megadrive either. I can always emulate, but I'm a sucker for original systems.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Azazell0 posted:

Also I don't think a JP game will run on an unmodded PAL Megadrive either.

The cart size is the same, I'm pretty sure. Also yeah they will for the most part. It'll be at 50Hz (some games automatically detect 50Hz and alter themselves accordingly, but obviously only if they were planned for a PAL release), so way slower than it should be, but very few SMD games actually used regional lock-out. Hell the only one off the top of my head is Phantasy Star IV. Not to say there aren't others, but not a whole lot and generally only games towards the end of its life, at least first party-wise.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Every website I've read about it says that the Japanese MD cart won't fit into a PAL machine and I can't test it, so can't comment for myself.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Excuse me, I'll correct myself here - they are slightly wider, and there's relatively simple ways around it. But hey, as PaletteSwappedNinja and zari-gani said, there's other ways to play the game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Great episode. Like Vermin said I like how you can play along with Arino which is probably the reason I like the murder mystery games so much.

Which is why it was one of my favorite remaining episodes, though I don't think I'm telling stories out of turn that zari-gani did not like the episode at all (I think she's mentioned it in here before). So it's a divisive episode.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I feel like this has already been asked and answered, but I scoured the first page of this thread to no avail, so:

What's the fanfare music that plays, not when he clears a game altogether, but clears a particularly difficult part? In the most recent episode, at 20:20.

I sort of feel like I need that musical cue in my life for the rare occasion I do not gently caress up at a game.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

Which is why it was one of my favorite remaining episodes, though I don't think I'm telling stories out of turn that zari-gani did not like the episode at all (I think she's mentioned it in here before). So it's a divisive episode.

Huhn, did I say that? It's not one of my favourites, but I'm more indifferent about it than anything.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Huhn, did I say that? It's not one of my favourites, but I'm more indifferent about it than anything.

zari-gani posted:

I hate Tant-R so much! I also helped fake the moon landings.

Look, the evidence is right there.

I only mentioned anything since people seem to have mixed feelings. And that's cool since there's mixed feelings all around!

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 25, 2014

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
An arcade sequel WAS translated into English, called, "Puzzle & Action: Treasure Hunt." MAME supports it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Random Stranger posted:

Look, the evidence is right there.

This explains so much! No wonder why the NASA people were constantly saying "DON'T PUT THE CONTROLLER DOWN" to the moon lander crew!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
In an alternate universe, Buzz Aldrin was portrayed as being five seconds late. He was in the shot when the landing probe took off without him.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thanks for the new release. Chuckled at the sales-lady's banter with Arino.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

zari-gani posted:

Shou means prize. Adding -mashou to a verb more or less makes it "Let's [verb]".

ageru = give
agemashou = let's give

When Arino asked which shou her snack won, she said "Agema-shou" ("Let's give you one").

Then I think the narrator says "Itadakima-shou" ("Let's eat").

I translated this ep a long time ago. I forgot how much I had to struggle with puns...

I explained the -shou pun to my girlfriend and she said your sur-prized one was better. :shobon:

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
All I have to say about Tant-R is that it's probably the weirdest possible direction Bonanza Bros could've taken.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

AnotherGamer posted:

All I have to say about Tant-R is that it's probably the weirdest possible direction Bonanza Bros could've taken.

What about if they'd gone eroge?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

What about if they'd gone eroge?

It's not like it's Valis. :smith:

So the next release... will be within the week!

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Woop! Thanks for the release, and already looking forward to the next one.

Christ, that robot minigame music...

taopriest
Oct 25, 2011

"Games Are Like Baths, Without Them, We Would Get Sick" Igarashi Koji
Game Center CX 120 - Tant-R: The Hat Game

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

taopriest posted:

Game Center CX 120 - Tant-R: The Hat Game

Seriously, what is the deal with the hat game? As far as I can see, it's completely impossible to follow.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

Seriously, what is the deal with the hat game? As far as I can see, it's completely impossible to follow.

Well, it's a port of an arcade game...

taopriest
Oct 25, 2011

"Games Are Like Baths, Without Them, We Would Get Sick" Igarashi Koji
Same goes fort that Ninja game...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The ninja game seemed easier, the gifs make them seem harder than they were because of the smaller amount of frames.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

Well, the video is 30 FPS but I'm sure the game itself is 60. It still looks hard though.

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
So the next release... will be within the week!
[/quote]

Is this the truth, or one of your fibs? :P

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jakespeare posted:

Is this the truth, or one of your fibs? :P

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Why are you only showing a single file from your folder of every release for the next two years?

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
I bet whatever that is in my pocket it's gonna be.... part 1 of Captain Tsubasa :D

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The next challenge will be Magic Sword on the SNES.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

I might have missed something in the thread but why is the resolution for this new episode so small?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

I might have missed something in the thread but why is the resolution for this new episode so small?
They didn't have a very high quality copy. Not the worst they've had to work with by any means, but Tant-R was episode #120, and they're at #181 now, so it's not like it was taped two weeks ago.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kakaricho posted:

Oh, cool. I'm not familiar with the SNES port but I love the arcade game. I do wonder if it'll make for a good episode, though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The SNES version is fun, but quite straightforward as I remember it. There are a few secret paths which allow you to skip some floors and I'd guess these will come into play. The game itself should be doable, some of the later bosses were a bit hard as I recall. Gotta play it again someday.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

I've beaten that port (and I'm also really good at the arcade version; I can get to about floor 25 on one credit). If there's no cheat code on the Japanese version for infinite credits or level select then Arino is going to be in real trouble.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

TheMcD posted:

Oh god, those puns hurt. I think I wanted to slap myself once I heard the Kubrick one, because that was just incredibly ugly.
Those puns were amazing. I watched the RAW of this a few weeks ago and thought it looked like a fun episode, it's even better now knowing what they're talking about. Not an amazing episode in my opinion because of the lack of variety, but still worth watching for sure.

That game looks like a fun party game (at least in small doses), too bad it hasn't been translated from what I can tell.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 30, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cubeboy posted:

That game looks like a fun party game (at least in small doses), too bad it hasn't been translated from what I can tell.

As posted a few days ago, it's been translated a few times. Easiest to get your hands on would probably be the version in the Sega Classics Collection for the PS2.

As for it's party game nature, they did do a Tant-R tournament with the staff for the DVD version...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I tried Tant-R on an emulator and could get nowhere with the friggin' hat game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Azazell0 posted:

I tried Tant-R on an emulator and could get nowhere with the friggin' hat game.

I used to think I was pretty good at that kind of game, but after a while, I had to completely give up. That was just insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

As for it's party game nature, they did do a Tant-R tournament with the staff for the DVD version...

I think that part was better than the episode itself.