Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Man the MASON system pisses me off with it Phoenix having a shitload of information he couldn't have known at certain points. Did he know after his hearing with the bar association that Gavin set him up?

The MASON system is (supposed to be) a convenient way to convey the information of the case to the jurists and you, and is not an actual representation of reality. However, it still makes no sense and is a stupid game mechanic to dump a whole load of plot onto you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Amppelix posted:

The MASON system is (supposed to be) a convenient way to convey the information of the case to the jurists and you, and is not an actual representation of reality. However, it still makes no sense and is a stupid game mechanic to dump a whole load of plot onto you.

Like, I just rewatched it last night and aside from some stuff about Apollo the rest can be mostly reconciled (Phoenix could know about Thalassa from the news and not from a loving stamp, presumably she'd be pretty famous), that whole investigation is really poorly done though.

E: Also him just knowing who the forger was inexplicably. gently caress the MASON system

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Err, he knows who the forger is because he testified in front of him. If you are talking about Kristoph, well he mentions finding odd how Kristoph was standing for him at the disbarring commission hearing. Presumably he worked from there.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Also he has a magic pendant that can tell when people are lying.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think they kept Ema and Gumshoe out of this one to create the illusion that Fulbright would be a new recurring character in that slot. They could probably bring them back now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Also he has a magic pendant that can tell when people are lying.

Yeah, that's certainly true, given how it woks it's hard to believe Kristoph wouldn't be even a little bit suspicious though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've been replaying Apollo Justice. I played it for the first time in like 2009 as my first Ace Attorney game (the perfect way to experience it, by the way, because it's impossible to be disappointed) so my memory was pretty hazy on it. I'm up to the second case and holy poo poo, this game, and Phoenix in particular, treats Apollo like utter crap!

The first case is a whole bunch of Phoenix and Gavin going at each other throats and Phoenix taking a tiny bit of time to deliver answers to you in a condescending manner. Also, he trusts you not one single bit, and doesn't tell any of the incredibly relevant information he holds (I'm pretty sure Phoenix holds the answers to 90% of the game's mysteries at this point). He just smiles his mysterious smile and goes "Oh I'm sure you'll figure it out someday"

Then, second case. He calls you to the office, and isn't there. You go see him at the hospital, he is mysterious about everything for no reason again, but he has work for you! Oh wait, it's small-time detective work for no pay. No, wait there's a real client! Oh, no, it's just more busywork. Ha ha, joke's on you Apollo, you thought something would go your way. And at this point Polly, probably thanks to Trucy also being extremely pushy about the whole thing, sort of resigns to his fate and starts wandering the streets to try to solve this "case" where he probably won't get paid and definitely won't get to do his job.

Good god! I know Nick wasn't respected much when he was at the bench but this is something else.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Someone described Apollo as the Charlie Brown of Ace Attorney, and it's the truest thing.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The worst part about Trucy is the whole magic panties joke, really.

I know! They're not even panties, they're bloomers.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The worst part about Trucy is the whole magic panties joke, really.

There always has to be something in these loving games that makes it difficult to recommend to a normal human being, I swear

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

There always has to be something in these loving games that makes it difficult to recommend to a normal human being, I swear

It's the most Japanese thing in the series.

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad
I'm sure this has been asked like 20 times in half as many pages but screw it,

I absolutely loved every AA, and I found the Layton games pretty fun. Layton v Wright; buy or no buy?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

I absolutely loved every AA, and I found the Layton games pretty fun. Layton v Wright; buy or no buy?

Yes, buy it, it's good

E: this has been bothering me for a while but why is it that every girl not named Maya in the first 3 cases of the first game has a massive rack

Like, none of the other games are like that and it's a little jarring to go back to that one. Were the developers just really unsure their game would sell or was it for some other reason (:japan:)

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

Absolutely buy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, buy it, it's good

E: this has been bothering me for a while but why is it that every girl not named Maya in the first 3 cases of the first game has a massive rack

Like, none of the other games are like that and it's a little jarring to go back to that one. Were the developers just really unsure their game would sell or was it for some other reason (:japan:)

Penny Nichols. :colbert:

Really, my best answer is :japan: and I kind of just ignore it because it's pretty much never as flagrant in the series again.

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

Buy it yesterday.

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad

Once more unto the breach, you silver-tongued salesmen.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, buy it, it's good

Not sure why they did it, but it's not like they stopped doing it later. See: Pearl channeling Mia

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

canoshiz posted:

Not sure why they did it, but it's not like they stopped doing it later. See: Pearl channeling Mia

I forgot how loving awful spirit channeling was for the series.

Like, almost nothing good actually came out of it aside from 3-5.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

How could you forget Oldbag?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

How could you forget Oldbag?

I try to, I really really do

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad
I'm only ten minutes in but, yeah, I think it's clear I should've bought this ages ago; as soon as I got to the title screen I realised that this was the most sincerely uncynically excited I had been to play a video game since the day Dual Destinies came out, and I can't remember the last time before then. Maybe Pokemon X? It's weird, I'm usually just on Steam these days, but the few ninty games I pick up fill me with joy and genuine excitement in a way games just don't do anymore. The sound design and voice acting are all absolutely wonderful so far, and oh my god seeing Nick & Maya fully animated and voiced on a plane together just being adorable was probably worth the $50 alone

e: "Johnny Smiles... Security guard supreme" I'm in love with this game

SCROTEBUSTIN fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 20, 2014

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I finished my AJ replay. God, this game just goes so downhill. The first two cases are pretty alright by AA standards. Third case is pretty good except for the part where the arguments presented in court make no sense. And then, the Phoenix Wright Show starring Phoenix Wright begins in earnest. Plot is spoonfed to you in massive chunks and you get to prove one or two facts as Apollo and then the case is over. The whole big mystery isn't even that mysterious, and then the game ends by the villain screaming your... no, wait, Phoenix Wright's name. Phoenix Wright, the hero we all deserve. I know the executives forced Nick to have a more active role in the game, but god, could you be any more obvious?

Oh, and everything about Nick is badly written, his character makes no god damned sense. Ughhhh, I want to like this game. The first three cases are pretty good and probably worth it though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The third case looping video with some gameplay parts thrown in wasn't particularly good either.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought the third case was bad, almost every aspect of it makes no sense. It's not just that it's implausible or anything, it's that the case really doesn't work at all even under its own internal logic.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Amppelix posted:

Well, I finished my AJ replay. [...] Third case is pretty good except for the part where the arguments presented in court make no sense.

Ah, so THIS is what the video game equivalent to Stockholm Syndrome looks like.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Man, this lawyer game is awesome as long as it's not about practicing law

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Terper posted:

To be fair, nothing you do in any Ace Attorney bears any but the most superficial similarities to practicing law.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Opposing Farce posted:

To be fair, nothing you do in any Ace Attorney bears any but the most superficial similarities to practicing law.

You mean I've been wasting my time showing off my cardboard badge to everyone?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

I think we've all played these games enough to know that, regardless of whether it's going to have any purpose or not, presenting your badge in any given situation is never a bad idea. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ayn rand hand job posted:

SMH if you have a cardboard badge when this is 10 bucks.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

Yes, you summarized my exact feelings on case three! The characters are still great and the writing is still pretty good. You finally get to stick it to Gavin after he's spent the whole 2nd case being super above it all.

I have to admit, I did entirely block out of memory the part where Guitar's Serenade is played every single time someone mentions it. Impressive considering I played the case three days ago.

So I guess in summation, other than the part where you get to watch the same video clip every ten minutes, and the part where no one on the staff thought about the logic for a second, it's a good case? Hmm, this argument is sounding less convincing by the second. Look, it's not as bad as the clown case because I actually care about what's going on instead of wishing death upon everyone involved.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's not as bad as Turnabout Big Top because pedophilia isn't a plot point.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not as bad as Turnabout Big Top because pedophilia isn't a plot point.

Are you saying 3-4 is worse then?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm not sure how I feel about 3-4. It might be a bit better because I think it acknowledged what was going on as being wrong rather than just going "Oh, it's that silly puppet!"

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about 3-4. It might be a bit better because I think it acknowledged what was going on as being wrong rather than just going "Oh, it's that silly puppet!"

wait, the flashback case where you play as Mia? Am I missing something?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dahlia and Terry. I have to admit, it took me a while to remember it as well.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Waffleman_ posted:

Dahlia and Terry. I have to admit, it took me a while to remember it as well.

How old was Terry anyway though? It seemed that the implication was that Dahlia was taking advantage to him and the one in control. In Big Top it's a 30 year old man, and a 40 year old man both actively fighting over Regina.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The entire premise of 4-3 just makes me hate it most of all. They didn't even try and make it plausible, and I don't remember anyone at any point mentioning how insane it is that a 12 year old was accused of carrying a very large secret service guy up a long, vertical climb. You're also still somehow expected to like Gavin, even though he actively tried to get that kid in jail even though he knew it wasn't his fault.

2-3 and 4-3 are duking it out pretty badly though. People have already mentioned the worst parts, but as one final thing, I really didn't like that Edgeworth tried to get the real killer some leniency. Dude tried to kill a 16 year old girl by taking the law into his own hands, so my sympathy ran pretty dry for him.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

How old was Terry anyway though? It seemed that the implication was that Dahlia was taking advantage to him and the one in control. In Big Top it's a 30 year old man, and a 40 year old man both actively fighting over Regina.

20 and 14 apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Franziska was the prosecutor for 2-3.

• Locked thread